• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2011

ChrisTaylor

C. sapidus, your beautful creamy corn soup gave me the urge to make my creamy corn dish.

nickrey, amazing steak with perfect grill marks. Your sous vide pork inspired me. I have one in the bath now.

Panaderia Canadiense, riccotta gnocchi, on a plate that coordinates with the table cloth, very pleasant atmosphere.

Rico, are you telling me that the Chinese takeout didn’t have fresh made vanilla-almond peach pie.? :-)

Genkinaonna, beautifully plated Ricotta gnocchi.

Kim, Grilled cheese with bacon! How about a recipe and step-by-step instructions? (kidding!) BTW, all your photos are very nice.

percyn, Roasted Chicken, Israeli Couscous, and Asparagus make a delicious dinner and a very balanced meal.

Kayb, Grilled tilapia, mac and cheese, fresh tomatos, fresh sugar snap peas; you are using all my favorite ingredients.

ChrisTaylor, I had Roast rack of pork a few days ago. I think yours looked better than mine.

nikkib, wonderful parade of very healthy eating.

rarerollingobject, even you are not a vegetarian, but you sure are masterful with the greens (and the reds. Love the beets)

------------------------------------------------------

For dinner, it was stir fried watermelon rind with lean turkey meatballs

And Crab cakes on creamy corn, tomatoes and asparagus

Dcarch

watermelonmeatball.jpg

watermelonmeatball2.jpg

crabcakeasparagus.jpg

crabcakeasparagus2.jpg

dcarch - I am intrigued by the watermelon rind stir fry. Was that just ordinary fresh watermelon rind - the white with a touch of the red flesh? Can you describe how you stir fried it? Is it more of a texture item that carries the flavors added to the wok or does it retain that bit of cucumber like sweetness I associate with watermelon? An innovative use for an item I usually toss in the bin seems like a great idea.

dcarch - I am intrigued by the watermelon rind stir fry. Was that just ordinary fresh watermelon rind - the white with a touch of the red flesh? Can you describe how you stir fried it? Is it more of a texture item that carries the flavors added to the wok or does it retain that bit of cucumber like sweetness I associate with watermelon? An innovative use for an item I usually toss in the bin seems like a great idea.

heidih, It is too bad that watermelon rind is not used more often. It is a wonderful vegetable.

The part that is closest to the skin (you peel the skin off with a peeler) can be a little tough and needs to be cooked a little longer. But I take the easy way out by microwave it first before the stir frying.

The flavor can be sweet, depends how much red flesh you include, otherwise the taste reminds me remotely of cucumber also.

dcarch

dcarch, I'm fascinated by the watermelon rind, and will have to try that with the one I have sitting on my kitchen island right now. But you outdid yourself with the plating on the creamy corn and crab cakes -- so creative! (Bet it was yummy, too!)

How long do you microwaveit before stirfrying, and what kind of sauce do you use?

Edited by kayb (log)

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Thank you kayb.

How long? It depends on how much rind, what power your microwave, and what temperature the rind is when you start. I think you can try setting at 1/2 power for 5 minutes and try again if it's not soft enough for you.

The sauce was just chicken broth, pepper, and salt.

Just want to point out, don't throw the rest of the watermelon away after you use the rind. The red flesh is edible too. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

dcarch

------------------------------------------------------

And Crab cakes on creamy corn, tomatoes and asparagus

Dcarch

That looks amazingly great. Gotta try that.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Edited by heidih
Fix quote tags (log)

dcarch – I just loved the tomatoes under the crab cakes – and what a perfect, classic summer combination – crab, corn and tomatoes!

Tried my hand at Juicy Lucys for dinner tonight. Not a great success as a lot of my cheese leaked out the sides. I thought that I had a good seal, but apparently not. Burgers, tots and a 'sliced salad' :raz: :

med_gallery_3331_114_10720.jpg

Cheese:

med_gallery_3331_114_267940.jpg

Mr. Kim also had some yellow squash:

med_gallery_3331_114_112918.jpg

So, obviously, we did have the effect of the Juicy Lucy – in the middle of the burger and it was good. But no better than a double cheeseburger made with skinny burgers cooked on a griddle – my favorite burger, anyway. So I don’t think that I’ll bother with trying to perfect my technique. I am glad that I bothered to get out the griddle, though. I’d forgotten how good it works for burgers.

dcarch – I just loved the tomatoes under the crab cakes – and what a perfect, classic summer combination – crab, corn and tomatoes!

Tried my hand at Juicy Lucys for dinner tonight. Not a great success as a lot of my cheese leaked out the sides. I thought that I had a good seal, but apparently not. Burgers, tots and a 'sliced salad' :raz: :

med_gallery_3331_114_10720.jpg

Cheese:

med_gallery_3331_114_267940.jpg

Mr. Kim also had some yellow squash:

med_gallery_3331_114_112918.jpg

So, obviously, we did have the effect of the Juicy Lucy – in the middle of the burger and it was good. But no better than a double cheeseburger made with skinny burgers cooked on a griddle – my favorite burger, anyway. So I don’t think that I’ll bother with trying to perfect my technique. I am glad that I bothered to get out the griddle, though. I’d forgotten how good it works for burgers.

SO good to have you back, Kim! I await pics from your trip :wub:

Your burgers made me drool and I just ate dinner!

Dcarch Lovely dish and even better photo's as always, how do you get such beautiful light? Is it just always so sunny where you live or are you using a lamp?

Kim Very nice hamburger, but what are "tots"?

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them."

-Winston Churchill

Thank you! These: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tater_Tots - (can't link for some reason) are 'tots' - short for 'tater tots'. For a bunch of so-called 'gourmets' :wink: , you'll find they are mysteriously popular here at eG!

Edited by Kim Shook (log)

Thank you! These are 'tots' - short for 'tater tots'. For a bunch of so-called 'gourmets' :wink: , you'll find they are mysteriously popular here at eG!

Yeeeesss, I also have no idea what tater tots are, a quick google only confuses me further, are they hashbrowns? Croquettes? Baked potato mash? Color me confused!

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them."

-Winston Churchill

Oh wow, that sounds and looks great, I really have to give that a try! Thanks for the link gfweb and thanks for the introduction kim :smile:

Edited by Deus Mortus (log)

-Winston Churchill

Thanks Kim. I just saw Steven Raichlen making Juicy Lucy on PBS TV. Yours look better than his.

BTW, to all, the creamed Corn looked so yellow because there were four egg yolks in it. The egg whites were in the crab cakes.

Deus Mortus, thank you. For normal everyday cooking dishes, taking pictures should be quick and easy. You don't want the dishes to get cold. I just use one very bright Daylight CFL bulb with a white reflector and snap away. A few seconds of work.

dcarch

Thank you! These are 'tots' - short for 'tater tots'. For a bunch of so-called 'gourmets' :wink: , you'll find they are mysteriously popular here at eG!

Yeeeesss, I also have no idea what tater tots are, a quick google only confuses me further, are they hashbrowns? Croquettes? Baked potato mash? Color me confused!

Oh to be able to wipe any knowledge or memories of tater tots from my mind, so that I could eat them for the first time...again. And then work my way through the natural evolution of dipping sauces until I end up back at a mix of Sriracha and mayo as the ultimate tater tot spouse...

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Tonight was smoked pork tenderloin over sauteed fennel and onion with a roasted red pepper sauce. Side was spinach and boiled new potatoes with a little balsamic vinaigrette.

The photo I forgot to include...

smoked pork.jpg

robirdstx - looks wonderful! How did it taste?

Thanks! It was interesting. This was my first time using fresh sage. I really liked the crisp texture of the leaves and their flavor was very mild, not at all like dried or rubbed sage. We will be having this again. Next time I want to have them with white beans. I also have a recipe to try that uses them with lentils and sausage.

robirdstx, at what temp and for how long did you fry them to get them crispy? Mine never seem to crisp up!

And that very sauce is marvelous over cheese ravioli. I also like doing it with browned butter alone (limp sage leaves and all....)

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

robirdstx, at what temp and for how long did you fry them to get them crispy? Mine never seem to crisp up!

Hi kayb. I preheated a non-stick pan to just under medium on my electric stove top, added the olive oil and let it heat up a bit, then added the butter and waited until it had foamed for a few seconds before I added the sage leaves. I didn't time it, but the leaves probably fried for about a minute and a half before I turned them and let them fry for another 30 seconds. Then I removed them from the pan and let them drain on paper toweling while I tossed the pasta with the oil and butter.

More ricotta gnocchi - I didnt get them quite right, they were a bit "heavy" not sure what was wrong, they were tasty enough just think something was missing, very easy to do though - thanks soba, will be adding this to the repetoire and perfecting for sure! Mine were with peas, broadbeans, chilli and asparagus with grated tymsboro cheese.

001.JPG

004.JPG

006.JPG

008.JPG

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

I want some gnocchi now!!

A few pictures to share:

Couple loaves of fresh bread

P3090123.JPG

Ruben and fries

P3160125.JPG

Spaghetti and bacon mozzarella stuffed venison meatballs