• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2008

Shelby

This isn't so much what I made for dinner last night, but I just found these pics on my camera and I thought I would throw them up for posterity's sake. We did caviar service as a start to our Christmas Eve meal. It was glorious and luxurious. There were 8 of us sharing a 5 oz. tin of Tsar Nikolai American Estate Osetra Caviar with fresh Yukon Gold Blinis and an egg salad featuring sifted eggs, minced red onion, chives, and whipped creme fraiche. We paired the caviar with Polish vodka on ice. Talk about a pure luxury. Enjoy.

gallery_12732_4564_264161.jpg

gallery_12732_4564_160804.jpg

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

This isn't so much what I made for dinner last night, but I just found these pics on my camera and I thought I would throw them up for posterity's sake.  We did caviar service as a start to our Christmas Eve meal.  It was glorious and luxurious.  There were 8 of us sharing a 5 oz. tin of Tsar Nikolai American Estate Osetra Caviar with fresh Yukon Gold Blinis and an egg salad featuring sifted eggs, minced red onion, chives, and whipped creme fraiche.  We paired the caviar with Polish vodka on ice.  Talk about a pure luxury.  Enjoy.

Talk about putting on the Ritz! Beautiful..

It's been cold and snowy here, so I've been in the mood for soup for dinner a lot:

gallery_15557_2797_20713.jpg

Broccoli cheese soup

gallery_15557_2797_30730.jpg

Hot and Sour Soup

But my, doesn't that caviar service look lovely!

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

It's been cold and snowy here, so I've been in the mood for soup for dinner a lot:

gallery_15557_2797_20713.jpg

Broccoli cheese soup

gallery_15557_2797_30730.jpg

Hot and Sour Soup

But my, doesn't that caviar service look lovely!

Marcia.

Marcia

I know you do low carb, I'd love your broccoli cheese soup recipe please? Thanks!

Marcia

I know you do low carb, I'd love your broccoli cheese soup recipe please?  Thanks!

It's more reduced carb than dead low carb, but it's really good - I'll PM you the "recipe"!

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Speaking of low carb, no pix ( cause it wasn't really pretty)....

I crockpot roasted some turkey thighs and took one thigh and the juices, added water, carrots, celery and sauteed mushrooms, a little cumin and Meyer lemon juice and made soup. Threw in a little parsley. So good. I love my crockpot.

Last night's dinner was Creamy Horseradish Soup with Horseradish and Caraway Seeds:

I'll bet there's some beetroot in the Horseradish soup with Horseradish, too :wink:

btw I LOVE that little dish that you served the cheese cream in.

Edited by Chufi (log)

Last night's dinner was Creamy Horseradish Soup with Horseradish and Caraway Seeds:

I'll bet there's some beetroot in the Horseradish soup with Horseradish, too :wink:

btw I LOVE that little dish that you served the cheese cream in.

Ooops. Of course I meant Creamy Beetroot Soup :unsure: I corrected the typo.

The bowl is from some Japanese shop in London - gift from another foodblogger, Inne:rolleyes:

Pan Seared Halibut with Fennel and Grapefruit served over Pureed Cauliflower.

gallery_55239_5394_11792.jpg

Basically I prepared the fish and saute'd a mirepoix with fennel in the remaining juices, deglazed with dry white wine, added grapefruit juice, zest and pulp, then reduced.

The Cauliflower could have been more done to get a refined puree but was still good. I added some grated parmesan to give it a little more body.

*Edited multiply due to poor editing skills.

Edited by RAHiggins1 (log)
Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

This isn't so much what I made for dinner last night, but I just found these pics on my camera and I thought I would throw them up for posterity's sake.  We did caviar service as a start to our Christmas Eve meal.  It was glorious and luxurious.  There were 8 of us sharing a 5 oz. tin of Tsar Nikolai American Estate Osetra Caviar with fresh Yukon Gold Blinis and an egg salad featuring sifted eggs, minced red onion, chives, and whipped creme fraiche.  We paired the caviar with Polish vodka on ice.  Talk about a pure luxury.  Enjoy.

Oh my goodness - be still my beating heart :wub:

Dinner the other night was Ruby Chicken

Ready for the oven:

gallery_403_5577_906802.jpg

roasted sweet potatoes and an idaho along with steamed broccoli complete the meal

gallery_403_5577_622227.jpg

suzilightning! That Ruby Chicken brought back some memories. I have been making that dish for years! It was from an old Family Circle magazine special recipe issue - I think that it was originally my mom's book! It is one of those recipes that makes a double portion and you can freeze it and cook it from frozen, so I make it for welcome to the neighborhood and welcome new baby meals to this day. It was so cool to see someone else making it! Do you remember where you got the recipe?

Kim

suzilightning! That Ruby Chicken brought back some memories. I have been making that dish for years! It was from an old Family Circle magazine special recipe issue - I think that it was originally my mom's book! It is one of those recipes that makes a double portion and you can freeze it and cook it from frozen, so I make it for welcome to the neighborhood and welcome new baby meals to this day. It was so cool to see someone else making it! Do you remember where you got the recipe?

Kim

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

C. Sapidus,

I find myself thanking you again for another very good meal. We're batting 1000. Sunday we made your version of Tinga Poblana. It was very good. Our batch did not look as dark and rich as the one you posted on P. 710. I was a bit disappointed at first. In myself, not in the recipe. I thought that I must not have done everything correctly. When heating up the leftovers, I found that browning it in a cast iron skillet and letting most of the liquid boil off, was the way to go. My husband, however, liked the brothiness (is that a word) of the original recipe. I found that the potatoes tempered the heat quite a lot. I will add more chipotles next time. Your version has brighter flavors. The recipe that we have always made has a darker, earthier quality. It does not have the potatoes. We serve it with Mexican rice and beans. Now I don't know which one I'll make next time.

Question for you. Do you add all of the cooking broth that the recipe calls for? I added about half and it was still very brothy.

As good as it was... Mrs. C's salmon still wins for the most "MMMMs". (Actually one after about every bite.)

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes

tonight we had hot dogs with onions, sliced Bubbie's pickles (the greatest pickles i've ever had), mustard and ketchup. last night we finished up fresh fettuccine and venison sausage tomato sauce leftovers, but as it happened, there wasn't much leftover. we supplemented our plates with annie's mac & cheese (weird, i know) and had big salad with too-oily vinaigrette made with delicious balsamic and fruttato olive oil.

but three nights ago, i actually cooked. i braised beef short rib with molasses, soy sauce, red peppery sesame oil, white wine, orange zest, garlic, ginger, onion. i made a sort of spicy lemony cole slaw with lots of ginger in it. we had a dinner party. i was hungover the next day. success.

Question for you. Do you add all of the cooking broth that the recipe calls for? I added about half and it was still very brothy.

Bella S.F., thank you for the kind words, and I am so glad that you liked the tinga poblana. I am pretty certain that we added all of the broth, but we did make the tinga in a wide saute pan. Perhaps that facilitated evaporation.

i braised beef short rib with molasses, soy sauce, red peppery sesame oil, white wine, orange zest, garlic, ginger, onion.  i made a sort of spicy lemony cole slaw with lots of ginger in it.  we had a dinner party.  i was hungover the next day.  success.

Eliza, that sounds delicious, and congratulations on the hangover. See Say It Not So Loud for tips on reducing the consequences of your next successful party. :wink:

Tonight we made seared rare tuna salad with chayote slaw, served over romaine lettuce and topped with roasted garlic and balsamic vinegar dressing and cilantro. Mrs. C made arroz blanco. A quick and easy dinner from Mexican Everyday.

gallery_42956_2536_6129.jpg

I know this is the wrong forum/wrong thread but, with so many great photographs in this thread, I know I'll get great responses.

I want to buy the smallest digital camera that meets my needs (has viewfinder for sunny conditions). Of course, I'd like to be able to take passable pics of my more successful dishes with it. I understand that most of the really nice photos in this thread are taken with a macro function.

All of these ultracompact digicams have "digital macro" as opposed to a real macro lens. Will "digital macro" be sufficient for my needs (just to get some decent photos for eGullet...nothing more)?

Thanks in advance!