• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

i didn't take a picture because it was toooooo gross - though i guess i could have posted it on the dinner thread II.

john wanted leftovers so - heated up the bread stuffing, mashed potatoes, made a gravy with the chicken jus and incorporated the leftover chicken then added the beans and created his faux hot turkey sandwich.  it looked like cat barf and he loved it. <BIG SIGH>

that lasagna and bread look wonderful.... only 5 more days to the end of the season.

Sausage and rice stuffing here....combo also looked like cat barf on toast...we wont even discuss the gravy packet

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Gee, you're sick for a few weeks and then spend a long time trying to catch up with everything that has been going on. There sure has been a lot of great eating.

C. sapidus,

I was particulary interested in your Black Bean Beef. It looks exactly like a dish that we used to get at a restaurant that sadly is no longer in business. (not closed because the food wasn't good or that people didn't like the place... the owner/chef got tired of never having any time for himself and also found that he just couldn't find a lot of reliable help, so of course he worked even more)

I have been looking up recipes for that dish and have found many different versions, many just calling for "beef, cut into thin slices". I would prefer something more specific. Are there some basic hints that you can give to make your recipe?

Thanks!

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes

C. sapidus,

I was particulary interested in your Black Bean Beef. It looks exactly like a dish that we used to get at a restaurant that sadly is no longer in business. (not closed because the food wasn't good or that people didn't like the place... the owner/chef got tired of never having any time for himself and also found that he just couldn't find a lot of reliable help, so of course he worked even more)

I have been looking up recipes for that dish and have found many different versions, many just calling for "beef, cut into thin slices". I would prefer something more specific. Are there some basic hints that you can give to make your recipe?

Thanks!

Bella S.F. Thanks! It was actually chicken, but I expect that the recipe would work with thinly-sliced flank steak or chunks of tender beef. I sent you a PM.

Please,please, how does one get bread to turn out like that? I have tried so hard and failed miserably each time to get the crust like that. Please point me in the right direction!

Also, my wife has begged me to get the recipe for the lasagna. She was looking over my shoulder at the pictures and really flipped over the lasagna!

I'm in full agreement, MiFi's left-over pasta looks scrumptious. Such a thing would not exist in my house, how could that be left-over?!

Tonight a Saffron Prawn Risotto, wonderfully bright dish for a particularly grey day here in Brum:

gallery_52657_4505_472887.jpg

C.sapidus,

I must have had a real brain fade, or reading page after page to catch up on all that I had missed was not done very carefully. I actually had plans to turn the non-existant Black Bean Beef into Black Bean Chicken. You just made it easier for me.

Thanks so much!

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes

I tried the technique suggested here for 'dry-frying' mushrooms and oh man were they good.  And I've just clued into the fact that kale is pretty awesome, in pretty much every aspect (it's hiding under the fish).  The fish, by the bye, is red snapper with ground almonds and a bunch of stuff on it, that I baked.  Pretty surprised it turned out, actually :raz:

2066646215_54af69e344.jpg

(I keep thinking that this might have actually been a nice picture if I had some non-rainbow plates.  And less parsley, but I love the taste and wanted to use it up so it wouldn't go to waste)

It's a lovely meal, and I love your plates! They're far more interesting than mine...

And I agree completely about kale. Ever since I discovered it, I've been finding more ways to cook it and use it and falling more in love with it. Tonight it was sausage kale soup which I did not photograph because it was not one of my more successful soups (not the fault of the kale or the sausage....).

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

In the "look Ma, no sauce" category :biggrin: , bacon, carmelized onion and gruyere tart with tossed salad with homemade balsamic dressing.

gallery_6080_205_248231.jpg

gallery_6080_205_72005.jpg

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Bella S.F. You are quite welcome, I hope you enjoy the chicken.

Marlene: Beautiful tart!

Tonight we grilled skin-on rainbow trout, butterflied and coated with chipotle mayonnaise. We also made a salad with cilantro vinaigrette, romaine lettuce, jicama, and julienned cucumber. Flour tortillas and extra chipotle mayo for those inclined to make tacos.

gallery_42956_2536_32214.jpg

Bella S.F. You are quite welcome, I hope you enjoy the chicken.

Marlene: Beautiful tart!

