• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2009

Shelby

I'm having a hard time getting the image feature to work. Bear with me. It keeps deleting me so I'm trying to manually trick it. We'll see...

Anyway, I love the dinner thread. I keep a file folder named "Inspiration" with various folders in it featuring all of the photos that have inspired me pasted in a Power Point file. Then, when I need to plan something, I can see a slide show of various foods you have cooked. For instance, I have "In the Heat of Summer" in use often now, but then I have things like breakfast and brunch, preserving summer -- you know the ones. So, I'm trying to contribute now. I have the pictures but not the knowhow. So, here goes my first dinner contribution... not that it will inspire anyone, but at least I'll be giving back to a thread that I watch daily.

Fish fry -- standard fare of fried fish, baked beans (my Mom's recipe which is very hearty with ground beef, onions and other goodies), cole slaw and potato salad.

gallery_9244_6397_94524.jpg

It was really good.

Rhonda

ETA: Don't forget to note the fine china :raz:

Edited by PopsicleToze (log)

Fish fry -- standard fare of fried fish, baked beans (my Mom's recipe which is very hearty with ground beef, onions and other goodies), cole slaw and potato salad. 

gallery_9244_6397_94524.jpg

ETA:  Don't forget to note the fine china :raz:

Now, see, this is just perfect. (Well, with a little tarter sauce on the side for me, please.) You could serve this in a doggie bowl, and it would still be a thing of beauty. I can taste/feel the crunch of that fish right through the computer screen. Nicely done, Rhonda !

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

wow - that chicken teryiaki burger, the thai grilled chicken and the fish are really calling to me. will be single tomorrow so i may need to do one of those.

like most of northern new jersey over father's day had this from ShopRite

gallery_403_6649_19789.jpg

pan seared and oven roasted filet. served thinly sliced with some garlic mashed potatoes and a shallot red-wine reduced pan sauce

wednesday's dinner started with this

gallery_403_6649_8078.jpg

which was used to help create the broth for the clams to open in for a dinner of clam and oven roasted shrimp pasta

gallery_403_6649_22538.jpg

now it's off to pick up some lobster for lobster rolls and start the baked beans for johnnybird to take up to Poughkeepsie tomorrow... and maybe get some chicken breasts and pineapple or some nice white fish to fry.

NOTE TO SELF: DO NOT LOOK AT DINNER THREAD BEFORE GOING TO GROCERY STORE!!!

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Thank you, Kim, you are too kind! Mrs. C made most of tonight’s dinner, so I grilled (broiled) eggplant a la Marcella, with garlic, rosemary, pepper, and lots of olive oil.

gallery_42956_2536_23737.jpg

Good god Bruce, that looks amazing! Which Marcella book is that technique from? And is there any special trick to it besides scoring, slathering with oil and spices, and broiling? How long does it typically take in the broiler?

Hi everyone!

I cooked borsch today, a dinner staple in my home country -

gallery_34224_2175_200760.jpg

And my American Man spent almost the whole day smoking ribs... The result was worth all that smoke floating around.

gallery_34224_2175_109302.jpg

He also made this tasty, tart, sweet, and slightly bitter lemonade.

gallery_34224_2175_145823.jpg

And... As I type this, I'm drinking tea with this brown sugar coffee cake; a friend from Israel shared the recipe with me a few years ago, and since then it's a reliable favorite.

gallery_34224_2175_129624.jpg

Good god Bruce, that looks amazing! Which Marcella book is that technique from? And is there any special trick to it besides scoring, slathering with oil and spices, and broiling? How long does it typically take in the broiler?

EmilyR, thank you very much. You have pretty much described the recipe, which is extremely simple. If the eggplant might be bitter, salt and drain it before cooking. Cook the eggplant about 12 inches from the broiler until it has achieved the degree of crispiness and creaminess that you like, brushing with olive oil every once in a while. Maybe 20 minutes total?

I prefer broiling to grilling, because broiling keeps all the olive oil from dripping out (this is probably not low-calorie :rolleyes: ). I am away from my cookbooks for a few days, but I think the recipe is in Marcella's Italian Kitchen.

I cooked borsch today, a dinner staple in my home country -

gallery_34224_2175_200760.jpg

Alinka, all of your food looks fabulous, but that borscht is calling to me.

Dinner tonight was teriyaki pork, pineapple and onion skewers, . . .

Kim, those skewers sound really good.

Our 4th of July dinner and fireworks was spent with some old friends. They did burgers, dogs, baked beans and slaw. I contributed a shrimp, crab and artichoke dip, macaroni and cheese and a wonderful new cake.

The dip:

gallery_3331_114_214795.jpg

The mac and cheese:

gallery_3331_114_56089.jpg

Lemon poppy seed/strawberry cake w/ white chocolate whipped cream:

gallery_3331_119_177200.jpg

with the husband out of town i can experiment. found this in a local shop a while ago

gallery_403_6649_11118.jpg

made it with some chicken, scallions, peas and carrots. loved the balance of the curry paste and it was so good i'm afraid i licked the bowl clean :unsure:

gallery_403_6649_33160.jpg

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

For the Fourth -- Apple-walnut turnovers with blue cheese and thyme for breakfast, followed by a midafternoon grilled repast of burgers, brats, grilled Italian sausage, corn on the cob, grilled; potato salad; baked beans, sesame-ginger cole slaw and a Southern favorite, barbecued bologna!

And if I could figure out how to post photos, I would....is there a tutorial?

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

wonder of wonders, johnnybird actually got home at a reasonable time yesterday. dinner was lobster roll - the tail meat heated in a little butter then into a toasted hot dog roll, blue cheese coleslaw and a new york strip i did in a pan.

dessert was inspired by the fresh raspberries i found at the farmers market - red and black ones. raspberry cobbler... with a piece for lunch today along with some vanilla ice cream

gallery_403_6649_6116.jpg

gallery_403_6649_30953.jpg

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Another week, another big steak on the grill! This one was a single wing rib from a Welsh Black hung for 6 weeks. A little more medium than i consider ideal (in deference to guests) but amazing flavour and tenderness all the same. Had it with a stilton and shallot sauce, potato salad, coleslaw and sweetcorn:

gallery_52657_5922_210391.jpg

gallery_52657_5922_331302.jpg

And if I could figure out how to post photos, I would....is there a tutorial?

Yes, there is. Go to the home page and look for technical assistance.

It's the category under Regional Cuisine. There is a great detailed tutorial with illustrations.

Rhonda

Chile-rubbed grilled chicken legs, squash blossom rice, and some tomato avocado salad hiding in the back.

gallery_58047_5582_27630.jpg

The squash blossom rice looks lovely. I have some in my garden, and would like to give it a try. Would you mind posting some details?

Corinna Heinz, aka Corinna

Check out my adventures, culinary and otherwise at http://corinnawith2ns.blogspot.com/

Duck with gooseberry chutney.  Served with sauteed beet greens topped with goat cheese and roasted beets

Pretty dish, well done. What was the acid in it to cut through the duck fat? How did the dish taste?

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Hello Everyone, tonight we are having a small rack of Scottish Lamb with a celeriac and cauliflower mash, steamed baby spinach and french beans.

Trying to be a good little low-carber :smile:

The squash blossom rice looks lovely. I have some in my garden, and would like to give it a try. Would you mind posting some details?

Corinna, the rice was very simple. Done in a rice cooker with chicken stock as the liquid and some sauteed onion added. The squash blossoms were added at the end when you fluff the rice.

Food Blog: Menu In Progress

Corinna, the rice was very simple. Done in a rice cooker with chicken stock as the liquid and some sauteed onion added. The squash blossoms were added at the end when you fluff the rice.

Thanks for giving me such a great idea.

PS Your gazpacho looks divine yet. I can't wait until my tomatoes are ready! :)

Corinna Heinz, aka Corinna

Check out my adventures, culinary and otherwise at http://corinnawith2ns.blogspot.com/

Duck with gooseberry chutney.  Served with sauteed beet greens topped with goat cheese and roasted beets

Pretty dish, well done. What was the acid in it to cut through the duck fat? How did the dish taste?

Thannks! The acid was a fairly large amount of cider vinegar. I thought the recipe called for way too much, but it worked and gave the chutney a very nice tang. I also added a hefty dose of dry sherry. The chutney itself was great and not at all too sweet; some chopped rosemary helped to make it more savory.