• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2011

ChrisTaylor

mgartez,

that's some photo, to make fried rice look colorful and beautiful!

Thanks but I thought the photo was pretty bad (existing light with an iPhone). The rice actually looked much better than in the photo!

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Kim - nice looking lentils :) I really have a thing for them now ... they are a lovely comfort food.

percyn - those ribs look delish! You said they are BBQ? Seem to be missing a smoke ring :)

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Percyn - Very nice Korean Style BBQ Chicken on Fried Rice. I also made sous vide ribs.

Kim - I agree, I am too ready for fall. I too made a lamb stew, actually sous vide lamb stew. You should try sous vide. I think you will have a great time. You can make lamb stew tastes like rack of lamb.

EatNopales - Mrs. Nopales did very well with the roasted chicken.

Jmahl - lovely quails.

David Ross - Oysters and Grits with Fresh Corn, very artistic plating.

Dejah - Burgers made from a combination of ground pork, beef, and venison, that’s an incredible burger!

Dakki – Thank you.

C. sapidus – Very juicy looking pulled pork.

PopsicleToze – thanks. Those are nice size blue crabs. Bigger than what we can find here in NYC.

Paul Bacino - marinated wild Morning Dove, a devine looking dove indeed!

Keith_W – What a Spanish themes dinner party you had.

ScottyBoy - Gorgeous Gnocchi made with potatoes, parmesan and Jidori egg yolks

Kayb – The sauces on the Pollock were Honey mustard, black garlic and Vodka sauce. Wonderful German food you made. Brings back good memories. I use to live around German Town here in NYC.

Mgaretz - “who knows what fried rice “ would make an interesting item on a menu.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Meals made the past few days.

dcarch

Pan fried skate wings, with Simiji mushrooms and squash blossoms in bacon jam.

skate.jpg

skate2.jpg

Bought some pre-rubbed ribs. I just sous vide the ribs in the same package.

ribsribs.jpg

spareribsquash2.jpg

Spareribsquash.jpg

Golden squash

yellowsquash2.jpg

Celery home-grown tomato salad

celery.jpg

percyn - those ribs look delish! You said they are BBQ? Seem to be missing a smoke ring :)

Keith, you are correct, I meant more Korean BBQ style than US BBQ. The white miso glaze grilled ribs are unique with a distinctive sweet salty taste.

dcarch, great presentation as always.

Stuffed peppers right out of the late summer garden with a good bottle of wine and tempuratures cool enough to eat outside.

Stuffed Peppers 004.JPGStuffed Peppers 001.JPG

A very nice Sunday late lunch.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

percyn – everything looks fantastic, but especially that Korean BBQ and fried rice!

dcarch – just gorgeous, gorgeous food! I would love to taste that delicious looking skate! Sous vide is something that interests me. I’d love to find someone near me with a set up and do some cooking with them, but I think the Mr. Kim would finally give up on me. Besides, I’ve had a chocolate temperer on my wish list for almost 10 years now and it STILL hasn’t appeared under the tree :angry: !

Jmahl – what is the creamy/herby looking stuff on the small plate?

We are doing a Butter Chicken group cook over at Marlene’s website right now. I did the LCBO version. Mr. Kim liked it a lot. I thought it was ok. I wouldn’t ever choose to make it or order it for myself, but I ate a whole portion and didn’t actually dislike it. I’m not really sure what it was – obviously one of the spices. I like Mexican-American food, so I doubt that it’s the cumin (though even there, it’s really easy to overdue cumin). Maybe the garam masala? Whenever I’ve eaten Indian food, I taste what I can only describe as a dusty/dark taste…almost, but not quite bitter. I’m hopeless at describing flavors. This was less that way. Since I am so sensitive to heat, I used an Anaheim pepper instead of a jalapeno and the heat was just fine for me. I served roasted cauliflower and basmati rice with the chicken:

med_gallery_3331_114_75428.jpg

Here is a picture of a meal we had a few days ago. These are scallops with a lime-ginger beurre blanc, sprinkled with sesame seeds. The scallops were really outstanding. I bought at Bay Park Fish which is a small fish shop and restaurant.

6155156592_bbd9f3c224_z.jpg

Here is a picture of a meal we had a few days ago. These are scallops with a lime-ginger beurre blanc, sprinkled with sesame seeds. The scallops were really outstanding. I bought at Bay Park Fish which is a small fish shop and restaurant.

6155156592_bbd9f3c224_z.jpg

Looks and sounds delightful.It appears the scalloped were scored. So often I see people looking for that super caramelization on the flat of the scallop and super tender insides. How did the scoring, if that is what it was, work?

Heidi,

The scallops were scored. They were quite thick so I thought that would be a good way to ensure that they would cook fast. Otherwise they tend to be overdone and can become tough.

They were seared for 2-3 minutes on each side. They caramelized fast but inside they were still very tender.

Jmahl – what is the creamy/herby looking stuff on the small plate?

Herb butter.

Edited by heidih
Fix quote tags (log)

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

The Continued saga, Of Chopped Protein burger Project.

This is the Greek chopped Chicken Burger.

Chopped chicken breast, shallot, garlic clove, feta cheese, dried oregano, blanched spinach and a Flax seed Packet.. I burned the oven dried tomato.. Yikes.

Topped with greek yogurt sauce.. mint, Fage 0% Yogurt, lemon zest, cucumbers and a local greek salad dressing!!

6164740678_240b8b759a.jpg

This time I got a nice bit a char.. but not to much

Its good to have Morels

Great food, everyone. Paul Bacino, I like the Greek burger. JMahl, you've reminded me that it's been awhile since I cooked stuffed peppers, and I should get on it. Kim Shook, I liked the football feast. Looks like you're ready for the season.

Tonight's dinner here, a sandwich of homemade Calabrian sausage and spicy peperonata, and side dish of sun-dried zucchini.

SausageSandwich023.jpg

For dessert, homemade chocolate gelato.

ChocGelato031.jpg

The recipes are from Rosetta Costantino's My Calabria. The sausage is a pork sausage with fennel seed, sweet paprika, and ground hot pepper--very good! For the peperonata, I stewed onions, garlic, tomatoes, and various colored gypsy peppers, along with some spicy padron peppers.

The chocolate gelato is supposed to have a spicy kick from ground hot pepper, but I decided to go for a milder spice of ground cinnamon. The gelato is intense and chocolate-y, made from cocoa, and straightforward to cook.

To make the zucchini side dish, I started with a pile of sliced zucchini that I sun-dried myself.

ZucchiniPile001.jpg

You have to use the big, tasteless, mature zucchini that nobody else wants. Baby zucchini (I'm told) will fall apart during drying. The sun-drying process concentrates the sweet flavor of those big zucchini, and gives them a pleasant crunchy texture. Usually I loathe zucchini (I'm always giving away the zucchini from my CSA box), but I'm a fan of this dish. After the dried zucchini are boiled briefly to tenderize them, they're sauteed with garlic, olive oil, sweet paprika, and ground hot pepper. The method and recipe for sun-dried zucchini are in My Calabria.

Edited by djyee100 (log)

Random meals from late summer:

Grilled Pork Chops, Ratatouille, cous cous

grilled pork chops ratatouille cous cous.jpg

Bryson Farms Greens, Beets

bryson famrs greens beets.jpg

Chicken, corn zucchini gratin, roasted tomato

chicken_corn zuchini gratin.jpg

O'Brien Farms Hanger Steak

o\

Lemon Roasted Chicken

lemon roasted chicken.jpg