• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2008

Shelby

Grilled Venison Loin w/sweet potato puree and grilled red pepper and feta compote

gallery_39170_6229_36931.jpg

Lamb Ragu

gallery_39170_6229_9729.jpg

Roasted Heirlooms

gallery_39170_6229_191957.jpg

Roasted Heirloom tomato risotto

gallery_39170_6229_414266.jpg

Herbed Grilled Chicken w/Quinoa Salad

gallery_39170_6229_64996.jpg

If you don't mind a suggestion -

Make an actual tomato soup (not too thick) and use that as your liquid to cook the risotto.

The result will be the most flavorful tomato risotto you will ever have. I also like adding some oven dried tomatoes at the end for a bit of texture and extra flavor.

Shaya - so nice to "see" you! That pork bun looks amazing!

Daniel - that steak house dinner made me so hungry. It is just perfect. Creamed spinach is actually why I go to steakhouses (that and Oyster Rockefeller :wink: ) - mine never tastes as good as theirs!

Bridgestone - ANOTHER amazing steak! Just gorgeous!

Shelby - Lovely canning - I don't think I'm going to get to much of that this fall, somehow. Although Mr. Kim would kill for those jalepenos!

MiFi - what's that cool looking pasta under the lamb ragu?

The 'salad' last night was tomatoes, some of the last of summer's marinated cucumbers and some huge, crunchy radish slices. I had leftover meatloaf and made meatloaf sandwiches with bbq sauce and frizzled onions on garlic cheese bread. Also roasted potatoes. I've done this sandwich a few times. We love cold meatloaf sandwiches, but this is a nice change:

gallery_34972_3580_2089.jpg

gallery_34972_3580_46349.jpg

Quick dinner for the little one.. Cooked two little chicken thighs for her, (a little oil in heavy cast iron) wondra, flour, white pepper, salt, and pepper. Steamed carrots with butter and fresh squeezed oj.. She is starting to use hot sauce!

2951256937_e764dca260.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

I made a turkey last night through poaching first and then cooking in a super hot oven.. The results were awesome.. The turkey had been brined for two days and cooked in a pretty intense broth...

2953152069_728b0423a9.jpg

Made a gravy, potato puree and roasted acorn squash.

2953986198_3926b02dce_b.jpg

Miss A made this cake with a pound of chocolate and 9 separated eggs.

2953139381_739c189edb.jpg

I have so much turkey soup and turkey leftover.. Perfect way to welcome the cold weather.

Edited by Daniel (log)

There are some great dinner ideas on these pages! So much wonderful food. I really love the fall cooking.. the roasted tomatoes and the roasted squash and the ragu.

We´ve been away on vacation to the Southwest USA.. I´ve cooked every night since we came back, but today was the first day (in a week or so) that I actually had fun in the kitchen. We had our parents over to give them a picture loaded report of our trip ( the eGullet version can be seen here :smile: ) and in honor of the many great burgers we had in the US I made this:

gallery_21505_2929_127493.jpg

mini burgers with cheese and bacon, potato salad, pickles, avocado/tomato salad, beans in smoky barbecue sauce.

There are some great dinner ideas on these pages! So much wonderful food. I really love the fall cooking.. the roasted tomatoes and the roasted squash and the ragu.

We´ve been away on vacation to the Southwest USA.. I´ve cooked every night since we came back, but today was the first day (in a week or so) that I actually had fun in the kitchen. We had our parents over to give them a picture loaded report of our trip ( the eGullet version can be seen here  :smile: ) and in honor of the many great burgers we had in the US I made this:

gallery_21505_2929_127493.jpg

mini burgers with cheese and bacon, potato salad, pickles, avocado/tomato salad, beans in smoky barbecue sauce.

Wonderful! Keeping in mind what you said about burgers being basically fast food at home and people not getting that burgers can be great food, how did they go over with your parents? Or had you already converted them :wink: ?

Shaya, thank you for the kind words way upthread. We have missed your meals and the progress of your young sous chefs.

Everyone has posted a ton of gorgeous meals lately.

Arnab’s Aunt’s chicken curry: (click for recipe). The boys raved about this. Fry a cinnamon stick in oil and then brown chicken thighs with a paste of onions, ginger, garlic, and chiles. Add water, braise until done, remove chicken, and reduce sauce to desired consistency over high heat.

Pullao with carrots and peas: Fry cumin, black cardamom, onions, and ginger. Add chiles, carrots, peas, and garam masala. Mix in yogurt, add basmati rice and soaking water, and steam until done. Garnish with cilantro.

gallery_42956_2536_40018.jpg

Arnab’s Aunt’s chicken curry: (click for recipe). The boys raved about this. Fry a cinnamon stick in oil and then brown chicken thighs with a paste of onions, ginger, garlic, and chiles. Add water, braise until done, remove chicken, and reduce sauce to desired consistency over high heat.

What kind of chiles did you use?

And, to echo Bruce's comment, everyone's meals look, well, just fantastic.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

What kind of chiles did you use?

We used three serrano chiles, which provided a nice glow without making the sauce too fiery for younger son.

Bruce, Arnab's Aunt's Chicken Curry looks excellent. And all ingredients are usually to hand when one arrives home w/raw chicken, too. I am SO making that.

Last evening Ivan cast-iron-panned stovetop and then oven nice NY strips, which he served w/sliced Russian heirloom Anna tomato from the fahncy tomato guy at the farmer's market, beautiful crenelated red and green, very good flavor and texture, arrayed atop salad mix from another vendor, dressed w/lemon-juice vinaigrette inspired by having watched a Tivo'd Jamie asparagus show. Ciabatta from the Japanese French baker.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

I like the idea of fresh peas in Carbonara...may have to steal that one!

Doing mexican tonight...pulled chicken in a chipotle sauce, pureed corn with cilantro, chillies garlic and lime then pan fried to caramalize and spicey guac...all topped off with some pickled red onions.

Bucattini Carbonara

no peas on this version, but they would have been nice

gallery_39170_6229_40207.jpg

Lacitino kale, potato, bacon and leek fritata

gallery_39170_6229_94203.jpg

Roast Duck Breast from David Tanis' Platter of Figs with braised cabbage

gallery_39170_6229_31891.jpg

Leftover duck breast with lentil salad and pumpkin seed oil

gallery_39170_6229_212562.jpg

Prawn and MiFi are just killing me with the carbonara - I have to have that soon!!!

Last night was Robin Miller's (Food TV) Melt-In-Your-Mouth BBQ'd Ribs, southern beans, ziti with sour cream & Parm and slaw:

gallery_34972_3580_151606.jpg

We really liked the sauce - it was unusual. Not smoky or too spicy, but it was tangy and the combination of spices was really good.

Dessert was a brownie mix fix up that I got from Randi's blog. Just brownie mix (I used Ghirardelli) with Symphony bars baked between the layers of batter:

gallery_34972_3570_10845.jpg

These were just so good! I really like the Ghirardelli mix - it's the second best I've ever tried (the Barefoot Contessa brand is the best) and I don't mind using it at all if I don't have time to make from scratch.

Dessert was a brownie mix fix up that I got from Randi's blog. Just brownie mix (I used Ghirardelli) with Symphony bars baked between the layers of batter:

These were just so good! I really like the Ghirardelli mix - it's the second best I've ever tried (the Barefoot Contessa brand is the best) and I don't mind using it at all if I don't have time to make from scratch.

Wow, I'm flattered. I just made this for a casual lunch time catering job and I heard back that the brownies were amazing!! I think the Ghirardelli mix is really good. I always sub out coffee for the water as I think it deepens the choc. flavor.

Regular size boxes of Ghiradelli and Symphony bars are not sold here so I try to grab a few when I'm in MI.