• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2008

Shelby

Here in Kansas we FINALLY got ONE ripe tomato.  So, we had to smoke a turkey and make turkey sandwiches.

gallery_54689_4781_62098.jpg

That looks great, Shelby! We aren't getting good tomatoes this year - not even out at the farm :angry:! I love your cheery cherry plates!

Thank you, Kim!

It seems like no one is having a good tomato year :sad::sad::sad:

Thanks Mike Hartnett and nakji! Nakji I didn't bake the Dakdoritang, I'll share with everyone how I made it. Please excuse my english it's not 100% there. :unsure:

On the contrary--your English is very good!

Thanks for sharing. I think I might just have to try this out tonight...

Thank you MikeHartnett! You are very kind. I hope you like the stew, you can also give it your own special touch!

Hi Lisa! I've made piñon, don't make it often though, my son doesn't like it. :huh:

Hiya LaCook! Isn't it an amazing dish? My friend's mom would make it in what seemed to be a square pressure cooker, and I think that's what made it so special, as baking it just doesn't seem to give me the same results. Do you use anything different in it? As I mentioned above, her mom would add green or string beans as an extra layer, but most recipes I see for it, do not contain green beans!

Hi Lisa! Never heard of using a pressure cooker, intresting technique though. I don't use string beans, but some of my friends do. I don't use anything different, I keep my piñon simple. If I were to use something different, I think I would add a layer of bacon right on top! :laugh:

Dakdoritang(Spicy chicken stew)

Jjang! Thanks!

Gochujang comes in a red tub (or jar, sometimes) but I think you could use any red chili paste to get the flavour, as long as you don't mind the heat. I have a picture of what it looks like here.

I think the cilantro is a good choice, because it has a kind of sharp flavour like ganeep, which Koreans use in a lot of their dishes. Is ganeep the same as shiso, does anyone know? They look the same.

So how did you learn about Dakdoritang? I've never seen it outside of Korea.

Hi nakji! Thank you for the gochujang pic, I'll keep searching for it! :laugh:

Nakji I've learned about Dakdoritang looking over the internet for a fried chicken recipe, wanted to prepare something different. I found a recipe for Korean fried chicken and kept looking at this page filled with other Korean recipes, so instead of the fried chicken I ended up making this stew. :biggrin:

Not posted on the Dinner thread for a while, everybody's meals look great. In particular i love Ce'ndra's green-lipped mussels. You can't get those big ones fresh over here and the frozen ones are so tough. They look luscious.

When the wife is out i usually cook something wildly spicy. I didn't let myself down today with Jerk Poussin with Coconut Rice & Peas:

gallery_52657_5922_123428.jpg

Earlier in the week i roasted a home-made ham and with the leftovers a few days later i made a classic quiche lorraine. My wife declared it was the best quiche she'd ever tasted, i thought it was pretty good too:

gallery_52657_5922_136756.jpg

gallery_52657_5922_282389.jpg

Edited by Prawncrackers (log)

Prawn – I cannot bear hot foods, but that chicken would tempt me! It’s gorgeous! And that ham :wub: . I am a fool for all ham, but that one is just exactly what ham should look like!

I have been wanting to make the Scallops w/ Miso-Mustard Cream Sauce that nakji made awhile ago – I even went out and got the miso a couple of weeks ago. But our wonderful seafood shop hasn’t had any scallops come in that they wanted to offer for awhile. Today, finally, success. They had large, dry scallops when we called this morning and we raced down to pick them up! They were gorgeous! Here they are after cooking:

gallery_34972_3580_41020.jpg

Here they are plated with the sauce and some couscous that I cooked w/ toasted almonds, saffron, onion and golden raisins:

gallery_34972_3580_36408.jpg

The scallops were just fantastic! Thank you so much, nakji for introducing it! The sauce was really tasty, but subtle and didn’t in any way overpower the sweetness of the scallops.

I served it with marinated cucumbers and sliced tomatoes with goat cheese and olive oil:

gallery_34972_3580_78427.jpg

gallery_34972_3580_36408.jpg

I'm glad you finally had a chance to try it! I love that recipe - I should put it in the "Recipes that Rock" discussion. If you like that style of cooking, and like Japanese food, I really recommend Harumi Kurihara's book, "Japanese Cooking".

The recipe is on the New York Times site: Scallops in Miso Mustard Sauce

I've been looking for an excuse to make it again, and my in-laws are visiting this week, so I might trot it out.

It's SO freaking hot here. Yesterday was 104! So, I thought pimento cheese spread sounded cool and yummy. Next time I will make the mayo myself. I think that would make it perfect.

gallery_54689_4781_66654.jpg

I keep it in this cute little crock.

gallery_54689_4781_32710.jpg

gallery_54689_4781_2263.jpg

Later on we had lasagna and a salad

gallery_54689_4781_9926.jpg

gallery_54689_4781_3289.jpg

gallery_54689_4781_58836.jpg

It's SO freaking hot here.  Yesterday was 104!  So, I thought pimento cheese spread sounded cool and yummy.  Next time I will make the mayo myself.  I think that would make it perfect.

gallery_54689_4781_66654.jpg

I keep it in this cute little crock.

gallery_54689_4781_32710.jpg

gallery_54689_4781_2263.jpg

Later on we had lasagna and a salad

gallery_54689_4781_9926.jpg

gallery_54689_4781_3289.jpg

gallery_54689_4781_58836.jpg

Shelby, it's THAT hot and you BAKED a lasagna? You're a better cookie than I, Gunga Din! (Apologies to Rudyard Kipling) :shock:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Shelby, we're on the same wavelength.  I've never made pimento cheese in my life and I made some this morning for a family BBQ.

LOL Judiu! I know, I know. I'm one of the few people that don't lose their appetites in heat--I baked it after the sun set, so it was only about 95 outside :raz:

Cali! How did you like it? I like mine even better today after it seasoned up a bit.

Shelby, we're on the same wavelength.  I've never made pimento cheese in my life and I made some this morning for a family BBQ.

LOL Judiu! I know, I know. I'm one of the few people that don't lose their appetites in heat--I baked it after the sun set, so it was only about 95 outside :raz:

Cali! How did you like it? I like mine even better today after it seasoned up a bit.

Recipes for the Pimento cheese, please?

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Recipes for the Pimento cheese, please?

I'm typing it up right now and I'll pm you in just a minute :smile:

A few of us decided to meet up for a few days at a friends in Norfolk UK, much wine was consumed (some of it grown around the corner in an English vineyard no less).

Here was our main meal made by yours truly.

2729244856_06a0522316.jpg2729244868_3ae6263b80.jpg

Crab & Lobster. Cote de Boeuf.

2729244892_244963553d.jpg2729269886_a4a164c5c9.jpg

England Vs. France at Cheese (the damn Frogs won). Tas Valley in Norfolk.

Although it's always enjoyable catching up with old friends, the fact that Merv the 15yr old blind cat was also in attendance, was incredible. And yes he did get some crab, though not lobster.

2729269932_114e9f6860_m.jpg

Thanks sooooo much for that recipe for the scallops with miso and mustard sauce. It is a must-do for me in the very near future.

Last night I was in the mood for steak, which was on sale at Publix, but not in the mood to grill. So, I cooked it by my current favorite indoor method, first stove-top in the skillet and then a very few minutes in a 450 oven. It was really, really good.

That's some also-on-sale cheap "black whitefish caviar" (?!) on the baked potato with sour cream and butter oozing out on the plate, and yes some butter melting on the steak, too. :wub:

gallery_13038_5967_172649.jpg

gallery_13038_5967_89327.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I see that everyone kept cooking beautiful meals these past weeks. We had delightful vacation – the Black Hills, Yellowstone, rodeos, horses, welcoming hosts, and delightful company. I did miss the dogs, fish sauce, and green things. Consequently, I plan a week of salads.

Tonight we grilled strip steaks for the boys, and concocted a more-or-less Thai steak salad for the grownups. The salad dressing is a repeat favorite -- lemon juice, fish sauce, cilantro, garlic, chiles, palm sugar, and white pepper, all whizzed up in the blender. Jasmine rice on the side.

gallery_42956_2536_28635.jpg

I see that everyone kept cooking beautiful meals these past weeks. We had delightful vacation – the Black Hills, Yellowstone, rodeos, horses, welcoming hosts, and delightful company. I did miss the dogs, fish sauce, and green things. Consequently, I plan a week of salads.

Tonight we grilled strip steaks for the boys, and concocted a more-or-less Thai steak salad for the grownups. The salad dressing is a repeat favorite -- lemon juice, fish sauce, cilantro, garlic, chiles, palm sugar, and white pepper, all whizzed up in the blender. Jasmine rice on the side.

gallery_42956_2536_28635.jpg

This looks like a picture in a cooking magazine! Beautiful!

It was ok. I used some store brand extra sharp, some mayo, pepper and pimento. Thats it. I really didnt follow a recipe. I took it to a family bbq and everyone loved it. Its not know in these parts.

Bruce, those cucumbers are calling to me!

Susan, that potato with caviar is truly over the top. How did you come up with the idea? And what are your plans for the rest of the caviar you bought (if you had any left after that - again, wow!)?

Tonight I had a light dinner after a day of grazing...roasted beet salad with green beans, dill and Greek yogurt. Made a dressing with some sherry vinegar, mustard, honey and minced white onion. Totally refreshing and easy.

gallery_26775_1623_43648.jpg

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007