• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2009

Shelby

This is actually from a few days ago. I love the subtle, clean taste of this noodle soup (hu tieu). Anyone know what these eggs are actually called?

They're obviously not yet developed enough to be laid. The texture is fabulous! We often have this noodle soup with quail eggs but those are sooo expensive and these are a really good alternative.

I think they're called "unborn eggs". I love them.

The human mouth is called a pie hole. The human being is called a couch potato... They drive the food, they wear the food... That keeps the food hot, that keeps the food cold. That is the altar where they worship the food, that's what they eat when they've eaten too much food, that gets rid of the guilt triggered by eating more food. Food, food, food... Over the Hedge

Prawn – good luck on the move (I know we’d all love to see pictures of the new kitchen!) and I am in awe of your middle of packing meals.  My family would be lucky to get delivery if I were in the middle of that!

Thanks Kim. Tonight really was the last meal cooked in this kitchen. Something quick and easy - only two pans! Duck leg confit, warm potato & green bean salad, lots of salsa verde:

gallery_52657_5922_177156.jpg

I'm going to miss my super compact kitchen. Everything was only one step away from everything else. Step to right was the fridge, step to the left was the sink. In the middle was the cooker. Having such little room means i've developed a really organised cooking method. It'll be strange not to have to clean & tidy after every stage. Though to have enough room to make fresh pasta in my bigger kitchen is definitely something to look forward to.

Edited by Prawncrackers (log)

Beautiful pictures, as usual - from Ce'nedra's noodle soup, to suzi's meatballs and green beans. I like green beans, but I've never had a craving for them until I saw that picture with the hollandaise. Prawncrackers, the confit looks fantastic! I made duck confit for the first time last year and it immediately became the dish my wife looks forward to the most.

I don't find whole fish at my usual grocery store very often, but when they have some in stock, it's usually whole croakers. I picked up a couple over the weekend and broiled them with a soy, ginger, orange, and honey glaze - pretty much homemade teriyaki, I guess, with a little Sriracha for heat.

gallery_60841_6526_52181.jpg

Beautiful pictures, as usual - from Ce'nedra's noodle soup, to suzi's meatballs and green beans.  I like green beans, but I've never had a craving for them until I saw that picture with the hollandaise. 

thanks, nate. unfortunately johnnybird is NOT a vegetable eater and he wanted the hollandaise so, being a wonderful wife, i obliged. anything so he will eat them and work on gaining some weight. mine were just some olive oil and salt.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Some recent feeds:

Pork w/Sauce charcutière and roasted cauliflower

gallery_39170_6229_294993.jpg

Hangar steak w/Bordelaise sauce

gallery_39170_6229_349277.jpg

Parpadelle w/mushrooms and leeks

gallery_39170_6229_4721.jpg

Bulgur pilaf w/lamb, beets and tahini

gallery_39170_6229_550.jpg

Rustic bread

gallery_39170_6229_501423.jpg

Chicken thighs with chickpea curry and yogurt-harrisa sauce

gallery_39170_6229_29088.jpg

Broccoli soup

gallery_39170_6229_167695.jpg

Roast pork with polenta and green peppercorn sauce

gallery_39170_6229_153957.jpg

French onion soup

gallery_39170_6229_141988.jpg

Chicken sugar snap pea stir fry on quinoa

gallery_39170_6229_117338.jpg

St Patrick's Day means New England Boiled Dinner at our house in Maine USA.

gallery_16643_1028_45964.jpg

Flat-cut Brisket - simmered 3 hours,

Parsnip, Rutabaga, Carrot, Potato, Cabbage - added final 1/2 hour

Garnish (okay, smothered) with Sauce Albert - White sauce, horseradish, mustard, cream

I've never heard of that sauce before, but you can bet I'm going to be making some tonight to go with our corned beef. Thank you for sharing!

Ce'nedra – I just love your food! That shrimp/noodle soup is just lovely and so simple and elegant and FRESH looking!

Suzi – love the meatballs. I need to make some of those soon – before the hot weather comes.

Nate – beautiful fish!

MiFi – every single dish was lovely, but the standout was that succulent looking pork on the polenta. What a perfect combination.

Sunday night, we had Marlene’s Shepherd’s pie:

gallery_34972_3580_36532.jpg

gallery_34972_3580_137674.jpg

This was just delicious. Probably the best either of us has ever had. We both grew up with our mom’s versions, which were good, but salty. My mom made hers with Bisto and Mr. Kim’s mom made hers with Campbell’s tomato soup ( :blink: ). We actually had to add a little salt at the table, which I’ve never done before. The only change I’d make is to make a little side pot of gravy while I’m doing the pie. With leftovers (and there were lots of those), it gets a little dry.

My MIL sent dessert over:

gallery_34972_3580_180393.jpg

gallery_34972_3580_19265.jpg

It’s that lovely? It’s a rhubarb pie made with Splenda. I’d never had an all rhubarb pie and didn’t know if I’d like it. But it was good. Isn’t that crust gorgeous??? She is the past master at pie dough.

Some recent feeds:

Everything looks absolutely great but the "Bulgur pilaf with lamb, beets and tahini" really is something that I think we would like to try. Did you create this yourself or do you have a basic recipe you would be willing to reference?

Knowing where you live, (we lived in the same area for about 15 years), I know the Washington Post ran a "grains" column in the last few years. Wondered if that was the basis. When we moved "west" I really missed the WP Wednesday edition food section. Occasionally still find some of the articles on line.

Thanks, Kay

Edited by kayswv (log)

Some recent feeds:

Everything looks absolutely great but the "Bulgur pilaf with lamb, beets and tahini" really is something that I think we would like to try. Did you create this yourself or do you have a basic recipe you would be willing to reference?

Knowing where you live, (we lived in the same area for about 15 years), I know the Washington Post ran a "grains" column in the last few years. Wondered if that was the basis. When we moved "west" I really missed the WP Wednesday edition food section. Occasionally still find some of the articles on line.

Thanks, Kay

Kay - yep, the dish was adapted from a WP article on grains:

WP

The Tahini was my add, and I took liberty with spices. Great leftover dish as well!

St. Patrick's Day dinner!

Last night's dinner was corned beef (in a slow cooker...it was ready by the time I got home from work). I removed the meat from the cooker and moved the slow cooker pot to the stove to boil up some red bliss potatoes, carrots and a little bit of onion in the corned beef water. I didn't make the requisite cabbage because I had some roasted cauliflower from the previous night that I had to finish up. I saved some of the cooking water and will boil up the cabbage tonight to go along with the St. Paddy's Day leftovers. :wub:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I saw this post on the "Recipes That Rock: 2009" thread and decided to try it last night.  It really is fantastic - quick, simple, and full of bright flavors.

gallery_60841_6526_63908.jpg

After having a cup of yogurt and a piece of onion bread for supper (had a late afternoon lunch), this pic wants to make me cry. And swoon...

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

I looked for Marlene's recipe for Shepherd's Pie in Recipe Gullet and could not find it. Where have you folks found it?

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes

Some recent feeds:

Kay - yep, the dish was adapted from a WP article on grains:

WP

The Tahini was my add, and I took liberty with spices.  Great leftover dish as well!

MiFi, thanks a lot. Have added it to our menus for the week.

Kay

so the first day of spring here in nw nj and the snowflakes were drifting down all day. what better to eat than a warm cottage pie(johnnybird can't abide the smell or taste of little woolies meat so no shepherd's pie for us).

gallery_403_5923_48265.jpg

gallery_403_5923_28273.jpg

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Yeah, we also made Melissa Clark’s roasted shrimp and broccoli (clicky). The squeeze of lemon makes the flavors pop. This is a delightful weeknight meal – simple, healthy, and kid-friendly. Thanks for the recommendation, meredithla!

Accompanied by arroz blanco, guacamole, and lemon wedges, with a rye Manhattan for dessert.

gallery_42956_2536_9209.jpg

No pictures I'm afraid, I'm not that organised!

Night before last I made my first recipe from the French laundry book....nothing very exciting, just pasta dough but it came out brilliantly. What a fantastic recipe, the dough was so well behaved! I didn't need to flour my work surface when I kneaded the dough and, for once, nothing stuck to the pasta machine. What a bonus :biggrin: I served the pasta with a simple home made pesto (heavy on the pinenuts, I like them best). It was totally yum.

Last night youngest daughter was a bit miserable so I offered to make her eggs benedict. I then remembered I had no muffins, no ham and no lemons for the hollandaise...oh dear. Nothing daunted I found a solution.

Two diagonally cut slices from a baguette I had handy made the bases, then some really good smoked salmon on top. My chickens had kindly produced two very fresh eggs that afternoon so no problem poaching them. I made the hollandaise using lime juice, which I feel helps bring out the salmon flavour. Anyway, it was a great success and daughter cheered up instantly.

tonight will be blue cheese souffle I think, I have a nice piece of St Agur in the fridge, which could do with being used up. wish me luck!

As you might have gathered my chickens have gone into egg laying overdrive so we are eating eggs by the dozen to clear the decks :smile:

Edited by ChristinaM (log)