• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2008

Shelby

I thought it was good, but I eat ribeyes so rarely that I'm probably not a great judge.  I'd say it's definitely worth a try.

Have purchased all of my family meats at Costco for over two years now. Fantastic quality, rigorous inspection, and great prices.

Ribeyes in NY are usually $5.99 per pound, boneless, 3 to a pack

Usually around 1.1 pounds per steak. I find that two of them, when sliced

after grilling, easily feed three adults. Have had the filet mignon, the ribeye, the skirt steak, sausages, chicken and mostly every meat there unprepared. Watch the portions, as these are huge pieces of meat. For a family, its a great deal...

I do the no-no. Buy the best marbled choice steaks Costco has to offer and Dry age them myself in the fridge. I once had a set that I thought was better than Lobels.

I thought it was good, but I eat ribeyes so rarely that I'm probably not a great judge.  I'd say it's definitely worth a try.

Have purchased all of my family meats at Costco for over two years now. Fantastic quality, rigorous inspection, and great prices.

Ribeyes in NY are usually $5.99 per pound, boneless, 3 to a pack

Usually around 1.1 pounds per steak. I find that two of them, when sliced

after grilling, easily feed three adults. Have had the filet mignon, the ribeye, the skirt steak, sausages, chicken and mostly every meat there unprepared. Watch the portions, as these are huge pieces of meat. For a family, its a great deal...

gallery_31660_4726_27274.jpg

Citrus risotto with seared sea scallops.

OH. YEAH. BABE.

Where the heck is that droolie emoticon when you need it?

Serious, SERIOUS drooling going on.

Have good scallops. And know how to sear them. Have arborio rice. Can get citrus. How DID you make the citrus risotto?

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Klary - that quiche is just gorgeous - I love a deep, custardy quiche. And the light in your home is so inviting! And ooooooooh - the pasta with purslane, bacon, poached egg. What an utterly beautiful and delicious looking dish! What is the taste of purslane like? I've never had it that I know of.

Daniel - the soft shell meal rang my bell! Growing up going to the eastern shore most weekends, I have really missed good soft shells!

Shelby - that does it, we're having salmon cakes soon! Those are perfect!!!

Megan - so glad to see you posting!! That chicken salad is just the best hot weather food there is!

Jeff - my scallops want to look like your scallops when they grow up :wub: !

MiFi - your crumble and ice cream look so good! I just love seeing the little flecks of vanilla. And to think, when I was a little girl I called vanilla "plain ice cream"!

jeremyn - I have the exact same problem with polenta. But it still tastes good, so I am resigned to it! We find the Costco steaks to be very good - much better than the ones we get at a regular grocery store. Not as good as the ones we get at our butcher (see below), but good and so much more affordable - that steak I am posting below was $35 - we can afford Costco steaks much more often!

Dinner last night was rib eye steak and merguez from our wonderful butcher shop. We also had roast asparagus, Campari tomatoes, garlic toast and salad:

gallery_34972_3580_215220.jpg

gallery_34972_3580_134966.jpg

It was a little overcooked, as you can see - although it was better in the center of the steak - we took it off the grill at 120 degrees, so I guess we'll shoot for 115 next time:

gallery_34972_3580_108265.jpg

The steak and sausage were wonderful. We really notice a difference in the meat from the butcher shop. The steak was also enormous! Our dinner plates are oversized and it almost didn't fit! We had enough for both of us to have dinner, plus Mr. Kim is eating the remainder for lunch today!

Last night was a last-minute-go-through-the-pantry-dinner! Quesadillas with Mexican-seasoned ground turkey, cheddar and refried beans. Adobo rice and beans. Salsa verde and sour cream.

gallery_24065_1826_6976.jpg

Oh, merguez, merguez. *sigh. I miss it so much. One of my favourite things to eat in Hanoi was a plate of merguez frites.

I'm so tired this week, I'm one step away from eating at the 7/11. Dinner tonight was cold soba and men tsuyu from a bottle. The only thing I did was chop green onions and boil water.

Klary  - that quiche is just gorgeous - I love a deep, custardy quiche.  And the light in your home is so inviting!  And ooooooooh - the pasta with purslane, bacon, poached egg.  What an utterly beautiful and delicious looking dish!  What is the taste of purslane like?  I've never had it that I know of. 

Daniel  - the soft shell meal rang my bell!  Growing up going to the eastern shore most weekends, I have really missed good soft shells!

Shelby  - that does it, we're having salmon cakes soon!  Those are perfect!!!

Megan  - so glad to see you posting!!  That chicken salad is just the best hot weather food there is!

Jeff  - my scallops want to look like your scallops when they grow up :wub: !

MiFi  - your crumble and ice cream look so good!  I just love seeing the little flecks of vanilla.  And to think, when I was a little girl I called vanilla "plain ice cream"!

jeremyn  - I have the exact same problem with polenta.  But it still tastes good, so I am resigned to it!  We find the Costco steaks to be very good - much better than the ones we get at a regular grocery store.  Not as good as the ones we get at our butcher (see below), but good and so much more affordable - that steak I am posting below was $35 - we can afford Costco steaks much more often!

Dinner last night was rib eye steak and merguez from our wonderful butcher shop.  We also had roast asparagus, Campari tomatoes, garlic toast and salad:

gallery_34972_3580_134966.jpg

It was a little overcooked, as you can see - although it was better in the center of the steak - we took it off the grill at 120 degrees, so I guess we'll shoot for 115 next time:

gallery_34972_3580_108265.jpg

The steak and sausage were wonderful.  We really notice a difference in the meat from the butcher shop.  The steak was also enormous!  Our dinner plates are oversized and it almost didn't fit!  We had enough for both of us to have dinner, plus Mr. Kim is eating the remainder for lunch today!

If you stare at the animal crackers long enough you can see a very nice steak and sausage, with very nice tomatos and asparagus. J/k the steak looks very tasty, great pics!

monavano that quesadilla looks wonderfully crispy :wub:

Continuing the pasta-and-poached egg trend that seems to have been triggered by SobaAddict's foodblog (at least it was for me), I had spaghetti, garlic, kale, oyster mushrooms, ricotta salata and a poached egg.

gallery_54928_4824_136210.jpg

Rather puny looking yolk shot...

gallery_54928_4824_126073.jpg

Edited by eskay (log)

Kate

monavano that quesadilla looks wonderfully crispy  :wub:

Continuing the pasta-and-poached egg trend that seems to have been triggered by SobaAddict's foodblog (at least it was for me), I had spaghetti, garlic, kale, oyster mushrooms, ricotta salata and a poached egg.

gallery_54928_4824_136210.jpg

Rather puny looking yolk shot...

gallery_54928_4824_126073.jpg

AHA! Canadian eggs used to be rather sad to my stupid, yank, farm fresh egg snob eyes. It's been many years since I was in Canada, but I do remember the eggs as being rather flat-yolked and less colorfully yolked than what I was used to. Sorry, but the memory stays with me! :blush:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I'm finally getting over the jetlag after my 12 days in the US, so I'm starting to cook again. Tonight's dinner: Sherry and Orange Chicken with a Warm Fennel and Orange Salad and Parsley Rice:

gallery_43137_2974_45068.jpg

For dessert: the Scottish cranachan (again!) aka whiskey-oats-whipped cream-raspberries.

Thanks, Kim  :smile: 

What does that delicious looking sausage taste like?

Shelby - it is so good! When I've had it, it's been made with lamb, but supposedly you can also make it with beef. Really flavorful. It should be spicy and I've had it from not-too to right-much. It's usually got paprika, harissa, garlic and cayenne. This was on the not-too level (which is good for me) and very, very good. We are planning to finish it up tonight on pasta with some marinara and spinach.

Hello-all of your meals and photos are delicious-I've been away too long! I've been busy doing a very lengthy report on a recent trip to Las Vegas. (You can catch it over in the Southwest and Western States Forum under "Vegas Uncork'd").

I'm loving seeing all of your delicious steaks and summer meals.

A couple of recent dishes to share-

Grilled Shrimp with Orange-Soy Vinaigrette and Vegetable Slaw-

gallery_41580_4407_16019.jpg

Loin of Lamb with Herb Crust, Asparagus Sauce, French Onion Tart-

(Sorry, but I let the lamb go about 3 or 4 minutes too long in the oven. It turned out more on the "medium" side rather than a preferred "medium-rare.")

gallery_41580_4407_20127.jpg

Loin of Lamb with Herb Crust, Asparagus Sauce, French Onion Tart-

(Sorry, but I let the lamb go about 3 or 4 minutes too long in the oven.  It turned out more on the "medium" side rather than a preferred "medium-rare.")

gallery_41580_4407_20127.jpg

Urgh send it back, tell the chef it's inedible!! :raz: no, seriously David that dish looks wonderful - glad you're back :smile:

Another Prawn Dish-this time a bit of a different take on Caesar salad. I marinated the prawns in my own Caesar dressing and then put them under the broiler. Instead of large pieces of romaine I cut the leaves into shreds and tossed the lettuce with more of the dressing. Instead of croutons, this time I made an anchovy butter and spooned some of that on top of toasted rounds of bread. The recipe for the anchovy butter came from a Daniel Boulud cookbook.

gallery_41580_4407_41814.jpg

Still giddy with the excitement of having a local fish market, we had another seafood overload dinner. First, we cut a beautiful tuna loin into steaks. I marinated half with fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, and oil, and then seared the tuna steaks in a smoking-hot cast-iron pan. Mrs. C crusted the remaining tuna steaks with pecans and egg wash, and seared them in butter.

We picked up a few jumbo shrimp, and stir-fried them with chiles, garlic, cayenne, salt, and sugar. We also heated up a decent cream of crab soup from the fish market. Leftover rice, ginger-lime dipping sauce, and a vegetable garnish plate of cucumbers, mint leaves, and Thai basil completed the meal.

gallery_42956_2536_1649.jpg

Nice looking dish C.sap.

Here are a couple of dishes from the week.

I made some spanish calamari rice and served with a 1/4 chicken marinated in some 5spice and rice vinegar. Came out great. I normally like the make the rice as black and dark as I can but not enough ink.

gallery_56834_5307_383314.jpg

Second dish is monk fish with some mango chutney. In the plate also is a rice vinegar slaw. The mango chutney was store bought and was very tasty.

gallery_56834_5307_437560.jpg

gallery_56834_5307_305283.jpg

Another Prawn Dish-this time a bit of a different take on Caesar salad.  I marinated the prawns in my own Caesar dressing and then put them under the broiler.  Instead of large pieces of romaine I cut the leaves into shreds and tossed the lettuce with more of the dressing.  Instead of croutons, this time I made an anchovy butter and spooned some of that on top of toasted rounds of bread.  The recipe for the anchovy butter came from a Daniel Boulud cookbook. 

Your creations always inspire me!

Another Prawn Dish-this time a bit of a different take on Caesar salad.  I marinated the prawns in my own Caesar dressing and then put them under the broiler.  Instead of large pieces of romaine I cut the leaves into shreds and tossed the lettuce with more of the dressing.  Instead of croutons, this time I made an anchovy butter and spooned some of that on top of toasted rounds of bread.  The recipe for the anchovy butter came from a Daniel Boulud cookbook. 

Your creations always inspire me!

Thanks. I have a lot of fun making up these dishes!