• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

Ann - thank you! Great minds think alike. Hubby made sandwiches like what you prescribed, I made mine with lettuce, onions and a smear of mayo. The rest of the roast was reincarnated into

BEEF STEW

gallery_48583_4079_111396.jpg

Dessert was sinful chocolate cupcakes...

gallery_48583_4079_154266.jpg

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Had a few days off between jobs this past week so I did some cooking at home which I rarley do.

Kurobuta porkchops in a quick brine with some nice locally grown organic veggies of roasted sweet potato fingerlings, swiss chard cooked in a cast iron pan with pork drippings, apple-onion compote, and stone ground mustard sauce:

378511866_b4a057f4ef.jpg

Made some rabbit the next day. I braised the legs and frenched the racks then pan roasted them with the saddle, homemade gnocchi, baby carrots and some sauteed greens from a local farm:

380714508_116377d62e.jpg

"Success is the sum of alot of small things done correctly."

-- Fernand Point

lambfries, all I can say is DROOOOOL.....love rabbit, must get my ass into gear and get some as the little critters are everywhere and the local poacher (oops I mean gamekeeper :smile: ) delivers our morning paper

I am visiting my folks and they requested some lamb. I had been itching to do a whole bone-in leg. I covered the leg with softened butter and put some rosemary and garlic in some slits I had placed all over the leg. I roasted it on high for 30 minutes then added some sliced potatoes, onions, and fresh chicken stock to the pan before placing it back in the oven. It could have used half the stock so they would have gotten a bit more crisp. They were still delicious and full of lamby goodness. Bought some hydroponic arugula and made a nice little salad on the side.

388009480_e6c2afa75a.jpg

Laurel, I don't really follow a recipe. I do the same thing using Lamb Shoulder and lamb shanks. Just brown the meat, and then season with lots of garlic, lemon zest, oregano, olive oil and fresh squeezed lemon, salt and pepper and a little chicken broth. Cover and cook in the oven at about 350 to 375°F until the meat is almost tender and add some potatoes and continue cooking until the potatoes are done. I usually squeeze a little more lemon over it before serving.

Thank you so much, will have to try this soon!

The picture is rather ugly, but the dish was delicious. We had stone ground speckled grits and sausage (with a salad) for dinner. I used Paula Wolfort's technique for oven cooked polenta from Slow Med. Cooking for the grits and this was an easy and terrific method The grits took a little longer in the oven to get to the texture I wanted, and I added a little liquid when I stirred after 1 hour and 10 minutes, but this is going to be my method of choice for real grits from now on.

gallery_26110_4104_405102.jpg

Lovely, Dianne! I suppose I'll have to try making grits one of these days.

Tonight's dinner was prime rib, roast potatoes, yorkies and gravy. It was supposed to be last night's dinner, but my mother's funeral services ran late, then people came back to the house, and I just wasn't up to cooking. Thus, my family gets a Sunday night dinner on a Monday night instead.

This btw, is an end slice. I can pretty consistently get the ends to come out med rare.

gallery_6080_205_86144.jpg

gallery_1_5_35701.jpg

Looks like it could be a snow day here tomorrow, which may mean experimenting with some beef pot pies.

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Marlene, your "Sunday dinner on Monday" meal looks wonderful. The meat looks nicely cooked- lots o' pink, beautifully browned on the outside.

My condolences on the loss of your mother. Hope you find nourishment in time with your (well- fed) family and good food.

Thanks! Even though it was a smaller roast than I normally cook, it did get nice and crispy on the outside

gallery_6080_205_70352.jpg

Marlene

The picture is rather ugly, but the dish was delicious. We had stone ground speckled grits and sausage (with a salad) for dinner. I used Paula Wolfort's technique for oven cooked polenta from Slow Med. Cooking for the grits and this was an easy and terrific method The grits took a little longer in the oven to get to the texture I wanted, and I added a little liquid when I stirred after 1 hour and 10 minutes, but this is going to be my method of choice for real grits from now on.

Mine too. I'm so glad I tried the recipe, it made the best polenta I've ever had. Dianne, not sure if you would share my warning: it looked like a mess until near the end of the cooking, then somehow miraculously came together.

gallery_26110_4104_405102.jpg

Dianne - that looks wonderful! What kind of sausage is that? Kim

Dianne - that looks wonderful!  What kind of sausage is that?  Kim

Oh boy, that's a good question. There are 2 kinds of sausage and they both came from the farmer's market last summer. The longer one is a garlic sausage and the shorter one is a bratwurst.

And LindaK, I certainly do endorse your warning.

Marlene Your Prime Ribs are always perfectly cooked.

Wendy Thanks to you I have a craving for Fried Chicken. That looks delicious.

I baked sourdough bread yesterday (no commercial yeast). Started the dough on Sunday evening with a biga and baked it yesterday. Used a small piece to make Moe a little pizza for lunch.

gallery_27944_2966_41295.jpg

Dinner was a bastardized version of a Cassoulet.

gallery_27944_2966_415084.jpg

Last night, TV Dinner. Chicken thigh meat marinated in ginger, a little garlic, mirin, a little soy, tossed in cornstarch, deep fried. Thai sweet chili sauce for dipping. Coconut jasmine rice. Broccoli w/mayonnaise. Sake. 3 eps of Ricky Gervais' new-to-DVD show, Extras. Very very very funny, with bonus Love Gifts for EastEnders watchers.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

tonight was fried chicken, roasted garlic mashed potatoes, citrus green beans and a salad of fennel, apple and blue cheese

388758008_5f677db90c.jpg

I had fried chicken and mashed potatoes for dinner last night as well, with some kale on the side. Mine didn't look anywhere near as good as yours, though. Do you use buttermilk? I was VERY disappointed in my fried chicken and I think I need to try again soon.

I KNOW BETTER! I caught up on this thread while I was hungry. Now I want: steak, cucumbers, goat shanks, lamb shanks, just about anybody's shanks will do!! :biggrin::biggrin:

I say that we declare February to be "Meat Month"! What fabulous looking meat. Even some bunny....mmmmm.

Its started to snow, (finally!!), so I haven't spent much time at the computer, but we aren't starving.

The other night it was a roasted, stuffed tomato salad. Tomatoes were stuffed with garlic, herbs and parmigiano cheese. Served warm on the salad. And a veal chop on a bed of sauted artichoke hearts with port and some cream.

gallery_14010_3559_34280.jpg

gallery_14010_3559_36182.jpg

Then we had some smoked chili crusted steak, on another night

gallery_14010_3559_5918.jpg

Thanks god we are skiing off all this meat!

And just because it looks so beautiful right now, here is a view out my window, right around sunset.

gallery_14010_3559_137337.jpg

Marlene, my condolences to you on your loss, and a warm hug.

Shaya: feeling better?? Hope so!

Now, I'm gonna go eat something. Anything....I'm starving!!

Marlene: Deepest condolences on the loss of your mother.

Tonight’s dinner: chicken and ginger in caramel sauce (ga kho gung) from Into the Vietnamese Kitchen. More information here (click). Stir-fried baby bok choy, coconut rice, and the usual cukes on the side.

For the bok choy, I separated the leaves, cut the thick leaf bottoms from the more delicate tops, stir-fried the thick parts with garlic and chilies, and then added the leaf tops towards the end. The sauce was a mixture of Shaoxing rice wine, fermented bean paste, and fish sauce.

gallery_42956_2536_42636.jpg

Thanks everyone. Today was a good day to stay inside and cook, so I decided to try making individual beef pot pies.

gallery_6080_205_9310.jpg

gallery_6080_205_49439.jpg

gallery_6080_205_820786.jpg

gallery_6080_205_57533.jpg

Marlene