• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2009

Shelby

menuinprogress – gorgeous lamb :wub: !!

Dinner tonight was a dry aged rib eye from Whole Foods w/ Gorgonzola sauce, Jacques Pepin’s Gnocchi Parisienne, salad and a whole wheat baguette that I made earlier today:

med_gallery_3331_114_208570.jpg

gallery_3331_114_13588.jpg

gallery_3331_114_11069.jpg

gallery_3331_114_219184.jpg

med_gallery_3331_119_43604.jpg

The steak was the best steak I have ever made and one of the best we’ve ever tasted. I seared it in a pan and roasted it at 400 degrees in the oven to 125 degrees and after it sat, it was a perfect medium-rare! I was so happy with this dinner! The sauce is just a pan sauce with port and Gorgonzola. It was delectable! Also, the steak was much redder than it looks in the picture. It really was medium-rare, though it looks medium in that shot.

Dinner tonight was a dry aged rib eye from Whole Foods w/ Gorgonzola sauce, Jacques Pepin’s Gnocchi Parisienne, salad and a whole wheat baguette that I made earlier today:

That all looks delicious. The whole wheat baguette especially. The uniformity of colouring on that steak almost looks like a sous vide product :biggrin:

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Posting some of the meals that I had lately...

I bought a boxfull of mushrooms and made omelets, fritatas, stir-frys and with a burst of inspiration - made adobo with them plus first eggs (eggs laid by hens for the first time). Edited to add the mini tortas (I fix a bunch for my son's daily boxed lunch)

gallery_48583_5441_105612.jpg

And with veggie scraps that I scrounged from the fridge, I made Shanghai Fried Rice with the canned ham that hubby bought.

gallery_48583_5441_27596.jpg

Edited by Domestic Goddess (log)

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

I've spent a long, long time lurking. After all the inspiration you all have given me, it's time to pay back.

I had some leftover Jerk chicken (smoked over pimento wood charcoal). I tossed it with some orecchiette, topping it with a poached egg.

gallery_35269_6655_6088.jpg

The gratuitous yolk shot.

gallery_35269_6655_5702.jpg

--Michael

Michael

Our Local Table

I've spent a long, long time lurking. . . .

Michael, welcome to Dinner! I hope you will be a regular guest here.

. . . I had some leftover Jerk chicken (smoked over pimento wood charcoal).

I would love to hear about your pimento-smoked jerk chicken. Of course the perfect place to share you jerk chicken tips would be the Jerk Cook-Off (clickety).

Chapli kebabs: ground lamb with onion, garlic, ginger, chiles, cilantro, coriander, and cumin. Grilled and served on potato rolls with Sriracha and leftover cabbage koshumbir.

Grilled zucchini salad: grilled zucchini strips tossed with mint, parsley, garlic, cumin, paprika, white pepper, and lemon juice. Good and easy.

gallery_42956_2536_53759.jpg

Lunch/dinner yesterday for Mr. Kim was leftover steak on toasted some slices of toasted WW baguette topped with Gorgonzola sauce, chips and jalapeno pickles:

gallery_3331_114_245746.jpg

I had tuna salad on the baguette slices, chips and sweet dills:

gallery_3331_114_66632.jpg

Dessert was these delicious banana chocolate chip muffins that meredith h. made:

gallery_3331_114_50803.jpg

over the weekend a mustard crusted pork loin, thinly sliced sauteed zucchini and homemade baked beans.

gallery_403_6649_41659.jpg

accompanied by an old vine zin from Westfall winery here in New Jersey

gallery_403_6649_4211.jpg

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Eberly Chicks seasoned w/smoked paprika and rosemary

gallery_39170_6229_87162.jpg

gallery_39170_6229_413912.jpg

That's what we also had for dinner tonight. Ours was stuffed with oregano from the garden with garlic cloves placed under the skin. Roasted potatoes, mushrooms, and greens on the side. Seemed more like a winter meal, but then again, it hasn't really seemed like summer here.

I like cows, too. I hold buns against them. -- Bucky Cat.

MiFi – summer, indeed!! And was I the only one who read “Eberly Chicks” as “Elderly Chicks”? :laugh:

Dinner tonight was another recipe from The American Diabetes Association’s Family Cookbook Volume II: Summer Night Salad with Parmesan mac and cheese and garlic bread made from some of the whole wheat baguette that I made on the weekend:

gallery_3331_114_63472.jpg

All three of us LOVED the pasta. It was sharp and creamy and really, really satisfying! Only Mr. Kim liked the salad, though. Jessica and I really did NOT. It has broccoli, cauliflower, yellow squash, zucchini, hard boiled eggs, cheese and ham in a mayo/vinegar/sugar dressing. I don’t care for squash or zucchini, but my real problem with it was that the vegetables were steamed – only for 5 minutes, but I think it would have been better with them raw. I might have even liked the squash that way.

Here's a seafood feast that I cooked last night for two of my mates. It was a belated birthday meal for them both so I had a good excuse to splash out on some great produce at the market yesterday morning:

gallery_52657_5922_359302.jpg

I bought lobsters, razor clams and a small turbot. Though I have admit the King Crab claws from Costco I had in the freezer already. Now, with these magnificent ingredients what would you do? I had all day to think about it at work and I almost convinced myself to do an East meets West type affair; maybe lobster thermidor or just grilled with butter? clams in white wine sauce or spicy coconut? roasted or steamed turbot? maybe I could defrost some prawns and make something really hot... In the end I decided to go with what I know best and did a pure Cantonese seafood feast. It was definitely a case of "If it ain't broke..."!

The king crab was first up, just simply steamed and served with ginger-scallion-coriander oil and chilli soy:

gallery_52657_5922_228285.jpg

The crab set up the meal nicely and as it required little effort it gave me time to prepare the lobsters for the next course. It's lucky that my guests aren't squeemish, as we were all eating in the kitchen, they got to see me dispatch them. Chopped up, coated in cornstarch, deep-fried then stir-fried with lots of ginger, scallion, garlic. The sauce was made with a Shanton-esque stock and thickened with the mashed up lobster tomalley & roe and turbot liver! This was served on a bed of soft noodles that soaked up all of the luscious sauce flecked with brilliantly red lobster eggs:

gallery_52657_5922_105750.jpg

Then the final course was steamed turbot with scallion & ginger and steamed razor clams with black bean sauce. The razors I'd prepared earlier buy cutting them open, excising the crap out and smothering them with some powerful black bean sauce. I steamed the fish first for 12.5mins then the clams for 3 mins whilst I stir-fried some Choi Sum donated from my mum's garden. This course was served with a little rice:

gallery_52657_5922_219767.jpg

I was glad I stuck to my Cantonese roots as the meal was a great success, my buddies were bowled over. In fact I think it could be one of the best meals I've ever cooked, it does show to stick with what you know.

Prawn, I might just drop by for your next seafood extravaganza. :smile:

Quickish Indian dinner tonight. We cooked pilaf-style turmeric rice, frying basmati rice in oil scented with cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaf, and garlic. When the rice finished steaming we garnished with chopped chives. Eternal cucumbers, of course.

For the keema we brown-fried onion with ginger and garlic; added cayenne, cumin, coriander, and turmeric; stirred in tomato and yogurt over high heat; and then mixed in ground lamb and garam masala. After the meat changed color we added water, simmered for a half hour, and then finished the keema with peas, lemon juice, and minced chiles, adding chopped cilantro leaves after the boys had taken their share.

Keema matar and turmeric rice

gallery_42956_2536_33291.jpg

Quail egg raviolis. My husband would cook two at a time, and we would eat them as each one came out of the frying pan (finished off with butter and nutmeg) standing by the stove. Not the healthiest dinner, but it was delicious.

I like cows, too. I hold buns against them. -- Bucky Cat.

Two nights ago, tarragon chicken.

Last night, fettucini carbonara with green peas and homemade pancetta.

Tonight, branzini stuffed with oil cured olives, capers, oregano and fennel seed under the broiler, a simple green salad, and a homemade sourdough boule.

No photos on this post, but maybe I'll start leaving a camera set up on a tripod in the kitchen for such opportunities.

Edited by David A. Goldfarb (log)

Working on a dinner party for Sunday, so I kept it simple tonight--

Frozen Chinese chicken-vegetable-black mushroom dumplings, panfried, and served with a dipping sauce and stir fried baby bok choy.

Tomorrow will probably be something similar. I'm trying to conserve fridge space.

Last night I planned on grilling a sweet pizza for the "Grilled Pizza Cook-off" topic here . My plan was to use the coals for also grilling a ribeye steak and some vegetables.

Unfortunately, we had serious thunder and lightning storms in the area so I didn't want to risk my safety--let alone risk the fire being snuffed out by rain--so I did my grilled steak dinner in the kitchen.

I use a cast iron grill pan over medium-high heat for grilling indoors. I seasoned the ribeye with black pepper, chipotle chili powder and a dash of salt. Then seared it for a couple of minutes on each side before finishing the steak in a 500 oven for a couple of minutes.

I served the ribeye with a grilled vegetable salad of yellow and green zucchini and eggplant. I dressed the vegetables with olive oil, lemon juice, a touch of apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper, dried oregano and fresh chives. The sauce on the plate are a combination of the salad dressing and steak pan juices.

Grilled Steak and Vegetable Salad-

gallery_41580_4407_52544.jpg

ooh could you post the recipes- they look amazing!

The recipe we used for the tofu was "Pock-Marked Mother Chen's Bean Curd" from Fuchsia Dunlop's "Land of Plenty". This version online is almost identical to the recipe in the book.

For the buns, we used a recipe from SheSimmers.

thanks!

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

Dinner tonight was another recipe from The American Diabetes Association’s Family Cookbook Volume II: Summer Night Salad with Parmesan mac and cheese and garlic bread made from some of the whole wheat baguette that I made on the weekend:

gallery_3331_114_63472.jpg

All three of us LOVED the  pasta.  It was sharp and creamy and really, really satisfying! 

Kim,

Will you be posting the Parmesan mac and cheese recipe in your cookbook? It sounds like it would be perfect addition to a ham dinner for a group of Habitat for Humanity volunteers that is scheduled for July 4th weekend.

Thanks,

Kay