• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2008

Shelby

Cinco de Mayo!

Clam ceviche was delicious. So good, in fact, that I decided it was a good time to invent the Clampirinha!

gallery_16643_1028_32364.jpg

Over the top? You bet. If anyone attempts this un-holy shooter, make sure all elements are well-chilled.

Chicken Enchilada - the sour cream version, no tomatos,

gallery_16643_1028_3943.jpg

And then our anaheim and poblano chili relenos with saffron rice - red sox on the side.

gallery_16643_1028_15046.jpg

Viva Puebla!

:cool:

Edited by johnnyd (log)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

gallery_41378_5233_347689.jpg

A fusion plate - carrot and radish peel kinpira, rice with fried tofu and new ginger, some sesame chicken of my own devising, and a few edamame on the plate for colour contrast. Normally, I would plate this Japanese style, since my husband and I would be eating together, but he took off down to the pub to meet some friends, so tonight I dine alone! No point in dirtying more than one dish in that case.

gallery_55271_5662_841666.jpg

Oh, gosh, I completely missed Cinco de Mayo! I hate missing an excuse to drink Corona and eat tacos! Now I'll have to wait for next year!

pan-roasted duck leg and duck fat fried potatoes with quatre épices

gallery_18974_1420_80850.jpg

Hey Tupac! I havent seen you in over a year.. Hope all is well.. Really pretty looking dish.. Can you tell me a little about your Quatre épices..

Cinco de Mayo!

Clam ceviche was delicious.  So good, in fact, that I decided it was a good time to invent the Clamparinha!

gallery_16643_1028_32364.jpg

Over the top?  You bet.  If anyone attempts this un-holy shooter, make sure all elements are well-chilled.

Chicken Enchilada - the sour cream version, no tomatos,

gallery_16643_1028_3943.jpg

And then our anaheim and poblano chili relenos with saffron rice - red sox on the side.

gallery_16643_1028_15046.jpg

Viva Puebla!

:cool:

First off, the poblanos with saffron rice looks and sounds fantastic..however, I think it would have tasted a lot better if you were watching the Yankees instead *ducking* :P

Seriously though, what do you add to your clam ceviche besides the basic acids? I like to whip up 'clam shooters, with fresh tomato and lime juice, vodka, cilantro and hot sauce. It's a great start to a meal. :)

Edited by Lisa2k (log)

Flickr Shtuff -- I can't take a decent photo to save my life, but it all still tastes good.

My new Blog: Parsley, Sage, Desserts and Line Drives

"I feel the end approaching. Quick, bring me my dessert, coffee and liqueur."

Anthelme Brillat-Savarin's great aunt Pierette (1755-1826)

~Lisa~

Breakfast for dinner. Since I hadn't been able to stop at the market after work, I had to go with what I had on hand. I only had two eggs left , so I decided on some form of an eggs benedict, minus the Hollandaise, since I only had the two eggs :(. However, it really didn't need it, as it was served along with some wild watercress, with red grapes, grated ricotta salata, and a light, hot mustard emulsion. I buttered two slices of toasted Raisin-Flax seed ciabatta I'd baked the night before, with plugra, topped that with thick applewood smoked bacon, then the poached eggs with medium ground black tellicherry pepper, and touch fleur de sel on each. Unfortunately, the watercress salad photos came out blurry, so I chose to omit them.

gallery_59301_5865_69468.jpg

gallery_59301_5865_67497.jpg

The contrast of the chewy raisins and toasted flax, with the creamy eggs and smokey, salty bacon, was truly a delight on the palate. At first my sig other scoffed at the idea of the raisins with the eggs, but one bite, and he was hooked. :)

Flickr Shtuff -- I can't take a decent photo to save my life, but it all still tastes good.

~Lisa~

First off, the poblanos with saffron rice looks and sounds fantastic..however, I think it would have tasted a lot better if you were watching the Yankees instead *ducking* :P

Seriously though, what do you add to your clam ceviche besides the basic acids? I like to whip up 'clam shooters, with fresh tomato and lime juice, vodka, cilantro and hot sauce. It's a great start to a meal. :)

The poblanos tasted just fine, thank you very much! :wink:

The "Clam-pirinha" seemed a logical extension for ceviche since it's prepared with lime juice and sugar. Earlier I had shucked 8 countnecks into the juice of one lime, a minced clove of garlic, a splash of orange juice, one minced thai pepper and a small pile of young cilantro with stalks.

