• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2011

ChrisTaylor

robirdstx, those shrimp look delicious!

C. sapidus: Thank you. They were very tasty!

Tonight we had Smothered Pork Steak with Green Beans and Crash Hot Potatoes.

SmotheredPorkSteak.jpg

What kind of potatoes? They look great, but how do you make 'em?

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Tonight we had Smothered Pork Steak with Green Beans and Crash Hot Potatoes.

SmotheredPorkSteak.jpg

What kind of potatoes? They look great, but how do you make 'em?

Hi judiu, thanks. I used the recipe here. I've used red potatoes before but this time I used some small yukon golds, with fennel seeds and fresh thyme.

robirdstx, Your Cajun Spiced Grilled Shrimp and Steamed Multi-Grain Rice sure will hit the spot in this kind of wintry weather, and Smothered Pork Steak with Green Beans and Crash Hot Potatoes, mouth watering indeed!

C. sapidus , really great looking Baked fish fillets with salsa de jitomate cocida.

I am testing some recipes for a Super Bowl party.

Pasta with black garlic sauce.

Wings, two flavors.

dcarch

wings.jpg

wings2.jpg

pastablack.jpg

pastablack2.jpg

dcarch - Love the enoki mushroom layout!

For me tonight I did Lime steamed pork medallions with an asparagus and basil compote, gelatinized olive oil and sauted pepper on a thyme and potato wafer. It was more of an experiment with the olive oil, and turned into a really nice course for a tasting menu Im developing for school.

Alex

Dcarch, that black and yellow pasta is so dramatic on the plate. Is the black color due to any particular ingredient? What are the flavors of the chicken wings?

Hansjoakim, great minds think alike. :wink:

Tonight's dinner, Duck Confit with a Ragout of Green Lentils

DuckConfit005.jpg

I was rooting through the freezer this weekend and stumbled across two half-forgotten duck legs. I decided to make confit. No duck fat in the house, and I didn't feel like hauling off to a specialty market for it. I did have an extra bottle of olive oil, a bottle that was supposed to be of drizzling quality but wasn't. I wanted to get rid of it. Excuse me, I decided to utilize it creatively in a new culinary exploration. :biggrin: The olive oil went into the pan instead of duck fat. Except for that, I followed the recipe in Paula Wolfert's Mediterranean Clay Pot Cooking. The ragout is finished off with some Dijon mustard and cream, and does that taste good.

The recipe is available online, here:

http://www.sanfranmag.com/story/wolfert-recipes

I've been buying whole chickens and cutting them up recently- it's cheap, and also will force me to use up all the bits, improving my skills, and hopefully add variety to our meals.

So tonight, I Break Down or Just Cut It Up an organic chicken and used the neck, back and various carcass bits to make stock.

I then used some stock to make a mushroom risotto - I've never made 'proper' risotto before and it was incredible, so tasty. One of those things where humble ingredients are taken to astounding heights. And really, it's not hard to make, you just have to look after it, and not rush it.

I served that with the chicken's legs, thighs and wings, fried very slowly in butter, and some steamed carrots and broccoli.

There's no photos, simply because it looked and smelled soo good that we couldn't wait to start!

There was some stock left, so I'm going to make a little pot of chicken+veg soup for tomorrow, and I've got the chicken breasts in the freezer to use up later in the week.

robirdstx, Your Cajun Spiced Grilled Shrimp and Steamed Multi-Grain Rice sure will hit the spot in this kind of wintry weather, and Smothered Pork Steak with Green Beans and Crash Hot Potatoes, mouth watering indeed!

dcarch - Thank You! I'll trade some of my shrimp for some of your chicken wings. They look delicious! How did you make your yellow and black pasta?

Yesterday was interesting to say the least. We woke up to no electric power, which did come back on, but then went down again several times and then was off for over two hours. The power issue was related to the very unusually cold weather here in Texas. When the power did come back on, I quickly used my kitchen-aid mixer to make pizza dough and managed to get it proofing in my microwave before the power went off again. Fortunately, the city got the problem solved in the early afternoon and we have had power (and heat) since. So, I was able to cook last night and we had Pizza and a nice warm kitchen.

ThinCrust.jpg

Here are a couple of dinners I remembered to take pictures of from the last month.

Chicken Fajitas - I made lime-coconut rice to go on the side and ended up putting them in the fajitas. I'd already finished two before remembering to take a picture.

164080_679054357664_20305918_38099297_3847135_n.jpg

Pork Tenderloin and cream cheese mashed potatoes with cream gravy - lots of pepper in the gravy, and for the first time, I tried a little ground ginger in it. It added a hint of brightness.

167800_684438343114_20305918_38214337_5401853_n.jpg

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Sweet potato ravioli, boiled, then fried in sage brown butter, topped with grated Manchego that had been tossed with a teaspoon of pimenton dulce:

005.JPG

And up close:

010.JPG

Tonight, quesadillas with coffee-ancho braised beef:

006.JPG

In fact, a whole plate-full of them, which will make lunches next week:

003.JPG

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

djyee – I printed out the recipe for the lentils and the confit and your notes. I really, really want to do that soon!

Dinner tonight:

med_gallery_3331_114_209219.jpg

Romaine lettuce w/ pears, mixed nuts, dried fruit and shredded provolone and mozzerella. This was a really good salad – very different from my usual lettuce/cuke/radish/carrot combination!

med_gallery_3331_114_275420.jpg

Veal Milanese, egg noodles and green beans. The veal was a crazy good buy – around $4 for enough to easily feed 6. It was tender and delicate, but the recipe didn’t work as well as I’d hoped. The breading wasn’t very crispy and it was overdone on the last few pieces. The recipe called for using all butter, but I think that some oil would have been a good idea.

Everything looks wonderful as always, and I want your pulled pork, Bruce.

Kim, the last time I attempted to fry without any oil, I set off the smoke alarm! A little oil seems to do the trick.. All butter just smoked too much for me. It was potato pancakes and they didn't brown enough,just like you said!

A rare night off, my son's with my sister for a sleepover, I'm having microwave popcorn and an episode of American Dad on the computer. ( Got to sin when I get the chance, you know :rolleyes: )

Thinking candy for dessert.

---------------------------------------

Spareribs in sticky peach and bourbon chutney.

Wonderful looking.

Did you make the chutney? If so, please share the recipe?

I hope weather calmed down in your area.

dcarch

Same goes for me!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Spareribs in sticky peach and bourbon chutney.

Wonderful looking.

Did you make the chutney? If so, please share the recipe?

I hope weather calmed down in your area.

dcarch

Thanks for your kind thoughts..we've been through droughts, to floods, to cyclones over the last few weeks, and now we're back to bushfires! Chaotic. Last week it got to 42C (108F) in Sydney, today it's 20C (68F). Can't keep up.

The recipe I used was here, and I added 4TBSP of bourbon to the mix. The recipe does, shock horror, call for using the microwave but I reduced it on the stove instead for around 20 minutes, since I didn't think microwaving alcohol would work out well for me..

Super Bowl Commercial watching dinner. Meatloaf and spinach salad with scallions, almonds, bacon and butternut squash and cranberries cooked together with balsamic and tarragon.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs061.snc6/167111_685510813874_20305918_38242303_3356941_n.jpg

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini