• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2010

Jmahl

I did a masterclass the other day with Nicolas le Bec. Wanted to let my wife try the product that evening and also to cook it while it was fresh in my mind.

Prawn Ravioli with a sauce from the shells:

prawns.jpg

Poached Atlantic Salmon in Cider Jus with Apple and Cucumber Tartare:

fish.jpg

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Great stuff to start the new year off folks, in particular the pastrami and homemade spaghetti. Yum yum, i should put pastrami on my 2010 recipe challenge.

I've mostly been cooking comfort dishes in the past week. Easing myself in with some familiar recipes that are fairly simple to put together.

Salt & Pepper Pork Ribs with Instant Noodles (yes!)

gallery_52657_5922_139561.jpg

Paella. We've been frozen for weeks in the UK, the longest cold snap for generation. I had a need for a summer dish - thank goodness for frozen seafood:

gallery_52657_5922_142208.jpg

Crab Linguine

gallery_52657_5922_165057.jpg

Thai Green Curry with Beef & Aubergines

gallery_52657_5922_242647.jpg

Claypot Rice with Lap Cheung, Yuun Ceung, Lap Yuk, Lap Ap & Gai Lan (aka the works!)

gallery_52657_5922_50078.jpg

Aw thanks folks for your such kind words :blush:

I'm just glad to give back to the Dinner thread what I get from it. It's always so motivational and inspirational to see what other people are cooking. The last few meals were particularly colourful and photogenic. They don't always turn out as I hope but then you know I wouldn't subject you to anything but my best efforts!

robirdstx, for the salt and pepper spare ribs there are a number of steps but it's fairly easy once you've learnt it:

- Marinate ribs with a little soy and shaosing wine

- Steam them gently for 45-60 mins till cooked and tender. Cool a little before dredging them in potato or corn starch and deep frying till crispy.

- Prepare the salt and pepper mix. Toast a tsp of Sichaun pepper and a tsp of salt till the pepper is smoking a little then grind into a fine powder. Do this as late as possible because the pepper will lose it's pungency quickly.

- Chop up the chillies, i used sharp tasting thin green chillies and hot red birds eye, a lot, about a dozen in total. Finely mince 4 fat cloves of garlic too. Important that you mince the garlic so that they are tiny pieces and not a paste.

- Fry the garlic and chillies gently in some oil, be careful as they will burn very quickly. Keep stirring, then add the ribs and the salt and pepper mix. Toss them all together and plate up this extravagantly aromatic dish.

percyn – lovely pork! I really would love to try doing things sous vide, but just can’t justify the expense when I have so many cooking things that I already don’t use enough! The tart is gorgeous, too!

Nick – those amazing looking ravioli are making my third night of roast beef in 4 days look really dull.

Prawn – as always, every dish is just a perfect picture of culinary wonder! You are an amazing cook and photographer!

powerplantop – I love lamb and lentils together – they are just a great combination. I have a great recipe for lamb and lentil stew that I will have to dig out now!

Dinner last night was just leftovers:

med_gallery_3331_114_199876.jpg

salad with my dad’s paprika dressing

med_gallery_3331_114_214554.jpg

reruns from Monday – hot roast beef sandwiches, mashed potatoes and broccoli.

Tonight we had Maxim a special guest. By request he wanted "Pizza a la Mona." Maxim, who is ten years old loves food and X-Box 360.

Pizza and Maxim 007.JPG

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

I cooked from a Christmas present – Curry Cuisine – tonight. Both recipes turned out nicely, although I will use more cashew paste in the korma next time. Mrs. C cut up sweet jicama and a buttery avocado for vegetable matter.

Edit: missing word

South Indian chicken korma and ghee rice

Edited by C. sapidus (log)

Grilled Pork Chop with Green Olive Sauce-

gallery_41580_4407_77246.jpg

The sauce was something I just came up with while I was wandering through the grocery store. I wanted a piquant flavor in the sauce to cut through the richness of the pork so that's why I settled on the flavors of green olives. I decided on green olives stuffed with pimentos and minced them in a blender with some olive oil and a bit of the brining juice from the olives. I added some black pepper, dried marjoram, cumin seed and celery seed.

I served the pork with cornbread that I mixed with salsa, braised leeks and a coleslaw that I tossed with a bottled poppyseed dressing. Enjoy.

