• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2008

Shelby

HappyLab where did you get your guanciale? Home-cured? I've been meaning to try that recipe, but I haven't gotten around to it. It looks great.

I bought it at the famous DiPalo Dairy in NYC. I'm still very much a novice cook-- maybe one of these days I'll work my way up to home-curing. As for the recipe, definitely give it a try; it was as good as any carbonara I've had.

Everyones dinners look so good. And the photography is something else.

Kim I'm not big on leftovers either, but I would be happy with yours.

David Your corn beef looks as good as any I've seen in a Jewish Deli.

Here are a few of the meals we have had in the last week.

gallery_27944_2966_662189.jpg

Penne Carbonara

gallery_27944_2966_793797.jpg

Grilled boneless chicken breasts with fried potatoes tossed with fried onions and green peppers.

gallery_27944_2966_454431.jpg

New York Strip with creamed cipollini onions and shittake mushrooms.

And tonight Lamb Shanks with mashed potatoes, rutabaga and steamed green beans.

gallery_27944_2966_992387.jpg

I am decidedly not a leftover fan.  Once I've planned, fussed over and tasted something all day, I barely want it once, much less twice  :biggrin:!  But these were good:

gallery_34972_3580_23291.jpg

Leftovers from Friday night's dinner.  Lamb, feta salsa and crusty bread panini with couscous and roast green beans.  I went and got more bread and roasted red peppers after work today and we are having these again tonight! :laugh:

BLASPHEMY... :wacko:

The food gets a chance to marinate and all the flavors become so much more intense

BTW: Lovely looking lamb sandwich, just mouth watering

a very hungry college kid

Thanks, Kim , for the compliments, and I'm kindered spirit left-over loather......Once I've had a craving for something, made it, and satisfied the urge, I'm DONE. Like, totally....for a long while usually....tough when you're cooking for one ! I can usually tolerate a lunch during the following week, so long as its not the day after.

Anyways, after a bit of a dry spell, when nothing turned out really well, looked really pretty, or hit the right spots, I seem to have gotten back on the horse, so to speak. This weekend's, and tonight's offerings:

Chipotle Chicken and Pasta:

gallery_52142_5656_563674.jpg

Lasagna:

gallery_52142_5656_336865.jpg

Split pea & ham soup (very steamy) (good for the cold, rainy day here yesterday):

gallery_52142_5622_1319481.jpg

And tonight, Spicy Flank Steak, with Peanuts, Chilies and Herbs, on Dragon Soba:

gallery_52142_5656_588948.jpg

And Bruce's eternal cukes (with tomato and onion, marinated in rice wine vinegar, sesame oil & Sriracha......yum)

gallery_52142_5622_1387837.jpg

And David, that Reuben is perfection. Ann, as usual, fabulous photos..

And both carbonaras have me drooling......off to bed to dream of creamy eggy sauce with porky goodness on pasta.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

That Reuben sandwich looks heavenly indeed. I'm going to travel to the US for the first time this May, and I'll make sure to try to eat a proper Reuben somewhere :P

Last night we had toasted and cooked buckwheat with mince, served with some rather potent horseradish cream (freshly grated, of course):

gallery_43137_2974_77758.jpg

Brigid Mary is that recipe from his Bread Baker's Apprentice book? It looks a bit like a thin-crust pizza, one of my favorites.

Yes, the on from BBA. It really was like a thin-crust pizza. What I did was bake the lavash half way, then quickly pulled it out and threw on toppings before popping it back in. It was a bit funny going over the big bubbles in the bread, but it worked out fine.

Ann T love the pics.....really great work.

Can you post the recipe of the shitake and onion cream.

Dr. J. No real recipe. I just browned the cipollini's in a little butter/oil then simmered them in homemade chicken broth. I made a roux and used the broth the onions were cooked in as the liquid and enriched the sauce with a little heavy cream. The mushrooms were an after thought. They were sauted and added to the sauce along with the onions and simmered for just a little while to meld the flavours. Other times I have added fresh thyme or parmesan cheese to the sauce.

Ann

Great looking photos and food in this post. I'm new to the forums and have thoroughly enjoyed everything so far. My fiancee thinks I'm such a nerd when I take pictures of my meals. Glad to see I'm not the only one out there. Have to organize some pics and read how to post them. I've never been strong on my plating techniques though. Will try to get somepics up soon.

Great looking photos and food in this post. I'm new to the forums and have thoroughly enjoyed everything so far. My fiancee thinks I'm such a nerd when I take pictures of my meals. Glad to see I'm not the only one out there. Have to organize some pics and read how to post them. I've never been strong on my plating techniques though. Will try to get somepics up soon.

Hi!!! Welcome!! My pictures aren't very good, either, so don't worry! I look forward to seeing some meals.

Pu pu starter: Speck, Pork Pate, Salumi homemade sourdough

gallery_39170_2381_106849.jpg

Grass Fed Flat Iron, Blue Cheese/Tarragon Butter, Sunchoke Puree, Green Beans

gallery_39170_2381_119101.jpg

Riopelle and bleu Benedictine from Quebec (snuck past Customs), Red Hawk

gallery_39170_2381_82345.jpg

Peppercorn Cognac Sauted Chicken

gallery_39170_2381_145650.jpg

Veal Flank Steak w/Caper & Cornicion Sauce, Russian Banana Fingerlings sauted w/duck fat

gallery_39170_2381_148444.jpg

Great looking dishes, just wondering what veal flank steak is. Never seen it my neck of the woods. Is there another name for it?

I had a last-minute change of plans tonight as my wife's flight into town was diverted (after it was directly overhead! Too much fog to land :sad: ). So, dinner alone again tonight. Scrounging in the fridge, I had leftover pork roast, leftover rice, and some lovely Maitake mushrooms, so it was fried rice again.

gallery_56799_5710_113877.jpg

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Kim,  Thanks for the link to the chicken recipe. Your website is amazing. How long has it taken you to post 842 recipes?

I've been putting them on that site for about 6 years. The first few months I spent large amounts of time on the computer adding recipes that I had been collecting for years, but the last few years I just add them as I 'test' them. I like having a record and it's a good resource for friends and family. Almost without exception they are recipies that I have actually cooked - not just ones that look interesting.

Kim,  Thanks for the link to the chicken recipe. Your website is amazing. How long has it taken you to post 842 recipes?

I've been putting them on that site for about 6 years. The first few months I spent large amounts of time on the computer adding recipes that I had been collecting for years, but the last few years I just add them as I 'test' them. I like having a record and it's a good resource for friends and family. Almost without exception they are recipies that I have actually cooked - not just ones that look interesting.

I bookmarked your recipes, too! Thank you so much for sharing them. I got a chance to read a few during work yesterday and they look fabulous! And, they made me hungry :biggrin:

Spaghetti puttanesca, one of my favourite pasta dishes.

gallery_38684_2093_6608.jpg

doctortim what kind of olives did you use? My wife is a huge puttanesca fan, but I haven't been interested lately because last time I used Picholine: clearly, a mistake. Too buttery, too sweet. They didn't work well at all. Should never have strayed from the Greek cracked I usually used...

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org