• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2010

Jmahl

Meatball Sandwich This was so quick and easy. I already had the meatballs in the sauce in the freezer, so just had to thaw and warm those. I also already had the homemade buns in the freezer, already sliced, so just thawed and toasted on the griddle. I laid the cheese on one-half of the toasted bun, covered it with the meatballs, extra sauce, and the other half of the bun. Dinner's ready!

MeatballSandwich-06.jpg

Tonight it was too hot to eat outside even in the shade in South Texas. We had shrimp with saffron rice pilaff with a bottle of well chilled French wine.

Shrimp with Saffron Rice Pilaff 003.JPG

Check out Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen on Facebook. Real progress is being made in construction.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

We were back at the grill again tonight for Grilled Sausage Wraps. We crisped up the skin on these smoked sausages and had them on warm, home-made flour tortillas with chopped onion and yellow mustard, accompanied by my Mashed Potato Salad (not pictured).

GrilledSausage-01.jpg

robirdstx – You’re on. Where shall we meet for the exchange? And your pork steaks look fabulous. I wish we could find those here – we used to get them all the time in Indiana.

Dinner last night:

gallery_3331_114_16806.jpg

Mr. Kim made a big salad with some of our CSA bounty

gallery_3331_114_130064.jpg

Scrambled eggs w/ chives and cheese and garlic toast with some fabulous bread from our CSA box.

Kim, when I was doing more cooking, I used to get those pork steaks all the time at our Publix market. They sell them as pork shoulder blade steaks, and I love them far better than the loin chops. They are a darker meat, and better marbled, so they don't dry out nearly as bad. If you're buying a picnic shoulder to smoke or grill, as the butcher to cut some shoulder steaks for you. I like to marinate with the Cuban sauce Mojo for a little while before cooking on the grill, or in my grill pan.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Kim, when I was doing more cooking, I used to get those pork steaks all the time at our Publix market. They sell them as pork shoulder blade steaks, and I love them far better than the loin chops. They are a darker meat, and better marbled, so they don't dry out nearly as bad. If you're buying a picnic shoulder to smoke or grill, as the butcher to cut some shoulder steaks for you. I like to marinate with the Cuban sauce Mojo for a little while before cooking on the grill, or in my grill pan.

Thank you, ma'am! I'll ask next time we get a shoulder!

Kim - I'll meet you in Jackson Square, New Orleans, Spring 2011 (exact date and time to be determined).

And speaking of pork shoulder, I started a picnic shoulder by giving it a good rub

PorkShoulder-01.jpg

and a nice browning, before putting it in the slow cooker.

PorkShoulder-02.jpg

The house is smelling very, very good.

Great-looking meals, everyone. JMahl, I like that shrimp & saffron rice combo. Your place setting looks so attractive, too. Percyn, I could eat a slice of that super-savory pizza.

An easy dinner here, Spicy Beef Stirfry of steak slices, bok choy, fresh shittake mushrooms, beansprouts & fresno chiles, in a sauce of garlic, shallots, fish sauce & oyster sauce. I spent the late afternoon making brandied fruit, tasting it frequently, & I felt too mellow to do much else by dinnertime. :laugh:

SpicyBeefStirfry2_2115.jpg

Tonight we had Pork Enchiladas using some of the pulled pork from the shoulder we cooked yesterday. We used Hatch Red Enchilada Sauce to moisten the meat and to coat the tortillas. We had them folded and topped with more sauce, some grated pepper jack and cheddar cheese and chopped onion. I made the white corn tortillas using Maseca instant masa and they were wonderful! I didn't take any photos this time but there will definitely be a next time for these. And I'm getting pretty good with the tortilla press, too. :biggrin:

Dcarch, that's great! The second pic looks like an Asian landscape with the fog rolling in, only better, because you can eat it. Well, maybe not the fog. What is that? Cotton candy, or just plain...cotton?

when johnnybird was in pathmark two days ago he spied some "wild alaskan salmon" so bought two pieces. last night was the first day we would be together for dinner since sunday so i cooked it for him - notice i didn't say us - because as many times as i have tried it i just can't eat it.

so sauteed it in some olive oil and finished it in the oven with some fresh dill and served it with a sauce made from faux sour cream, dill, some lemon, minced cucumber and a tiny squeeze of anchovy paste.

local fresh broccoli and tiny potatoes that were boiled in salted water then finished with olive oil and some shaved dill as well as some chives.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Thin pork tenderloin chops, fried crispy on the outside over high heat in a cast iron skillet, and topped with a chili-plum cream sauce and fresh sliced plums. My new favorite sauce.

002.JPG

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Buffalo Meatloaf with mashed potatoes and pickled red cabbage. We had buffalo often in restaurants but the first time that we cooked it at home. Really liked the stronger beef flavor.

Buffalo meatloaf_1.jpg

Honkman - how did you compensate for the leanness of the buffalo or did you even need to? Really like the meatloaf, potato, pickled cabbage combo. Was it a true pickle or a quick pickle on the cabbage?