• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

Tonight I started with a Salmon Bisque. I used a recipe I got off the internet and not my own recipe. Didn't turn out to my liking so I decided not to post the photo. I plan on using my own recipe to make a lobster version of my shrimp bisque for the holidays. I'll post that one for you.

But the main, oh man was it delicious-Roasted Squab with Huckleberry-Balsamic Glaze served with a Roasted Squash Risotto. I added a small amount of ricotta salata along with the parmesan and that extra tangy-salty bite from the ricotta really punched up the flavors.

Do you ever make a dish at home and you just say "damn that is good!" As good as you might have in a restaurant? This was one for the must-have-again file.

gallery_41580_4407_52491.jpg

Finally some time to cook. I had picked up a pork roast Thursday and marinated it in orange, lime and lemon juice, garlic, black pepper, fennel and olive oil. Roasted it on a bed of carmelized onions and served with a basic risotto and carrots and sprouts that i sauteed then braised in some broth then finished in a honey glaze.

gallery_403_5446_127594.jpg

gallery_403_5446_505769.jpg

gallery_403_5446_202281.jpg

The finished, plated product.

gallery_403_5446_145863.jpg

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

College Guest Night

(I ate rather than cooked. Matthew Carter is Head Chef. World class. How he produces such quality for 100 people is beyond me)

Not mentioned is an amuse of pan fried scallops.

Desert included perfectly ripe VAcherin Mont d'or, fruit, truffles and petit four

gallery_7620_135_46647.jpeg

Edited by jackal10 (log)

Do you ever make a dish at home and you just say "damn that is good!"  As good as you might have in a restaurant? 

once in a great while this happens....

mostly i say, "damn that was good, why can't i get food like this in a restarant".....

then i answer myself by saying, "because you live in a small town john"........

then when i go to bed i ask God to let me hang out w/ fat guy or jamie maw....

MiFi: That salad is beautiful, and I would love to dig into your shiitake and beef stroganoff.

Mizducky: Nice ribs!

suzilightning: I love the brightly-colored carrots and Brussels sprouts.

Kim Shook: That looks like a lovely Thanksgiving meal.

Tonight we made beef stewed with star anise and lemongrass (from Into the Vietnamese Kitchen), “world’s best” braised cabbage (from All About Braising), and jasmine rice. Sort of an odd combination but they went together nicely, probably because both dishes included carrots and onions. Younger son’s “meat and potatoes” friend ate a healthy portion.

Bo kho

gallery_42956_2536_8113.jpg

Braised cabbage and jasmine rice

gallery_42956_2536_6996.jpg

College Guest Night [...]

I assume this is high table ...?

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

Tonight we made beef stewed with star anise and lemongrass (from Into the Vietnamese Kitchen), “world’s best” braised cabbage (from All About Braising), and jasmine rice. Sort of an odd combination but they went together nicely, probably because both dishes included carrots and onions. Younger son’s “meat and potatoes” friend ate a healthy portion.

Bo kho

gallery_42956_2536_8113.jpg

Braised cabbage and jasmine rice

gallery_42956_2536_6996.jpg

Bruce: That meal looks particularly comforting and satisfying in view of our recent cold blustery weather. I'll have to try braised cabbage. That would get me out of the usual stir-fried with ha mai or chop suey ( :shock: )mode!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

This is from a small dinner party I had last week...

Tartare of Kona Kampachi with Radishes and Wasabi Cream Sauce

gallery_54501_5443_17869.jpg

Sweet Corn Soup with Avocado Creme Fraiche and Cilantro - from Suzanne Goin's "Sunday Suppers at Lucques"

gallery_54501_5443_2068.jpg

Butter Poached Spiny Lobster with Sunchoke Puree, Roasted Beets, Chanterelle Mushrooms and Lobester Jus

gallery_54501_5443_27987.jpg

Braised Short Ribs with Potato Puree, Root Vegetables and Braised Cippoline Onion - I forgot to take a photo of this one. Luckily one of my guests did and sent it to me.

gallery_54501_5443_23427.jpg

Meyer Lemon Sorbet

gallery_54501_5443_6937.jpg

"Le Kit Kat" from Michel Richard's "Happy in the Kitchen"

gallery_54501_5443_25235.jpg

Tonights dinner was a tasty example of potage de surplus, last nights dinner still needs organizing before posting but it did include....

Wonton skin wrapped cocktail weenies deep fried...Trademarked by Amazing Hotdog :wub:

Sausage and beef (taquitos, empanadas) in Wonton skin deep fried

Same meat rolled in puff pastry

Pesto, anchovy and swiss rolled in puff pastry

Chipolte Spinach dip

Hummus

2 foccacia...1 turned into toasts

Crab salad

Deviled eggs

Crudite

Pepperoni and cheese platters

And a Ham with raspberry mustard to be served with foccacia squares

all made yesterday...by me

Oh and cake...not made by me

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Tonight, dinner rolls from Bread Baker's Apprentice, roast pork, gravy, roast potatoes, and broccoli struesel gratin.

gallery_6080_205_33450.jpg

gallery_6080_205_27560.jpg

Tracy, just for you:

gallery_6080_205_105926.jpg

gallery_6080_205_194047.jpg

gallery_6080_205_124897.jpg

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

A couple of "homestyle" meals (read: not fancy!):

gallery_15557_2797_21606.jpg

From a couple nights ago, spaghetti squash and meatball pie. I cooked the spaghetti squash, drained and cooled, then mixed with two eggs, a tbsp or so of flour to bind, salt and pepper, and then mooshed (technical term!) it into a greased pie plate and prebaked it until set. Then I filled it with halved cooked meatballs, topped it with about a cup and a half of sauce, topped with cheese, and baked until heated through and cheese was melted and bubbly. It was pretty good.

gallery_15557_2797_12948.jpg

Tonight: the mushroom barley meatball soup out of November's "Food and Wine". I have a couple of tweaks I'd like to make, and I garnished with some of the leftover grated parmesan instead of sour cream, but this recipe is definitely a keeper. Easy and tasty.

gallery_15557_2797_9791.jpg

Accompanied by a pear, gorgonzola, and walnut salad over greens with vinaigrette made with pomegranate vinegar.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

An experiment that seemed to work out pretty good-Large shrimp that I marinated in Smith and Wollensky steak sauce. I had chilled the leftover roasted squash risotto from dinner the other night, cut it in rounds, then sauteed it in olive oil for a 'risotto cake.' The base is just spinach sauteed in olive oil and then a slug of apple cider vinegar.

gallery_41580_4407_65322.jpg

I've been craving beef stew lately, but couldn't find a recipe that I fell in love with, so I made one up on my own.

Beef, potato, parsnip, carrot, onion, garlic, bay leaves, smoked paprika, rosemary, oregano, beef broth, about half a bottle of 7 year old pinot noir and salt and pepper, simmered for about an hour yielded this.

gallery_19862_4585_28350.jpg

The bread is pane rustico from Trader Joe's, cut in half with brie in there, I wrapped the bread and brie in foil and warmed it in the oven. Yummy.

Not a great picture... but on a whole I'm happy with the result.

Cheryl

Wow haven't been here for awhile (not THAT long) and there's been SO many delectable looking dishes! I shall be going through all the pages I missed and making requests :wink:

This page looks particularly comforting :)

Banh canh (Tapioca Noodle Soup) -this is from last week. I really love the chewiness of the noodles!

gallery_56306_5160_27806.jpg

gallery_56306_5160_42193.jpg

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

Does anyone reference the dinners from the previous year (December 3, 2006 starts at post 17474, page 583) for current/seasonal meal ideas?

I do all the time.

I love this thread.

I do that all the time, too. I also sometimes search within this thread for my own posts and then think wow that was good I need to make that again :laugh:

Marlene those are some picture perfect dinner rolls!

Thanks Chufi! I was particularly pleased with how this batch turned out. I think it was the best one yet!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

A couple of "homestyle" meals (read: not fancy!):

gallery_15557_2797_21606.jpg

From a couple nights ago, spaghetti squash and meatball pie. I cooked the spaghetti squash, drained and cooled, then mixed with two eggs, a tbsp or so of flour to bind, salt and pepper, and then mooshed (technical term!) it into a greased pie plate and prebaked it until set. Then I filled it with halved cooked meatballs, topped it with about a cup and a half of sauce, topped with cheese, and baked until heated through and cheese was melted and bubbly. It was pretty good.

Tonight: the mushroom barley meatball soup out of November's "Food and Wine". I have a couple of tweaks I'd like to make, and I garnished with some of the leftover grated parmesan instead of sour cream, but this recipe is definitely a keeper. Easy and tasty.

gallery_15557_2797_9791.jpg

Accompanied by a pear, gorgonzola, and walnut salad over greens with vinaigrette made with pomegranate vinegar.

Marcia.

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes

I tried this once and it did not work. Here I go again. I am trying to copy something that someone else posted and add a question.

I don't know if what I wanted to do worked. I'll find out when I press "Add Reply". If it did not work... I was trying to copy purplewiz's Mushroom Barley Meatball Soup from Food and Wine Magazine I have that recipe on the list of what to make over Winter Break. purplewiz, what "tweaks" were you talking about making?

Thanks!

Actually, if this did work this time, I am not really ahead of the game, because I am not sure what I did.

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes

I don't know if what I wanted to do worked. I'll find out when I press "Add Reply". If it did not work...  I was trying to copy purplewiz's Mushroom Barley Meatball Soup from Food and Wine Magazine I have that recipe on the list of what to make over Winter Break. purplewiz, what "tweaks" were you talking about making?

Thanks!

Actually, if this did work this time, I am not really ahead of the game, because I am not sure what I did.

It sort of worked...you need the QUOTE tags around the portion of the previous post you're quoting If you press the "" reply button, it gives you the whole of the posting you're replying to in the QUOTE tags, and then you can just edit that down as long as you leave the first and last QUOTE tags alone. Then you can just type your text after the closing quote tag! Does that help?

Things I'd tweak: since I wasn't using ultra-lean ground beef in the meatballs, I partially baked them off first, then added them to the soup. Unfortunately, they still left the soup a bit greasy for my taste (and I loves me my dietary fat :wub:!), so I think next time I'll parboil them first even longer, then drain and add into the soup. I know the recipe calls for ground sirloin, but around here we don't generally see ground chuck or ground sirloin, we just have 80% lean, 90% lean, and 93% lean. I suppose parts is parts.

Also, I thought the 1" meatballs were a bit large. I'd like to go to 3/4" meatballs so I have more of them. I thought they were a bit underseasoned, but then I realized I forgot to add in the salt and pepper. :hmmm:

The broth was outstanding, and so were the mushrooms. The parmesan was really, really good on top. Maybe I'd add a glug of sherry to finish next time, maybe not. My husband asked if this recipe was a lot of work, because he'd like to see it again.

Oh, and since I live at altitude, I automatically planned for extra time for the barley to cook!

I hope you enjoy it when you make it and post pictures here!

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog