• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2011

ChrisTaylor

Everyone's food is looking so amazing! Great inspiration!

Tonight we shared a grilled beef rib eye. I had mushrooms on my half. :wub:

GrilledSteakMushrooms-01ex.jpg

ETA: almost forgot the salad!

HoneyMustardSalad-02ex.jpg

Some of the greens (leaf lettuce, spinach, and arugula) are from my garden.

Edited by robirdstx (log)

duckbreast.jpg

Duck breast, jacket potatoes (cooked in duck fat--of course, of course, of course), roast beetroot, bok choy, slow-cooked green beans with dill and garlic.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

More duck! Leftover five-spice duck, meat and skin, crisped up with cashews, cranberries and honey till hot and toasty, and then piled onto greens and mint leaves. Dressed with a mix of pomegranate, lime and mandarin juices, grated ginger, minced Thai birdseye chillis, soy sauce and olive oil. The other half of the pomegranate was whacked over the top of the salad as a garnish. It's a Jamie Oliver recipeand is truly the tastiest use of leftover duck or turkey, IMO.

Preceded by a couple of very strong mint juleps as I had so much lovely mint to use up.

2011-04-10 at 19.54.38.jpg

Last night, the first Boston butt on the grill this season. Details over on the Behold My Butt thread. Served with arepas and black bean-corn salad.

barbecue dinner.jpg

Possibly the best arepas I've ever made.

arepa.jpg

Recently, gyoza, fried rice and pickled vegetables.

dumplings.jpg

And one night when a full-blown meal was NOT on the agenda, potato skins!

potato skins.jpg

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

dcarch – that crunchy pork skin is just amazing – I could make an entire meal of just THAT! And the Aebleskivers are lovely!

Dinner last night was a cheese plate with crackers and French bread:

med_gallery_3331_114_26963.jpg

Clockwise from 12 o’clock: Cowgirl Creamery Buckaroo, Drunken Goat and Robiola. Whole Foods has a section with small bits and pieces of cheese. This is a great way of trying out new cheeses and it makes a great 2 person cheese plate.

Ham, turkey, radishes with sea salt and assorted pickles and olives:

med_gallery_3331_114_35413.jpg

And Brunswick stew:

med_gallery_3331_114_155188.jpg

Not homemade, but a locally produced brand that is almost as good as mine!

Last night was a chicken mushroom roulade cooked sous vide at 149 deg/60 minutes. Mushroom filling was a mixed variety of wild mushrooms sauteed with shallots and deglazed with pedro ximenez sherry then sprinkled with comte' - Cooled and run through the food processor with a little EVOO. Seared roulade in a hot pan with butter to finish. Served with a chunky saffron/sundried tomato/roasted red pepper/almond sauce, peeled asparagus cooked sous vide at 180 deg/20 minutes, and orrechitte.

Drank: Craggy Range Winery Te Muna Road Vineyard Pinot Noir 2008

I know.....pictures.... next time. I swear. It was a 8.5 out of 10. The wine was a 9 out of 10. Very good Pinot from New Zealand.

jen

Can you eat that?

Cass - beautiful sushi rolls! And starting with inside-out ones too..very nice.

SobaAddict70 - such a spring-y dish..morels and leeks! Be still my beating heart. :smile:

Kim Shook - radishes and sea salt are such a classic and lovely combination.

Dinner here was another Rozanne Gold recipe, ras el-hanout chicken with tomato-ginger chutney. And butter-scorched broccoli. Normally I like to mix my own spice blends, but this ras el-hanout has (copied from my spice merchant's website): Paprika, Cumin, Ginger, Coriander Seed, Cassia, Turmeric, Fennel Seed, Allspice, Cardamom Green, Dill Seed, Galangal, Nutmeg, Orris Root, Bay Leaves, Caraway Seed, Rose Petals, Lavender, Sichuan Pepper, Grains of Paradise, Long Pepper, Black Pepper, Cubeb Pepper, Lemon Myrtle, Mastic, Cayenne, Cloves, Mace, Brown Cardamom, Whole Kashmiri Saffron Stigma...

..so yeah, glad I'm not bankrolling that one!

This recipe is a real winner though, the whole meal was entirely do-able in 20 minutes and was delicious as hell. Will be making this again and again, I foresee.

2011-04-11 at 19.49.42.jpg

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)

Last night was a chicken mushroom roulade cooked sous vide at 149 deg/60 minutes. Mushroom filling was a mixed variety of wild mushrooms sauteed with shallots and deglazed with pedro ximenez sherry then sprinkled with comte' - Cooled and run through the food processor with a little EVOO. Seared roulade in a hot pan with butter to finish. Served with a chunky saffron/sundried tomato/roasted red pepper/almond sauce, peeled asparagus cooked sous vide at 180 deg/20 minutes, and orrechitte.

Drank: Craggy Range Winery Te Muna Road Vineyard Pinot Noir 2008

I know.....pictures.... next time. I swear. It was a 8.5 out of 10. The wine was a 9 out of 10. Very good Pinot from New Zealand.

jen

That is a lovely wine, and I bet it went really well with that meal!

Corinna Heinz, aka Corinna

Check out my adventures, culinary and otherwise at http://corinnawith2ns.blogspot.com/

This weekend.. I made some pork riblets aka featherbones. These things are popular in the Mid-west.

I seasoned them with Cayanne Pepper , Raw Sugar, Malbar pepper, granulated garlic, and a touch of salt. I seasoned both sides and Layed them on dried rosemary. I dry cured the pork over night in the frig. I actually smoke mine on my brinkman for 1 pan of applewood and put into the oven to finish, 275 about 1 hr covered. Once the meat begins to pull away from the bones I stop the cooking, then I will baste with Sauce of choice and broil.

Sous vide egg and asparagus!!

5607631575_145d5382c8.jpg

Its good to have Morels

It is still early here on the west coast of canada and I haven't had breakfast yet. I'm sitting here sipping my coffee and drooling over every one of Shelby's meals from the wings to the tacos. OOOH and those bagels. Smoked salmon and bagels would make the perfect breakfast.

Menuinprogress, How did you cook your potatoes? Just sauted with onions and peppers? I'd like to try your Basque method with halibut.

Thanks Dakki.

Rarerollingobject, Your duck looks just perfect. Moe loves duck and this reminds me that we haven't had roast duck in a while.

Dcarch, I'd be happy with a plate of your pork cracklins. They are like candy to me.

Robirdstx, perfectly cooked steak. I'd like mushrooms on my half too.

Kayb, I have a pork butt in the freezer. I've only ever cooked them in the oven. This one will be going on the grill.

1247946051_9w6Y3-M.jpg

We had halibut again this week. Grilled with roasted potato wedges.

1244946962_erG98-M.jpg

Clams another night served with just bread to sop up the sauce.

1245997122_x3yys-M.jpg

And, Saturday night I roasted a small sirloin tip roast just so I could have Yorkshire Pudding.

1246522105_bZwj2-M.jpg

Moe had a sandwich for breakfast from the leftover beef.

Cass – that is some wonderful looking sushi – that it is your first attempt is amazing!

Soba – gorgeous pasta and mushrooms. Mr. Kim loves mushrooms and while I don’t, I appreciate the beauty! I need to try this one for him!

rarerollingobject – what a beautiful crust on the chicken! And I love the idea of tomato/ginger chutney.

Ann – those clams look so lovely. Steamed shellfish with lots of bread for sopping is one of my favorite meals.

Pre-dinner snack last night:

med_gallery_3331_114_310224.jpg

Lesley Stowe Raincoast Crisps fig and olive crackers, honey from a friend’s hive and goat cheese.

Bite:

med_gallery_3331_114_22008.jpg

These crackers were maybe a little TOO rustic on their own, but the combination of them with the cheese and honey was fantastic!

Dinner was Marlene’s Beef Stroganoff, green beans w/ Italian dressing and some good sourdough rolls from The Fresh Market:

med_gallery_3331_114_66073.jpg

This was so good and so simple to make and I appreciated the lack of fungus :laugh: ! This is my new favorite stroganoff recipe!

Beef short rib stew just the way my Dad made it all those years ago for our small prairie town cafe. This was a favourite of the many American hunters who frequented our area during duck hunting and deer hunting season. Clark Gable was said to have been a frequent visitor. :hmmm:

The dish is one of the family-style soup tureens from the set my Mom and I brought from Hong Kong when we immigrated in 1958.

1srew5280.jpg

2srew5293.jpg

Oven-roasted vegetables: fennel with five-spice powder, parsnips with cumin, baby carrots with maple flakes, and spaghetti squash with butter.

veg5303.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Between Deja's stew, Kim's Stroganoff, and Ann's roast, I could happily enjoy several meals worth of beefy comfort. Dejah, five-spice fennel sounds intriguing - how did it turn out?

I am giving up on the Thai Cooking at Home thread for now, so I'll post tonight's meal here - all based on recipes in David Thompson's Thai Food:

Stir-fried beef with spices: sliced sirloin marinated with ground cumin, coriander, and fish sauce, stir-fried, and then simmered with roasted chile paste, fried shallots, white pepper, cayenne, and chopped flat-leaf coriander.

Soup of minced pork and celery: Dead simple - chicken stock, soy sauce, sugar, scallions, shiitake mushrooms, ground pork, cilantro, and white pepper. We added sliced glalangal, just because we had some.

Jasmine rice and salted cucumbers.

396204824.jpg

Between Deja's stew, Kim's Stroganoff, and Ann's roast, I could happily enjoy several meals worth of beefy comfort. Dejah, five-spice fennel sounds intriguing - how did it turn out?

I am giving up on the Thai Cooking at Home thread for now, so I'll post tonight's meal here - all based on recipes in David Thompson's Thai Food:

Stir-fried beef with spices: sliced sirloin marinated with ground cumin, coriander, and fish sauce, stir-fried, and then simmered with roasted chile paste, fried shallots, white pepper, cayenne, and chopped flat-leaf coriander.

Soup of minced pork and celery: Dead simple - chicken stock, soy sauce, sugar, scallions, shiitake mushrooms, ground pork, cilantro, and white pepper. We added sliced glalangal, just because we had some.

Jasmine rice and salted cucumbers.

396204824.jpg

As always a meal I would pay for and be happy with - I think it is interesting to consider the accompanying simple soups in some Asian meals. It adds a balance one would not expect and is so simple.

Pizza - homemade whole wheat crust topped with chicken apple sausage and red peppers. The cheese was Trader Joe's Yogurt Cheese which is lactose free. First time I have tried it on pizza and it was very good - much better than "veggie" cheeses and very similar in flavor to mozarella.

pizza.jpg

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

I picked up the bag of maple flakes while cruising the baking aisle at one of the frocery chains...sounded interesting.

Haven't done much with it other than on cereal. It's made from "pure maple sugar" and that definitely came thru'. Suggested servings: on cereal, stir-fries, maple whipped cream.

I wanted different tastes on the roasted vegetables: cumin and chili peppers sounded good on the parsnips, but for fennel..., so I sprinkled some on before and after cooking. I liked it with the "licorice". The latter sprinkle added a bit of crunch.

Would be good as maple whipped cream for waffles...

mflakes5315.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Menuinprogress, How did you cook your potatoes? Just sauted with onions and peppers? I'd like to try your Basque method with halibut.

The potato cooking technique was improvised based on something I saw in a video of making Pil-Pil. I put some butter in a pan over medium heat, put in sliced potatoes and onions, added some white wine, covered the pan and turned it down to low until the pan was dry and the onions had caramelized a bit. The came out very nicely.

Food Blog: Menu In Progress

The potato cooking technique was improvised based on something I saw in a video of making Pil-Pil. I put some butter in a pan over medium heat, put in sliced potatoes and onions, added some white wine, covered the pan and turned it down to low until the pan was dry and the onions had caramelized a bit. The came out very nicely.

OOOH they certainly did come out very nice. Can never have too many ways to cook potatoes.

Great looking pizzas. Lovely crusts.

And again, I would be happy to eat anything that Bruce serves.

1248831007_dt94h-L.jpg

Dinner last night was Asian Lettuce Cups. Made with ground pork.

1249835692_EyZCC-L.jpg

And lunch today was warm Rhubarb Galette. First rhubarb of the season.