• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2010

Jmahl

Blether – Thanks. I usually wait until the food is plated before grabbing the camera but they were looking so pretty. Its amazing to me how well my little digital camera works. My method is to dust the chops with flour, dip in an egg wash, then press in the panko to coat. I fry them in peanut oil then drain on a wire rack over paper towels.

Okay, here we go. First post in the dinner thread.

Chicken Souvlaki from Vefa's Kitchen. Also with tzatziki.

Souvlaki - Vefa\

It was my first recipe from that book - my first greek recipe ever, really. Based on this, I'm pretty excited to see what else is in there ... Yeah, my photography skill set is still developing.

Apple Cider Chicken with reduced apple cider and a little cognac, sauteed garlic and shallots, and some sliced Pink Lady Apples. Served with rice.

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Today it was 17 degrees here on the Border. We had a pipe break. This is not a usual January here. For dinner a warming lamb stew with preserved lemons and creamed cabbage. Mona 001.JPG

Nothing like a stew on a cold day on the border.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

percyn – oh, yum! That osso buco looks amazing – so rich and warming and perfect for a January evening!

Last night’s dinner was just easy sit-out stuff:

med_gallery_3331_114_189084.jpg

Assorted cheeses, beef stick, fruit

med_gallery_3331_114_211765.jpg

Baked Brie with apricot preserves and toasted almonds. Augmented with bread and soup from Panera. We were helping our daughter pack for her move to her first home – she’s renting a house with a friend and (finally) moving out after finishing college 2 ½ years ago – woo-hoo!!

Lasagna, layered with cheese mixture & sweet & mild Italian sausages and my delicious ragu.

Lasagna.jpg

And buttered Challah bread which I made today.

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

I was finaly able to finish the Pastramification process yesterday and ended up with this

Jan 10 0341.jpg

which we turned into a grilled Pastrami and Swiss

Jan 10 036.jpg

and a Rueben

Jan 10 038.jpg

I am a happy camper

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I was finaly able to finish the Pastramification process yesterday and ended up with this

Jan 10 0341.jpg

which we turned into a grilled Pastrami and Swiss

Jan 10 036.jpg

and a Rueben

Jan 10 038.jpg

I am a happy camper

It looks wonderful.

BTW, I tried looking up "Pastramification" in the dictionary to no avail.

Perhaps its in "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" ? :wink:

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

Steve, Pastramification is duly noted in the "great smoked meat experiment" thread

Now, Pastramus Interuptus is my very own...it is when you have to freeze the product mid-process and then begin again :laugh:

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Spaghetti with Meat Sauce and Parmesan

It all started when my hubby made this for me:

PastaRack-01.jpg

So I had to do this, using one of the cutters said hubby gave to me for Christmas:

MakingPasta-01.jpg

Here are the noodles waiting for the pasta water to come to a boil:

MakingPasta-02.jpg

And just a few minutes later, we ate this!

MakingPasta-03.jpg

Edited by robirdstx (log)

Rooftop, I also had a little fun with brisket this weekend, after I smoked mine I turned it into chili (with some chorizo) ... Now I wish I had pastramified some of it, too. That reuben looks delicious.

Anyway, sixteen-degree (farenheit) weather is against my religion. I know when it's that cold outside, it makes me want to kick cute puppies and steal sweet candy treats from small adorable children.

But chili makes me feel better. Especially with plenty of jalapeno cornbread and a few of those tasy beverages in the background ...

Chili small.jpg

And no, I'm so not above drinking Bud Light with chili.

rooftop1000 – gorgeous pastrami! I really want one of those sandwiches.

Dinner tonight was in front of the still-up Christmas tree. We spent all this past weekend getting Jessica into her new house instead of de-decorating the house, so I decided to enjoy it while it was still there:

med_gallery_3331_114_164265.jpg

We had roast beef, mashed potatoes, broccoli with hollandaise, salad and yeast rolls. The beef was just a bottom round that I got on sale at the grocery store - $10 for 3.5 lbs. and I found a recipe for basically roasting it. I would never have tried that with this cut – in the past I would have only used it for braising, but the recipe was from epicurious.com, so I went ahead and tried it and it was wonderful. Before roasting:

med_gallery_3331_114_133793.jpg

After:

med_gallery_3331_114_156803.jpg

Sliced:

med_gallery_3331_114_139893.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_86204.jpg

The mise for my potatoes:

med_gallery_3331_114_207595.jpg

The cheese is some Saga Brie bleu that I had in the fridge.

All nice and riced:

med_gallery_3331_114_166973.jpg

Done:

med_gallery_3331_114_36323.jpg

Salad:

med_gallery_3331_114_202272.jpg

Just romaine, radishes, rice noodles, almonds and Craisins w/ bleu cheese dressing.

Plated w/out gravy:

med_gallery_3331_114_45895.jpg

w/ gravy:

med_gallery_3331_114_15957.jpg

The hollandaise was Julia Child’s blender method and tasted fabulous, but was not a sauce – the consistency was more like mayonnaise.

These were just some thaw, rise and bake frozen dough that I fixed up:

med_gallery_3331_114_220140.jpg