• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2011

ChrisTaylor

I love it! ...

Funny, that :smile:

I was disappointed in it, on top of hot pasta, because of the wilting collapse. I should have known - that I can remember, you don't see nori - in kizami form - on top of hot Japanese dishes. It's all katsuo bushi with its wonderfully snaky waving in the thermals. Sheet nori in (well, on) ramen's common enough, of course.

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Norm, that Chicken Parmesan is a thing of beauty. When I do it -- which hasn't been in a LONG time, something I must remedy -- I used a mix of bread crumbs and grated Parmigiano to coat the cutlets.

Inquiring minds want to know: What's martini chicken?

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Norm, that Chicken Parmesan is a thing of beauty. When I do it -- which hasn't been in a LONG time, something I must remedy -- I used a mix of bread crumbs and grated Parmigiano to coat the cutlets.

Inquiring minds want to know: What's martini chicken?

Hi Kaye. Martini chicken is a recipe from Chef Pino Luongo. Chicken breasts are pounded flat, dipped in flour, then beaten egg then finally in grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese only-no bread crumbs, browned in a skillet with some oil then finished in the oven with some dry white wine and blanched carrots and green beans (Haricot verts), I usually serve it with linguine and a butter sauce. You can probably find the recipe if you google Breast of Chicken, Martini-Style.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

My take on an Ecuadorian coastal fave - this is the beef version of Seco de Chivo, Esmeraldas style. (I can't find good kid goat up here in the sierra to save my life, and lamb is more work than I was willing to devote to dinner last night.) It's a mild sour yogurt curry, and I had it over mixed quinua, cracked barley, and gold rice.

DSCN8019-1.jpg

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Canadian Thanksgiving with turkey and ham yesterday, so we needed a change for tonight. While I was shopping at Safeway early Friday morning, I picked up 7 packages of two 2 inch thick lamb chops at 50% off. Worked out to around $5.99 per pair. Did them up on the BBQ and they were terrific - tender and juicy.

lambchops9926.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Kim – You are so magical with simple food. Beautiful ribs, colorful salad, and magnifiscent Mac & Cheese.

Emily_R – Wow is right for that Gnocchi a la Romana.

Scottyboy – Thanks for the step-by-step making of those wonderful gnocchis. The dried speck chips can be habit forming.

robirdstx – The shrimps look gorgeous.

Keith_W – Beautifully photographed beef ribs.

ChrisTaylor – Paella is my favorite.Wish I had a Paella pan.

Panaderia Canadiense – yummy beef version of Seco de Chivo.

Dejah – That sure is a fine looking dish of lamb, Good after Thanksgiving turkey.

-------------------------------

It doesn't matter what your background is, it is always interesting to prepare a meal based on a theme.

Dishes I made for Rosh Hashanah a week ago.

Not your typical gedempte fleisch. Sous vided brisket (flat cut), very slow and low medium rare, with tamarind sauce. Came out tender like tenderloin. Very different tenderness than traditional braised brisket in texture and mouth-feel.

Heart tomato and pickled green tomato with sweet black garlic sauce/dressing.

Honey glazed Beets, carrots and fried apple slices with Pomegranate sauce.

Bread, typical Challah recipe, but with crashed sesame seeds and cranberries.

Brisket was on potato leeks Latkes/pancake.

dcarch

-------------------------------------------------------------------

hearttomatosalad.jpg

hearttomatosalad3.jpg

challah.jpg

carrotbeet.jpg

carrotbeet2.jpg

Brisketrosh2.jpg

Brisketrosh3.jpg

brisketrosh.jpg

Is curry big in South America then, PanCan ?

Not particularly, but it does form a significant part of Ecuadorian coastal cuisine - many of the best Esmeraldan dishes include it as a flavour (I'm thinking Encocado as the big one - that's peanut-coconut curry, traditionally cooked in the coconut, with shrimp or other seafood chunks. And now I'm drooling.) My guess is that it's because curry is big in the areas of Africa where most Esmeraldans originated, and it came with them. (For the curious, the demographics of the province of Esmeraldas are largely based on colonies of escaped British and Spanish plantation slaves.)

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Great dishes everyone! I've been lurking because I haven't made much new and/or interesting lately. My wife and daughter have been having similar but unrelated stomach issues lately, so they haven't wanted anything too flavorful.

Tonight I made pasta with pesto. The pasta was storebought, but I had made the pesto about a week earlier. It was just olive oil, a touch of fresh garlic, touch of salt and a bunch of fresh basil. No cheese because I can't eat it and my daughter is being dairy-free as a test to see what's wrong. The pesto kept its green color just fine.

pasta-with-pesto.jpg

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Open Face stuffed Marconi peppers.. with chicken and Brown rice!! The thing about Marconi's is they are long and skinny but very sweet when they turn red!!

Ready for the oven 325 F for 45mins to 1 hr

6235018205_0fb7d77e38.jpg

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels

dcarch - beautiful presentation as usual. One question - how did you cook the baby carrots so that the stems were still green? Normally when I try that they turn an unappetizing dark olive colour.

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

New little salad to plant root vegetables in as they come into season. Got inspired by a recipe from the Noma cookbook but as always made my own recipes for the components...

Edible soil is

rye flower

cocoa powder

almond meal

dried and coffee grindered red beats

melted butter

salt

superfine sugar

cooked in the oven for 4 hours at 200 and run through a fine screen

6228488563_07ba2c193f_z.jpg

Retrograde potatoes blended with cream, champagne vinegar and butter then charged in an iSi.

Then blanched veggies, roasted chantrelles and water cress.

6235999667_b0e7bc5cf3_z.jpg

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

Locatelli's follow-up to the amazing Made in Italy, Made in Sicily, landed today. Flicked through it and spotted a recipe for meatballs--pork and pecorino laced with fennel. I ended up using pork and veal mince (mostly because it was there), tho'. I mean, dead pig only gets better when it's joined by baby cow, right?

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Bin Laden ? Bin busy. A nice box of yellow plums at the neighbourhood mom'n'pop greengrocer yesterday => plum crumble today with raisins to soak up some of the juice - as well as flour, butter & sugar the crumble has rolled oats and both sliced & ground almonds:

DSCF0934.jpg

Super nostalgia here - I haven't eaten a plum crumble in more than 20 years. Served with scrambled eggs anglaise, swept under the photographic carpet.

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

dCarch - I love it! While not practicing, we've got Jewish heritage and I love your take on the meal.

ScottyBoy - the Salad 'garden' is a brilliant idea, now you've got me thinking about new presentations for thanksgiving dinner!

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting