• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2008

Shelby

Oh, my.  The white rice doesnt seem necessary but, that stew looks amazing.

i dunno i kinda like the white rice to soak up the gravy - call me Chinese.... :biggrin:

Seriously though Daniel this was a really tasty stew. Very simple to make, one of those that cooks exactly how you imagine it would. Here's a pic of it in the pan, PM me if you want a quickie recipe:

gallery_52657_4505_496185.jpg

Rack of lamb, with leftover roasted potatoes from last night's Prime Rib and green beans with butter, lemon and toasted almonds.

gallery_6080_205_52514.jpg

Molten lava cake for dessert

gallery_6080_205_91925.jpg

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Well, apparently I am the only one at eGullet who is continuing to rest on their holiday cooking laurels! Some beautiful and delicious looking food, y'all!

dockhl - that prime rib was beautiful and perfectly cooked!

Shelby - I love pickle roll ups! They excite me a lot! Matter of fact, that whole meal would bring me running to the table! And I have got to try monkfish! We get it all the time at the store, so there's no excuse. How did you cook it? Do you think you could do the Keller butter poaching with it?

Shelby & Marlene - loved the juicy, perfectly cooked pork!

tracey - crab salad...lobster....cue Homer..."MMMMMMMMMMM"

percyn - gorgeous pots. I truly believe that my le cruset pots make me a better cook! The soup looks fantastic! Love all the floating speckles of seasoning!

Bruce - your butt is gorgeous :laugh::raz: ! You should be proud of yourself!

David - your lamb is just perfectly cooked both times! That is how I always hope it will look like on the inside. Do you know what temp you cooked it to? And the stuffed chicken breast is lovely, too!

HappyLab - your scallops are perfect! How did you get such a great crust on them? I have a ton of them to cook soon and was hoping to get them to look like that!

purplewiz - is that hot and sour soup recipe available anywhere? We love it and I haven't ever found a recipe that we like.

Prawncrackers - we just got in from a bar where we stuffed ourselves with fried bar food while we watched football and your photo of the stilton smothered steak still caught Mr. Kim's eye!

Well, thanks to chrisamirault, I know how to post images finally, so I'll get caught up.

Starting with Christmas Eve dinner for 40-

Turkey and Ham:

gallery_34972_5596_25194.jpg

Sweet Potatoes:

gallery_34972_5596_143830.jpg

I am not apologizing for these, either. They are the only ones I like, I have tried other recipes and they all end up tasting like.....sweet potatoes :laugh: !

Oyster Dressing:

gallery_34972_5596_85364.jpg

I was pretty pleased with this. It was the first time that I tried making oyster dressing instead of stuffing and this was really good!

Yogurt Cucumbers, Cranberry Sauce and Fruit Salad:

gallery_34972_5596_125309.jpg

Some gorgeous sourdough that my sister sent for Christmas:

gallery_34972_5596_2097.jpg

My famous gravy (it really is good):

gallery_34972_5596_65392.jpg

White Cheddar/Sour cream potatoes:

gallery_34972_5596_124136.jpg

They look ugly, but they were actually the thing that people complemented most often that night.

Desserts are on this thread.

New Year's Day Dinner -

gallery_34972_5597_67050.jpg

gallery_34972_5597_112260.jpg

gallery_34972_5597_200781.jpg

Ribs, collards, cornbread, scalloped tomatoes, black eyed peas

More later - I have a couple of regular meals to post, too!

Kim

I'll be glad to post the recipe - I'll put it on RecipeGullet tonight - I have to play with it a little bit to make it 'legal'. It really is good. Mr. Kim and I decidedly do not like stewed tomatoes, which is what we thought they were when my MIL served them a few years ago. We took a 'polite portion'. When we tasted them, we were floored - they were so good. I've since made other converts. They are Southern vegetable sweet, though!

Kim

Well, apparently I am the only one at eGullet who is continuing to rest on their holiday cooking laurels!  Some beautiful and delicious looking food, y'all!

David - your lamb is just perfectly cooked both times!  That is how I always hope it will look like on the inside.  Do you know what temp you cooked it to?  And the stuffed chicken breast is lovely, too!

Kim

Thank you! I cooked the lamb rack and butterflied leg of lamb the same way-seared for about 4 minutes per side in a cast iron skillet, then into a 450 oven. I roast the meat in the oven for about 5 minutes per side. I don't use a meat thermometer to check the meat temperature. I use the finger poke method and when I feel the meat is medium rare when I poke it, I take it out. (The meat gives just a bit when I poke it but it is not soft). I only let it rest for about 5 minutes before carving. This is the same method I use for steaks. I'd say for a full rack of lamb the total cooking time between searing and roasting is 18-20 minutes.

It has been a while since I posted here. Nice to see everyone is still eating well. And the photos just keep getting better.

I'm playing with a new camera. Had to replace my Sony after it fell off the counter and hit the floor. I bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18. Still trying to figure out most of the settings.

I had some local spot prawns in the freezer and used them in a spicy Asian style dish.

gallery_27944_2966_264377.jpg

It has been a while since I posted here.

Ann_T, it has been too long, but I am so glad to see you posting again. We have missed your thoughtful comments and lovingly prepared meals. Speaking of which, those spot prawns look like they would hit the, um, spot.

Best of luck with the new camera.

Here are a few dinners from the last week or so

Steamed Turbot, vanilla bean and lemon zest with a vanilla/lemon cream sauce. Served with green beans. This is a recipe from one of Jamie Oliver's books and the combo was delicious. My wife could not get over the vanilla in there (vanilla = Dessert !!) so she did not like it. I really loved the steamed flavorful fish with the lemon zest and vanilla.

gallery_5404_94_95739.jpg

Vietnamese Beef, carrot and tomato stew with Jasmin rice

Carrot and Cucumber slaw with Turmeric

gallery_5404_94_220646.jpg

Mushroom Ragout with Bulghur and yogurt sauce

gallery_5404_94_235002.jpg

Citrus Brined, Roasted Rack of Pork with a little bbq sauce

Collard Greens and Potato Stew with Smoked Paprika, Sherry Vinegar and Chili flakes. This sort of Spanish take on collards was a very good one. Definitely one of the better ways I've had them.

gallery_5404_94_76623.jpg

gallery_5404_94_307145.jpg

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Last night was a salad of Herring in Sour Cream, Butter Lettuce and Pickled Red Onion.  I try to always keep a batch of pickled red onions in the fridge.  Very easy to make and they retain this beautiful pink color.  Just about any recipe you pull off the web works fine:

gallery_41580_4407_44159.jpg

Man, David Ross, your food looks stunning, as usual. I don't like herring in cream but your photo makes me want some. And yes to the pickled red onions. If you don't have any in the fridge, even a 30 minute soak in rice vinegar makes a big difference in taste, texture and appearance.

Ann T - I got that same camera. I really like it, but it makes me feel like an idiot. I want to take a class now so I can take advantage of all the bells and whistles!

Ok, as requested the Scalloped Tomato recipe is now on RecipeGullet.

I'll completely catch up tonight, including this evenings dinner.

The other night had a romaine and spinach salad with goat cheese, candied pecans and blackberries (found some very good ones at Costco) and a sweet balsamic vinaigrette:

gallery_34972_3580_1044.jpg

Swisscheeseburgers (that looks like something Chufi would write :biggrin::wink: ) with Mr. Kim's special mango/jalepeno salsa (I didn't eat the salsa, but it smelled wonderful) and cheese potatoes:

gallery_34972_3580_107680.jpg

gallery_34972_3580_103621.jpg

Another night we had panini. My Momma and Ted Fairhead gave us a panini maker for Christmas and this was our first effort:

gallery_34972_3580_205735.jpg

Raisin bread panini with ham, Swiss cheese, turkey, Dijon and fig preserves - it sounds odd, I know, but it was fantastic - the flavor was something akin to a Monte Cristo - sweet and savory. I served it with Alexis oven fries and basically the same salad as above, except with craisins instead of blackberries.