Last weekend, I tried my hand at my interpretation of Chinese roast pork, which is certainly not the traditional Chinese roast pork, but my own version:

004.JPG

served with fried rice and sesame roasted root vegetables:

007.JPG

My 20-year-old declared it a success.

One evening, it was a pot of rather plebian chili -- yes, it had ground beef instead of cubes, and yes, it had beans, but it was GOOD:

004.JPG

Had it with an assortment of cheeses -- tomme d'espelette, uniekaas robusto, and roasted ricotta. And the major portion of a bottle of Trapiche Oak Cask malbec.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

a bit of cooking but not much for me - major oral surgery.

thursday - leftovers for john and an inspiration for me for some of my first solid food. pork snitzel and egg noodles for johnnybird and some stewed tomatoes with honey cooked until almost a paste for me. got the craving while reading the book What We Eat When We Eat Alone by Deborah Madison. Along with Judith Jones' memoir and her newest book Cooking for One a great read.

yesterday - bangers with mash and brown gravy for john, soft scrambled eggs and mash with gravy for me.

today - got out and resupplied myself with apples to make applesauce. for john's breakfast the first pancakes came out super thin - more crepe like than pancake like so i rolled it with some of the applesauce, added a few blueberries and a drizzle of maple syrup. he loved them. more leftovers for him for dinner and a pureed veg soup for me.

thinking about actually buying some ramekins so i can make individual cheese souffles or flans. haven't done those since the restaurant days.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Jmahl – that is one gorgeous pizza!

David – what an inspired sauce! I adore stuffed green olives and can imagine how great that was with pork!

kayb – lovely pork! I’d love to have the recipe.

Dinner last night was a copy of an amazing burger that someone on Marlene’s made. He used the NYT method for the burger (packing the meat only enough to hold it together and cooking with a combination of searing stovetop and then roasting). I don’t think that I’ll ever use another method to cook a burger. They were perfect. Finished with cheese:

med_gallery_3331_114_158994.jpg

That cheese is Saga bleu Brie, which was fantastic with the caramelized onions.

Plated - on English muffins with bacon and caramelized onions:

med_gallery_3331_114_236948.jpg

I cooked ours a little longer than recommended – we like them more med/med well – maybe an additional 3 minutes, but they were a bit pinker than this picture shows:

med_gallery_3331_114_164469.jpg

Served with a salad topped with the seemingly never ending supply of my dad’s dressing:

med_gallery_3331_114_194322.jpg

I made this dressing for Christmas and, obviously overestimated what I would need. We still have a TON of it, it still tastes great and we love it, so it is our house dressing until it tastes funny :P .

Percy and Kim -- Happy to provide the recipe, here:

http://kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com/2010/01/10/the-kitchen-as-laboratory/

I failed to note in the blog post that I basted the pork about three times during the course of cooking. The sauce was an improvisation because I thought I had hoisin sauce, and didn't, so I faked it.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Dinner last night was a copy of an amazing burger that someone on Marlene’s made. He used the NYT method for the burger (packing the meat only enough to hold it together and cooking with a combination of searing stovetop and then roasting). I don’t think that I’ll ever use another method to cook a burger...

I made this dressing for Christmas and, obviously overestimated what I would need. We still have a TON of it...

Kim, do you have a link for the burger recipe? I've missed reading that one.

As for the salad dressing, if it's an oil, vinegar, herb combination it might taste good as a marinade for some roasted veg. I rub leftover salad dressing on chunks of potatoes, carrots, eggplant, peppers, zucchini, and roast the veg in a hot oven (400-425 F) until the vegs are tender and golden brown.

Yesterday, in the company of friends old and new, we cooked our first goose. Who said this was a bad thing.

this was our first goose even. And on the Weber yet.

Goose 003.JPG

Goose 005.JPG

Now being carved.

Goose 010.JPG

Started off with my first attempt at borscht - turned out just like grandma Minnie's as I remember it.

Goose 007.JPG

With the goose we had puree of parsnips, blanched spinach with sesame seeds, julienned carrots, and creamed cabbage with caraway seeds.

We wash it all down with a couple of good bottles of wine.

This may have been our first goose but I suspect not our last.

Now we have all that goose fat. Ho how it sets one to thinking.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Our dinner tonight was unashamedly (slightly) adapted from one of the sous vide videos by the chef at Eleven Madison Park (see here).

Sous vide salmon with stuffed zucchini flowers and red capsicum hollandaise.

zucchini scaled salmon.jpg

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog