• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2009

Shelby

Bruce – the fish in coconut milk looks so lovely and silky!

Soba – the gnocchi is fantastic looking! I’ve never made traditional gnocchi – only the Jacques Pépin Gnocchi Parisienne, but I’d really like to try Ricotta!

Ann – gorgeous prawns <sigh>

I finally have a chance to post my Mother’s Day dinner. It was mostly a salad/sandwich meal with desserts. A friend contributed her wonderful quiches – one was ham and the other sausage:

gallery_3331_209_49185.jpg

Rachel’s “Paminna” Cheese:

med_gallery_3331_209_117940.jpg

Rachel’s Chicken Salad:

gallery_3331_209_67425.jpg

My new standard for chicken salad – it really is the best I’ve ever tasted.

Egg Salad:

gallery_3331_209_189117.jpg

Oddly enough, this seemed to be everyone’s favorite thing on the table. I have to thank eG for that, I think! When I was searching for ways to fix my wet, watery egg salad I got a LOT of help here!

Cold Cuts & Cheese:

med_gallery_3331_209_172953.jpg

Arranged beautifully by my daughter.

eG’s Doddie’s Ham and Crab Salad:

gallery_3331_209_398.jpg

This has been a favorite of ours for awhile now. Doddie makes it with surimi, which I like quite well. It’s not really crabmeat and I don’t expect it to taste like crab, but it’s a nice, firm, mild fish that I like in a lot of things. But Americans are funny about it, so I made this one with blue crab. It was delicious and very popular.

Assorted breads and Petit Croissants:

med_gallery_3331_209_48288.jpg

My mother’s vegetable soup:

gallery_3331_209_100981.jpg

This usually has shredded cabbage and some kind of pasta in it, but some people (especially KIDS) are funny about cabbage and we have a niece who has to have gluten free now so I left those out. Missed them, too.

Apple/Manchego Salad w/ Marcona almonds:

gallery_3331_209_176926.jpg

Chinese Salad with ramen noodle/sesame/almond crunchies:

gallery_3331_209_134389.jpg

Rachel’s son’s Sweet Piggies:

gallery_3331_209_6822.jpg

I showed these on the thread about my trip to Rachel’s and they disappeared, just like at Rachel’s :biggrin: .

Dessert table:

gallery_3331_209_87328.jpg

The same friend who makes the quiches also makes a famous and awesome almond pound cake. That’s the cake on the right.

Jumbo Cupcakes:

Martha Stewart’s Gluten Free Chocolate w/ 7 Minute Frosting:

med_gallery_3331_209_187020.jpg

this was very good – a tiny bit tougher than regular cake, but the flavor was wonderful – our niece was very happy and took home all the leftovers!!

Coconut:

med_gallery_3331_209_73443.jpg

not my regular – I did a shortcut with a mix, but it was very good.

White Cake w/ Pink Fluffy Frosting and Polka Dots:

med_gallery_3331_209_253938.jpg

the polka dots were sour fruit slice candies, rolled out and punched out into circles – really a cute cake

The combination of using my new 600 KA mixer and the jumbo cupcake pan caused 2 of the cakes to fall slightly – they tasted fine, but I need a little more practice with both.

we were down the shore for 10 days and was able to smoke a butt on the new grills. leftovers came home with us and for dinner back home red beans, rice and pulled pork

gallery_403_5923_3226.jpg

last night for our anniversary some beefy stuffed shells

gallery_403_5923_38056.jpg

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Ann_T: That is the most beautiful picture of a steak I have ever seen. That is the ur-steak.

Our dinner, courtesy of Marcella: pan-roasted chicken with rosemary, garlic, and white wine; spaghetti with onion-and-butter tomato sauce (yeah, us and everyone else); and Mrs. C’s roasted asparagus. The asparagus, from the first farmer’s market of the season, was completely delicious just eaten raw.

I forked two wheelbarrow loads of compost into the vegetable garden and planted tomatoes, chiles, and three kinds of basil (also from the farmer’s market). If those plants don’t grow, it will be their own dang fault (or maybe mine, if I forget to water). Da boyz shoveled the crumbly black compost out of the bin, accompanied by considerable bickering, drama, and contrition.

gallery_42956_2536_3494.jpg

Ann – that steak is just amazing looking and the photography is just as good! I am sitting here still full from lamb burgers that we had out tonight, not to mention a couple of cookies and I want just ONE BITE of that steak!

Bruce – I’ll take one fork swirl of the spaghetti with my bite of Ann’s steak!!

Dinner last night was salad, hamburgers w/ pimento cheese, roasted potatoes and Silver Queen corn (I found this frozen at The Fresh Market – it was the best frozen corn I’ve ever had and better than lots of ‘fresh’ corn I’ve had):

med_gallery_3331_114_83254.jpg

Here I haven't cooked in ages and I'm following myself tonight!!

Dinner tonight was fish and chips, corn pudding, slaw and hush puppies.

I made key lime mayonnaise:

med_gallery_3331_114_123409.jpg

So that I could make this:

gallery_3331_114_111377.jpg

Tartar sauce – I just played with it - worchestershire pepper, tarragon, parsley, grated onion, dijon, sweet relish, dill pickles, salt. It was really good!

Fish:

gallery_3331_114_11193.jpg

I used my regular CI recipe, but subbed rice flour for AP and it was so incredibly crispy. I'm a convert!

Chips:

gallery_3331_114_43863.jpg

Corn pudding and slaw:

gallery_3331_114_90964.jpg

Hush puppies:

gallery_3331_114_50783.jpg

These were so disappointing! Unbelievably dry. I like a really moist, oniony hush puppy. Does anyone have a good recipe??

Edited by Kim Shook (log)

gallery_1890_1967_37362.jpg

Brodetto di pesce, topped with anchovy-garlic croutons

This version uses 2 cups Belgian light beer in place of white wine. There's cod from Blue Moon Fish at USGM, likely caught this past Friday. That's as fresh as it gets. Also some shrimp and squid, but those were from Citarella.

Hush puppies:

gallery_3331_114_50783.jpg

These were so disappointing!  Unbelievably dry.  I like a really moist, oniony hush puppy.  Does anyone have a good recipe??

Kim, check out this topic on Hush Puppies. I do know that Malawry, who posted, is well-known among folks from a Pig Pickin' for her hush puppies!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Hush puppies:

These were so disappointing!  Unbelievably dry.  I like a really moist, oniony hush puppy.  Does anyone have a good recipe??

Kim, check out this topic on Hush Puppies. I do know that Malawry, who posted, is well-known among folks from a Pig Pickin' for her hush puppies!

Thanks, Susan! I am trying again tonight and will look at that thread!

Made some Kalbi (Korean BBQ ribs) the other night. Was given some tips on how to make the meat super tender and for extra flavoring in the marinade. I must say it was the best I've had.

Bag of ribs in marinade

gallery_22252_4789_225990.jpg

Grilling on super hot grill with added oil for extra flamage.

gallery_22252_4789_147622.jpg

When all done.

gallery_22252_4789_44803.jpg

I started eating the meat this way then gave it up to eat it off the bone. Much better that way I thought. :biggrin:

gallery_22252_4789_155681.jpg

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

Octaveman, those ribs look great.

Kim, I could go for some of that fish right now as a late-night snack. I'm curious to try the key lime tartar sauce.

Dinner tonight was fried soft-shell crab sandwiches:

gallery_60841_6526_57870.jpg

Made a quick salad for Sunday afternoon - chopped romaine, cucumber, hard-boiled egg, and a strawberry balsamic vinaigrette:

gallery_60841_6526_12410.jpg

Octaveman, those ribs look great.

Kim, I could go for some of that fish right now as a late-night snack.  I'm curious to try the key lime tartar sauce.

Dinner tonight was fried soft-shell crab sandwiches:

gallery_60841_6526_57870.jpg

Made a quick salad for Sunday afternoon - chopped romaine, cucumber, hard-boiled egg, and a strawberry balsamic vinaigrette:

gallery_60841_6526_12410.jpg

Nate - Here's the recipe for the tartar sauce and I will trade any amount of fish to you for a soft shell - my VERY favorite way to eat crabs! And that salad is pretty gorgeous, too. Crabs and strawberries - add a couple of ears of Silver Queen corn and you have the perfect summer supper!

Gorgeous food everyone!

Kim, I wish I was there to eat some of that yummy looking food. I love your array of salads!

Yesterday I made some homemade pasta and bolognese sauce. It was my first time ever using cream in my sauce---it really made it good! For sides I made cream braised brussel sprouts and roasted eggplant and tomatoes.

gallery_54689_4781_35254.jpg

gallery_54689_4781_6646.jpg

gallery_54689_4781_106508.jpg

gallery_54689_4781_94673.jpg

Great looking food all

Shelby - quick Q - fantastic looking home made pasta, but I am curious, do you not cook your pasta in the sauce b4 plating?

My pasta is cooked in salted water. I don't mix all of the sauce in...I place it on top of each individual serving.

I made the Belgian Chicken Soup/Stew - Waterzooi - for dinner yesterday, and there were plenty of leftovers for today. I used Julia Child's recipe as a basis, but adapted it quite a bit. Very delighted with the final result and will definitely cook it again!

gallery_43137_2974_40626.jpg

For pud yesterday - a coconut and rhubarb tart; today - rhubarb fruit soup with whipped cream. Mmmm...

Gorgeous food everyone! 

Kim, I wish I was there to eat some of that yummy looking food.  I love your array of salads! 

Yesterday I made some homemade pasta and bolognese sauce.  It was my first time ever using cream in my sauce---it really made it good!  For sides I made cream braised brussel sprouts and roasted eggplant and tomatoes.

gallery_54689_4781_35254.jpg

gallery_54689_4781_6646.jpg

gallery_54689_4781_106508.jpg

gallery_54689_4781_94673.jpg

Thanks, Shelby! That meal looks wonderful - I'm very jealous of your mad pasta skills. What really grabbed me was the brussels sprouts! They look amazing! Could you post a recipe?? I want them!!

Made some Kalbi (Korean BBQ ribs) the other night.  Was given some tips on how to make the meat super tender and for extra flavoring in the marinade.  I must say it was the best I've had.

Bag of ribs in marinade

gallery_22252_4789_225990.jpg

Grilling on super hot grill with added oil for extra flamage.

gallery_22252_4789_147622.jpg

When all done.

gallery_22252_4789_44803.jpg

I started eating the meat this way then gave it up to eat it off the bone.  Much better that way I thought.  :biggrin:

gallery_22252_4789_155681.jpg

If these are half as good as the mongolian beef stir fry recipe you gave me, I bet they are wonderful!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.