• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2010

Jmahl

Last night was a potluck I was tasked with making salsa. I made the normal pico de gallo, but wanted a second, more eclectic choice. I was going to do a mango and black bean salsa, but my sweetie doesn't like mangos, and it seems like everyone does a mango salsa these days.

Then inspiration struck and I thought about a piña colada salsa.

I started with a large can of crushed pineapple and drained it very well (actually I pressed a lot of the juice out). Then I mixed it with a small, chopped jalapeño, about half a cup of seweetened, shredded coconut, about 2 tbs of creme de coconut (the thick syrupy stuff you use to make piña coladas) and just a kiss of cumin.

I have never had so many people ask me for recipe!

Edited by mgaretz (log)

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Blether – love the look of your seafood and cauliflower – I love when creamy things get those little scorchy sections!

Blether, that does look absolutely fantastic. And Kim, I also love it when I hear neologisms such as 'scorchy'.

Dinner last night was some tacos with grilled chicken, pico, lime juice and cilantro. I abide by the 'keep it simple, stupid' philosophy with tacos.

Chicken-tacos.jpg

Both the beef and the pork sound good (as does dinner out !).

have to pull some bison and do them.

Mmm. Yeah. Let's talk about that.

the daube was really, really good. i made it on friday then served it saturday. the pork is another keeper.

what about the bison? my spousal unit prefers it as it is low in fat but has a nice flavor. i sub it out for everything from pop's smooch to burgers to meatballs and meatloaf.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Dinner for 15 on Sunday. Around midnight I slathered two boneless pork butts with mustard sauce and a dry rub, discovering in the process that all of our trussing string disappeared with the renovation. Fortunately, bamboo skewers did a serviceable job of avoiding the dreaded “butt crack”.

We served pulled pork sandwiches with slaw and home-made BBQ sauce. I also made smoked sweet potatoes, and smoked mushroom salad with Thai basil and balsamic vinegar. The pork and mushroom salad turned out particularly well.

Mrs. C contributed her ever-popular maple-soy-ginger glazed salmon; Waldorf salad; green salad; homemade babaghanoush; and a variety of crackers, breads, and dips. Guests brought chicken biryani; blini with jam; and zebra cake for dessert.

Leftovers should feed us well into the week. I’ll see if I can get a decent pork pic for “Behold my butt!”

Dcarch, I was serious about the book. Every dish you post is so fantastic in every way - technique, application, concept, presentation and portrayal.

I'll second that.

Anyway, I made parmesan-crusted cod. I was inspired by Ann_T's blog, which had parmesan-crusted halibut, but that was prohibitively expensive at the Central Market. So I made it with cod. I can only imagine how awesome this is with halibut, because it was still really good this way.

Breaded Cod Filets.JPG

Thanks, Blether. With winter coming around the bend, we're trying to eat outside as much as possible - futurewife because she enjoys the weather, me because I enjoy the lighting ...

And, um, where is everybody? I thought this thread used to be popular? I feel like the unpopular kid that walks up to the cool kids and they all kind of disperse. Is that what's happening??

Anyway, Rosemary-Garlic Shrimp Skewers last night. I don't really know, technically, what a kebab is, or if I can call these that. So I played it safe and went with skewers. Everybody wins. Except the shrimp.

Shrimp Kebabs.JPG

... Nothing special, just a pizza...

Dcarch, I was serious about the book. Every dish you post is so fantastic in every way - technique, application, concept, presentation and portrayal.

Thank you so much. You are very kind.

Haiyahhhhhhhh! Dueling Pizzas!

Oh yeah? my pizza is bigger than yours! HeeHeeee

I'll second that.

Thank you. Coming from you, makes me feel real good.

dcarch

Rico, inviting taco, great cod and succulent shrimps. All are tasty in flavor, and tasteful in plating.

Kim, the roast pork looks amazing! And the potato looks beyond amazing!

