• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2008

Shelby

Forgot to take a picture....

I made a garlicky cilantro almond pesto and marinated whole trout in it, then pan fried them with a light dusting of flour/cornmeal.

Served over a bed of brown rice that was cooked with minced shallots and bell peppers. And a few spears of steamed asparagus.

A delicious dinner and I'm not much of a fish eater, but am trying to be. I'll remember to take pictures next time. Scallops are up next!

Devin

and here's another asparagus dish I did tonight: tagliatelle with asparagus, wild smoked salmon, a chive cream sauce, topped with scallops

gallery_21505_2929_100171.jpg

I almost posted, "where are the asparagus?" then realized, they're WHITE, dummy! :laugh:

Just beautiful meals, Klary - as usual!!

Edited by Kim Shook (log)

My buddy rolled over with a fatty dry aged ribeye..(2 lbs) He told me he was coming but, surprised me with two really nice soft shell crabs.. They were half molted and the shell was almost forming.. Everything was edible, but it had a really nice crunch.. I would call these guys Hotels.

I dipped the crabs in some frying mixture I picked up along the coast in South Carolina.. It was fine like wondra but, even more so.. When you poured the mixture out, it like weaponized leaving us all coughing.. Cooked in butter and a shot of Olive Oil.. The nice guys threw in two extra claws.. Made a mayo then added srirachi.. Took Savoy Cabbage and made a champagne vinegar hot dressing with mustard seeds as a slaw type thing.. Served on hot and buttery brioche rolls.. Me and my buddy literally walked a mile to pick up these buns.. Complaining along the way, ("were walking a half hour for a bun?") he thanked me as he took his first bite. Served with a Muscadet..

Dry Aged ribeye got pan cooked in a cast iron.. Covered in salt, duck fat on the pan, finished off in a 400 degree oven.. Served baby potatoes from the Green Market with roasted garlic, little thyme, olive oil, then the drippings from the steak pan.. French beans involved on the side with a dressing made from egg yolk and banyuls.. Dorigo '01 for the wine folks. http://www.ditalia.com/product/Dorigo_Pign...o/103Overpriced over priced shite.

Levaine or however you spell it cookies and milk..

Cafe con leche and spirits.

Edited by Daniel (log)

Thanks for the compliments guys. Peter, the duck breast was a moulard duck form gepperth's meat market in halsted in chicago. It was frozen.

In my opinion I have gotten better results getting duck breasts from costco or even the duck breasts I get from regular supermarkets when buying a whole duck. The duck was tasty but just not as tender as the other ones I have made.

As Qwerty and ndy pointed out the fat ratio is a bit high, didnt taste like a 1:1 but certainly not optimal. I didnt break it down or render it because It was my 3rd try with the same duck and its taste was not too overwhelming, and again that wasnt even the problem. The duck was just not as tender as the other ones I had purchased from other places.

Qwerty I put the skin side down so the meat resembled the other fruits that I sliced in the salad bowl.

I was a bit disillusioned because I have heard many people swear by moulard duck and my first experience was kind of dissapointing (because of the expectations) the taste was just fine. Out of the 4 experiments the salad was the best of all 4. Perhaps it was not as soft as others it is because it was frozen. Any hints, tips or opinions would be most welcome.

Last night it was short ribs cooked sous vide for 25 hours at 151F. They were seasoned with Chinese five-spice. I brushed them with a hoisin sauce-spiked BBQ sauce which I glazed under the broiler.

Sides included a sweet potato puree (pictured underneath) and braised baby bok choy.

gallery_51910_5987_252259.jpg

Edited by Vicious Wadd (log)

The pork had wonderful marbling to it.. It was really juicy, a little sweeter then normal pork.. It was some of the best quality pork I have ever had.. Needless to say, I just took a few pieces of pork and plated it like this for a photo.. Everyone got a whole chop.. Also, I feel bad about the photo because the top piece was an end.. But hey, the fact that I got a photo off was pretty impressive.. Haha..

The greens are from Wynngate farms at the greenmarket in Manhattan.. I am embarassed to say how much that costs at retail.. One of the more memorable salads I have had however.

Also, in terms of bluefish ceviche.. Bluefish and Monk are my two favorites to cevicherize.. They hold up texturally really well..

I would also recommend KingFish!

Edited by sadistick (log)

here´s a white asparagus and ham quiche I made last week.

gallery_21505_2929_103468.jpg

gallery_21505_2929_7588.jpg

You know Klary i've only been posting on the Dinner! thread for a little over a year, and you've made a lot of delicious looking food. But i truly think that this dish is up there with the most delicious i've seen by anyone! It's fantastic, could we have a little more detail; what kind of cheese, ham, did you blind bake the shortcrust first, etc...?

If this thread had an annual awards ceremony i would nominate this dish :smile:

In fact it might be an idea....

I've gone all Italian past couple of days, yesterday was Prawn, Pea & Pancetta Risotto and today was Pizza Pie (just like my mama used to make - er not):

gallery_52657_5922_157310.jpg

gallery_52657_5922_86952.jpg

You know Klary i've only been posting on the Dinner! thread for a little over a year, and you've made a lot of delicious looking food.  But i truly think that this dish is up there with the most delicious i've seen by anyone!  It's fantastic, could we have a little more detail; what kind of cheese, ham, did you blind bake the shortcrust first, etc...?

If this thread had an annual awards ceremony i would nominate this dish :smile:

In fact it might be an idea....

dear Prawncrackers, you are too kind :blush:

as for the quiche: it was a simple crust, blind baked for 10 minutes. I sweated a small onion in some butter, mixed that with the cooked asparagus (minus the spears) and some boiled, lightly smoked ham. Put this into the crust. Mixed two eggs with 100 ml. of heavy cream, and to that added a little bit of parmesan, nutmeg, salt and pepper. I added chopped dill to the egg mix, which is the one thing I would do differently next time: when you pour the cream mixture on the asparagus, the dill sort of floats on top. Next time I would add the dill to the asparagus. Arrange the asparagus spears on top and bake!

Quick dinner at home. Seared pork tenderloin, slow roasted at 150 degrees. Made a quick sauce with the roasting juices, some garlic and mushrooms. Served with some balsamic-pickled cipollini onions, camembert cheese, green oak lettuce dressed with cracked pepper and fleur de sel. Paired with an inexpensive Burgundy, 75% cocoa chocolate for dessert.

I may have missed something somewhere...  what are Marlene's Balsamic Glazed Pork Chops?

Sorry, Bella! Marlene is our own Marlene - of eG and cookskorner.com, which is where you'll find her recipe for the Balsamic Glazed Pork Chops. Marlene is my meat guru here! Everything that I've ever made from her has been fantastic - not just meats, either!

wow some great looking food. i haven't felt like doing too much lately but yesterday we decided we needed some comfort food at home. johnnybird wanted rice and i wanted chicken so.... arroz con pollo.

gallery_4006_121_476848.jpg

ready to go into the oven

gallery_4006_121_659744.jpg

ready to serve

gallery_4006_121_3922.jpg

dessert for john, blueberry cake. great tasting recipe with a great crumb but, unless i can find tiny Maine blueberries, i'm going back to my base recipe. the two layers of blueberries all sank to the bottom of the pan. the shinyness on top is toast dope i used instead of plain turbinado sugar.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

and here's another asparagus dish I did tonight: tagliatelle with asparagus, wild smoked salmon, a chive cream sauce, topped with scallops

gallery_21505_2929_100171.jpg

Long time ago, somebody dubbed me "Goddess of Lily Gilding."

I'm retiring. Think you can handle a crown with twelve pounds of sequins and a kindergarten's wortha glitter? Here ya go.

Hash brown, bacon, egg and cheese fritatta.

Hash brown side

gallery_6080_205_226908.jpg

serving side and sliced

gallery_6080_205_164164.jpg

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Wow! Marlene, could you please post the details of how you did that with the hash browns on the bottom? DH and I have been seriously enjoying fritattas lately and that one looks SO good!

I have this cool fritatta pan that I got from WS. Grate a baking potato and mix it with salt and let it sit, then wring the potatoes out. Mix in a bit of flour with the potatoes and put in the bottom of a pan with a pat of butter. Start to brown the hash browns first, then add the egg mixture that has bacon and cheese and pepper in it. When it is set, you flip it over to finish the eggs, and then flip it back again to finish the hash browns. More or less. :biggrin: the actual recipe is on the WS site, I just used bacon instead of ham, and my son thinks it needs carmelized onions in it as well.

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Why'd you have to go and hide that beautifully browned hash-brown side?

Sorry. I just wanted to show both sides. :biggrin:

Marlene

gallery_4006_121_3922.jpg

dessert for john, blueberry cake.  great tasting recipe with a great crumb but, unless i can find tiny Maine blueberries, i'm going back to my base recipe.  the two layers of blueberries all sank to the bottom of the pan.  the shinyness on top is toast dope i used instead of plain turbinado sugar.

Suzi, did you dredge the berries in flour first? Sometimes that will keep them afloat. HTH!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

The BEST salmon cakes I've ever made along with rice and roasted asparagus.

Where's the recipe from? I have some salmon I need to use up, and anything fried sounds good right about now!

I kinda just made my own recipe lol.

Salmon

2 eggs

Flavored croutons smashed to bits with my meat tenderizer

Fresh dill

Dash of olive oil

Fresh onion greens chopped up

Black pepper

(I didn't need any salt because the croutons were really seasoned)

Mix that all up and make into patties. Place on parchment paper on a plate in the fridge for around 20 minutes. This "sets" them so they don't fall apart so easily. Then I put a bit of olive oil on my pizza stone and arranged the patties. Popped them in the oven at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes. Then I opened the oven and flipped the patties over and let them bake for another 15 mins. or so.

I made a sauce from a dash of mustard (the grainy kind), a couple pats of butter, dill and a dash of cocktail sauce (I know, weird). It was really good!

edited to add:

This was my first time baking salmon patties and I actually liked them better than when I fried them before.

Edited by Shelby (log)

Today I did a lot of cooking, I made Claypot Chicken Rice with Chinese Sausage for me and Pork Afritada stew for Hubby. We've got several meals in the fridge.

Yesterday, I looked in the fridge and found roasted chickens that I bought the other day that were done too dry. I took the meat off the bones, boiled the heck of the bones, made stock for Chicken Noodle Soup (for Hubbyl) and made chinese dumplings with the half of the meat that I took off.

Oh, I also had a bunch of garlic scapes that needed to be used up so I made garlic scape pesto. I've got 3 bottles of pesto now in the fridge (worth about $42 here in Korea, considering the steep price of pesto here). Thank you thank you for posting the garlic scape pesto recipe. (I forgot who did but then my mind has been a sieve lately).

I've got happy, full fridge.

Edited by Domestic Goddess (log)

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Great dish marlene!

This dish is a safron pasta with shrimp. I put some proscuitto when I made the garlic/wine/butter sauce to give it a different edge. The tomato was added at the end and not cooked , came out well. I also added some capers at the end. The cheese on top is shreded gruyere.

gallery_56834_5307_446262.jpg

gallery_56834_5307_350561.jpg

gallery_56834_5307_171645.jpg