• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2008

Shelby

Here's the final menu. Still no pics, because I forgot my camera again.

Apps.

Spicy shrimp skewers

Figs in honey and olive oil

Soup

Beet vichysoisse

Pea Soup

side-by-side with creme fraiche

Main

Beef tenderloin with bell pepper and mushroom stuffing and red pepper sauce

Lemon glazed parsnips

Asparagus with dijon viniagrette

Connecticut corn pudding

Salad

Baby greens with toasted pecans, English cucumbers and persimmons

Dessert

Pistachio Napoleons with berries

This was quite an experience; I'm tired now and we only worked on it a few hours each day. I hope that everything goes well and wish I didn't have to work, so I could be there for service. It was definitely fun. I got to make recipes I've never tried before - like pastry cream for the Napoleons. I'm not a pastry person, so I was a nervous wreck making these today - puff pastry and pastry cream!

I may be doing more cooking with my aunt in the coming weeks. Her doctor told her to stay off her foot for a few more weeks, so I will probably be going over to help get things done around the house, including cooking, hopefully!

Emily, that sounds AMAZING, and it also sounds like it stretched your limits, which is usually always a *good thing*. Congrats, and I'm happy for you having the experience with your aunt.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

We're celebrating our wedding anniversary and this year I wanted to cook. I spent a week agonizing over the menu. I mean torturing myself. It's fourteen years and I want it to be perfect. I started the sorbets yesterday. My goal is a tasting menu of many courses, with most of them finished before and plated at the last minute. Obviously, the duck has to go down right before we eat it. See duck problems below.

I usually foul up at least one thing a meal and this is a lot bigger than normal, so I am making extra.

Amuse Bouche: Smoked Salmon on Chinese Spoons with Olive Oil and Rosemary Roasted Lemon Slivers, Capers and Crème Fraiche.

Appetizer: Goat Cheese Souffle's with Baby Greens and Heirloom Tomatoes in a Champagne Vinaigrette.

Soup: Asparagus Vichyssoise with Toasted Asparagus and Lemon Garnish.

Salad: Caramelized Red Pear Napoleon with Brie, Toasted Walnuts (or maybe pecans?), and Watercress with a Balsamic Reduction.

Palate Cleanser: Pomegranate-Mango-Ginger Sorbet (ready to freeze).

Fish: Scallops in an Ancho Chili Glaze with Mango Chutney. This is from a local restaurant's cookbook.

Palate Cleanser: Meyer Lemon and Basil Sorbet (damn this is so good).

Entrée: Seared Duck Breast in a Red Wine Reduction with Demi Glace (don't get excited. I bought a premade demi glace), Roasted Wild Mushrooms and Roasted Baby Carrots (real baby carrots with the stems partly on. I would never cook these normally, but they were so cute).

Dessert: Chocolate Dipped Strawberry, Amazing chocolate thing I bought premade (sue me), and a Warm Three Berry Bread Pudding with Cinnamon Crème Anglaise.

Cheese Plate: Neal's Yard Farmhouse Cheddar (this is freaking GOOD), some kind of blue cheese, a local cows milk cheese that Zingerman's makes. While I was at the creamery, the guy put it in the case from the back. They make it right there and it's so good.

Petit Four: (This is in honor of my friend, Esther), See's Candy Chocolate Truffle.

I would nap all day Sunday, but my dear friend, Ann is coming up with her family. I'm making a cheesecake tomorrow for them, so it can age. On Sunday I'm roasting a couple chickens with veggies in the pan. I told her I would be slacking, but for some reason she says she's coming up to see me, and not just eat. Although she did say eating was part of it.

I am so jazzed to cook this meal. The kids are all going to be gone by noon and Gene is going to shampoo the carpets, so I will really be able to get in the kitchen and cook. I think I have the time line worked out, but who knows. Very little will have to be done at serving time. I can have it all plated and in the kitchen before we eat, except for the duck, which will all be scored and ready, except for the cooking.

Now, here is my disclaimer. The first time I made suck, and that is not a typo, I was dating Mark and set my oven on fire. The fire department was called. It was not fun and Mark called it suck from then on. I tried again with my ex. I still ruined it. I've been reading everything on cooking suck for days now. I think I have suck down, but it's still suck, till I manage to make it with any real taste. Fingers crossed and a big thank you to, Ming Tsai on Top Chef for saying, "everyone knows you score the skin."

Until recently not Nancy.

Edited by nliedel (log)

Blog.liedel.org

Speaking of Duck

Here is my version of something Ling posted about from her trip to meet the in-laws. I had to send my hubby out to his friends for the evening because I started with a small slice of foie gras which smokes the house out so baaaaaad. That was served with a touch of warmed cherry preserves cut with sherry vin.

After that I cleaned the pan set it on the simmer burner with a duck breast fat side down. After about 10 min I remembered to score the skin and actually cooked it about 30 min on the fat side pouring the fat into a cup occasionally. once I had recovered from the foie hit I cranked the heat to crisp the fat and flipped it over for a few min.

While the duck rested I warmed a scallion pancake and smeared it with Hoisin sauce and just a whisper of the juice from the cherry preserves, fanned the duck and sprinkled with chopped scallions

gallery_23695_426_137118.jpg

much later I was cutting the rest of the meat for my lunch the next day but ate it all cold at the cutting board :raz:

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Nancy~

I think it sounds fabulous but, wow, lots of work and organization ! Sometimes that is what makes it most fun tho, isn't it? A true gift of love :wub:

I need this :Meyer Lemon and Basil Sorbet: when you have a minute....please?

