• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2008

Shelby

Not the greatest food pictures I've ever taken, that's for sure, but last night's dinner was just so tasty that I had to post it. I recently returned from a trip that took me, among other places, through Tokyo and Bangkok. Last night, I recreated some of the great flavors I found in those two cities.

First was mugitoro, which is grated yamaimo (Japanese mountain yam) served over barley rice

gallery_18974_1420_40966.jpg

I followed that up with New Zealand green-lipped mussels which I first steamed, then bathed in a condiment consisting of fish sauce, shrimp paste, palm sugar, thai chilies, fresh mint, shallots, garlic, and fresh lime juice. Ah, and I swirled in a little knob of butter for good measure. Never hurts.

gallery_18974_1420_26582.jpg

percyn - bacon salt :wub:  :wub:  :wub: !  Where did you get that? 

Kim, the bacon salt was a hard to find locally, so I got it online. I see that it is available at amazom.com here. I have been topping my eggs with it and love it. It happens to be kosher, vegetarian and has no cholestrol but has the flavor :wub:

Tonight my wife was in town, so we had a pork roast from last month's Fine Cooking: it was pretty good, although we both thought the fennel and apple dressing was too sweet. I should have tasted it before serving, I think it could have been fixed with some cider vinegar and a bit of salt. This was a Niman Ranch Saratoga Roast, which was substantially larger than what the recipe called for, so I also should have tweaked the cooking temperatures, since by the time the center was 145F the pork was overcooked, to my taste. Good thing the NR pork has so much fat!

gallery_56799_5710_96414.jpg

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

tupac17616, beautiful (and delicious-sounding) mussels.

Kim Shook, dang, you really did some “out and out” cooking!

Mrs. C and Grandma made white bread, which we snacked on all afternoon and enjoyed with dinner, which was basically appetizers:

Thai-style swordfish satay, from Fish & Shellfish. We marinated swordfish cubes with Thai chiles, garlic, shallots, sugar, lime, and fish sauce. Quickly grilled and served with peanut sauce, this was meltingly tender, juicy, and delicious.

Pork riblets braised in caramel sauce, adapted from All About Braising. The boys intercepted quite a few of the falling-off-the-bone ribs before they reached the table. The sauce needed something, so I reduced it with dark soy sauce and Chinkiang vinegar.

Braised leeks with bacon and thyme, from All About Braising. Not bad, but probably better if I had remembered to add butter. :hmmm:

gallery_42956_2536_33916.jpg

Edited for clarity.

Edited by C. sapidus (log)

Kim, could you please post the link that you talked about that has the Goat Cheese and Fig Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Marsala Sauce that you made? I make a similar chicken dish which we really like. http://www.leitesculinaria.com/recipes/coo...icken_figs.html

Instead of using fresh figs, I cut up dried Mission figs and put them in port that I warmed up. The port plumps the figs and infuses them. Very nice.

I would like to try the variation that you made. I have been on a real chicken kick lately. I don't know if there is anything else that is as versatile as chicken. There are just scads and scads of things to do with it. I am so often torn between making a favorite or trying something new. Lately, trying something new has won.

By the way, the web site that I linked to above has really wonderful recipes. The section that that recipe came from is the Cookbook Recipes section, but they have 4 other sections as well. I really reccommend looking through it.

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes

Kim, could you please post the link that you talked about that has the Goat Cheese and Fig Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Marsala Sauce that you made? I make a similar chicken dish which we really like.  http://www.leitesculinaria.com/recipes/coo...icken_figs.html

Instead of using fresh figs, I cut up dried Mission figs and put them in port that I warmed up. The port plumps the figs and infuses them. Very nice.

I would like to try the variation  that you made. I have been on a real chicken kick lately. I don't know if there is anything else that is as versatile as chicken. There are just scads and scads of things to do with it. I am so often torn between making a favorite or trying something new. Lately, trying something new has won.

By the way, the web site that I linked to above has really wonderful recipes. The section that that recipe came from is the Cookbook Recipes section, but they have 4 other sections as well. I really reccommend looking through it.

Here you go! That will link you directly to the recipe. Its a recipe on my online webpage. The link under my signature here will link you to the table of contents of the webpage. Hope you like it - it was so good and stayed moist through 2 reheatings!

Shelby those pork chops look great!

I'm working my way through the 7 lbs of leftover pork roast from last night. My wife is back out of town, so I can eat all the mushrooms I want. Tonight, I had the "Chinese Pork & Mushroom Wraps (a.k.a. mu shu pork)" from January 2008's Fine Cooking.

gallery_56799_5710_62830.jpg

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I'm working my way through the 7 lbs of leftover pork roast from last night. My wife is back out of town, so I can eat all the mushrooms I want. Tonight, I had the "Chinese Pork & Mushroom Wraps (a.k.a. mu shu pork)" from January 2008's Fine Cooking.

:biggrin: Thanks, Chris!

I've been hankering for Chinese food. *sigh* I just can't get good veggies right now to do it. Guess I'll just envy you!

Mmm that looks good!

What kind of wrap did you use? And how did your flavour your pork & mushroom?

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

Spaghetti Carbonara:

gallery_6782_5354_515496.jpg

Ah, one of my favorites. I see some bright orange poking through the top layer of grated cheese there. Do you top it with the egg yolk rather than using it to sauce the noodles? I've seen it done that way before, but usually prefer to have the creaminess throughout so I mix it through off the heat.

Tonight's dinner was a hearty bowl of Pancit Canton, a traditional Filipino food usually as a snack. Yes, it is of Chinese origins and I fondly remember when my Dad would come home late at night after overtime, bearing a paperbag package of the local restaurant Pancit Canton. The Pancit noodles would be wrapped in banana leaves and the latter would impart a very fragrant scent to the noodles plus the calamansi wedges that is scattered around the noodles. The perfect accompaniment to this would be freshly baked Pan de Sal (Bread of Salt).

gallery_48583_5441_239540.jpg

Edited by Domestic Goddess (log)

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Spaghetti Carbonara:

gallery_6782_5354_515496.jpg

Ah, one of my favorites. I see some bright orange poking through the top layer of grated cheese there. Do you top it with the egg yolk rather than using it to sauce the noodles? I've seen it done that way before, but usually prefer to have the creaminess throughout so I mix it through off the heat.

I used a Batali recipe, which called for separating the egg. The white got mixed into the pasta with the rest of the sauce (copious amounts of cheese, guanciale, and a bit of pasta cooking water), and I topped the pasta nest with the yolk. I liked this method-- the sauce was still creamy throughout, and yolk on the top gave the dish some color for a nice presenation.

We were skiing in Austria for a week, where we feasted thoroughly on excellent food, but now it's back to normal home cooking. Last night I made Nigella Lawson's cider and mustart pork chops (from Nigella Express), which was an excellent and tasty dish - the combination of cider, mustard and cream will certainly make an appearance in our kitchen again soon.

Here's what our dinner looked like - a pork chop each, plus some green salad leaves and dark rye bread:

gallery_43137_2974_97773.jpg

Tonight we'll have buckwheat porridge with mince meat.

Mmm that looks good!

What kind of wrap did you use? And how did your flavour your pork & mushroom?

The wrap is just a flour tortilla from the refrigerated section. The principal flavorings are Hoisin and soy sauce, but there is also ginger, garlic and sesame oil. It was a tasty recipe, though I thought serving it with a hoisin dipping sauce was overkill in the sweetness department.

HappyLab where did you get your guanciale? Home-cured? I've been meaning to try that recipe, but I haven't gotten around to it. It looks great.

Brigid Mary is that recipe from his Bread Baker's Apprentice book? It looks a bit like a thin-crust pizza, one of my favorites.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I made this giant ham hock for my husband and he was thrilled I finally got it exactly the way I wanted it to be!...the skin was very crispy .. the inside stayed tender and moist ...I am not a huge fan of this but he is :smile:gallery_51681_4569_25242.jpg

served it with roasted vegetables and a quick rhubarb chutney

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I made this giant ham hock for my husband and he was thrilled I finally got it exactly the way I wanted it to be!...the skin was very crispy .. the inside stayed  tender and moist ...I am not a huge fan of this but he is  :smile:gallery_51681_4569_25242.jpg

served it with roasted vegetables and a quick rhubarb chutney

That looks great, he's a lucky guy!

This was last night's dinner just before being pulled, a marinade injected pork butt.

gallery_56234_5750_1231432.jpg

tupac - welcome back and those mussels look and sound amazing!

Bruce - those riblets :shock: ! I love sticky porky stuff!!!

Chris - the 'mu shu' looks great. I will have to search out that issue at the library - I'd love a good homemade recipe for that

Brigid Mary - I want some of that lavosh stuff!!! That is amazing looking!

I am decidedly not a leftover fan. Once I've planned, fussed over and tasted something all day, I barely want it once, much less twice :biggrin:! But these were good:

gallery_34972_3580_23291.jpg

Leftovers from Friday night's dinner. Lamb, feta salsa and crusty bread panini with couscous and roast green beans. I went and got more bread and roasted red peppers after work today and we are having these again tonight! :laugh:

Last night was a Rueben Sandwich. (You can see the details and photos of my attempt at homemade Corned Beef in the "Corned Beef at Home" thread in the Cooking Forum).

I normally don't eat sandwiches for dinner. But this one time for dinner-a sandwich made the day end on a delicious note.

gallery_41580_4407_13893.jpg

gallery_41580_4407_3252.jpg

gallery_41580_4407_38310.jpg