As the peppers were roasting under the broiler, I had a couple clams and started preparing a regular caipirinha. It hit me that one of these clams might be pretty good in a little cachaça. I chilled about half a shot and added a clam with about a tablespoon of ceviche mixture. [edit to add: includes clam liquor] Down the hatch! It was good enough for another and that's the picture.

Edited by johnnyd (log)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

Portland Food Map.com

Sunday night's dinner was Nigella Lawson's Sage Roasted Chicken and Sausage Bake. That one is a definite keeper. There are a lot of posts about it in "Recipes That Rock 2008". I wrote about the few changes that we made to the recipe there. You should really check that thread. You can link to the recipe over there.

That's two for two as far as Nigella Lawson is concerned. Her Butterflied Roasted Lemon Chicken has made us cease trying out any other roasted chicken recipe.

Has anyone else had success with any of her other recipes?

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes

gallery_1890_1967_118412.jpg

Spring turnip and leek soup with toasted bread crumbs and sage

I'd love that recipe purty please???????????????? :raz:

Recipe is on the blog.

Method is pretty straightforward -- sweat vegetables in butter, check seasoning, add chicken stock and herbs, check seasoning, puree in a blender, return to pot, whisk in cream (or in this case creme fraiche), check seasoning and serve. Proportions are up to you since I rarely cook by following a recipe.

For this soup I used some peeled heirloom potatoes since I didn't have any regular ones on hand. Turnips, turnip greens, leeks, potatoes and onion. The breadcrumbs were from a stale sourdough roll (3 slices in a 250 F oven for 30 minutes, then pulsed in a food processor until finely ground).

==========

gallery_1890_1967_232695.jpg

Fusilli with asparagus and smoked ham

pan-roasted duck leg and duck fat fried potatoes with quatre épices

gallery_18974_1420_80850.jpg

Hey Tupac! I havent seen you in over a year.. Hope all is well.. Really pretty looking dish.. Can you tell me a little about your Quatre épices..

Thanks, Daniel! I had been AWOL from this thread for quite a while. And it's not like I haven't been cooking!

Re: the quatre épices... it was a mixture of black pepper, nutmeg, clove and cinnamon. Not sure about the proportions since I picked it up on a recent trip to Paris (needed a pinch to re-create the Arpège egg), but judging from the aroma and flavor I'd guess they're roughly equal parts.

Dusted both the potatoes and the duck with it. The potatoes I pan-fried in a cast iron skillet with some rendered duck fat; and I thought they turned out great.

I thought the duck could've used a little extra something, though. I added a touch of sherry vinegar to the pan sauce at the end, but once I tasted the final product, I thought it needed the depth of another seasoning (cumin, for some smokiness, maybe?) much more than it needed the brighter acidity that the vinegar brought.

It's a dish I'll keep playing with, I think. Next time with chicken.

gallery_1890_1967_118412.jpg

Spring turnip and leek soup with toasted bread crumbs and sage

I'd love that recipe purty please???????????????? :raz:

Recipe is on the blog.

Method is pretty straightforward -- sweat vegetables in butter, check seasoning, add chicken stock and herbs, check seasoning, puree in a blender, return to pot, whisk in cream (or in this case creme fraiche), check seasoning and serve. Proportions are up to you since I rarely cook by following a recipe.

For this soup I used some peeled heirloom potatoes since I didn't have any regular ones on hand. Turnips, turnip greens, leeks, potatoes and onion. The breadcrumbs were from a stale sourdough roll (3 slices in a 250 F oven for 30 minutes, then pulsed in a food processor until finely ground).

==========

gallery_1890_1967_232695.jpg

Fusilli with asparagus and smoked ham

Thanks!

1)Microgreens with poached egg, crostini with thinly sliced lardo..

2)Ramp and ricotta ravioli, brown butter, parm, and guanciale.

3)Coffee crusted venison loin, sunchoke puree, wine and mushroom reduction.

4)Cheese from Greenmarket.. Was not a fan of two out of the three selected.. Stinging nettle cheese was interesting though/

5)Strawberry marscapone tart with strawberry milkshake shot..

Had a party at my house the other day for Miss K..

Cooking was our house keeper and her Aunt, both from Mexico..

Started with guacamole and black beans cooked with this green herb.. I don't remember the name but it added a ton of flavor.. It wasnt epazote but, it looked like it.. Long flavorful dried out leaves.. Homemade chips and queso fresco.

2475950184_afd24feb05.jpg

Chicken enchiladas.. Chicken boiled in saltwater, tortilla dipped in sauce and rolled..

2475135785_afba123301.jpg

Covered with cabbage, raddish, crema, and queso fresca.. This was like one of 4 of these dishes..

2475953798_d212a215b6.jpg

Spicy chilaquiles..

2475952848_824834606b.jpg

Cactus salad.. There is some jalapeno in there

2475134007_7860d864ca.jpg

Boiled pigs feet in an aromatic broth..

2475951890_2af4cecae9.jpg

Served with pickled peppers and carrots giving it a wonderful vinegar burst..

2475134813_d8235ac9a5.jpg

Tamales with pineapple sauce..

2475955662_9964cefca7.jpg

Whenever you here a soft patting sound coming out of a Mexican kitchen, its a very good thing.. Here are Gordita Boats being made..

2475951068_54a5eabc64.jpg

Cecina or air dried salted beef gorditas..

2475955250_397b69e64e.jpg

Porkbelly sandwiches..

2475956040_a8e5e3b23b.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

Nakji - The meal took some preparation before hand. I did some of the sauces ahead of time and tried to make as much as I could before that way it wasnt too labor intensive although it came out that way.

Potato salad with french toast - Well I made the potato salad the day before so it is served nice and cold. My friend loooooves potato salad so that was her request. Pretty good though.

The poblanos tasted just fine, thank you very much!  :wink:

The "Clam-pirinha" seemed a logical extension for ceviche since it's prepared with lime juice and sugar.  Earlier I had shucked 8 countnecks into the juice of one lime, a minced clove of garlic, a splash of orange juice, one minced thai pepper and a small pile of young cilantro with stalks. 

As the peppers were roasting under the broiler, I had a couple clams and started preparing a regular caipirinha.  It hit me that one of these clams might be pretty good in a little cachaça.  I chilled about half a shot and added a clam with about a tablespoon of ceviche mixture. [edit to add: includes clam liquor] Down the hatch!  It was good enough for another and that's the picture.

Yep..pairing well with the RS fine play as of late *grumbling* :hmmm:

That said..I love the sound of your pirinha and cachaca , and when I run into some nice littlenecks (my fav for ceviche), I think I just may give it a shot (no pun intended). I especially like the addition of the orange juice to your ceviche, and was thinking of using blood orange for a more reddish-pinkish hue. I'll post photos when I get to it. Thanks for the ideas, and your dishes looks scrumptious!

Edited by Lisa2k (log)

~Lisa~

The poblanos tasted just fine, thank you very much!  :wink:

The "Clam-pirinha" seemed a logical extension for ceviche since it's prepared with lime juice and sugar.  Earlier I had shucked 8 countnecks into the juice of one lime, a minced clove of garlic, a splash of orange juice, one minced thai pepper and a small pile of young cilantro with stalks. 

As the peppers were roasting under the broiler, I had a couple clams and started preparing a regular caipirinha.  It hit me that one of these clams might be pretty good in a little cachaça.  I chilled about half a shot and added a clam with about a tablespoon of ceviche mixture. [edit to add: includes clam liquor] Down the hatch!  It was good enough for another and that's the picture.

Yep..pairing well with the RS fine play as of late *grumbling* :hmmm:

That said..I love the sound of your pirinha and cachaca , and when I run into some nice littlenecks (my fav for ceviche), I think I just may give it a shot (no pun intended). I especially like the addition of the orange juice to your ceviche, and was thinking of using blood orange for a more reddish-pinkish hue. I'll post photos when I get to it. Thanks for the ideas, and your dishes looks scrumptious!

A local chef takes fresh lime juice, splash of orange juice, a capfull of rice wine vinegar for his gulf of Maine shrimp ceviche base. Garlic, thai pepper and cilantro rounds it out. Quite delicious.

Daniel: That is a killer dinner. Muy auténtico!

Portland Food Map.com

Whenever you here a soft patting sound coming out of a Mexican kitchen, its a very good thing.. Here are Gordita Boats being made..

2475951068_54a5eabc64.jpg

Cecina or air dried salted beef gorditas..

2475955250_397b69e64e.jpg

Porkbelly sandwiches..

2475956040_a8e5e3b23b.jpg

Daniel, you just made my day. Gorditas are beautiful, beautiful things. Thank you.