• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2010

Jmahl

percy – that lobster roll looks fabulous!

Dinner tonight was chopped salad w/ balsamic vinaigrette and shrimp quesadillas.

Salad:

gallery_3331_114_242930.jpg

quesadillas in the pan:

gallery_3331_114_124078.jpg

Plated w/ Rico's pineapple salsa and black beans:

gallery_3331_114_115027.jpg

Rico, that pineapple salsa was wonderful. And perfect with shrimp. We had some leftover and I think that we'll just be eating it with a spoon!

Dessert was Dorie Greenspan’s World Peace cookies:

gallery_3331_119_241485.jpg

Seriously, no one has cooked since Sunday??

Dinner tonight was Ina Garten’s Cape Cod Chopped Salad – arugula, apple, bacon, bleu cheese, toasted walnuts and dried cranberries with an orange juice vinaigrette:

gallery_3331_114_38816.jpg

before tossing

gallery_3331_114_187593.jpg

plated

I don’t know why it’s called a ‘chopped’ salad – the only chopped stuff are the walnuts and the bacon. But it was really good!

Thanks, Kim! I'm glad you enjoyed it ... And as for taking a spoon to it, well, I've also found that to be the most efficient way of making sure none goes to waste :)

We make the Ina Garten Cape Cod Salad often. We really love it. I discovered Pink Lady apples last year and think that they make a big difference. The salad dressing has orange zest and maple syrup in it. Wasn't sure how it would be, but it is really great. We have taken the ingredients for the salad when we go to dinner at people's houses and it is always a big hit. It also pairs really well with a good Pinot Noir.

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes

Rico – we had the salsa again tonight on tostadas – still so good!

Bella – we really loved it. I wondered if the dressing would be too sweet with the OJ and maple syrup and it isn’t at all! I’ll be making it again, I know and I’ll try the pink lady apples. They are one of our favorite apples.

Dinner tonight was Mexican Shredded Pork Tostadas from the March/April Cook’s Illustrated.

The pork after simmering and pan frying:

gallery_3331_114_247802.jpg

Plated w/ pineapple salsa, cojita cheese, avocado, cilantro and lime and black beans on the side:

gallery_3331_114_173082.jpg

Close up:

gallery_3331_114_120033.jpg

Kim, We have been on a taco kick. Made http://www.foodpeoplewant.com/tacos-de-barbacoa/ Thought that we would seal and freeze portions so that

we could have some good tacos whenever we had the urge. These were so good, we just kept eating them, without getting bored, most of the week. Never got to

freeze any. We need to make a bigger batch and freeze them. Then I could have one, like right now, when I want one.

Your pork looks really good. You mentioned simmering and pan frying. I take it that you made the dish on the stove and not in the oven. Do you have any

trouble regulating the heat on the stovetop? I find that I get better results in the oven. The burners seem to either stop simmering or start boiling too

hard. A heat diffuser helps, but I find that I just try to braise in the oven.

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes

A new baby can keep you away from posting pics, but a schedule of sorts is allowing some creativity to start flowing again:

Orecchiette carbonara w/peas and pea shoots

gallery_39170_6229_111797.jpg

Egg salad w/avocado

gallery_39170_6229_105166.jpg

Asparagus torte

gallery_39170_6229_180153.jpg

gallery_39170_6229_124983.jpg

We are still in the midst of one of our best asparagus seasons in years due to our mild winter--and I couldn't be happier. The price is staying at about $1.99 a pound now for over a month for fresh asparagus. The spears are harvested daily within just a few hours of Spokane. This asparagus came from Granger, WA, which is just West of the Tri-Cities which is in the Pasco-Richland-Kennewick area of the state.

I made a risotto and then put the asparagus tips in at the last 5 minutes of cooking. Since the spears are so fresh and tender they didn't need any par-boiling before being put right into the risotto. I also added some Dungeness Crab meat that I had in the freezer. All was well with a chilled glass of German Riesling-

019.JPG

MeniInProgress, that's a very authentic-looking bowl of noodles. David Ross, your risotto also looks fantastic, even though I'm not an asparagus fan. Likewise, MiFi, just about everything there, but especially the torte and the pea additions to the carbonara. Great idea.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Catching up after a busy few days....

--- Kim, Easter dinner looked fabulous, and I will be trying Mr. Kim's smoked lamb! The tostadas and the shrimp quesadillas looked pretty amazing, as well.

--- MiFi, loved your photos, and everything looked mouthwatering.

--- Rico, that etouffee looks remarkable. I'm going looking for that book.

--- DooDad, you're breaking my heart with that Low Country Boil...I want that, now!

Managed to find my way into the kitchen a few times in recent days. One evening, my first attempt at paella:

P4060664.JPG

with a plate of caprese salads, with the first ripe tomato of the spring (greenhouse grown, but still...)

P4060663.JPG

Red beans and rice, with arepas and tamales (the tamales from our signature barbecue joint here in Hot Springs)

P4150730.JPG

For a dinner for friends, grilled pork loin chops with raspberry chipotle glaze, roasted carrots, roasted broccoli with lemon and walnuts, and salt potatos.

P4160735.JPG

And finally, some shrimp, homemade cocktail sauce and tomatos I prepared quickly to go with this spring pea salad I was recipe-testing for Food 52 -- and it's a wonderful salad!

P4230761.JPG

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I would like a dinner invitation to each of your houses, please. :smile:

Slipper burgers (chapli kebab), from Barbecue Bible. Ground buffalo (sub for lamb) mixed with onions, garlic, ginger, cilantro, chiles, cayenne, black pepper, coriander, cumin, and salt. Burgers were chilled for an hour and then grilled to medium.

The boys, bless their hearts, prefer frozen patties from the grocery store. :sad:

I topped my slipper burger with Sriracha, mayo, and feta cheese, and enjoyed it with Mrs. C's modestly famous cabbage salad.

...and enjoyed it with Mrs. C's modestly famous cabbage salad.

Any chance we (well, OK, *I*) could get details on Mrs. C's salad so it would be FABULOUSLY famous, instead of modestly..... :wink:

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Octopus, squid and mushrooms sauteed in olive oil with garlic and dried chiles, added squid ink and served over spaghetti.

The seafood came from cans. Am I a terrible human being?

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

Cheeseburgers, baked beans and leftover risotto. The risotto saved very well – not as creamy, of course, but the texture and flavor were great.

Hi Kim,

Nice looking dinner.

Have you ever made Arancini with your leftover risotto?

Thanks, Nick. Well, that's leftover ORZO risotto (my daughter and I can't eat rice - both have had gastric bypasses) - do you think it would work? I adore arancini!

For interest's sake Kim, have you ever tried farro as a substitute for rice in your risotto?

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog