• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2011

ChrisTaylor

Spaghetti a la ligurienne. Basically, spaghetti (or spaghettini in my case) with a freshly made pesto sauce.

spaghettipesto.jpg

What kind of pesto did you make? Looks heavy on the garlic! Yum!

The ratios from Larousse Gastronomique:

• 2 cloves of garlic
  • 25 grams pine nuts
  • 40 grams pecorino romano
  • 2 'sprigs' of basil (I added more than 2 'sprigs')

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Launchpad McQuack's final crash landing: My frying pan.

Made some seared duck breasts with arugula and mushrooms. I had to make it twice because I overcooked it the first time (fortunately I got a couple of extras). On that first batch, I sliced them, they were fine, and then when I put them on the plate they were cooked through. Finicky birds, they are. Fortunately I got the second round right. I'm new at the duck thing.

The success:

Roasted Duck.JPG

The not-so-success. Yeah, that's why I made it smaller. People don't love the dinner thread because of the failures ... at least, I don't think so. I haven't done a straw poll on it - just pure assumption.

duck.JPG

Calzone. Ricotta, Parmigiano, parsley, Italian sausage. Mark Bittman's pizza dough recipe from How To Cook Everything. Crappy cell phone photo.

IMAGE_081.jpg

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Spaghetti all'amatriciana. I used the first of my home-grown habanero chillies.

Amatriciana with habañeros?

Sure. Just a small one. I wasn't trying to make turn it into some kind of chilli con pancetta deal. But that's all I had in the way of chillies unless I wanted to use a generic 'long green chilli' with no particular flavour or heat from the supermarket.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Braised Napa Cabbage w/ Fennel Broth

This was an attempt to make kind of a soup with the cabbage and some fennel. The broth is made with shallot, fennel, leek, garlic, white wine, and chicken stock. In the center is some black beans, a little crispy shallot, lemon zest, and then some blanched chayote squash around.

IMG_0896.JPG

Tony

http://www.TwistedGrubHub.com >>> a social network all about food!

David – your tarte is gorgeous. I love the look of the on-the-vine tomatoes – do you just pluck it off before eating? Also love the rustic croutons. They look perfect.

Mr. Kim has had the week off and yesterday made a pot of his good chili. Dinner last night started off with nibbles leftover from New Year’s Eve:

med_gallery_3331_114_176288.jpg

Cheddar shrimp nachos and Marlene’s pizza puffs.

Mr. Kim’s chili:

med_gallery_3331_114_275990.jpg

with cheese, sour cream and fresh jalapenos.

Jessica’s:

med_gallery_3331_114_217903.jpg

with cheese, sour cream, hot sauce and a sprinkling of cinnamon.

Mine:

med_gallery_3331_114_87907.jpg

with just penne – we were out of elbow macaroni. What can I say, I’m a chili mac girl from way back! :blush:

David – your tarte is gorgeous. I love the look of the on-the-vine tomatoes – do you just pluck it off before eating? Also love the rustic croutons. They look perfect.

Unless it's a remarkable coincidence, I think the vine tomato tarte and the torn croutons were mine - and I'm Kate, pleased to meet you! :biggrin: I read somewhere once that tomatoes retain alot more flavour when you cook them with their stalk (Heston Blumenthal, I think) so always try to, and they pop off v. easily once cooked.

Dinner last night was a gigantic concoction of roast carrots, parsnip, butternut squash, shallots, cinnamon and other spices, apricots, cashews, mint, rose petals (to gild the lily) and preserved lemons. Over buttered couscous!

couscous.jpg

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)

Kate – how mortifying. I have no idea how in the world I mistook you for David Ross :blink: . Nice to meetcha <slinking off>.

Dinner was salad <sigh>:

P1060569.JPG

and pork loin chops w/ Tulocay & Co. Three Chiles Citrus Yucatan Marinade & Dipping sauce. Great sauce – lousy pork. Dry, tasteless and tough. The pork was from Omaha Steaks – a Christmas gift. I served it with red cabbage and fried apples:

P1060570.JPG

Dinner last night was a gigantic concoction of roast carrots, parsnip, butternut squash, shallots, cinnamon and other spices, apricots, cashews, mint, rose petals (to gild the lily) and preserved lemons. Over buttered couscous!

That sounds delicious! At our house, the family will be subjected to one of my periodic multi-day Indian cooking binges . . .

Spicy Goan shrimp curry – with a spice paste of garlic, ginger, curry leaves, cumin, chile, mustard seeds, turmeric, garam masala, and vinegar. Cinnamon, bay leaves, fried onions, tomatoes, and cilantro rounded out the flavors. Definitely worth making again!

Cucumber and radish raita, seasoned with chaat masala, chile, black pepper, and paprika. This may make another appearance tomorrow.

Basmati rice with cumin and black pepper, spices fried in ghee. This should also reappear tomorrow in a different guise.

GoanShrimp11-01a.jpg

Played with my pasta maker tonight...I kept wanting to grab my camera to take pics after 7 days of blog.

Dinner tonight:

Linguine with bacon, cheese stuffed venison meatballs, homemade sauce and a salad.

P1091721.JPG