• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2009

Shelby

New Year's Eve!

Prime rib, baked taters stuffed with mushrooms, broccoli and cheese.gallery_54689_4781_59153.jpg

(NOTE FROM MANAGEMENT: This topic is a continuation of Dinner! 2008)

Edited by Chris Hennes
Added management note. (log)

Dr J – I think steak with ponzu sounds delicious – and the sweet potato experiment looks gorgeous!

menuinprogress - just lovely, lovely food – words just fail me!

Shelby – wow! It all looks good and that prime rib is just cooked to perfection!

My New Year’s day dinner is in process. The collards and the black eyed peas are in the ‘boiling like hell’ phase and the pork is simply leftover ham that I’ll pan fry. Pictures tomorrow, probably. Mr. Kim is out having a beer with an online friend who is in town and Jessica is in PARIS (she left the 26th to go to Ireland to visit a friend who was transferred there – they flew over on the 30th to spend NYE in Paris), so I am indulging myself with a lunch that they complain about – sardines packed in mustard and oil and saltines w/ butter. They hate the smell so much that I usually only have them when I’m alone. No pictures – they aren’t very lovely to look at :raz: !

Dr J – I think steak with ponzu sounds delicious – and the sweet potato experiment looks gorgeous!

menuinprogress  - just lovely, lovely food – words just fail me!

Shelby – wow!  It all looks good and that prime rib is just cooked to perfection!

My New Year’s day dinner is in process.  The collards and the black eyed peas are in the ‘boiling like hell’ phase and the pork is simply leftover ham that I’ll pan fry.  Pictures tomorrow, probably.  Mr. Kim is out having a beer with an online friend who is in town and Jessica is in PARIS (she left the 26th to go to Ireland to visit a friend who was transferred there – they flew over on the 30th to spend NYE in Paris), so I am indulging myself with a lunch that they complain about – sardines packed in mustard and oil and saltines w/ butter.  They hate the smell so much that I usually only have them when I’m alone.  No pictures – they aren’t very lovely to look at :raz: !

Yummmmmmmmm sardines sound good. Happy New Year, Kim! And, thanks, the prime rib was soooooo good.

Tonight we're having:

Crawfish pie

Hoppin John

Deviled eggs

Wine

Oh and maybe some bread pudding if I get inspired.

Happy New Year Everyone!

i did my ham in the form of a quiche this morning and, unbeknownst to mr fussy eater, my greens(chiffonaded kale) and beans(blackeyed peas) were incorporated into a chicken noodle soup we had when we got home from our traditional New Year's day birding trip.

i used the dark meat from the free range chicken from sunday's dinner, the leftover chicken gravy, some leftover chicken stock and another quart from the fridge. onion, carrot and bay(hard to believe but i am out of garlic!!) and when ready to finish with the rinsed and drained blackeyed peas, the kale and the cooked thin egg noodles.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

i did my ham in the form of a quiche this morning and, unbeknownst to mr fussy eater, my greens(chiffonaded kale) and beans(blackeyed peas) were incorporated into a chicken noodle soup we had when we got home from our traditional New Year's day birding trip.

i used the dark meat from the free range chicken from sunday's dinner, the leftover chicken gravy, some leftover chicken stock and another quart from the fridge.  onion, carrot and bay(hard to believe but i am out of garlic!!) and when ready to finish with the rinsed and drained blackeyed peas, the kale and the cooked thin egg noodles.

Sounds really good, Suzi!

Two in a row for me?? Where is everyone?

This was dinner last night:

gallery_34972_3580_20423.jpg

gallery_34972_3580_88566.jpg

Just leftovers from our NYE dinner – cheeses, crackers, nuts, fruit, some little frozen puff pastry thingies and crab meltaways.

gallery_34972_3580_191176.jpg

These are the puff pastries and the crab meltaways.

After the last two weeks, I needed a quiet night. Last night was it. I set all that out in about 10 minutes and then we nibbled on that all evening. I did nothing but eat and sit on couch and read. It was lovely.

gallery_52700_6379_352189.jpg

No girlfriend or dog around today, and nothing in particular to do, so what better way to spend my time than making what turned out to be an excessively complex and minute dish? Made shrimp with sambal, pear and mirliton (chayote). This was based on a dish in Eric Ripert's new book, but I substituted some nice gulf shrimp for langoustines.

Tasted good-- especially the sambal, which I ended up soaking bread in afterward-- but I couldn't help but feel the amount of effort that went in was extremely disproportionate to the tiny, tiny outcome. Oh well. Portion control, I guess.

Edited by MikeHartnett (log)

Tonight was my fist attempt at lamb chops (local lamb from MD, I'm happy to say). After marinating in oregano, garlic, lemon juice and olive oil, I seared chops on both sides and finished in the oven. I read somewhere that it would take 10 minutes to reach an internal temperature of 140, which, to my surprise, was exactly correct. Unfortunately, the residual heat cooked them to 152 -- way beyond medium rare. I will adjust the timing in the future. I served the chops on top of beet tzatziki. Very good flavor, even if a tad overcooked. As a second course, arugula salad with blood oranges, shaved Parmesan and toasted pine nuts. The dressing was a simple vinaigrette with blood orange juice. Not bad for a Monday night dinner.

RD

gallery_54530_6384_39174.jpg

gallery_54530_6384_79328.jpg

It's been a long, long time since I've posted in this thread, but I made the recipe for Cheese-Stuffed Chicken Cutlets With Mustard Sauce from the most recent Food and Wine which arrived acouple of days ago. It was remarkably easy and very, very good. Not to mention I had all the ingredients on hand already. (Ok, so I substituted dried thyme for fresh (1/3 the amount). It was still very good.)

gallery_15557_2797_27235.jpg

Sauteed green beans with dill and lemon on the side.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

lapin d’or – your biscuits/scones are lovely! Can we count on finding them on menus when we come to England in 2010, or are they a specialty of yours?

Marcia – as soon as I saw that picture, I turned around and pulled my issue of Food and Wine out of the stack of mail that was sitting on the table behind me. I’ll be making that one soon! I hope you are going to be posting more often – I missed you!

This was Jessica’s welcome home from Ireland dinner on Monday:

gallery_34972_3580_152399.jpg

Spinach and romaine salad w/ roasted pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries and chow mein noodles and red wine vinaigrette

gallery_34972_3580_149997.jpg

Chicken and artichoke/spinach dip lasagna made w/ egg roll wrappers and Alfredo sauce and crusty 4 cheese bread. This lasagna is a total cheat dish that I came up with one night when I was shopping for dinner at something like 7pm. I wanted something gooey and rich and warm and FAST. I just use poached chicken breast and artichoke and spinach dip from the freezer section. The first time I did it, I just thinned out the dip with some refrigerated Alfredo sauce and dumped it on top of the chicken and we all liked it a lot and thought it would make good lasagna. It did.

Spinach and romaine salad w/ roasted pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries and chow mein noodles and red wine vinaigrette

Chicken and artichoke/spinach dip lasagna made w/ egg roll wrappers and Alfredo sauce and crusty 4 cheese bread.  This lasagna is a total cheat dish that I came up with one night when I was shopping for dinner at something like 7pm.  I wanted something gooey and rich and warm and FAST.  I just use poached chicken breast and artichoke and spinach dip from the freezer section.  The first time I did it, I just thinned out the dip with some refrigerated Alfredo sauce and dumped it on top of the chicken and we all liked it a lot and thought it would make good lasagna.  It did.

Kim, love the plates! Candy canes for dinner, whee! :laugh: Is the recipe for your lasagna in "The Book"? I sorta looked, but didn't see it right off. :wacko::rolleyes:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Chicken and artichoke/spinach dip lasagna made w/ egg roll wrappers and Alfredo sauce and crusty 4 cheese bread.  This lasagna is a total cheat dish that I came up with one night when I was shopping for dinner at something like 7pm.  I wanted something gooey and rich and warm and FAST.  I just use poached chicken breast and artichoke and spinach dip from the freezer section.  The first time I did it, I just thinned out the dip with some refrigerated Alfredo sauce and dumped it on top of the chicken and we all liked it a lot and thought it would make good lasagna.  It did.

Kim, love the plates! Candy canes for dinner, whee! :laugh: Is the recipe for your lasagna in "The Book"? I sorta looked, but didn't see it right off. :wacko::rolleyes:

Here is the source of this recipe. Except this time, I REALLY cheated and used Friday's artichoke and spinach dip from the frozen food section and refrigerated Alfredo sauce. I just mixed up the chopped chicken and thawed dip and layer it with the egg roll wrappers and Alfredo sauce (totally eyeballed) and topped it with some Parm before baking.

Kim,

Is the recipe for Marlene's potatoes on your website?  I couldn't find it.  Those look SOOO good!

I will be soon - like tonight! And it'll be called Marlene's Cream Roasted Potatoes! Truly a magic recipe - you douse them in cream and they absorb it and become crisp. I need Alton B to explain that one to me, I think!

Maybe Alton could do better, but I think it goes like this: Butter= cream - water. Roasting dehydrates the water from the potatoes and the cream, leaving a more butterlike liquid and a thirsty potato. Potato drinks up the "almost butter" which clings to the surface of the potato pieces and lubes them to crispy perfection. "Know what I mean, Norm?" :laugh:

yes, pretty much. The other "secret" ingredient is to add some mustard powder to the heavy cream before pouring over the potatoes. :smile:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

gallery_23695_426_99800.jpg

8 hour braised pork shoulder with chipotle sauce, avocados, and onions served with beans and marinated cucumbers

Eaten standing by the stove while heating each tortilla between bites :raz:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I purchased a Masterbuilt electric smoker recently and have been playing around smoking different things. Here are a few shots of my most recent attempts.

smoked brisket was my first thing to smoke

gallery_6878_3484_27550.jpg

gallery_6878_3484_31190.jpggallery_6878_3484_6422.jpg

followed by a few spatchcocked chickens

gallery_6878_3484_11914.jpg

a salmon fillet. Part was used to make a smoked fish spead

gallery_6878_3484_6708.jpg

and today I took a prepared corned beef and after an all night soak to leach out salt coated it and smoked it to make pastrami

gallery_6878_3484_79388.jpg

scubadoo97 – that is some gorgeous smoking!!! I’d love to taste and smell it!

Dinner tonight was just perfect for the wintry weather that they were having in Pittsburgh (the football game that we were watching while eating), maybe a little less perfect for the warmer Richmond weather:

gallery_34972_3580_80188.jpg

Navy Bean Soup

gallery_34972_3580_233213.jpg

Corn fritters and slaw.

I have to thank Rachel for inspiring this meal. She had basically the same meal last week!

Dessert will be a taste test of THREE DIFFERENT yellow cakes that I made today. I am determined to find a go-to yellow cake recipe, so we are testing them here tonight and I’ll take them to work tomorrow for more testing. Results and pictures tomorrow in the desserts thread.

Edited by Kim Shook (log)