Tonight was supposed to be:

gallery_34972_3580_3361.jpg

gallery_34972_3580_200525.jpg

gallery_34972_3580_199586.jpg

Gorgeous, huh? It is keilbasa from John McGinnis and Co., which I think was given to us by parents of a friend. Except they live in Philly and I gather this McGinnis and Co is in P'burgh. Any help, Philly-folk? Sandy? Anyway - beautiful stuff. :shock::shock::shock: - just imagine flames coming out of those little smiley mouths. HOT AS FIRE! I'm sure Mr. Kim will just adore them, but as for me:

gallery_34972_3580_127465.jpg

Butter beans, broccoli slaw and the leftover hushpuppies and chicken tender from the grease platter special that Mr. Kim and I shared last night while watching Dallas lose to NY :biggrin: at Red, Hot and Blue (we only go there because we can watch football and smoke cigars (not me) at the bar!). They might be dull, but they were bearable!

Kim

Kim Shook, beautiful dinners, and thanks for your earlier admiration of my butt. Whatever you are doing with your new camera seems to be working –your pictures here and on the breakfast thread are lovely.

Grandma C made dinner tonight - roast chicken legs, dilled potatoes, and peas. Good stuff!

HappyLab - your scallops are perfect!  How did you get such a great crust on them?  I have a ton of them to cook soon and was hoping to get them to look like that!

Thanks, Kim!

This was actually the first time I've seared scallops (usually, I stir-fry), and I must say they turned out perfectly. I heated about a tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat in a small cast iron skillet. Then I took large "dry" sea scallops, patted them dry with paper towels, seasoned with s & p, and seared for about 3 minutes per side. They came out wonderfully crunchy on the outside and just barely cooked on the inside.

By the way, I'm definitely adding those scalloped tomatoes to my list of things to cook soon. Can't wait 'til you post the recipe (hint, hint).

purplewiz - is that hot and sour soup recipe available anywhere?  We love it and I haven't ever found a recipe that we like.

I can either send you the "official" recipe, or send you what I did to make that soup :biggrin:. The two are related, but the official recipe has like real measurements and techniques and stuff. It used to be in RecipeGullet before the board changed...

I guess I've been on an Asian soup kick, because this was last night's dinner, made from all the amazing ingredients I found at our local HMart (which I found from the Denver Gourmet market thread over in the Southwest Forum):

gallery_15557_2797_19204.jpg

Shiratiki(? almost no carb yam noodles), choi sum, fish cake, shrimp, pork shu mai, and a broth with only one Thai chili which made it almost too hot to eat, but oh, it was tasty.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

My mother's birthday was on January 10th so my sister and I decided to do an Iron Chef style competition to see who is the better cook. I regret not taking pictures, my dishes were gorgeous.

Salad Battle: Goat Cheese, & Tomato salad with a prosciutto crisp and a toast point

Tomatos tossed in chilli oil, mustard, olive oil, salt, and pepper over a strip of fried prosciutto and a toast point.

Starch: Spaghetti Carbonara.

Garlic, prosciutto, and cracked black pepper tossed with the egg-yolk and pasta.

Protein: Mushroom cream sauce & giant tiger prawns.

Poached prawns on a sauce of slow-cooked mushrooms for over the course of 2 hours creating an intense mushroom flavor then bound with a sauce.

I won, my sister was embarassed. The store-bought cake was awful, the end.

-----------

2193950415_aee7f3b0b4_o.jpg

Pasta of what was lying around the house. Shrimp, marinated pork, spaghetti, carrots, olive oil, jalapenos, shallots, garlic, and some soy sauce.

It has been a while since I posted here. Nice to see everyone is still eating well. And the photos just keep getting better.

I'm playing with a new camera. Had to replace my Sony after it fell off the counter and hit the floor. I bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18. Still trying to figure out most of the settings.

I had some local spot prawns in the freezer and used them in a spicy Asian style dish.

Nice prawns Ann T...missed your pics.

[Ok, as requested the Scalloped Tomato recipe is now on RecipeGullet.

Thanks for posting the recipe....can you describe your cheese potatoes please

Do you mean the stuffed baked ones that I served with the burgers or the ones with Christmas dinner that were in the crock pot?

Kim