• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Domestic sheep's milk ricotta online: anyone tried it?

Maureen B. Fant

I'm trying to find North American sources for ingredients in recipes I'm writing. Found lots of anchovies and capers and other Italian imports, which is great, but now I'm down to the fresh stuff. There are sheep farms making ricotta, but my one experience, a few years ago in the Hudson Valley (NY state), was a bust. It was hard and dry. What we have in Rome is creamy and dreamy and you have to drain it overnight before cooking with it.

www.dairysheepfarm.com sells sheep's milk ricotta, but I'd love an objective description if anyone has tried it.

Any other ideas on this? Even cow's milk ricotta would do if it was nice and creamy.

Many thanks!

Maureen B. Fant
www.maureenbfant.com

www.elifanttours.com

Maureen, the closest thing I've found to "real" Italian ricotta comes from Dancing Ewe Farms in NY. http://www.dancingewe.com/

I first tasted it at Domenica, the John Besh/Alon Shaya restaurant in New Orleans, and it was so good, I begged the kitchen to sell me a pint to take home. Very very creamy, with the almost fluffy, light texture of the real thing. My idea of the perfect breakfast is a good wild yeast bread, toasted & spread with ricotta and honey.

Cheers, Celeste U

In Minnesota during the summer, Sheperd's Way Farms, offer a wonderful sheep's milk ricotta that they sell at the farmer's market. On the days they have it, it sells out quickly.

Additionally, my cheese shop just started offering a sheep's milk ricotta from Bellwether farms, but I've not had a chance to try it yet.