• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2009

Shelby

Percyn - That burger looks scrumptious!

We are eating our way through our first farmer's market hall of the year. Saturday & Sunday was grilled asparagus. Tonight was a fritatta, with farmer's market leeks, and using up leftover Easter ham and half 'n half. On the side, a salad with pickled beets and an Asian salad mix, both from the market and grated carrots from the store. I'm not sure what made the salad mix "Asian" but it was yummy. The pickled beets were great - not too sweet, and still firm, not mushy. I made up a dressing with a bit of OJ (also Easter leftover since I don't usually drink it), beet juice, white wine vinegar, olive oil, salt & pepper.

It has been a while since I've posted here. It is nice to come back and see so many familiar names.

Bruce your meals all look so good. What you cook has always appealed to me. I'd be happy with everyone of your meals.

Shelby, I haven't had frog legs in years. I love them. Yours look perfect.

Nate, I love your smoked meats. I can just imagine the flavour in those ribs.

Menuinprogess, your photos are amazing.

A couple of our meals from the weekend.

Saturday - Rack of Pork with Cracklins.

gallery_27944_2966_92910.jpg

gallery_27944_2966_136330.jpg

And Sunday - grilled beef tenderloin.

gallery_27944_2966_131230.jpg

tkassum - that is some good lookin' quiche!

Shelby & Percyn - those burgers are wonderful looking!

nickrey - how did that salmon taste? It looked gorgeous!

Ann - I'm so glad to 'see' you! That pork is lovely and I could hear the cracklin crunch from just the picture - beautiful!

Shelby - this is said with all my love and respect: is this weird week at your house? :raz::laugh:

Our daughter, Jessica, made dinner for us on Saturday:

gallery_3331_114_88890.jpg

Chicken enchiladas and chips. This is one of our favorites - really good!

Doddie, thank you for the bitter melon tips. I need to try cooking that again.

Ann_T: Beautiful, beautiful steak, and I can just imagine the cracklings on the pork. Thanks for the kind words, and we have missed your gorgeous meal photos.

Shelby: I now have a hankering for frog legs, which I haven’t eaten in *cough* years.

Tuesday with Marcella, leftovers tonight: rigatoni Bolognese; Venetian style smothered cabbage; and braised carrots with Parmesan cheese. I made dinner for the family and then left to pay volleyball, so no pictures. The carrots must have been popular because they were gone before I returned. :rolleyes:

I've had the Nobu Now cookbook for a while and decided to do a dish comprising grilled salmon, deep fried baby spinach leaves garnished with finely chopped spring onions and salmon roe. The sauce was a ponzu sauce with clarified butter. This photo shows the dish prior to applying the sauce.

dinner.jpg

Pretty, pretty, pretty! The leaves look so brilliant plus the salmon roe, like a bejewelled feast. I can imagine how wonderful it must have tasted with all the different textures.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

tkassum - that is some good lookin' quiche! 

Shelby & Percyn  - those burgers are wonderful looking!

nickrey - how did that salmon taste?  It looked gorgeous!

Ann - I'm so glad to 'see' you!  That pork is lovely and I could hear the cracklin crunch from just the picture - beautiful!

Shelby - this is said with all my love and respect: is this weird week at your house? :raz:  :laugh:

Our daughter, Jessica, made dinner for us on Saturday:

gallery_3331_114_88890.jpg

Chicken enchiladas and chips.  This is one of our favorites - really good!

I want enchiladas!

Yes ROFL it was weird week :laugh: That's what happens after I get to go to an Asian market.

Doddie, thank you for the bitter melon tips. I need to try cooking that again.

Ann_T: Beautiful, beautiful steak, and I can just imagine the cracklings on the pork. Thanks for the kind words, and we have missed your gorgeous meal photos.

Shelby: I now have a hankering for frog legs, which I haven’t eaten in *cough* years.

Tuesday with Marcella, leftovers tonight: rigatoni Bolognese; Venetian style smothered cabbage; and braised carrots with Parmesan cheese. I made dinner for the family and then left to pay volleyball, so no pictures. The carrots must have been popular because they were gone before I returned. :rolleyes:

Now I want Italian and enchiladas lol.

I'm sorry that I didn't get two packages of frog legs. They were SO good.

Bruce and Kim Thanks for the welcome back. Kim, chicken enchiladas are a favourite here too.

We had Mexican last night. Pork Carnitas with homemade corn tortillas. I roasted tomatoes to make a salsa, and cooked up a pot of pinto beans to serve on the side. Leftover pork and beans will end up in a layered dip for dinner tonight.

gallery_27944_2966_6989.jpg

gallery_27944_2966_13285.jpg

nickrey - how did that salmon taste?  It looked gorgeous!

The salmon was delicious. The spinach is quite light and crunchy after deep frying.

