• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2008

Shelby

rooftop, I believe that your husband is a genious, until he went and ruined it by telling you he cooked it. He should have just done it and said he had somebody do it for you. That way he doesnt blow his cover.

Great looking dish though, definately going to try it out.

Wisconole, I actually like the blurryness of the pics. Kind of Soap opera drama! Great dish too.

Great looking soup Ce'nedra.

Amazing spread KIm.

Couple of new recipes that I tried out.

Lemon Chicken from the chinese pictorial recipes in eGullet.

I made a few changes. No lemonaid. I used meyer lemon instead and I Panko breaded a chicken thigh instead of using a breast. Came out very nice, the sauce is very powerful but went well with the breaded chicken.

gallery_56834_5307_4639.jpg

I also made a crab/pear/riccotta sauce that I served over pasta. It actually came out decent, I am certainly going to modify the recipe a bit more until I get it to come out with a bit more kick.

gallery_56834_5307_372020.jpg

Tonight I started with a Chinese Celery Salad with Dried Shrimp. A bit "grassy" for my taste but a nice, crisp salad.

gallery_41580_4407_15667.jpg

Many thanks go to gfron1 for giving me the recipe for this next dish, Shrimp with Thai Lime Butter. I served the shrimp with grilled green onions and a broth that had Chinese sausage, dried shitake mushrooms and noodles.

gallery_41580_4407_56887.jpg

Chile pasilla picadillo Oaxaqueno on warm flour tortillas. Guacamole and a variety of salsas at the table.

Really nice looking picadillo and guac, Bruce.

We had picadillo a number of times on our recent trip to Oaxaca - always as a filling for chiles rellenos (often with a rehydrated pasilla as the chile being stuffed - very different than the version we get here in San Diego).

Food Blog: Menu In Progress

Beautiful salad, Prawncrackers.

Jicama, watercress, and red onion salad, dressed with a roasted garlic and jalapeno balsamic vinaigrette.

gallery_42956_2536_48161.jpg

Chile pasilla picadillo Oaxaqueno on warm flour tortillas. Guacamole and a variety of salsas at the table.

gallery_42956_2536_10637.jpg

Bruce, what is the flavour of pasilla chili?? as I am certain not to find them in this neck of the woods...any substitutes using Asian chili??...thanks

We found meyer lemons well in stock and halibut had just come in so we took advantage of the fact. It was pouring rain so I could not grill the fish, but it came out very well.

Halibut with meyer lemon/mango sauce, white asparagus and mushroom salad, herbed roast rutabagas, bread and upside down meyer lemon tart for desert.

gallery_55708_5857_90170.jpg

Edited by Doodad (log)

rarerollingobject, yum!

We had picadillo a number of times on our recent trip to Oaxaca - always as a filling for chiles rellenos (often with a rehydrated pasilla as the chile being stuffed - very different than the version we get here in San Diego).

Thanks! Rehydrated pasilla chiles rellenos sounds amazing.

Bruce, what is the flavour of pasilla chili?? as I am certain not to find them in this neck of the woods...any substitutes using Asian chili??...thanks

Hmm, probably no real substitutes for chile pasilla. I have seen dried New Mexico chiles listed as a substitute, but the flavor and color would be quite different.

If you are familiar with ancho chiles (dried chile Poblano), pasillas are hotter, less fruity, and impart a uniquely addictive, almost smoky flavor. For an analogy with Asian chiles, picture something like mild Thai long chiles plus not-sweet black raisins, leather, and a whiff of smoked paprika. I ran across this quote while googling: “Imagine a mad scientist crossing a giant raisin with a mild, full bodied chile.”

Good news, though - it looks like you can mail-order chile pasilla and other Mexican ingredients from MexGrocer.co.uk (click).

Bruce - the stir fried shrimp sounds wonderful!

Percyn - your wings and pork both look delicious! I will be trying the wings sometime - we love the sweet stickiness of hoisin

Tracey - I am very impressed with your hubby's meal! I'd love that recipe, too!

Dr J - crab, pear and ricotta?? That sounds inspired! Not only would it work on pasta, but, thickened up, would make a great spread on crackers or cocktail bread.

This is what we've been eating for breakfast, lunch and snacks this week:

gallery_34972_5599_170596.jpg

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

So you can imaging our joy when our daughter served us this last night:

gallery_34972_5599_225311.jpg

salad, chicken enchiladas and refried beans - mmmmm!

Good news, though - it looks like you can mail-order chile pasilla and other Mexican ingredients from MexGrocer.co.uk (click).

Bruce, what an ace!!! thanks so much...now why did I ever think I wouldn't find real Mex ingreds in the UK?

scrambled Eggs? Two hours? Tasty?

(Looks good tho... )

I have to say as written I wouldn't have touched that recipe with a 10 foot spatula.

But it sure smelled good when I got home, he actually only served the pickles on the side he was afraid to put them in the stuffing.

the really funny part is the only ingrediant he needed to buy was the veal, but he got everything just to make sure....flour, carrots, chicken stock, etc :rolleyes:

T

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

We took the opportunity of our first 50 degree day since sometime early in November to grill some steaks and make a salad and stir-fry some broccoli with fish sauce and a big mess of browned garlic. It was a joyful day as we saw our rhubarb nubs for the first time in a LONG while. Never mind that we will see 5-9" of the S word tomorrow, we do thing spring is on the way, the sweet corn :wub: will be planted, and I am sourcing tomato plants. Spring is but a month or two away, but the late March/almost April light is higher, earlier and later, so yes, we are assured by the rhubarb nubs that produce will come from someplace other than South America once again!

Leftover steak is reserved for a Thai "yam."

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Herb crusted roast pork with brandy orange mustard sauce, roasted broccoli:

gallery_15557_2797_22032.jpg

It was snowing out, and the oven warmed up the kitchen nicely.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

I had some leftover orzo salad (orzo, spinach, red and yellow grape tomatoes, calamata olives, bocconcini, basil), and scrambled it together with a couple eggs for a pseudo-frittata (stove-top only). Very tasty. I have some more salad left – I may do the same thing tomorrow!

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

A textbook example of how to create grill marks the right way....

gallery_15557_2797_15632.jpg

...and the wrong way.

(Samples were sliced and served over a salad. Testing found the grill marks made no difference in taste :smile: .)

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Wow, the edges on that are perfect :biggrin:

A textbook example of how to create grill marks the right way....

gallery_15557_2797_15632.jpg

...and the wrong way.

(Samples were sliced and served over a salad. Testing found the grill marks made no difference in taste  :smile: .)

Marcia.

I kind of like the way the "wrong" one looks...it's zigzaggy :raz:

Kate

Marcia, too funny!

Dinner from Madhur Jaffrey’s Quick and Easy Indian Cooking: chicken korma; stir-fried cabbage with fennel; and basmati rice. Thinly-sliced onion and cabbage were stir-fried in a mixture of oil and ghee that had been flavored with cumin, fennel, and sesame seeds. When the cabbage was lightly browned, we mixed in cayenne and salt, lowered the heat for a while, and then finished with garam masala and lemon juice.

Best dang cabbage I ever et, and the boys loved the chicken and sauce.

gallery_42956_2536_43196.jpg