• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2008

Shelby

I also made this very simple, soothing and very good beef noodle casserole:

gallery_34972_3580_137487.jpg

Easy, but not one can of Cream of....soup was involved!

That looks delicious. Do you have a recipe you can share?

I also made this very simple, soothing and very good beef noodle casserole:

gallery_34972_3580_137487.jpg

Easy, but not one can of Cream of....soup was involved!

That looks delicious. Do you have a recipe you can share?

I'm not Kim, but I found the recipe in her online cookbook. Click the "Kim's Cookbook" link in her sig. and look in the casserole chapter. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE

her cookbook! :wub:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Pollo en escabeche with white onion, carrots, pickled jalapenos, black pepper, allspice, and lots of garlic. Dark sunflower seed bread from the farmer’s market. Not pictured: romaine lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, scallions, basil, and feta cheese, tossed with chipotle-basil-balsamic vinaigrette.

ETA: jalapenos

gallery_42956_2536_47661.jpg

Edited by C. sapidus (log)

. . . The vinaigrette sounds great, too - is the recipe posted somewhere?

Thanks! The vinaigrette is from Mexican Everyday -- Google "smoky chipotle-balsamic dressing" or click here. The garden was flush with basil, so we tossed a handful into the blender with the other vinaigrette ingredients.

Served 'com tam' today but without the usual shredded pork skin (too dry for my liking). It was simply broken rice, sunny side up, grilled marinated pork chops and sliced tomatoes & cucumbers. Final touch? Nuoc mam of course!

vh87ky.jpg

What did you marinate the grilled pork chops in? It looks soooooooo good!

It's very simple. A dash of salt, sugar, fish sauce, wine of choice and minced lemongrass (sometimes if I'm feeling lazy, I'd just buy the pork chops from a good butcher).

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

. . . The vinaigrette sounds great, too - is the recipe posted somewhere?

Thanks! The vinaigrette is from Mexican Everyday -- Google "smoky chipotle-balsamic dressing" or click here. The garden was flush with basil, so we tossed a handful into the blender with the other vinaigrette ingredients.

Thanks a lot!

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

It's been a while since I've posted, eh?

gallery_1890_1967_223855.jpg

Minestra di verdura

I trust that recipe is on your blog? The evil admins have blocked all blogs at work, so I cannot check. But that looks like it would be the perfect summer supper! (It's still 30 degrees C where I am, so I still consider it summer!)

It's been a while since I've posted, eh?

gallery_1890_1967_223855.jpg

Minestra di verdura

I trust that recipe is on your blog? The evil admins have blocked all blogs at work, so I cannot check. But that looks like it would be the perfect summer supper! (It's still 30 degrees C where I am, so I still consider it summer!)

thanks prasantrin. yes the recipe is on my blog.

it takes about 45 minutes, including prep time. serve with some bread and a glass of white wine.

no pix last night, had two chorizo tacos from a local taco truck (w/ radishes, cucumber, lime and garlic-cilantro salsa) and some jamaica.

Shelby – that is some gorgeous chicken, girl!!

Since next week is Mr. Kim’s surgery and we’ll be inundated with friends and family, we decided to have a family night last night. Just Mr. Kim, Jessica and me. Pizza and Bob Hope in “The Lemon Drop Kid” on the DVD player. I purchased the crusts which were ordinary, but this was kind of spur of the moment, so I had to improvise. We had just a regular pepperoni pizza and a shrimp pizza with fresh mozzarella:

gallery_34972_3580_48896.jpg

gallery_34972_3580_125911.jpg

the sauce for the shrimp pizza was ricotta and a nice pesto sauce that one of Mr. Kim’s coworkers made.

gallery_1890_1967_16553.jpg

Pasta with fresh tomato sauce (heirloom tomatoes, onion, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper and parsley)

The flaky white stuff is shaved Parm-Reg cheese. One of these days I'll get a grater from BBB. Until then I've been using a vegetable peeler.

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

gallery_1890_1967_16553.jpg

Pasta with fresh tomato sauce (heirloom tomatoes, onion, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper and parsley)

The flaky white stuff is shaved Parm-Reg cheese.  One of these days I'll get a grater from BBB.  Until then I've been using a vegetable peeler.