As my daughter was up later in the week, I made the dish again. This time I peeled small sheets off the spring onions and cut the batons much finer than what is shown in the picture. It was then soaked in a mix of water and mirin, which led to it curling and making a more attractive garnish.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Ann - how much I've missed you and your delicious looking meals and the remarkable light that you get up there! Those carnitas and tortillas are just amazing looking! That's exactly what I want for lunch. Think there's any chance that Taco Bell has them :sad::laugh: ?

Dinner Tuesday night Korean BBQ beef done with skirt steak, ramen noodles and a salad – and the last of the Easter egg deviled eggs:

gallery_3331_114_167128.jpg

This recipe was recommended by percyn. He did it with skirt steak, too. We really, really liked this a lot. I had it again last night as a sandwich on a grilled sourdough bun with some cilantro and rice vinegar (talk about mixing your cultures, huh?). Thank you so much, percyn!

It's been forever since I posted... anyway, dinner tonight was simple, just a fillet of tilapia marinated in garlic oil, baked with a mango salsa:

gallery_57773_5502_60332.jpg

What a delicious photo-I'm hoping you do post more often. I must admit, I've never tried tilapia because I assumed it didn't have any flavor. But your dish has changed my mind. I'm going to have to try this one.

It's been forever since I posted... anyway, dinner tonight was simple, just a fillet of tilapia marinated in garlic oil, baked with a mango salsa:

gallery_57773_5502_60332.jpg

What a delicious photo-I'm hoping you do post more often. I must admit, I've never tried tilapia because I assumed it didn't have any flavor. But your dish has changed my mind. I'm going to have to try this one.

David, tilapia does not have a lot of flavor, it's not 'fishy' at all, which is why I like it. Much like many oriental ingredients, it picks up other flavors around it, which is why it needs a good sauce, salsa, or other flavors to keep it company, but it is good!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

All the meals look delicious!

Ann you've been missed - SO happy you're back! Your pork roast looks particularly delicious, with that fat-cap. Where on the island did you get it? I'm over there once in a while, so would like to purchase some superior pork if I can. I'm pretty certain it didn't come from a regular supermarket.

It has been a while since I've posted here.  It is nice to come back and see so many familiar names.

Bruce your meals all look so good.  What you cook has always appealed to me. I'd be happy with everyone of your meals.

Shelby, I haven't had frog legs in years.  I love them. Yours look perfect. 

Nate, I love your smoked meats.  I can just imagine the flavour in those ribs.

Menuinprogess, your photos are amazing.

A couple of our meals from the weekend. 

Saturday  - Rack of Pork with Cracklins.

gallery_27944_2966_92910.jpg

gallery_27944_2966_136330.jpg

And  Sunday - grilled beef tenderloin.

gallery_27944_2966_131230.jpg

Ann, I can virtually SMELL that pork, all alight with garlic, I hope! Those cracklins tempt me beyond words... (drool)

Ann you've been missed - SO happy you're back!  Your pork roast looks particularly delicious, with that  fat-cap.  Where on the island did you get it?  I'm over there once in a while, so would like to purchase some superior pork if I can.  I'm pretty certain it didn't come from a regular supermarket.

Thanks Jay. You are right. The pork came from a butcher located just south of downtown Duncan. The Cowichan Valley Meat Market. ( 5191 Koksilah Frontage Road) Owned by the Quist family. They raise, butcher and sell their own meats. When we lived in Vancouver, I use to stock up on their pork and beef whenever we visited the Island.

Judiu Is there anything better than cracklins?

I normally don't like leftovers. But I deliberately made extra the other night so we could have this layered dip for dinner last night.

Beans, pork, cheese, sour cream, salsa, guacamole, tomatoes, onions and black olives. Fried flour tortillas for the chips.

gallery_27944_2966_144631.jpg

Ann you've been missed - SO happy you're back!  Your pork roast looks particularly delicious, with that  fat-cap.  Where on the island did you get it?  I'm over there once in a while, so would like to purchase some superior pork if I can.  I'm pretty certain it didn't come from a regular supermarket.

Thanks Jay. You are right. The pork came from a butcher located just south of downtown Duncan. The Cowichan Valley Meat Market. ( 5191 Koksilah Frontage Road) Owned by the Quist family. They raise, butcher and sell their own meats. When we lived in Vancouver, I use to stock up on their pork and beef whenever we visited the Island.

Judiu Is there anything better than cracklins?

I normally don't like leftovers. But I deliberately made extra the other night so we could have this layered dip for dinner last night.

Beans, pork, cheese, sour cream, salsa, guacamole, tomatoes, onions and black olives. Fried flour tortillas for the chips.

gallery_27944_2966_144631.jpg

Ann_T, not a whole lot that I can think of, unless it's chocolate or ripe raspberries (or both). Then again, wasn't there a thread about chocolate covered bacon at one point? And I do love to drag my sliced, crisp bacon thru the jam on my toast... :laugh: