• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2010

Jmahl

Dinner last night.

I cooked some pork belly sous vide and built the dish around it.

Pork in three guises served as surf and turf. 72-hour sous-vide cooked pork belly with cider glaze, Serrano ham, and blood sausage. Served with scallops and Avruga, pork jus, cauliflower puree, and wilted baby spinach.

pork belly.jpg

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Curd rice with golden beets and Persian cucumber, served with green mango pickle

Soba - What's curd rice? That looks amazing!

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Dinner last night.

I cooked some pork belly sous vide and built the dish around it.

Pork in three guises served as surf and turf. 72-hour sous-vide cooked pork belly with cider glaze, Serrano ham, and blood sausage. Served with scallops and Avruga, pork jus, cauliflower puree, and wilted baby spinach.

pork belly.jpg

That looks ... awesome ...

Curd rice with golden beets and Persian cucumber, served with green mango pickle

Soba - What's curd rice? That looks amazing!

It's spiced full-fat yogurt mixed with cooked rice. Low-fat and non-fat yogurt is just vile, in my opinion.

You can substitute buttermilk instead of the yogurt, however it will have a different flavor profile.

This version isn't very spicy -- recipe is on the blog.

It's a rare mid-week occurrence that I manage to get three courses out for dinner. But with a couple of good friends visiting and the wonderful sunshine today I felt inspired. I was always going to cook Monkfish wrapped in Prosciutto and Risotto (saffron, asparagus, peas & shoots) as a main dish for them. So with the excess prosciutto that I bought I draped it over fig, mozarella and rocket for an easy bruschetta starter. Dessert is my standby made yesterday; warm Bakewell tart and ice-cream:

gallery_52657_5922_110881.jpg

gallery_52657_5922_146392.jpg

gallery_52657_5922_120334.jpg

Prawncrakers, each of those three courses looks amazing. Equally. I personally never make three courses as equally excellent - primarily because I feel as if they might become jealous of each other, but also because I am not as capable at cooking.

Anyway, my meal last night involved caprese salad, but the important part is that the salad was comprised of the first tomatoes from my garden. The yellows are Jubilees and the reds are Black Prince, as I believe they are called. For my first garden ever, this is going well ...

firstomatoes.JPG

The basil is also from the garden. The cheese is not. My mozzarella seeds didn't sprout. Must be the Texas heat.

Edited by Rico (log)
  • Like 1

Leftover curd rice.

Strawberry sorbet for dessert.

HOWEVER, I did make a batch of bhel puri.

4707714677_faf9fea087_b.jpg

Turned out well for a first time, I think.

Potatoes, tomatoes, onion, sev, puffed rice, lime juice, mint, cilantro. Golden raisins for sweetness. Served with a coconut chutney.

4707722443_6456fb87fe_b.jpg

Prawn – Beautiful, as always and the proscuitto wrapped monkfish sounds awesome!

MiFi – can you expand a little on the cod gratin? It sounds wonderful.

Low effort dinner the other night:

gallery_3331_114_159021.jpg

gallery_3331_114_112910.jpg

Some of Jessica’s sublime blueberry pancakes (leftover from a dinner that she had for friends), basted eggs and bacon. Simple, but very satisfying.

We had our Father’s Day celebration last night. Jessica kidnapped Mr. Kim this morning for a Daddy/Daughter weekend. He doesn’t know it, but they are going to WV to raft on the New River. It’s something that he’s always wanted to do and hasn’t ever had the chance to. We had a bon voyage breakfast at Cracker Barrel this morning. And now, I have two days of solitude. Just me and the cat :wub: .

We had Mr. Kim’s dad and stepmom over for dinner and started with this:

gallery_3331_114_87869.jpg

Caprese w/ bocconcini and grape tomatoes – and some really huge, flavorful basil from the CSA.

