• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2008

Shelby

eldereno, when did you add the potatoes to the Nigella Lawson dish, or, did you cook them separately? Did you use Italian sausages? No one else mentioned any other type of sausagefor this dish. Also... did you use Coleman's dry mustard? I am really looking forward to making that recipe.

MiFi, please, please, please... how did you cook that magnificent Seven Hour Roast Lamb dish? I need something new to cook for a dinner party for eight people and that looks like a one dish wonder.

Thanks all!

Edited by Bella S.F. (log)

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes

Nice meals everybody.

I am a little behind on my postings....been really busy lately.

The first one is the last of the mango dishes. I used the rest of that mango I bought and made stuffed a chicken breast mango with a spicy beef reduction sauce on the side.

gallery_56834_5307_477636.jpg

The second one is a good ol steak sandwitch with tostones on the side.

gallery_56834_5307_626476.jpg

The second one is a good ol steak sandwitch with tostones on the side. 

gallery_56834_5307_626476.jpg

Dr. J - you do some lovely presentations, but this more rustic one just grabbed me. The crunch, the ooze, the plantains. Keep showing your earthly side. Thanks!

Ted - the pork and apples look wonderful. Please add to my list of stuff I'd love you to cook for me :biggrin: !

eldereno - Hi to my slightly north neighbor! The Nigella dish looks wonderful. I was also inspired by that thread. Someone (maybe Maggie) said that eGullet supplies a great bunch of test cooks whose expertise we can draw on - she's right, I will probably try that dish now that I see how nicely it turned out for you!

MiFi - I also want to know about your long roasted lamb!

monavano - Ramps! I just discovered them last year and hope I can find them again this year. I really like the idea of the crepes! Were the ramps in the batter or just inside the rolled crepes?

Chris - I love fish sticks! They are one of my guilty pleasures! They feel like a treat to me because we rarely had them growing up, but Mr. Kim grew up Catholic and had them almost every Friday of his childhood and detests them so I almost never serve them!

Dr. J - I second what heidih said - that steak sandwich was amazing looking and the photography was beautiful!

If you want to see what I'm eating this week, come on over to the Food Traditions & Culture forum - I'm blogging!

eldereno, when did you add the potatoes to the Nigella Lawson dish, or, did you cook them separately? Did you use Italian sausages? No one else mentioned any other type of sausagefor this dish. Also... did you use Coleman's dry mustard? I am really looking forward to making that recipe.

I did use Coleman's dry mustard. Most of the sausages were Italian sweet sausages but did throw a couple of hot Italian sausages in. Regarding the potatoes, I only had three of them left in my kitchen (kind of large yukon gold new potatoes) so just cut them in half and nestled them in with the chicken and sausages. The recipe I copied from the Food Network did not include the potatoes but I thought I remembered someone commenting that she included them when she made the recipe on the episode. Anyway, I worried that 1 1/4 hours at 425 degrees would be too much but I was too lazy to do them separately. I did not eat the potatoes but I did not get any complaints from those who did :rolleyes: .

Really yummy chicken!!!! The sausages are going to be as good as the sausages you get (or make......if you are into charcuterie).

I actually made 2 batches at once (just rotated the pans in the oven halfway through when I turned the sausages). What an easy thing to do for a crowd, to have leftovers, whenever lots of food is needed.

Hope this helps. You gotta try it.

Donna

Fairway has any size lobster for 9.99.. A bargain for the area.. Boiled two 2.50 pounders in salt water.. Served clarified butter, a lime creme fraiche I had at Morimotos a few years ago. The dish was with a spicy five spice lobster... A container of creme fraiche in the fridge and a left over lime made me try it.. Potato salad and a Muscadet. Started the water boiling before I took the dog out.. Came back and dinner was ready in 12 minutes.

Funny enough, I had a craving for old school gringo hard shell taco night a couple of weeks ago.. I bought the ground beef, the cheese, sour cream, jarred chiles, tomatoes, onions,made guacamole, shredded lettuce, and bought the whole taco kit.. That all came to 43 dollars.. Dinner tonight was 10 dollars more.

Edited by Daniel (log)

Chicken drumsticks with five-spice sauce

mixng it up

gallery_56306_5160_45738.jpg

2418169284_d2b1594f26_o.jpg

That chicken looks amazing Ce'nedra! Would you mind providing the recipe?

"If I asked you twice and begged you pretty please...?" :rolleyes:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Fairway has any size lobster for 9.99

Daniel~

For ANY size? Not per pound? Geez.... :hmmm:

5 spice+lime creme fraiche? Good combo?

Another 5 spice beauty. I love 5 spice.... :wub:

Had a few friends over for dinner. We had a semi-vegetarian amongst us so we kept the main course sans meat. Here's what we made.

Tuna 2 ways, baby brioche.

gallery_54082_4688_8337.jpg

gallery_54082_4688_10190.jpg

Potato cake, wild mushrooms, asparagus, mushroom velouté, Piave cheese.

gallery_54082_4688_24238.jpg

gallery_54082_4688_4665.jpg

Passion fruit/raspberry gelée with raspberry financiers.

gallery_54082_4688_7819.jpg

gallery_54082_4688_4043.jpg

Le Chef!

gallery_54082_4688_3535.jpg

Fairway has any size lobster for 9.99

Daniel~

For ANY size? Not per pound? Geez.... :hmmm:

5 spice+lime creme fraiche? Good combo?

Another 5 spice beauty. I love 5 spice.... :wub:

Yeh, per pound.. Sorry for that..

I didnt do the lobsters five spice, however, when I had it at Morimotos in Pa 6 years ago or so, it was wonderful.. Though, I am from the school that dont do anything to something unless it takes better then what it naturally taste like.. But its something interesting and unique..

Though, give me a steamed lobster and some napkins and I am happier.. But if I were cooking for other people, I would feel obligated to screw around with it.. :biggrin:

Another Parsi meal from My Bombay Kitchen: shrimp patia, masur dal, and basmati rice. Onions, chopped tomatoes, cilantro, and a spice paste of garlic, cumin, cayenne, and turmeric gave the patia a lovely mix of flavors. The shrimp were stir-fried separately with a rub of cayenne, turmeric, and salt, and then folded into the sauce. Tamarind, lime juice, and palm sugar added a sweet-sour tang at the finish.

Noses ran liberally at dinner, so next time I will reduce the heat a bit. The boys requested “American” food for an upcoming meal, which led to a debate about whether pizza was American or not.

gallery_42956_2536_39684.jpg

This is a test run for a catering event for 50 this weekend. I'm doing apps and desserts. This one is a Ginger, Sambal, Garlic, Olive Oil marinated shrimp, grilled..(three shrimp per plate) then draped with a slice of Shiro Miso-brown sugar glazed duck prosciutto, and served over a sake, miso, rice vinegar, and white honey redux, which I reduced too much. Regardless, I think I'm going to use a soy, sake, ponzu redux instead, NOT running to take a phonecall while it's reducing!!

gallery_59301_5865_10776.jpg

Edited by Lisa2k (log)

Flickr Shtuff -- I can't take a decent photo to save my life, but it all still tastes good.

My new Blog: Parsley, Sage, Desserts and Line Drives

"I feel the end approaching. Quick, bring me my dessert, coffee and liqueur."

Anthelme Brillat-Savarin's great aunt Pierette (1755-1826)

~Lisa~