• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2010

Jmahl

I love banh mi, but assembling all of those ingredients can be a hassle. So, I stuffed a sausage casing with pork shoulder, pork belly, a little chicken liver, pickled carrots, pickled cukes, pickled daikon, Sriracha, and cilantro. I froze most of it uncooked. I pull a sausage out of the freezer when I get a banh mi hankering, and put it in a sliced and toasted baguette with spiced up mayonnaise, more cilantro, and another squirt of Sriracha.

Fantastic! I love the idea of using pickled vegetables in the sausage (although I'd probably still want some more on top).

Food Blog: Menu In Progress

I love banh mi, but assembling all of those ingredients can be a hassle. So, I stuffed a sausage casing with pork shoulder, pork belly, a little chicken liver, pickled carrots, pickled cukes, pickled daikon, Sriracha, and cilantro. I froze most of it uncooked. I pull a sausage out of the freezer when I get a banh mi hankering, and put it in a sliced and toasted baguette with spiced up mayonnaise, more cilantro, and another squirt of Sriracha.

Beautiful!

Last night I grilled a fresh, whole Sea Bream that I simply prepared by stuffing lemon and rosemary in the fish and seasoning it with some salt, pepper and olive oil. I served it with grilled bread and these wonderful Sweet Pea and Tarragon fresh ravioli that I found in the market. They're made by "Cucina Fresca" company of Seattle.

043.JPG

I served the ravioli with some fresh Walla Walla, WA, asparagus with a drizzle of olive oil and a garnish of chives from my garden. We are very fortunate in Eastern, Washington, this spring as our asparagus is quite early due to the mild winter. And my chives are thriving and just getting ready to start showing some small buds, another wonder from our mild winter.

050.JPG

emmalish – well, I’ll say thank you here for all the nice comments you’ve made everywhere else! All I can say is cooking is what I love to do and it’s how I show love (yes, we are a family of fatties). Also, I cook everything I can ahead of time and no one is allowed to actually EAT in the dining room for up to a week before the Big Day – because I set out all the serving pieces and put little indentifying stickies in them (I’m a wingnut, I know).

crowdingthepan – Love the banh mi sausages!

Rico – I passed on the lamb compliment to Mr. Kim – he was pleased you noticed his contribution. I LOVE the combination of shrimp and pineapple salsa! I’ll be trying that!

Dinner tonight was oven roasted steak (NY strip for Mr. Kim and 1/4 of a rib eye for me), orzo risotto and salad w/ balsamic vinaigrette and herbed goat cheese rounds:

gallery_3331_114_23488.jpg

gallery_3331_114_164824.jpg

gallery_3331_114_195996.jpg

A friend on another board brought that orzo recipe to my attention. I adore risotto and since rice gives my tummy trouble, I’ve missed it so much. This was absolutely delicious and I’ll be making it again and again! I have lots of risotto recipes that I’ll be adapting now!

This was supposed to be our wine tonight:

gallery_3331_114_76848.jpg

It went in the risotto and we were just going to drink it with dinner, even though it is a white. But our little fridge that we keep wine in went kerflooey and it was all but frozen – like a Chardonnay Slurpee. I have no idea what freezing does to the taste, but most of the wine went down the drain in flowing foam – there was just enough left for the risotto. It tasted ok to me – not great.

How long did you roast your steaks for Kim - they look great.

I made Charter Pie last night - this is a favourite with all the family - it is good hot and cold. It is my adaption of a chicken pie published in Jane Grigson’s book Good Things. The original recipe was mentioned by Parson Woodforde, a Norfolk clerical glutton in 1785. Grigson tells us it was originally a Cornish recipe, hers is made with two bunches of parsley but when I haven’t got enough parsley I use spinach on top of the chicken, it cuts the richness of the sauce. When it is cold the sauce sets into a delicious jelly. The pastry has a little icing sugar in it which picks up with the sweetness of the onions is the sauce. :wub:

It is best to fry the onions slowly in butter and brown the chicken well.

101_0177.JPG

My pastry art is not very good, that is supposed to be a chicken!!

101_0187.JPG

101_0191.JPG

101_0195.JPG

Pam Brunning Editor Food & Wine, the Journal of the European & African Region of the International Wine & Food Society

My link

Those cloverleaf rolls look lovely! I've never seen those before.

Yesterday I just had a tuna melt (quick & easy and I've always got all the ingredients)...

eg_tunamelt_041010.jpg

Today I spent a bit more time and made mushroom & leek risotto. I usually make this with tomatoes as well, which adds some colour and a bit more flavour, but I forgot to pick some up. I'll definitely be adding them to the leftovers tho. In the meantime, it's not pretty, but it's still tasty...

eg_risotto_1_041110.jpg

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

I decided to sous vide cook some pork fillet. It's pretty bland by itself so I sliced some figs, placed them on top and wrapped it in home-made pancetta and seared it in a hot pan. The meat was served on a bed of cooked fennel and sour cream puree accompanied by green beans cooked Italian-style in tomato sauce. Mixed together some olive oil and Pedro Ximinez Sherry vinegar emulsified with mustard as a sauce.

sous vide pork.jpg

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Sunday's dinner was short ribs (the Balthazar recipe) on top of parmesan herb risotto (from the latest Cook's Illustrated issue) and some grilled marinated artichokes. Had some of the short rib leftovers last night and thought the flavor was even more developed than it was on Sunday. The risotto recipe was an "almost no stir" recipe that calls for letting the stock absorb into the rice in a dutch oven. I was so happy with how the risotto came out I may use this technique for all future risottos; so nice not having to stir constantly!

1118shortribs.jpg

HappyLab – love the egg on the pasta. That is such a great idea and something that I never think of doing!

nickrey – I love the combination of the figs, pork and pancetta! It looks delicious.

Dinner last night was very simple:

P1040576.JPG

Cheeseburgers, baked beans and leftover risotto. The risotto saved very well – not as creamy, of course, but the texture and flavor were great.

Cheeseburgers, baked beans and leftover risotto. The risotto saved very well – not as creamy, of course, but the texture and flavor were great.

Hi Kim,

Nice looking dinner.

Have you ever made Arancini with your leftover risotto?

My eG Foodblog

Hi Kim,

Nice looking dinner.

Thanks, Nick. Well, that's leftover ORZO risotto (my daughter and I can't eat rice - both have had gastric bypasses) - do you think it would work? I adore arancini!

Hi Kim,

Nice looking dinner.

Thanks, Nick. Well, that's leftover ORZO risotto (my daughter and I can't eat rice - both have had gastric bypasses) - do you think it would work? I adore arancini!

I'd definitely try it. Please let us know how it turns out.

Edited by nickrey (log)

My eG Foodblog