Dinner was:

gallery_3331_114_134735.jpg

Ribs

gallery_3331_114_20555.jpg

slaw w/ red wine vinegar, mayo and brown mustard. I often add some kind of mustard to slaw – we first tasted it at a little BBQ shack in NC and like it a lot.

gallery_3331_114_103319.jpg

My version of CI’s Boston baked beans.

gallery_3331_114_26414.jpg

gallery_3331_114_15345.jpg

cornbread gems

Dessert was a peach-cherry crisp w/ vanilla bean ice cream:

gallery_3331_114_168388.jpg

Wonderful food, everyone. Kim, that peach-cherry crisp looks just right. I'll have to make a fruit crisp soon.

Yesterday's dinner started with Penne with Sage Pesto and Roasted Tomatoes. The Sage Pesto comes from Judy Rodgers' Zuni Cafe Cookbook. I was curious to try this recipe. How can raw sage taste good? Pounding the sage with garlic, salt, and olive oil in a mortar helps tame it, and so does a generous amt of parmigiano-reggiano cheese and walnuts. Very tasty, and unusual, too.

SagePesto_1869.jpg

Followed by a "salad" of boiled leeks and asparagus, wrapped in ham, and drizzled with a mustard vinaigrette. I started with the recipe for Leeks Vinaigrette in Alice Waters' The Art of Simple Food, and kept going. Boiling the leeks makes them sweet and mild, and the spicy vinaigrette gives them zing.

LeeksVinaigrette2_1885.jpg

For dessert, Lattice-Topped Cherry Tart, also from the Zuni Cafe Cookbook. A few drops of balsamic vinegar in the cherries heighten their flavor. Balsamic is not something I would ever think to add to cherries, but it works.

CherryTart_1863.jpg

Ah, summer. :cool:

This thread is highly diminished without pictures, but the ones my phone makes are pretty much un-identifiable. Might have to get a camera to be able to make better posts. :)

Dinner was mirepoix soup (carrots, onions, and celery in homemade chicken stock with little soup pasta), and a pea shoot, olive oil, meat grease, salt, pepper, and sherry vinegar dressing. I keep a jar of random grease collected from pans meats were cooked in that I don't think will be too horrific, so that was probably a bit of bacon grease and grease from roasting veal bones from making veal stock.

The soup was a good chance to taste my chicken stock more directly than I usually do. I think in the future I may include some actual chicken meat in the mix to intensify the flavor more.

BEEF PROVENCIAL 006.JPG

For Father's Day - Beef Provencal with flutted mushrooms - first attempt.

BEEF PROVENCIAL 002.JPG

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

David Chang's kimchi apple salad. It is one of my favorites--where the whole is much better than the parts (not that there is anything wrong with the parts.) And to think I though I didn't really like sweetened yogurt unitl I made the maple labne called for in this recipe.IMG_0175.JPG

Kim, how do you cook your collards? Some collards will be in the CSA box I'm picking up tomorrow, and I'm wondering what to do with them. I received some fresh sausage today, too, so that will be dinner tomorrow. How do you make the onion and sauerkraut relish on your sausages? I'm ready to copy your plate, right down to the fries.

SobaAddict, I like that combo of greens & beet salad & croutons with the fried egg. I'll have to try that.

Kim, how do you cook your collards? Some collards will be in the CSA box I'm picking up tomorrow, and I'm wondering what to do with them. I received some fresh sausage today, too, so that will be dinner tomorrow. How do you make the onion and sauerkraut relish on your sausages? I'm ready to copy your plate, right down to the fries.

These collards were very young and tender, so they didn't cook as long as the ones that I get in the winter, but the method was the same. I fry up some sidemeat until it gives up most of it's fat. Add the washed and torn collards to the pan and cover with water. Add lots of pepper, a little hot sauce and (our family secret to great greens - a smidge of brown sugar). Bring to a boil and and cook until tender. I never need to add salt, but taste at the end to see if you need more pepper, hot sauce or brown sugar. Sometimes I'll fry some onions with the sidemeat and we always add vinegar at the table.

The onions and sauerkraut were just fried in the pan after I did the sausage - I do the onions until browned and sticky and add the sauerkraut at the last minute. We like really strong sauerkraut, so I use canned and don't rinse it. And the fries were frozen! :blush: