• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2010

Jmahl

Oatmeal apple crumble

DSCF0039.JPG

6 apples from the 100yen store = 418yen (!). A little butter, sugar and the juice of a lemon and the zest of two. Crumble topping with jumbo oats and broken-up sliced almonds. Punchy, satisfying and full of flavour.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Hungarian braised beef, a chuck roast cut in two-inch chunks, seared, coated in paprika and then braised in a wonderful tomato sauce. I served it over rice, but it would have been just as good, or perhaps better, over egg noodles.

016.JPG

A quick after-work meal of migas, heavy on the cheese and light on the peppers, as my 20-year-old was eating as well.

002.JPG

Tonight, if I can get the sink unclogged, it's meat loaf, potato gratin and....something.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Pilori,

Your pasta looks a lot like something we were told translates to "Strangle the Priest". I have the name in Italian somewhere. I will try to find it.

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes

Pilori,

Your pasta looks a lot like something we were told translates to "Strangle the Priest". I have the name in Italian somewhere. I will try to find it.

It is "strozzapreti" or "priest chokers," which comes from Emilia-Romagna. Legend has it that some priests when visiting had a reputation as gluttons and the pasta was of such a shape that it would "choke the priest" given his eating habits.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

robirdstx – beautiful bread!

Peter – love the look of the potatoes and gooey cheese. I want to do that soon.

percyn – I want all the specifics of that short rib, sweet potato soufflé, cornbread dish. That looks and sounds so amazing. We have a foot of snow, so I can’t go shopping tomorrow, but I want that very, very soon!!

This is what it looked like at my house today:

med_gallery_3331_114_166770.jpg

gorgeous, lovely, isolating SNOW!

We had notice that this would happen, so I went shopping on the way home yesterday. Today I cooked :) !

gallery_3331_114_160711.jpg

CI American white bread

Slice:

med_gallery_3331_114_17224.jpg

I also made Bourdain’s boeuf bourguignon:

med_gallery_3331_114_137204.jpg

Dinner was an iceberg wedge salad w/ bleu cheese dressing and bacon:

med_gallery_3331_114_190376.jpg

and the bourguignon w/ some roasted red potatoes:

med_gallery_3331_114_214076.jpg

A perfect warming, comforting winter meal.

percyn – I want all the specifics of that short rib, sweet potato soufflé, cornbread dish. That looks and sounds so amazing. We have a foot of snow, so I can’t go shopping tomorrow, but I want that very, very soon!!

Kim, that bread and boeuf bourguignon looks amazing.

As for the Asian glazed short ribs, it is super simple recipe based on this recipe from Wegmans.

The corn bread and sweet potato souffle were bought from the store as this was a mid-week dinner.

I'm mightily impressed with robirdstx's bread in the dutch oven. It looks fantastic, very well done indeed.

Picked up some game birds the at the market other week. I've been buying wood pigeons recently but fancied something different this time.

First off is simple roast partridge, orange toffee cumin carrots, roast pink fir spuds and cavalo nero with some of the bacon used to roast the bird. The sauce was just a pan reduction of marsala and chicken stock.

gallery_52657_5922_93036.jpg

The second bird was wild duck. I fried the breast with a some warm spices; cinnamon, cumin & coriander and did a little confit of the legs with the some spicing too. This was served with curried pumpkin (from my mum's garden) and basmati rice. The combination of the duck and pumpkin was sensational and something i'm itching to do again:

gallery_52657_5922_199053.jpg

Sea Bass with chorizo laden rice:

gallery_52657_5922_99131.jpg

Dong Po Pork, doesn't look like much but tastes incredible. One of my favourite things to eat:

gallery_52657_5922_56270.jpg

Blueberry Cheesecake

gallery_52657_5922_18260.jpg

Kim, that bread and boeuf bourguignon looks amazing.

As for the Asian glazed short ribs, it is super simple recipe based on this recipe from Wegmans.

The corn bread and sweet potato souffle were bought from the store as this was a mid-week dinner.

The ribs look wonderful, but what is this Wegman's oil thing to which they refer? Don't have Wegman's here in S. Florida... TIA!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

This months Royal Foodie Joust challenge was fish, coconut milk and nutmeg. I haven't participated in one since September so it seemed like a good ingredient list to jump back on board with. It was nice to get the challenge done and get dinner done at the same time. :biggrin:

rfj.jpg

escovitch cod - coconut milk rundown - green banana porridge - pickled red onion - nutmeg

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

The ribs look wonderful, but what is this Wegman's oil thing to which they refer? Don't have Wegman's here in S. Florida... TIA!

The Wegman's "basting oil" referred to is essentially an oil (grapeseed?) infused with various herbs and garlic. If you add crushed garlic and herb de Provence to some heated oil and allow if to cool, it would be a close approximation.

Dong Po Pork, doesn't look like much but tastes incredible. One of my favourite things to eat:

Any chance you have a recipe for this please? :-) looks wonderful!

Of course, I've just put this recipe into the recipegullet.

Thank you Kim, Percyn and Prawncrackers.

Tonight I am on my own and its chilly and rainy out, so I made a simple Risotto using the last of the goose broth from the Christmas goose. Just what I was craving. :biggrin:

Edited by robirdstx (log)

Hi everyone! Amazing meals and photos, as usual! Maybe life has slowed down enough that I can become a regular around here again

My husband has been goose hunting like crazy this year so I've made him save all the hearts and livers. Here I made a goose liver salad. It was pretty good. A little dry, but good.

Goose liver salad 001.jpg

I made chicken and slick noodles over the weekend. (see the chicken and dumpling topic)

Dumplings 002.jpg

Served over mashed taters

Dumplings 010.jpg

I've been hoarding this bag of frozen rhubarb that my mom picked from her yard. I finally decided to let go of it and make a tart. Not very pretty, but it tastes good.

Rhubarb tart 004.jpg

Ravioli in brodo

DSCF0050.JPG

DSCF0054.JPG

DSCF0058.JPG

Homemade egg pasta; sardine & saffron stuffing, using the knife-minced flesh of two aji (small jacks - about the same as pilchards). To ~6oz of fish meat for two, half a stewed medium onion (left over from making Marcella Hazan's tomato, butter & onion sauce), 3tbsp parsley, 1/4 clove garlic, very small pinch cayenne, salt & pepper.

Broth made with the fish carcasses and a bay leaf, half a dozen peppercorns, water and 1/4 glass of wine. A pinch of saffron threads steeped in ~3tbsp of this for 15 minutes, and this mixed into the fish stuffing. The rest of the broth seasoned to serve.

The saffron worked really well with the blue fish.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Haven't been on egullet in such a long time, and certainly haven't visited this thread for a while, so I felt the need to share a recent lunch. What could be better to find in a lunch box than three light, spongy idlis, coated in spicy yoghurt? I didn't take a photo, but luckily I have made this particular lunch before, so I have some old photos (I may have posted these before, though I don't remember doing so)

DSCN3185.JPG

Freshly made idlis (made with brown rice), waiting to be bathed in yoghurt.

DSCN3186.JPG

First however comes chopped tomato, chilli powder, roasted and ground cumin and coriander, black pepper and salt.

DSCN3187.JPG

The idlis are well covered now, but they are lying in wait, and getting juicier by the moment as they suck up some of the yoghurt.