• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2008

Shelby

This is what I cooked several days ago!

Cuban-Asian Pork cooking, then the meat all done!

gallery_54474_4779_82513.jpg

Wow love the fusion going on :biggrin:

That looks so good and also reminds me much of Southern cooking for some unknown reason.

12049768...4505_244887.jpg

I could do with some good ol' crumbed fish or chicken at the moment -haven't had the sort in ages...sigh...and yours looks just mouth-watering..

Veggie Egg Foo Young

gallery_55271_5662_8179.jpg

My my...look at those glistening eggs. Could I have the recipe please? It looks SO lovely.

Red curry with bay scallops; stir-fried beef with spices; bean sprout salad; eternal cucumbers, and jasmine rice. More on Thai Cooking at Home (click).

gallery_42956_2536_1549.jpg

The purity of the white coconut milk just does it for me!

I've been on a fish kick

Shrimp Ragu

gallery_46943_4831_457429.jpg

Ok recipe please? :biggrin: I love ragu of all kinds -ever tried the Vietnamese version? It's awesome-o!

A humble meal: wonton soup

gallery_56306_5160_48632.jpg

gallery_56306_5160_17462.jpg

Edited by Ce'nedra (log)

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

WOW! What a wonderful display of different foods and cuisines. Italian, Asian, Irish, Cuban and everything looks soo soo good.

I wish I could reach in and sample Dockhl's Cheese souffle Prancrackers sole. Oh my god that fish looks amazing. So fresh. Ce'Nedra's won ton soup and for dessert Monovano's chocolate cheese cake.

Meals haven't been anything special but they have been tasty.

Burgers on Saturday night with homemade potato chips.

gallery_27944_2966_972223.jpg

Pot Roast on Sunday night with the traditional sides.

gallery_27944_2966_572980.jpg

And last night a Malaysian chicken Curry.

gallery_27944_2966_868881.jpg

Dad had to fast from midnight the other day for a knee replacement, so I visited and cooked him his favourite food: steak. I don't have a lot of experience cooking steak, but I was very happy with how this one turned out. I can't take too much credit though -- it would have been hard to mess up such a great quality piece of meat (this was strip steak).

gallery_38684_2093_34044.jpg

And topped with mushroom sauce:

gallery_38684_2093_51679.jpg

Yesterday, thai green fish curry.

gallery_38684_2093_16218.jpg

Dr. Zoidberg: Goose liver? Fish eggs? Where's the goose? Where's the fish?

Elzar: Hey, that's what rich people eat. The garbage parts of the food.

My blog: The second pancake

Ann~

I love your dark potato chips ! I always pick the dark one out for myself.... :blush:

Ditto!

Ann, this may have been discussed before, but when you make your potato chips, do you just slice and fry, or do you slice and double fry? Could you tell me what temperature(s) you use?

I want to make potato chips, too!

I'd love to grab one of Ann_T's baby bok choy. Hey, this is virtual fun!

I bought sunchokes at my local farmers markets on Sunday and yesterday, made Puree of Sunchoke Soup with a small drizzle white truffle oil.

gallery_24065_1826_935562.jpg

Doddie - tell Billy that his Empanadas are perfect and he's a cutie pie (don't tell him that part if it will embarass him :wink: )

David - that pork is gorgeous and sounds delicious. The cabbage intrigues me, too. What does that involve?

Percyn - that burrata and steak and bread and tomatoes all look so good! That sounds like the perfect meal and that steak is just exactly how I like them!!

Prawncrackers - I'd love to have that fish tonight and what lovely little potatoes snuggling up next to it :wub: !

Ann - that beautiful pot roast has me thinking - it's still cold enough here for pot roast if I hurry! Gotta put it on the list for next week!

Haven't been cooking much lately (we've been eating out) and what I have has been quick stuff. Monday night I was busy making cupcakes for a meeting that Mr. Kim was having, so I did frozen potstickers and some cheddar shrimp nachos. I'd been meaning to try the recipe for awhile and it was really easy, so it fit Mondays schedule. They were pretty good and I think with some tinkering, I can up that to very good:

gallery_34972_3580_63545.jpg

Dockhl, Prasantrin you are both welcome to the dark ones. I like the more golden ones.

I use the double fry method when frying regular french fries but the potato chips cook so quickly that I just fry them in oil that is 350° to 360°F degrees. They don't take long.

If you are doing a double batch ,just keep the first batch warm in the oven.

Tim A perfect steak dinner for your dad.

Grilled Baby Back ribs, seasoned Greek style with deep fried smashed potatoes (still had the oil from the potato chips to use) and a broccoli flan.

gallery_27944_2966_1026346.jpg

Another run of beautiful dinners up there.

Little yellow potatoes from the farmer's market potato guy, cooked, skinned, rolled in melted butter and parsley, matched up with their ideal mates, bockwurst from the German sausage guy, plus the dense perfect rye bread and the excellent pickles they also sell there. Two kinds of German mustard. Small starter of their meat salad, which everyone in the family knows better than to come home without at least a little of. Schlumberger riesling, so good with weisswurst.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

This is one we've done before, but I'm beginning to think, aside form sashimi, that it's one of my favourites for grouper.

Okay, seeing as how I'm going to be away from the kitchen for a few weeks, I used last Monday as my final opportunity to make an oil-spattered mess out of the kitchen.

This is a hamour, filleted, and then fried on the skin side to get nice and crispy.

gallery_22892_3828_2062.jpg

Then I cleaned the pan, added the roasted red bell peppers, nestled the fish, and poured in a lemon rosemary vinaigrette for braising. A nice Spanish olive oil.

Not only does it look pretty, and taste very pleasant, but I get the male enjoyment of watching the little fires flare up on all the other burners from the splash action I managed.

At least until Yoonhi gets the smoke detector to quiet down and she's free to drive me out of the kitchen.

This is one we've done before, but I'm beginning to think, aside form sashimi, that it's one of my favourites for grouper.

Okay, seeing as how I'm going to be away from the kitchen for a few weeks, I used last Monday as my final opportunity to make an oil-spattered mess out of the kitchen.

This is a hamour, filleted, and then fried on the skin side to get nice and crispy.

Then I cleaned the pan, added the roasted red bell peppers, nestled the fish, and poured in a lemon rosemary vinaigrette for braising.  A nice Spanish olive oil.

Not only does it look pretty, and taste very pleasant, but I get the male enjoyment of watching the little fires flare up on all the other burners from the splash action I managed.

At least until Yoonhi gets the smoke detector to quiet down and she's free to drive me out of the kitchen.

You and my husband must be twins. Last weekend he dropped a whole runny egg all over my gas stove burner--it was hot, mind you, so you can imagine the mess :hmmm:

Then I cleaned the pan, added the roasted red bell peppers, nestled the fish, and poured in a lemon rosemary vinaigrette for braising.  A nice Spanish olive oil.

You and my husband must be twins. Last weekend he dropped a whole runny egg all over my gas stove burner--it was hot, mind you, so you can imagine the mess :hmmm:

If you have a self cleaning oven, put the burner in the oven and run the self clean cycle. Should brush right off after that... HTH!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

If you have a self cleaning oven, put the burner in the oven and run the self clean cycle. Should brush right off after that... HTH!

Mine doesn't have that setting for some weird reason....or maybe I just turn it on real hot and let it go???

David - that pork is gorgeous and sounds delicious.  The cabbage intrigues me, too.  What does that involve?

gallery_41580_4407_29222.jpg

Thanks. The cabbage is easy. I used basic green cabbage but I think Savoy cabbage would also work. I sliced it very thin and then blanched it in boiling salted water for just a few minutes. The blanching helps to soften the cabbage yet still retain a bit of texture. Then I added a pat of butter and some olive oil to a hot skillet and added the cabbage. I stirred in a bit of heavy cream and a couple of tablespoons of Dijon mustard. I seasoned the cabbage with salt, pepper and a bit of caraway seed. I went fairly easy on the mustard and caraway seeds because I wanted the flavor of the cabbage to stand out. The mustard is a nice spicy/bitter element that helps cut through the richness of the cream in the cabbage and the fatty bacon around the pork. I garnished the cabbage with some fresh thyme.

Kim Shook, glad you liked the cabbage!

Ce’nedra, thanks! Nice soup, too, it is good to see you posting again.

Ann_T, beautiful dinners as always, and broccoli flan sounds intriguing.

We made flank steak satay with red curry peanut sauce, cucumber salad, and jasmine rice.

gallery_42956_2536_7858.jpg

First of all, I really have to give that pork and cabbage dish a shot now. It looks amazing right now.

gallery_24337_5799_153051.jpg

Anyways, I had barbecue pulled-pork stromboli with roasted acorn squash. Really good this time, but I can expand on it.

This looks sooooo good. I have never tried to make stromboli. Do you make your own dough or do you use frozen?

Actually, I was trying to use up a box of focaccia mix that somehow got up into the cupboard. Ended up being the perfect crust for keeping that barbecue sauce in.

Hey, I'm in college.  :raz:

Oh wow! Sounds good!

I found some tri-color gnocchi at target the other day, so that's what I made tonight.

gallery_33168_5801_1309072.jpg

...just cooked it with some crumbled turkey sausage, garlic, onions, red pepper flakes, and spinach.

I LOVE gnocchi--I just have not made it fresh. Did you like the packaged ones? Your meal looks wonderful!

Ann - broccoli flan?? As someone who likes her broccoli a little mushy, I am very interested in that!

Chris - beautiful risotto!

Dinner last night was made by my daughter, Jessica. She made salmon and pasta w/ lemon, butter and basil:

gallery_34972_3580_129760.jpg

It was very good! Most impressive was how perfectly the salmon was cooked! Very proud momma here!