• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2008

Shelby

Here are a couple of dishes this week for all you meat lovers.  First up was a Braised 'Teriyaki' Beef Short Ribs.  First time cooking this cut of meat and i really like the possibilities (and cheapness).  Great flavour and texture:

gallery_52657_4505_404244.jpg

And tonight Cantonese Roast Duck (no explanation required!):

gallery_52657_4505_475345.jpg

gallery_52657_4505_19052.jpg

i want that duck!!!! i am going to order a whole bird tomorrow.

any special tips or the full recipe that you could share?

ontopic: i use bones from 3 chicken legs, added 5 kaffir lime leaves, a carrot, 2 stalks of celery ,3-4 birds eye chillies (whole) and a knob of ginger.

after 2 hours i had an aromatic broth that was a bit spicy, cooked a portion of store bought tortellini (ricotta and spinach) sauteed them in a mixture of ghee olive oil and butter (1/4th of a teaspoon of each) and added them to the broth

it was really nice.

Edited by Toufas (log)

Oh wow DoctorTim!  I love your lasagna.  You use far more noodle layers than I've ever seen.  Did you save most of the cheese and put it on top?  *drooling*

Thanks Shelby. There was some ricotta cheese between two of the lower layers, but the rest was on top (also on top is a thick bechamel sauce, that's not all melted cheese!).

Dr. Zoidberg: Goose liver? Fish eggs? Where's the goose? Where's the fish?

Elzar: Hey, that's what rich people eat. The garbage parts of the food.

My blog: The second pancake

Oh wow DoctorTim!  I love your lasagna.  You use far more noodle layers than I've ever seen.  Did you save most of the cheese and put it on top?  *drooling*

Thanks Shelby. There was some ricotta cheese between two of the lower layers, but the rest was on top (also on top is a thick bechamel sauce, that's not all melted cheese!).

Bechamel sauce. That's what I always forget about. I need to make some!

I envy your duck. I wish I knew how to do that.

At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since. ‐ Salvador Dali

Ann_T :wub: I made your bagels last night and they turned out SO well!!!!! Thank you so much! I noticed your food blog link and I read it--gorgeous. It inspired me to try. I posted pictures on the baking/sweets thread. My husband was so proud of me :biggrin:

Prawncrackers, I am willing to fly across the pond if you are willing to share any of the leftovers from those great looking dishes.

That plate of duck was the leftovers!!! :biggrin: We'll be having that tonight along with some steamed scallops, hurry you have about 4 hours to get here....

Posted on: Jul 11 2006, 04:02 PM

by Abra

Oh, I need recipes for the swordfish empanada and the redcurrant cake, please! Maybe there should be a whole separate thread for Recipes from the Dinner thread. There are so many great recipes embedded in these 500 odd pages.

Long ago Abra made this comment about starting a "Recipes from the Dinner Thread" thread but it doesn't seem to have happened. I'm making the Swordfish Impanata for dinner tonight with a recipe from Chufi (I think) by way of Pontormo, or maybe the Italian Food threads............

Any interest in a dinner recipe thread?

ETA: Dr J, BTW, I need the recipe for those beautiful "Red pepper stuffed Gnocchi topped with a ground veal and sausage sauce"

Edited by dockhl (log)

Pizza last night with Kalamata olives, prosciutto, mozzarella, diced tomatoes, garlic, olive oil and then fresh basil after the pizza came out of the oven. For the dough I used the artisan bread in five minutes recipe off another thread in the baking forum. This is a good recipe for pizza dough-doesn't get soggy and puffs up nicely.

gallery_41580_4407_49517.jpg

gallery_41580_4407_74203.jpg

I recently made some Cassoulet that was really good but I have a leftover raw by product that I want to cook up. I bought a big slabof pork belly and cut the rind off to use in the cassoulet. Now I have a about a pount of rindlesspork belly. Is there anything really great I can do with it? is it technically pork belly still?

Long ago Abra made this comment about starting a "Recipes from the Dinner Thread" thread but it doesn't seem to have happened. I'm making the Swordfish Impanata for dinner tonight with a recipe from Chufi (I think) by way of Pontormo, or maybe the Italian Food threads............

I thought that was what the RecipeGullet was for!

The past couple of days have been really lucky in that I've stumbled across ingredients here in Brum that have i've never seen available before. Yesterday was Sea Urchin at the wholesale market (see the breakfast thread) and this morning it was Woodcock from the farmers market. Brilliant!