Looks great, I have a bunch of graters and I prefer using a vegetable peeler. Better texture and taste. Beautiful plate.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

First experience cooking lamb shanks. I tried two recipes: Lamb Shanks and Potato Curry, and Jamie Oliver's Spectacular Baked Lamb Shanks. They were both great! Luckily our son, wife and grandson came up to help us eat the 6 shanks. We also had 11-grains "rice", naan, green and yellow beans, and a marinated mixed veg. salad.

Our son bought us a Spanish red wine - vega del Rio Crianza. It went very well with the lamb.

gallery_13838_4218_3307.jpg

gallery_13838_4218_44049.jpg

gallery_13838_4218_57056.jpg

We had freshly picked locally grown strawberries for dessert.

ETA to move image.

Edited by Dejah (log)

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Shelby – that is some gorgeous chicken, girl!!

Since next week is Mr. Kim’s surgery and we’ll be inundated with friends and family, we decided to have a family night last night. Just Mr. Kim, Jessica and me.  Pizza and Bob Hope in “The Lemon Drop Kid” on the DVD player.  I purchased the crusts which were ordinary, but this was kind of spur of  the moment, so I had to improvise.  We had just a regular pepperoni pizza and a shrimp pizza with fresh mozzarella:

the sauce for the shrimp pizza was ricotta and a nice pesto sauce that one of Mr. Kim’s coworkers made.

HOLYCOW I need that shrimp pizza!!! WOW!!!!!!!! :wub:

Hubby was away tonight so I made myself some pan fried dumplings stuffed with ground pork, cabbage, onions and garlic and some fried rice. Paired it with a lovely Chardonnay and Im in HEAVEN.. and there is NO LEFTOVERS. :unsure: MMmmmmmmm....

gallery_61360_6200_346804.jpg

gallery_61360_6200_159569.jpg

Sadly, today is the last day of Teal season--the most tender duck I've ever eaten. My husband is out shooting as we speak! The best way to eat it is to lightly sear it to rare, but last night we fried strips of the breast, along with the hearts and livers! If you've never had Teal heart and liver, you're missing out!

gallery_54689_4781_31239.jpg

Night before last we had spaghetti and meat sauce with grilled artichokes

gallery_54689_4781_120462.jpg

edited to add another picture

Edited by Shelby (log)

Last night I did a combination of my own technique for searing/roasting halibut, combined with two recipes-potatoes and a sauce-from Nancy Oakes "Boulevard" cookbook. (Boulevard is her San Francisco restaurant).

Our local fish store had gotten delivery of fresh halibut from Alaska on Friday.

I sear the halibut for about 3 minutes per side in a cast iron pan drizzled with olive oil and butter. Then it goes into a 425 oven to roast for about 4 more minutes per side.

The potatoes are Yukon Golds that are peeled and boiled until they are soft, then coarsely mashed with arugula and red pepper flakes. Chef Oakes calls for adding mascarpone cheese but I left it out. I'm not a big fan of mixing potatoes with a sweet cheese.

The sauce is a simple tomato vinaigrette using balsamic vinegar. I added quite a bit of paprika to bring out the red color of the tomatoes.

gallery_41580_4407_11327.jpg

Good meals all !!

Today we had Smoked Chicken - smoked by a local BBQ place. It takes make hours of smoking to impart this deep mahogany color and intense smoky flavor. Made chicken stock with the bones and leftovers.

gallery_21049_162_268.jpg

gallery_21049_162_12233.jpg

Along with some colossal Cheeseburgers, washed down with a Porter.

gallery_21049_162_23716.jpg

Dejah, that lamb looks falling-apart delicious.

percyn: The chicken skin looks nice and crispy. Do you think that it was crisped on the grill after smoking?

Fried plantains; sauteed crookneck squash with bacon, onion, and parsley.

gallery_42956_2536_31597.jpg

Cream of crab soup, served with crusty bread. Onions and shallots fried in butter, a light roux, fish stock and heavy cream, Worcestershire sauce, white pepper, bay leaves, vermouth (we were out of sherry), a dash of hot sauce, and a pound of lump crab meat, all simmered to thicken and garnished with smoked paprika or cayenne to taste.

It may not look like much, but cream of crab soup is one of my favorite things on earth.

gallery_42956_2536_39152.jpg