• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2009

Shelby

Nice meals all.

Today, I made Sous Vide Beef w/Lobster and Sauce Américaine - the bits in the sauce are lobster tomale scrambled in at the last minute.

CIMG7181-1024.jpg

Beef was cooked Sous Vide @60C (140F) and then torched for some Mayard reaction effect.

CIMG7177-1024.jpg

Pink throughout

CIMG7179-1024.jpg

Wife's version without the sauce

CIMG7187-1024.jpg

Sadly, we didn't raise a pig this year. On the other hand, it's a good time to clean the ice box. The chest freezer in the cellar is almost empty so everything was moved to the kitchen fridge and a few odds and sods were defrosted for immediate consumption. Found some lamb flank ribs, pork shoulder slices, a small beef flank steak and four chicken thighs:

gallery_42214_6390_26150.jpg

Who says you can't have a four-protein tasting menu for dinner at home?

The pork was ground for a terrine, thighs were boned, the beef was rubbed with dry spices and the lamb was simmered for an hour. The beef and the lamb ribs are going on the grill:

gallery_42214_6390_114090.jpg

Chicken thighs stuffed with three kinds of olives:

gallery_42214_6390_66881.jpg

Lamb ribs on very thick rosemary sauce, with minty wild rice:

gallery_42214_6390_24195.jpg

Beef sliced thin with horseradish mashed potatoes and walnut cherry sauce:

gallery_42214_6390_29511.jpg

I forgot to add the sauce before taking the beef flank steak picture, so here's the black cherry sauce with walnuts:

gallery_42214_6390_46579.jpg

The mini pork terrine with capers went over well as a starter, in fact it disappeared before I could take a picture.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

With temperatures expected in the triple digits here (never quite got there, but close) we wanted something cool and light.

Chilled shrimp with avocado and garden fresh tomatoes. Homemade cocktail sauce not shown.

shr-tom-avo.jpg

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

You'd think autumn hasn't arrived, what with the weather in NYC and the offerings at USGM (Union Square Greenmarket). Case in point is tonight's dinner, which btw is pretty much ALL from USGM with the exception of the flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg in the gnocchi.

3951487965_ac6f0dd32d_o.jpg

Ricotta gnocchi with corn and heirloom tomatoes

Local lamb shoulder, braised in red wine/madeira/water, carrot, onion and celery root, green peppercorn, rosemary, lemon thyme - house crouton garnish

IMG_2442.JPG

Tuna loin topped with spicey tomato confit and garden basil

IMG_2443.JPG

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Lovely meals, all!

Soba – everything you cook is so beautiful and fresh looking!

Johnny – mmmm, braised lamb! C’mon Fall food!!!!

We had a high school friend of mine from DC down for the weekend. Dinner last night was romaine, hearts of palm and radish salad w/ ginger dressing (like Japanese steak house dressing):

P1030124.JPG

Scallops With Miso-Mustard Cream Sauce:

P1030122.JPG

Pan Roasted Glazed Salmon:

P1030123.JPG

Orzo w/ herbs and vegetable broth:

P1030130.JPG

Stir Fried Sugar Snaps:

P1030126.JPG

Grilled ciabatta slices:

P1030128.JPG

Ginger Mascarpone Icebox Cake w/ Caramel Apple Sauce:

P1030135.JPG

We had a bottle of Sancerre with dinner – it’s become my new favorite wine.

Kim -- thanks. Salmon looks delicious (I'm a huge fan of salmon, it's one of my favorite fish). I'm also not a dessert person normally but I think I could spring for a piece of that cake.

Light dinner last night:

3960582868_dbba638aa6_o.jpg

Slow-roasted cherry tomatoes and fromage blanc, paired with corn-marjoram fritters

Cheese plate (not shown), golden raspberry jam, toast points

2006 Anthony Road Pinot Gris

We're knee-deep in Indian summer here in New York. I have a huge mess of corn and tomatoes to go through before any fall food makes an appearance in my kitchen.

Everyone is making tons of beautiful and interesting food, but the two dishes that jumped out and said “eat me” (in a good way :wink: ) were johnnyd’s lamb and deensiebat’s swiss chard and goat cheese quiche.

Okanagancook, welcome! Your Afghani meal looks delicious, and I hope you will share more of your cooking.

Grilled chicken marinated with oyster sauce, soy sauce, garlic, sugar, and black pepper (gai yang), served with coconut rice and sweet chile sauce. Mrs. C prepared assorted vegetables, including what may be the last of this summer’s particularly glorious tomato crop.

Can't find the LUNCH! topic and this was too late for BREAKFAST! thread, so here we are,

IMG_2451.JPG

Fresh Haddock, Cape Elizabeth onion and heirloom tomato, poached in butter, garlic and lemon peel - garden basil and black pepper grind garnish.

IMG_2454.JPG

Standard Baking baguette on the side. Secret ingredient: capful of Noilly Prat white vermouth.

An hour later and I would have cracked open some pinot grigio, but I'm a good boy.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

very nice, Johnny

3970197571_9ff81cf513_o.jpg

Roast chicken (a la Thomas Keller); sautéed peppers and heirloom green beans; steamed rice and heirloom tomatoes

Life is good.

edit to say: the chicken was from Flying Pigs Farm in upstate New York. you can buy them at Union Square Greenmarket on Saturdays. it totally blew me away. no comparison to regular supermarket chicken.

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

Yes, I smell besan as well as dahi; and dhania is prime suspect number three.

It's up to you, Jenni - so you're advertising but there're no loss leaders. At least we know you're not a supermarket :smile:

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.