Just a simple salad with fresh mozarella cheese and tomatoes, letuce from the garden. Black garlic salad dressing.

dcarch

Mcheesea.jpg

Mcheesea2.jpg

And, um, where is everybody? I thought this thread used to be popular? I feel like the unpopular kid that walks up to the cool kids and they all kind of disperse. Is that what's happening??

Lighting's great when you're with the right person. As for any apparent absence of people, I guess you're the only smart one among us - made sure he had money in the bank and a secure income before the flood came. Maybe the rest of us are busy, unexpectedly swimmming !

Anyway, Rosemary-Garlic Shrimp Skewers last night. I don't really know, technically, what a kebab is, or if I can call these that. So I played it safe and went with skewers. Everybody wins. Except the shrimp.

Looks good again. And you have to think the shrimp are happy. Everyone loves a good skewering.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Chicago-style Pizza

I just realized I was pretty much completely out of food and I don't feel like driving to the grocery store, since it's such a pain in downtown Chicago. So, I looked around and saw that I have three slices of mozzarella cheese left, half a red onion, some garlic, a small can of crushed tomatoes, a trace of Parmesan cheese, and some ingredients to make a little bit of dough. I made the dough before I went to class earlier and let it rise four a couple hours. Then I came back and threw this ugly thing together. I'm putting this in the dinner thread because I'll probably just eat half now and the other half later.

First, the cheese is layered on the dough. Then, I put the garlic on top of it. Lastly, the crushed tomatoes and Parmesan. The onions are sitting in a pool of olive oil and red wine:

2vuek1u.jpg

I tried to get the Willis(Sears) Tower in a shot.

14b3n2c.jpg

It's hideous, but I'm eating it right now, and it's fantastic. I add a glorious onion chip to every bite I take.

103ertk.jpg

Edited by Le Master (log)

dinner tonight will be sauteed chicken breast with artichoke hearts and a sauce with olive oil, crushed olives, capers and finished with some lemon and olive oil. leftover sweet potatoes and some green beans.

also pulling together foods for the husband to take down the shore tomorrow night for the owners meeting this weekend. homemade 1000 island dressing, poached chicken breast, slider rolls for lunches; eggy potatoes, applesauce, maple syrup, french toast for breakfasts; containers of homemade chicken soup, noodles with pot roast and beef stew with some peasant bread for dinners.

i am craving lasagna but it is supposed to be good both days this weekend so between the paying work and the hawkgawk will just subsist on stuff from the freezer which DOESN'T include lasagna. hoping for a rain day on my day off next week so i can do a good cook...have meatballs to poach in marinara and some lactaid cottage cheese to drain and doctor to stand in for the ricotta. i can taste it now

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Chicago-style Pizza

I just realized I was pretty much completely out of food and I don't feel like driving to the grocery store, since it's such a pain in downtown Chicago. So, I looked around and saw that I have three slices of mozzarella cheese left, half a red onion, some garlic, a small can of crushed tomatoes, a trace of Parmesan cheese, and some ingredients to make a little bit of dough. I made the dough before I went to class earlier and let it rise four a couple hours. Then I came back and threw this ugly thing together. I'm putting this in the dinner thread because I'll probably just eat half now and the other half later.

First, the cheese is layered on the dough. Then, I put the garlic on top of it. Lastly, the crushed tomatoes and Parmesan. The onions are sitting in a pool of olive oil and red wine:

2vuek1u.jpg

I tried to get the Willis(Sears) Tower in a shot.

14b3n2c.jpg

It's hideous, but I'm eating it right now, and it's fantastic. I add a glorious onion chip to every bite I take.

103ertk.jpg

Glorious onion chip? Do tell, please! Sure hope you're not talking Funyums!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

No photo, but last night I made Ina's Eggplant Gratin for the first time this season... So good! Roasted (she pan-fries, but its too much work if you're doubling or tripling the recipe) eggplant slices, layered with some marinara, and then covered with a ricotta, milk, egg, and parmesan mixture. Baked, the cheese mixture makes sort of a puffy-souffle-frittata thing (is it obvious I can't really quite describe it?) But the whole is delicious. I usually triple her recipe, and make it in a baking pan... The recipe is quite forgiving with proportions... Here's a link...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/eggplant-gratin-recipe/index.html

It's hideous, but I'm eating it right now, and it's fantastic.

Call it what you will - but I'd call it something I'd dig into in a heartbeat!

Looks good again. And you have to think the shrimp are happy. Everyone loves a good skewering.

Thanks, Blether. And that's what I'd call optimistic food empathy ...

I've been wanting to try crawfish pie for awhile, but am a little nervous to make a pie crust (which I have never done). But I had some fillo in the freezer, so I improvised and made 'crawfish pie' with them. Basically I just stuffed it with some etouffee. The final result was satisfactory.

Crawfish-Pies.jpg

Haha. They're not really chips per se. I carefully peel all of the layers off the onion and I cut them into little rectangles. Then they're put into a shallow bath of extra virgin olive oil mixed with red wine and a few pinches of salt. That is then heated in the oven at 350° for about 25 minutes, until they've darkened a bit and look crispy. They're quite tasty.

Last night, Halibut,Kale with Applewood Smoked Bacon and "Brandade" Mashed Potatoes-

007.JPG

This is fresh Alaskan Halibut, seasoned with just salt and a bit of Cajun spices then dusted with Wondra four. The halibut was sauteed for a couple of minutes with a dash of olive oil in a hot cast iron skillet then roasted in the oven for another ten minutes-

011.JPG

This is a wonderful side dish for fish over regular mashed potatoes because it adds another level of seafood flavor. Since halibut is not an overly bold flavored fish, I didn't want to serve it with pure brandade because that would have been too salty and fishy tasting. The mashed potato addition tempers the strong flavor of the brandade. (Brandade spread on toast is also very good as a garnish for fish stew)-

008.JPG

poulet a la normandie in the oven for tomorrow's dinner. himself is due back about 7 pm. i'll probably be at the hawkwatch until 5pm. thinking about serving it with some thinner egg noodles and some zucchini and yellow squash that i am craving. think that i will do a quick saute and finish with some chicken stock i have in the fridge.

john is off on business this week and i am taking him out for his birthday(6 nov) on 31 oct since he hates halloween and i have to work until 5 pm anyway. i am going to try a cincinnati chili version using some chopped sirloin and ground buffalo that i may be able to do if i have a day/half day off. will serve with some spaghetti, minced shallot(instead of onion) and some shredded cheese. john won't eat the beans though he might eat the oyster crackers if i had them.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Mmmm, I’d dive into everyone’s food as usual.

With frost in the forecast, I harvested what may be this summer’s last Thai basil and chiles from the garden. We stir-fried yard-long beans, added a paste of garlic, shallots, green peppercorns, and various chiles, and then mixed in ground pork, ground chicken, fish sauce, and sugar. When the meat was cooked we added handfuls of Thai basil, stir-fried until the basil just wilted, and served the dish over jasmine rice.

I absolutely adore the aroma of Thai basil hitting a hot pan with garlic and shallots.

In keeping with our two-vegetable policy, Mrs. C prepared a delicious cabbage salad and a tasty, clean-out-the-fridge vegetable soup. I guess the long beans were a bonus vegetable. Parental score!

Stir-fried chicken and pork with Thai basil

Haha. They're not really chips per se. I carefully peel all of the layers off the onion and I cut them into little rectangles. Then they're put into a shallow bath of extra virgin olive oil mixed with red wine and a few pinches of salt. That is then heated in the oven at 350° for about 25 minutes, until they've darkened a bit and look crispy. They're quite tasty.

Oh, now THAT sounds good! I must try that one.

Bruce, how do you do your smoked sweet potatos?

Kim, if you, like me, grew up convinced pork must be cooked to death or you would get trichinosis and die, isn't it wonderful to learn how to cook it RIGHT?

My camera is AWOL, and I have been on the road and cooking very little. I did make a pretty good pot roast last night, and my son has asked for lasagna today, so that's on the agenda. I'm also contemplating butternut squash ravioli, so I was glad to see that thread as well.

Edited by kayb (log)

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com