Roasted Woodcock, with a Beetroot salad, Roasted Pink Fir Apple Potato and a 'Pate' of it's innards (Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's good idea this one):

gallery_52657_4505_140317.jpg

The taste of woodcock is fantastically delicately gamey. It was roasted with the innards still in the bird. Whilst the bird was resting, the still bloody innards were spooned into a small pan to cook through with some butter and a splash of marsala to make the pate - the end product was wonderfully rich and went very well with the sweet beets.

I really hope they are available again next time the farmers market is in town!

I thought that was what the RecipeGullet was for!

The past couple of days have been really lucky in that I've stumbled across ingredients here in Brum that have i've never seen available before. Yesterday was Sea Urchin at the wholesale market (see the breakfast thread) and this morning it was Woodcock from the farmers market. Brilliant!

Roasted Woodcock, with a Beetroot salad, Roasted Pink Fir Apple Potato and a 'Pate' of it's innards (Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's good idea this one):

gallery_52657_4505_140317.jpg

The taste of woodcock is fantastically delicately gamey. It was roasted with the innards still in the bird. Whilst the bird was resting, the still bloody innards were spooned into a small pan to cook through with some butter and a splash of marsala to make the pate - the end product was wonderfully rich and went very well with the sweet beets.

I really hope they are available again next time the farmers market is in town!

Looks delicious. Tell me more about the "Roasted Pink Fir Apple Potato." Sounds interesting.

David, can you believe that they have their own UK website http://www.pinkfirapple.co.uk/!! They are a low yield heirloom potato, not sure whether you have them over there but no doubt you will have something similar though. I parboiled them before halving and roasting. They crisp up beautifully and are so tasty.

David, I love your freeform pizza. I like the idea of not needing to get it round since I hardly ever do.

Could you please guide me to the artisan bread in 5 minutes thread that you mentioned? It is quite a coincidence. We were at a wine tasting today and ran into someone who was talking about bread that she makes that she called bread in five minutes. She said that she makes the dough every week and then comes home from work, tears a chunk of the dough off and then they have freshly baked bread in a very short period of time. She said that she would send me the recipe when she and her husband get back from their vacation. I don't think that I will get it for a while. It would be nice to try to make the recipe that you found here on eGullet, and then see what she eventually sends me.

Thanks in advance!

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes

David, I love your freeform pizza. I like the idea of not needing to get it round since I hardly ever do.

Could you please guide me to the artisan bread in 5 minutes thread that you mentioned? It is quite a coincidence. We were at a wine tasting today and ran into someone who was talking about bread that she makes that she called bread in five minutes. She said that she makes the dough every week and then comes home from work, tears a chunk of the dough off and then they have freshly baked bread in a very short period of time. She said that she would send me the recipe when she and her husband get  back from their vacation. I don't think that I will get it for a while. It would be nice to try to make the recipe that you found here on eGullet,  and then see what she eventually sends me.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you very much. Go over to the baking forum and scroll through the subjects to Artisan Bread in Five minutes with Zoe Francis. It's right up there this evening. There is lots of info about the method, the book about the method, and links to the recipe.

I rarely get pizza into the perfect round, but that is what gives an artisan pizza its character, odd edges, bubbles in the dough, cheese melting over the edge. I think that odd shape I ended up with added to the taste of the pizza, at least I hope it did.

I'm craving pizza now! Some great looking ones here! and I have no flour in the house, otherwise I would start some dough and let it rise overnight and have pizza tomorrow...

Ann_T how wonderful to see you again on the Dinner thread!

gallery_21505_2929_22786.jpg

Dinner a couple of days ago: stamppot (potatoes mashed with vegetables), a very untraditional one made with sweet potatoes and some panfried garlicky cabbage. Topped with caramellized onions and served with smoked sausage. We were surprised how good this was, which is why I only took a picture when we were already halfway through dinner :smile:

gallery_21505_2929_61236.jpg

gallery_21505_2929_3871.jpg

Tonight we had some gorgeous beans.. Rancho Gordo´s Black Nightfall. I got them as a Christmas present from a very kind eGulleter!

I added some garlick, tomatoes and chipotles towards the end of the cooking. Tooped with a bit of lime juice, crumbled fresh cheese and coriander.

Served with butternut squash roasted with cumin, corander seeds and allspice, and skillet cornbread with spring onions and goatscheese.

Edited by Chufi (log)
  • Like 1

Last night's dinner was a delicious Swordfish Impanata

gallery_29637_2271_94521.jpg

And, for you Bruce, eternal cukes ! (with pink Himalayan salt) :laugh:

gallery_29637_2271_69218.jpg

This had an intoxicating aroma out of the oven while cooling due to the orange in the pastry. It was fantastic, and reheated beautifully for breakfast :wink: