• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2008

Shelby

David  - both your prawn dinners looked wonderful.  When summer time comes I could live on seafood, salad, corn and tomatoes and be happy!  Both those dishes would make me very, very happy!

Dr. J  - your monkfish is just lovely.  I really have to try that soon!

Prawn  - what a gorgeous Father's day spread.  I'm not a dad, but I want that!!

Megan  - I keep coming back to that frittata.  I sure wish that was waiting for me when I get home tonight!!

Daniel  - love all the sausages!  We were in a Russian deli last week and decided that we wanted to purchase one each of all the different sausages and have a party with sausages, beer and toothpicks as the only utensils!

Only two dinners from me, but lots of pictures!  Hope it's not too many. 

Friday night I used up that lovely merguez sausage in some marinara on whole wheat penne.  I also served a salad:

gallery_34972_3580_36044.jpg

gallery_34972_3580_78840.jpg

Father's day was a big feast.  The apps included Texas Caviar w/ Pita chips:

gallery_34972_3580_8528.jpg

These wonderful little canapes with fresh salsa, cojito cheese, mayo and chorizo in little filo cups:

gallery_34972_3580_133311.jpg

Flaming hot peanuts:

gallery_34972_3580_238321.jpg

Cheesy Artichoke dip:

gallery_34972_3580_176447.jpg

For dinner Mr. Kim request BBQ, sausages and sides.  I had to do oven roasted BBQ because of Stupid Grill, but it turned out really well:

gallery_34972_3580_101118.jpg

The sausages were brats and these cute little veal and pork sausages we got at the European deli called Parowki Dla Dzieci:

gallery_34972_3580_160232.jpg

We cut the brats in half and served small buns so that people could have some of each if they wanted to, but the other sausages were already tiny.

gallery_34972_3580_191272.jpg

That's 18 of the little suckers on a half sheet pan!  So cute.

Sides included mustard slaw:

gallery_34972_3580_25726.jpg

My sister-in-law's Caprese:

gallery_34972_3580_178318.jpg

My other sister-in-law's tossed salad with grapefruit, kiwi and strawberries and a really good sweet and sour dressing:

gallery_34972_3580_91570.jpg

My MIL's famous deviled eggs (she swears they aren't any different than anyone else's, but they do taste better):

gallery_34972_3580_233376.jpg

Pickled cabbage and Half Sours from the European Deli and my Grandmother's pickled pickles that I posted about before:

gallery_34972_3580_112269.jpg

gallery_34972_3580_175759.jpg

Swiss potato kugel - a new recipe I was trying out (meh):

gallery_34972_3580_194849.jpg

Dessert was Angel Food cake with Caramel Apple Sauce, Lucky Charms Treats (they were silly, but everyone loved them - kids and adults), peanut butter cookies and a phenomenal Crunchy Milk Chocolate-Peanut Butter Layer cake that I heard about from DesertCulinary here at eG and that everyone just raved over.  It is one of the best things I have ever put in my mouth:

gallery_34972_3570_213340.jpg

gallery_34972_3570_209029.jpg

Oh, Kim, everything looks so amazing, and that cake..wow! Peanut butter and milk chocolate..I just drooled!! I love how you swirled the top, so pretty!

Flickr Shtuff -- I can't take a decent photo to save my life, but it all still tastes good.

My new Blog: Parsley, Sage, Desserts and Line Drives

"I feel the end approaching. Quick, bring me my dessert, coffee and liqueur."

Anthelme Brillat-Savarin's great aunt Pierette (1755-1826)

~Lisa~

Kim--Everything looks SO good. I want to dip a chip into that Texas caviar and a fork into that cake!!

Soba--I'm going to have to try something like this with some monk fish I have in the freezer. My husband isn't a big fan of tomato with fish for some reason. Maybe I can change his mind!

a bit late but, fathers day dinner.

marinated grilled flank steak and yellow squash. Fingerling 'sandwiches' stuffed with bacon portobello, and sage. And green beans.

My little brother did the cooking...here he is doing all the plating..

IMG_5117-vi.jpg

and a closer shot

IMG_5118-vi.jpg

Brendan

I've been in a salad mood lately. It's hot here, but my lettuce in the garden is still producing!

gallery_54689_4781_11050.jpg

Pizza with fresh basil from the garden

gallery_54689_4781_36587.jpg

More fresh basil!

gallery_54689_4781_22863.jpg

Lamb ribs, mashed taters and gravy and corn

gallery_54689_4781_2022.jpg

Homemade strawberry cheesecake ice cream!

gallery_54689_4781_4347.jpg

What to do with a big pot of fagioli?

Salmon Cakes w/Chow and white bean radicchio salad

gallery_39170_2381_116272.jpg

Fresh Cibola Farms Sausage w/white beans in herbed tomato sauce

gallery_39170_2381_87476.jpg

I was testing an idea for my pickled peach consomme so that became last nights dinner.

gallery_53467_4795_224581.jpg

pork belly - salad of dandelion greens, peaches and chive blossoms - pickled peach consomme

The pork belly was roasted on a bed of onions with (It's good... honest!) peach tea snapple. The pickled peach consomme tastes like a light spiced peach vinaigrette minus the oil so I just dressed the salad with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Shelby - the texture of that bread is gorgeous! I really have to try the no-knead method! And I would dive into every dish in your next post! I adore lamb ribs and just the idea of strawberry cheesecake ice cream makes me slightly faint :wub: !

MiFi - the sausage and beans are lovely. What all is in that? Sounds like something that we would love in our house.

Dinner last night was grilled ham, gratin dauphinois, roasted asparagus, fried green tomatoes and sweet potato rolls:

gallery_34972_3580_113827.jpg

gallery_34972_3580_16431.jpg

I used cheddar instead of gryere, because it's what I had - it was very good!

Jessica is not a ham fan, so she had filet:

gallery_34972_3580_116420.jpg

This steak was from the Belmont Butchery - grass fed, pasture raised with more flavor and marbling than I've ever seen in a filet. Mr. Kim did a fantastic job grilling it - it was a perfect medium rare.

Rolls:

gallery_34972_3580_112452.jpg

gallery_41378_5233_29708.jpg

The season's first zucchinis came in from the market this weekend, so I stuffed them with some ground chicken and grilled them with some cheese. Very satisfying!

Jessica is not a ham fan

I've heard such people exist, but have never seen any proof before now..... :blink:

Edited by nakji (log)

Jessica is not a ham fan

I've heard such people exist, but have never seen any proof before now.....

Now you have double proof. I've never seen so much ham since I moved to Ontario. Jewish kids don't get exposed to ham while growing up :biggrin: That might be one of the reasons I dont like it.

Now you have double proof. I've never seen so much ham since I moved to Ontario. Jewish kids don't get exposed to ham while growing up biggrin.gif That might be one of the reasons I dont like it.

Fair enough! :biggrin: I myself could not imagine life without pork, especially in Asia! I think it makes up three or four meals a week for me. Without it, I'd be stuck eating the cheapest and most boring meat at the supermarket - boneless, skinless chicken breast.

Now you have double proof. I've never seen so much ham since I moved to Ontario. Jewish kids don't get exposed to ham while growing up biggrin.gif That might be one of the reasons I dont like it.

Fair enough! :biggrin: I myself could not imagine life without pork, especially in Asia! I think it makes up three or four meals a week for me. Without it, I'd be stuck eating the cheapest and most boring meat at the supermarket - boneless, skinless chicken breast.

I do like pork, just not Ham. We ate a lot of baby back ribs while growing up. Pork tenderloin too. My mom NEVER bought or served Ham. It doesnt make much sense.

Here's a new use for the Southern Style Chicken Breast from McDonald's. I used them to make made my version of a fried chicken salad w/ homeade honey mustard dressing.

Romaine, corn, Dubliner cheddar, cuckes, scallions, hard cooked eggs, carrots and glazed pecans. I diced up the breast on top. It was pretty darn good if I do say so myself.

gallery_25969_665_125730.jpg

Whoa, crab and chorizo quiche – man, that looks good.

Bruce, that quiche was even better the next day at room temp. I used quite a bit of gruyere cheese in it and the flavour seemed to develop and mature a little.

Yesterday, we had roasted monkfish with chorizo rice (ok it was a stripped down paella). I made a deep shellfish stock for the rice which was so tasty we drank the leftover straight as soup!

gallery_52657_5922_99780.jpg

Today, with some of the leftover monkfish bits i did a frito misto with goats cheese, prawns and sprats. Served with a fat crouton, salad and garlicky mayo. It was a good way to clear the shrapnel in the freezer.

gallery_52657_5922_61500.jpg

I was testing an idea for my pickled peach consomme so that became last nights dinner.

gallery_53467_4795_224581.jpg

pork belly - salad of dandelion greens, peaches and chive blossoms - pickled peach consomme

The pork belly was roasted on a bed of onions with (It's good... honest!) peach tea snapple. The pickled peach consomme tastes like a light spiced peach vinaigrette minus the oil so I just dressed the salad with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper.

WOW! that looks like a restaurant dish. A really nice restaurant.

At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since. ‐ Salvador Dali

gallery_1890_1967_31281.jpg

These are trimmings and peelings from roughly 2 lbs. asparagus. Add 3 1/4 cups water. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Strain. Makes 3 cups asparagus stock.

gallery_1890_1967_222347.jpg

Pea soup (onion/carrot/celery stewed in EVOO and water, pinch of salt; asparagus stock, shelled peas; simmer for 20 minutes, then puree in a blender) with creme fraiche and chives.

Salad (baby lettuces, tatsoi, heirloom radishes) with a tarragon viniagrette

Fromage blanc with rhubarb conserve

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

Dinner tonight appears fairly messy but it was very filliing and satisfying :)

Plain, boring vermicelli noodles got jazzed up and became exciting and flashy with marinated pork (normally, beef is eaten in this dish; also, I bought the pork readily marinated from a good butcher), pickled carrots, thinly sliced onions, bean sprouts, cucumbers, and lettuce all topped off with peanut sauce, the crushed peanut themselves, nuoc cham, and a drizzle of chopped spring onion-oil.

2613432602_1628de2d19_o.jpg

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

this was John's dinner last night when he finally got home...served on the book the recipe came from.

heat olive oil with garlic slivers, grated ginger, cumin and smoked paprika until fragrant. dump in shrimp. three minutes or so later ladle onto a plate with some of the juice. drizzle with some lemon juice and serve with homemade foccacia to soak up the juices. oh... and there was some steamed asparagus in another dish.

gallery_4006_121_591642.jpg

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites