• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2008

Shelby

Am getting hungry again w/all these great pictures.

That Pumpkin Ginger loaf looks delicious, as does the Lobster dish and the Shrimp and Grits, and am going to go hunting down that recipe for the chicken supper pie. Yum.

No picture for my dinner, but it was an experiment that I'll make again. Coated a chicken breast with honey mustard and a dash of Caribbean hot sauce, rolled in panko crumbs and baked. Makes a nice sweet, crunchy coating. Simple, but tasty.

:) Pam

Here are David Chang's Pork Buns that I made this weekend for a friend's birthday.  They were every bit as good as expcted.  The dough is amazing.  Lovingly raised pork from the farmer's market.

gallery_41870_2503_96185.jpg

That looks amazing and so comforting. Which recipe did you use for the buns?

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

Here are David Chang's Pork Buns that I made this weekend for a friend's birthday.  They were every bit as good as expcted.  The dough is amazing.  Lovingly raised pork from the farmer's market.

gallery_41870_2503_96185.jpg

That looks amazing and so comforting. Which recipe did you use for the buns?

You can watch a video of David Chang making the pork buns here.

Shaya, they look delicious. I'll definitely be trying them in the near future!

Dr. Zoidberg: Goose liver? Fish eggs? Where's the goose? Where's the fish?

Elzar: Hey, that's what rich people eat. The garbage parts of the food.

My blog: The second pancake

Sable and poached egg sitting on rye toast round.. Sherry vinegar.

2934404764_49fc34dd43.jpg

Got these dry aged steaks from what I think is the best butcher in Manhattan.. Ottomanelli's... They were sitting there in a beautiful crust.. We got 2 1.5 pound NY Strips..

Made a simple creamed spinach and baked potatoes with cheddar, creme fraiche and caviar...

2933552625_631916070e.jpg

Steak was amazing.

2934406838_e69e5bdf3a_b.jpg

Dessert before caramel sauce:

2933556641_969ce08108.jpg

Hey, thanks.. The creamed spinach was shallots cooked up with butter.. Cream is then added.. Toss in spinach and cook for a bit.. Added some wondra to thicken.. A little mustard a little worchesterchire, salt and white pepper..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Speaking of good butchers...

Here's the selection of dry-aged beef at my favorite butcher in Stockholm, Sweden:

2929064253_cf9958963d.jpg

Starting at 12-o'clock is the 4-week Cote de Bouef. The 4-week "T-bones" (2-o'clock and porterhouses, really) were amazing (especially the one in back) but I'd had one not too long ago. At 3-o'clock, the "Gold"-level, 8-week strips are awesome... And, at 7-o'clock-ish, the true dry-aged tenderloin (they accomplish a true dry-age on the tenderloins by dipping them in tallow prior to aging) look incredible even if they aren't really my cut of beef...

I ended up with the Cote de Bouef that was hidden under the one above. It was magnificently marbled and looked like it had been sitting around a bit extra (a good thing in this case...).

2929066477_2cab434b0b.jpg

At home:

2929929898_8527963d9e.jpg

2929070057_d22e43767d.jpg

Grilled and served with pan-fried fingerling potatoes and green/wax beans:

2929079587_c49e52f751.jpg

About as "well-done" as I'm willing to grill one of these incredible steaks.

2929084675_f6562b815a.jpg

gallery_4006_121_311069.jpg

back from the hawkgawk and dinner last night was pan fried pork chops, apple and onion dressing with a hunter's sauce along with broccoli and garlic. a little warm for this but it did taste good.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Here's the selection of dry-aged beef at my favorite butcher in Stockholm, Sweden:

2929064253_cf9958963d.jpg

Starting at 12-o'clock is the 4-week Cote de Bouef.  The 4-week "T-bones" (2-o'clock and porterhouses, really) were amazing (especially the one in back) but I'd had one not too long ago.  At 3-o'clock, the "Gold"-level, 8-week strips are awesome...  And, at 7-o'clock-ish, the true dry-aged tenderloin (they accomplish a true dry-age on the tenderloins by dipping them in tallow prior to aging) look incredible even if they aren't really my cut of beef...

I ended up with the Cote de Bouef that was hidden under the one above.  It was magnificently marbled and looked like it had been sitting around a bit extra (a good thing in this case...).

2929066477_2cab434b0b.jpg

At home:

2929929898_8527963d9e.jpg

2929070057_d22e43767d.jpg

Grilled and served with pan-fried fingerling potatoes and green/wax beans:

2929079587_c49e52f751.jpg

About as "well-done" as I'm willing to grill one of these incredible steaks.

2929084675_f6562b815a.jpg

All very beautiful. Meat, potato, and beans done perfectly. Again, beautiful. Thanks for the pics.

Edited to add: How come most of the potatoes are nice little squares with rounded corners? How'd you do that?

Edited by Country (log)

A couple of weeks ago at a pub crawl, I sampled a skewer at a Japanese restaurant that had beef shank or short ribs (I forgot to ask) braised in apple cider and soy, maybe rice wine, and then skewered with roasted apples. Last night I made a pot roast version of it. Ginger, garlic, hoisin, beef broth, soy, and apple cider with a lot of apples. It was really good, but I think I added too much garlic (though the rest of the family didn't). Served over mashed cauliflower. We finished all the meat and all of the cauliflower, but had a ton of apples (now very soft and simmered) and gravy, so I blended that all smooth and mom's using it as the base of a stew tonight. Potato or pasta, peas, carrots and maybe more beef.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

I have to third that! That is a fantastic display. No wonder it's your favourite butcher, looks terrific and cooked perfectly.

Inspired by recent pizzas on the thread i couldn't resist making my own last week:

gallery_52657_5922_190277.jpg

I usually use a combination of buffalo mozarella, smoked cheddar and parmesan. But the cheeseshop didn't have any mozarella so on a wild punt i substituted tallegio. It was wonderful, i think i may have found my holy grail of pizza cheese! It's bit dearer than mozarella but it's so much tastier.

Tonight, my buddy come round so i treated him to some asian flavours; Salt & Pepper Soft Shell Crabs, Tea Smoked Duck, Lamb Rendang & Veg:

gallery_52657_5922_190372.jpg

That pizza looks great (as does your Asian spread!) What else was on the pizza? Olives?

Thanks menu, there were just olives, chorizo and anchovy (on my side only!). I'm beginning to learn that less is more with pizza but still manage to make fairly hefty ones anyway. Still damn tasty though!

Last night we did an Oso Buco using lamb shanks. We cooked them up on Sunday and reheated them and strained and seasoned the sauce for dinner yesterday.

gallery_38003_2183_2573.jpg

The dish is based on a Craig Claiborne recipe from the New York Times Cookbook.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Edited to add: How come most of the potatoes are nice little squares with rounded corners? How'd you do that?

No mystery, really. I used fingerling potatoes and cut the edges off to make roughly squared cylinders. I then peeled the edges to remove any non cut-off peel and sliced into discs.

Thanks everyone for the kind words regarding anything I had to do with the steak! I'll pass on your admiration next time I stop by the butcher.

Bridgestone: Beautiful cuts of meat up there!

Prawn: I want that pizza.

Kellytree: That pasta is a thing of beauty!

I have jalapenos coming out of my ears, so I pickled a bunch of them and included carrots and cauliflower in the mix.

gallery_54689_4781_3230.jpg

Last night my husband made a seafood chowder that included chunks of monkfish, catfish, shrimp and oysters. It was really good on a cold and rainy night.

gallery_54689_4781_36133.jpg