Tracey~

your duck on scallion pancakes look so good. I still am inept at making scallion pancakes. Any tips?

Nancy~

I think it sounds fabulous but, wow, lots of work and organization ! Sometimes that is what makes it most fun tho, isn't it? A true gift of love  :wub:

I need this :Meyer Lemon and Basil Sorbet: when you have a minute....please?

Tracey~

your duck on scallion pancakes look so good. I still am inept at making scallion pancakes. Any tips?

I bought them :unsure:

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Going back a ways to the gnudi/gnocchi discussion... I have always thought that gnudi is the ravioli filling without the pasta covering it. Naked ravioli.

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes

monavano - that Bucheron, Serrano Ham and Date Tart looks amazing.  I can get Bucheron and I'll be making that!  Thank you!!

A couple of nights ago I made asian pork tenderloin (another Cuisine at Home recipe - I am trying to slowly cook through issues to get rid of the magazines that are threatening to smother us  :biggrin: ), grilled pineapple (I've been craving this since I saw David use it in a fantastic dessert on the 'Sweets' thread - though, my grill marks aren't as pretty as yours, David  :wink:) and stir fried bean sprouts:

gallery_34972_3580_190166.jpg

Tonight Mr. Kim is hosting a poker party and so I am snacking on what I made for them - buffalo chicken dip and crab meltaways (so tacky, but everyone scarfs them up!).

Your dish looks really good. Tell me about the sauce on the pork.

Your pineapple looks delicious. That's a great combination with pork. I use a lot of tropical fruits this time of year since we are still months away from fresh local fruit, and I find grilling brings out a lot of the natural sweetness of the pineapple.

Your dish looks really good. Tell me about the sauce on the pork.

Your pineapple looks delicious.  That's a great combination with pork.  I use a lot of tropical fruits this time of year since we are still months away from fresh local fruit, and I find grilling brings out a lot of the natural sweetness of the pineapple.

David - here is the recipe. It's from Cuisine at Home magazine and the sauce is just amazingly easy and really complex. Next time, I think I'll double it and pour only half on the pork when it goes in the oven and save the rest to pass at the table, there wasn't quite enough for all the pork.

Thanks for the kinds words. I, too, love tropical fruit and grill it a lot!

I also posted this dish over in the Food Traditions and Culture forum under the topic "Why is Lamb so Expensive.......".

I found some lamb shoulder chops cut "country-style" and I used them in my basic pot roast recipe-I braise the meat for six hours in a sauce of red wine, tomatoes and lots of vegetables. I served the lamb over creamy polenta with some shredded smoked gouda added for a little extra flavor.

gallery_41580_4407_308162.jpg

David - that lamb is just lovely - I love lamb, but can't seem to find any with much flavor. Gotta get some from my wonderful butcher lady that I visited today!

From Belmont Butchery, I got some of their fantastic house-smoked brisket:

gallery_34972_3580_79875.jpg

Look at the gorgeous red ring :wub: ! This is just a great place - they do a lot of charcuterie in house and are involved in the Richmond slow food movement.

We then went to our local hippy dippy natural/organic foods grocery and got the makings for the rest of the meal:

gallery_34972_3580_37688.jpg

gallery_34972_3580_31923.jpg

I made some slaw with savoy cabbage, which I hadn't used before and made some of Marlene's crispy smashed potatoes (our new favorite way of having potatoes). I also got some 'Billy Bread' a great local crusty bread.

I'm wiped out and thinking about how I made the Meyer Lemon and Basil Sorbet. The food was good, and I have photos, but a friend of mine is coming today to visit and I'm running here.

Meyer Lemon and Basil Sorbet. I am bad about never following a recipe, ever. I read how it's done and then I play. Which is why things sometimes are a mess. I think I can recreate the sorbet though.

I made a simple syrup with a cup of sugar and a cup of water. Actually, I skimped a little on the sugar, which may have been a mistake. While it was coming to a boil, I dropped a crown of basil in it. I zested two of the Meyer lemons and squeezed the juice of four Meyer Lemons (they were on the small side). I turned it down as soon as it came to a boil, added a bare pinch of salt (Kosher) and stirred it carefully.

I pulled the basil and tossed it. You could really smell the basil and Meyer Lemon mix, with the basil under the Meyer Lemon. I tasted it and the Meyer Lemon hit the tongue first, with the basil sort of behind it, but very noticeable. I cooled it an ran it in my ice cream maker till it was creamy.

Sorbet seems to freeze hard as a rock for me. I stuck it in the fridge forty minutes before serving and it was scoopable.

Sorry I don't have a better recipe. I'm kind of known for this.

Blog.liedel.org

We cooked from My Bombay Kitchen tonight: tilapia fillets rubbed in turmeric, cayenne, and salt and then fried in oil and ghee; stir-fried okra with bird chiles, cilantro, and ginger-garlic paste; and a simple pulao with basmati rice, home-made chicken stock, bay leaf, peppercorns, and more ginger-garlic paste. Eternal cucumbers and a jar of shredded mango chutney on the side.

The masala seafood was ridiculously easy and very popular.

gallery_42956_2536_34526.jpg

Ramps and morelsappeard at my local farmers markets this weekend. I made Braised Chicken Thighs with Morels, Ramps, Thyme, Marjoram, White Wine and Cream.

gallery_24065_1826_22481.jpg

Ramp crepes (made yesterday while the braise was in the oven) were stuffed with some leftover minced braised chicken and sauced on top.

gallery_24065_1826_49521.jpg

Edited by monavano (log)