• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2009

Shelby

Shelby – no apologies! I am impressed by the sushi – I couldn’t manage that nearly as well!

Dinner tonight was boneless chicken breasts done in the Panini maker. They were marinated with bottled Caesar dressing and brushed with Montgomery Inn BBQ sauce. We are trying to be a bit healthier – Mr. Kim and I both want to lose some weight and have diabetes/cholesterol/blood pressure concerns. They were a bit dull. But the method was really quick and easy. I’d like to try this with boneless thighs:

gallery_34972_3580_157324.jpg

Dessert was much better:

gallery_34972_3580_116365.jpg

Strawberries with double Devon cream and demera sugar. We shared :raz: !

Shelby your sushi looks fine :) I can't even vinegar the rice properly (they keep telling me I have to do it evenly haha).

Kim: I hear you about needing to lose some weight although I don't have the self controllll.

Ok don't even ask me how old this photo is...'twas a lovely meal though.

Cantonese-style congee served with chicken feet (yum) in black bean sauce and pickled daikon radish. Absolutely delightful.

2089004690_d7601da7a4_o.jpg

Edit: Forgot to mention the yau ja gwai (Chinese fried dough sticks) doh.

Oh yes, and the congee had pork and century egg in it.

Edited by Ce'nedra (log)

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

menuinprogress, that’s beautiful!

Madras fish curry: the sauce contained grated coconut, ginger, garlic, tomatoes, and brown-fried onions, soured with tamarind, thickened with ground poppy seeds, and spiced with curry leaves, mustard seeds, coriander, turmeric, fenugreek, cumin, and (mild for the young ‘uns) chile powder.

Red chutney with grated coconut, dates, ginger, garlic, onion, cilantro, chile, and lime juice. After reading the list of ingredients, I had a hard time picturing how this would taste but it turned out nicely.

Served with leftover rice and an assortment of vegetables – eternal cucumbers, avocado, and cherry tomatoes. First time cooking from 50 Great Curries of India, but it won’t be the last.

gallery_42956_2536_56734.jpg

Madras fish curry: the sauce contained grated coconut, ginger, garlic, tomatoes, and brown-fried onions, soured with tamarind, thickened with ground poppy seeds, and spiced with curry leaves, mustard seeds, coriander, turmeric, fenugreek, cumin, and (mild for the young ‘uns) chile powder.

Red chutney with grated coconut, dates, ginger, garlic, onion, cilantro, chile, and lime juice. After reading the list of ingredients, I had a hard time picturing how this would taste but it turned out nicely.

I have been holding onto white poppy seeds from the Indian market for such an application- did you use the white ones? As to the dates in the chutney- I am curious as to how that heavy sweetness was countered by mere lime? Sounds interesting.

I have been holding onto white poppy seeds from the Indian market for such an application- did you use the white ones?

Yes, white poppy seeds. They give sauces a nice, nutty flavor.

As to the dates in the chutney- I am curious as to how that heavy sweetness was countered by mere lime? Sounds interesting.

With only six dates in a generous cup of sauce, the chutney’s sweetness was not overwhelming. Anyway, chutneys are typically strongly flavored and used in small amounts, like a salsa. Next time, though, I’m adding more chiles.

Knaw – that coq au vin is just gorgeous! So dark and rich looking!

Percy – that Korean bbq looks so good. What is in the marinade/sauce?? We love skirt steak (I actually have some in freezer right now) and I know we’d love that!

I spent the weekend in NC with my parents and Mr. Kim had dinner for me when I got home tonight. He made a really good Bibb salad with apples, Purple Haze goat cheese, bacon and the tomato, sweet/sour dressing that we get from a local deli. The main course was Pork Chops with Cranberry-Thyme Pan sauce and some nice little new potatoes steamed and sautéed in bacon grease. Jessica made her Dirty Corn – corn fried in bacon grease with bacon, pepper and salt. It was all delicious and very, very welcome!

gallery_34972_3580_97129.jpg

gallery_34972_3580_139969.jpg

gallery_34972_3580_213486.jpg

Kim Shook, I have probably mentioned this before, but the salads at your house always sound so good. Kudos to Mr. Kim!

Lamb keema, gingery cauliflower and potato soup, and turmeric rice. Mrs. C mashed up the soup (rather than pureeing), leaving a nice variety of textures.

gallery_42956_2536_34047.jpg

Bruce - I love the idea of the soup - from a recipe, or improvised? And now I'm craving keema...

mip, thanks! We adapted Madhur Jaffrey’s recipe for gingery cauliflower soup (click), leaving out the heavy cream. If you make the soup without cream you may wish to reduce the ginger a little. Or not, depending how much you like ginger. :smile:

Finally have some time to cook in my new house so here are some simple dishes that have helped to ease myself into back into the kitchen... hopefully lots more good stuff to come!

First is Welsh Black / Hereford cross Sirloin, matured for six weeks (i know you steak freaks like details), simply griddled with Pink Fir Apple wedges and Brocolli:

gallery_52657_5922_32255.jpg

gallery_52657_5922_2172.jpg

And some Linguine with Clams, incidentally i used some "Santo Domingo" Pimenton De La Vera for this dish. This particular brand has a bittersweet taste, only mildly smokey which is perfect for seafood:

gallery_52657_5922_192311.jpg

Percy – that Korean bbq looks so good.  What is in the marinade/sauce??  We love skirt steak (I actually have some in freezer right now) and I know we’d love that!

Kim, I followed the Epicurean recipe here....pretty easy.

BTW, That salad looks delicious.

Bruce, what recipe did you use for lamb kheema?

Prawn - Great looking steak and linguine from your new kitchen.

Bruce, what recipe did you use for lamb kheema?

PercyN, we adapted Madhur Jaffrey’s “ground chicken or turkey with peas” (murghi ka keema), substituting ground lamb and increasing the spices and lemon juice. My long-time favorite, though, is sookha keema from Julie Sahni’s Classic Indian Cooking. Actually her safaid keema is quite nice, too. Dang, now I’m hungry for keema again. :rolleyes:

When life gives you heads of purple cabbage... make Molly Stevens' Red Cabbage with Maple & Ginger. Boy, was that good. We served it with leftover chicken breasts stuffed with goat cheese, figs, and Marsala and soft polenta. It wasn't a perfect match, but I did not want the cabbage to go to waste. (I had the heads for a while.) I look forward to serving the cabbage with schnitzel. I bet Spaetzle would go great with that, too. YUM!!!

By the way, I tried to put this on the Braising With Molly thread but could not find it anywhere. I used the "Site Search" typing in everything that I could think of to bring up that thread, but I was not successful. Any tips, please. How can I find that site? What is the best way to use the site search? This is not the first time that I could not find something.

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes

Thanks for the kind comments on Mr. Kim and Jessica's dinner - they were tickled that you all responded!

Prawn - enjoy your new kitchen! Looks like it is producing very well - I especially love the linguini and clams!

Percy - thank you for the link for the Korean beef - I think I have every single thing needed at home right now.

My cooking has been really boring lately. I am doing a dinner party on Sunday and I think that I've been concentrating on that instead of daily stuff!

Dinner Tuesday night was cheeseburgers on focaccia, broccoli and salad:

gallery_34972_3580_182276.jpg

Last night was a very lazy one – eggs on toast, hash browns (frozen) and NC sausage:

gallery_34972_3580_11141.jpg

Dessert was one of these:

gallery_34972_2532_83862.jpg

Carrot Cake Cupcakes I made for a birthday at work today.

Yep, KeystoneNate. That's the one. Thanks! Never thought to try Google to get to an eGullet site. I'll try that in the future.

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes