• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

Megan your risotto looks delicious.

I love all the renditions of Bruce's Szechuan chicken. It's on my list too!

Chufi that is a gorgeous Asian meal, the rolls and the soup look so tasty and beautifully photographed.

We've been in an Asian mode here too. My best friend surprised me with a visit this week. I had the components ready for several dim sum items, so we made an evening of it.

Homemade Char Siu Bao

gallery_41870_2503_37204.jpg

Sauteed Greens

gallery_41870_2503_55698.jpg

Shrimp-Stuffed Eggplant Sandwiches

gallery_41870_2503_90271.jpg

gallery_41870_2503_18013.jpg

Chinese Braised Duck, Shredded, Served with its Braising Liquid and Homemade Mandarin Pancakesgallery_41870_2503_1525.jpg

gallery_41870_2503_23791.jpg

Homemade Shrimp Dumplings being snatched up by Buzz Lightyear and Mr. Incredible

gallery_41870_2503_37385.jpg

Banana Beignets with Chocolate Surprise- these are from Giorgio Locatelli's new book - awesome!

gallery_41870_2503_3578.jpg

gallery_41870_2503_109586.jpg

I made my homemade ravioli yesterday. These are filled with some beautiful baby spinach, two types or ricotta (hard/sheep's and soft/cow's) and parmigiano reggiano. We also had sauteed Italian sausage with sauteed escarole.

gallery_41870_2503_70375.jpg

With some black and white banana bread from Dorie Greenspan's great new baking book.

gallery_41870_2503_28374.jpg

did something similar to RosalindD's recipe from another thread.

stuffed pork tenderloin with mushrooms sauted with garlic, basil, onions, chives and some red wine vinegar.

browned on pan then in oven, made a sauce by deglazing the pan with some red wine and added some more mushrooms, chives, butter and flour to thicken it up.

gallery_43859_4039_36643.jpg

Lumas, your photo of the pasta e fagoli is beautiful!

Chufi, your summer rolls are magnificent. Or whatever season they are!

Shaya: good lord, do you sleep??? Just beautiful! I love Buzz Lighting and Mr. Incredible, aside from being way too adorable, the colors in that photo are so vibrant and alive.

What is the Nigella wooden spoon trick for pomegranates? I just crack them open and pick out the seeds, I've gotten pretty fast. I also do it in a bowl in the sink to cut down on the collateral damage. Recently I had an artist friend helping me with dinner, and she wanted to help me seed the pomegrante..all good, except that towards the end I noticed that she'd stopped seeding and had gotten into rubbing all the red juice all over her hands, completely seduced by the color. I love that, a completely sensous response to that beautiful fruit.

Back to the mundane, its been a soup week around here.

Celery soup

gallery_14010_3559_35166.jpg

Italian wedding soup. Can anything bad happen to you from over indulging in chard?

gallery_14010_3559_125183.jpg

Judith: I’ll trade half of my shrimp for half of yours. :biggrin: I love the celery soup action photo, too.

Christian Z: Awesome! :blush: Fuchsia Dunlop should get credit for the recipe, of course.

Shaya: What an amazing spread! I love the picture of your boys eyeing the food intently. They look very, very hungry (for a very, very good reason).

Tonight I made a super-simple recipe from James Peterson’s Fish & Shellfish: flounder fillets baked with butter and sherry. I overdid the butter a bit, but the flounder was delicious. We also stir-fried baby asparagus with lots of garlic, fermented bean paste, light soy sauce, Shaoxing rice wine, and Chinkiang vinegar.

gallery_41870_2503_18013.jpg

Mmmm. That whole meal looks incredible.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

thanks for the compliment Nishla!

Lumas that soup looks awesome!!

mmm..... spring rolls .... and the feast of Shaya, wow!

Last night I flew in late from business and TallDrinkOfWater had a nice bowl of potato leek soup for me (no pictures)

tonight I made a household standby of penne with garlic and brocolli- I smashed up some left over garlic crostini for the top

354542577_921121f25a.jpg

All the scrumptious dinners, and the Asian dinners on the last few pages would make glad the hearts of anyone wok-proud or skillet-skilled. All the pictures are stunning, especially Chufi's transparent rainbows formed into rolls.

These pancakes are just amazing, and I hope you're posting the recipe. Perhaps we can retire DIVE for a time in favor of LOLL.

:wub:

GRITS hubby decided to make Fried Pork loin for him and the kiddies. He took the leftover seasoned flour from yesterday's fried chicken meal. He butterflied some slices of loin and dipped it in milk/egg mixture and then dredged it in the seasoned flour (even double dipped it).

Fried Pork Loin

gallery_48583_4079_263998.jpg

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Shaya - may I get the recipe for eggplant sandwiches stuffed with shrimp? That looks amazingly delicious.

Chufi, you too!! WOW! Those pics are beautiful and the rolls look so scrumptious.

I have got to start documenting my dinners - I try and do something different every night.

Patti Davis

www.anatomyofadinnerparty.com

Klary: I didn’t give your beautiful spring/summer rolls a proper shout-out. As Marcia aptly put it, your picture is mouthwatering art.

Judith: I’m intrigued by your parsnip chips – how inventive!

Our dinner was kung pao chicken with cashews (gong bao ji ding). Everyone was coughing from the chile fumes, but it was worth it. :rolleyes:

gallery_42956_2536_41927.jpg

Rack of lamb, with a garlic, parsley, mustard and breadcrumb crust and Gratin Dauphonaise:

gallery_6080_205_80004.jpg

gallery_6080_205_69442.jpg

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Holy cows.. You guys are really doing some amazing cooking..Shaya that spread is just redunk... Marlene,That lamb looks gorgeous too.. I have one of those bad boys in my Freezer.. Chufi so do your rolls and very pretty Chicken Hathor.. I need to make it before I start the Vegetarian Diet on Monday..

Edited by Daniel (log)

There's a thread somewhere on this forum asking how we plan our meals. I've noticed that the Dinner thread is starting to affect my methods.

For example, I was so taken by Hathor's salt-crusted chicken, I found a recipe online (thanks for the mention of your blog, Judith, I'll check later) and went out in search of one. Alas, shopping on a Sunday at dusk is not a good idea and there was not a whole chicken to be had. Slim pickins all the way around, so I had to go with something else. Besides, since the crust involves around 8 egg whites (at least the recipe I found had this requirement), I'm going to have to wait until a time when the freezer isn't stuffed with gnudi, cappelletti, tortelli and a disk of unformed egg pasta dough.

Now, Judith, I saw your Mexican wedding soup on one of the few gloriously winter-cold days we've had down here in the tropics, and since there's ground beef in the freezer, I went out and got me some chard last night :laugh: !

Shaya, please continue to inspire us. Klary, great idea for dealing with this unseasonable weather. I've got a stack of rice wrappers, scallions, limes and cilantro all because Daniel reminded me that I haven't had tofu for ages. I suspect the mapos here also are an influence, though, it's a desire to lose weight--and rare in the Carnivorous Culture that is eGullet--I need to make a concerted effort to eat more protein.

As much as I would prefer that gorgeous, gorgeous rack of lamb :wub: , Marlene, tis time to tend to the black beans and hike a couple of miles to catch me a smoked ham shank.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

:wacko: Just a quick little after work dinner....that required 3 trips to the poultry market waiting for my politically incorrect ingrediants

Not this guy though

gallery_23695_426_607079.jpg

just an innocent chicken

its the first course I made 3 trips to the market for after rounding up some Demi, cherry preserves, and sherry vin I was ready to sear off a few slices of this...

gallery_23695_426_267337.jpg

and swoon over a plate of like this

gallery_23695_426_101489.jpg

Huson Valley Foie with a black cherry sauce followed by plain old :smile: roast chicken with mashed potatoes and peas.

The meal I missed in Paris

Oh yeah dont cook foie gras at home if you have no kitchen exhaust fan :wacko:

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

last night we had some skirt steak marinated in Herbs de Provence, lemon and EVOO quickly seared on the grill pan along side carrots with butter and parsley

355972777_6daec68f4a.jpg

What a fantastic photo! That looks fabulous! Great stuff from you, too, rooftop!

Michael aka "Pan"

You know those days where you're just craving certain foods? Today it was vegetables, probably because we've been eating out a lot, and missing our usual variety of produce. Tonight we had some friends over and had a veggie tasting dinner of sorts. This was NOT vegetarian, though (chicken stock, seafood and bacon were involved).

We started out with sauteed mushrooms (chantarelle and shiitake with garlic, sherry, sherry vinegar, thyme and parsley) and creamed chevre on challah toast:

gallery_45959_4078_6926.jpg

My friend Sheri brought seafood risotto, which we served in individual portions, briefly broiled in the toaster oven:

gallery_45959_4078_29239.jpg

It had scallops, tilapia and mushrooms. Super tasty.

Parsnip soup topped with pan roasted brussels sprouts and bacon:

gallery_45959_4078_4765.jpg

Wilted escarole dressed with champagne vinegar, champagne shallot mustard and olive oil. We also added sauteed onions and red pepper, white anchovies, pistachios, and topped it with a poached egg.

gallery_45959_4078_523.jpg

gallery_45959_4078_21876.jpg

Finally, "pasta" made from summer squash. The tomato sauce was simmered with red wine and anchovies, and finished with parsley and a splash of cream. For a mostly veggie dish, this was very rich and satisfying:

gallery_45959_4078_14935.jpg