Tonight we grilled skin-on rainbow trout, butterflied and coated with chipotle mayonnaise. We also made a salad with cilantro vinaigrette, romaine lettuce, jicama, and julienned cucumber. Flour tortillas and extra chipotle mayo for those inclined to make tacos.

gallery_42956_2536_32214.jpg

Is the perky green sauce on the trout the cilantro vinaigrette? Whatever it is, it is lovely. Coated with mayo after grilling? I see Hawaiian preps where the fish wears the mayo coat during baking.

Is the perky green sauce on the trout the cilantro vinaigrette? Whatever it is, it is lovely. Coated with mayo after grilling? I see Hawaiian preps where the fish wears the mayo coat during baking.

heidih: Thanks! Yes the green stuff is cilantro vinaigrette. We coated the flesh side of the trout with chipotle mayo and grilled the fish skin-side down with the cover closed. No fish-flipping required. You can see the color difference between the darker cooked and lighter uncooked chipotle mayo.

Sounds pretty similar to the Hawaiian baking method, with a bonus of crispy fish skin.

Thanks Bruce and Stephanie. :smile: It's a great tart. It's the one I recommended to Zoe B for her brunch. It can be made ahead, rewarmed or served at room temp. It really makes a great lunch or dinner with a salad and one another member did here some time ago.

Marlene

:sad: But Marlene I miss the Gravy :sad:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

My Webpage

Tracy, I wasn't going to post this, because it's only pot roast after all, but well, for you.... :biggrin:

Tonight's dinner, pot roast, mashed and gravy, glazed carrots.

gallery_6080_205_58637.jpg

Marlene

ahhh thats better :smile:

we had shrimp with tons of garlic and butter and shrimp stock over mashed potatoes

tracey

Maxine

My Webpage

Tonight we made orange-flavored chicken (pollo con naranja) and mushrooms in herbed vinaigrette from Zarela’s Veracruz. Chicken thighs were marinated in a garlic and black pepper vinaigrette, browned and braised in a mixture of fresh-squeezed orange juice and Cointreau, and finished with a thinly-sliced onion and butter.

We also slowly simmered shiitake and baby bella mushrooms with sliced onions and carrots, a slivered jalapeno chile, vinegar, bay leaves, and a sauteed paste of thyme, oregano, black peppercorns, and a half-head of garlic. Jasmine rice and eternal cucumbers rounded out the meal.

When we returned from walking the dogs after dinner, the house smelled amazing.

Edit: sentences need subjects.

gallery_42956_2536_8351.jpg

Edited by C. sapidus (log)

I haven't had time to post for awhile, so I have a jabillion observations and questions!

Tracey - I :wub: your stove!

Peter - loved the salmon. I have a bunch of cryovaced (much nicer word for it than we use - we call it sucked) salmon that in laws brought back from their Alaska cruise that I will be cooking after the holidays. I will remember the teriyaki idea! The smelt looked perfect. I haven't ever found good smelt here in Richmond - I love it and used to

Marlene - oh. that. cake. :wub::wub: And, as always, the queen of roast and gravy! Your Yorkshire pud looks perfect - did you have directions/recipe posted anywhere here - I thought I remembered that you did? Also, just so you know, the gravy shot of that prime rib meal made my head hit my desk - I swooned! One more thing, "bacon, carmelized onion and gruyere tart?" is there a recipe somewhere?

David - I received the book and it is great. Lots of interesting stuff to read, plus recipes I want to try - thanks for recommending it! And the frisee salad was lovely. I made a note of your description and am going to try that!

Bruce - the crust on your Pollo con oregano is beautiful! I will have to try that method: simmer, rub, grill!

Klary - wild boar! I don't even know where to start to look for that, but it sure looks good! Even the cabbage looks wonderful...but, but I don't like cabbage :wink: !

monavano - ok, your cabbage looked good to me, too. Maybe I need to try cabbage again, huh?

Pille - I have always wanted to try making Arancini - how hard is it?

I have a number of meals to post, since I have been neglecting it, but these might be the last for awhile - my camera refuses to open suddenly and needs to go to the ER this weekend :angry:.

Halloumi cheese, pita, hummous, salad:

gallery_34972_3580_630413.jpg

My mom and dad (Ted Fairhead from these boards) came up to celebrate Thanksgiving with us. They arrived on Wednesday and I made ribs, winter corn, cheesy noodles, brocolli slaw & corn bread:

gallery_34972_3580_678860.jpg

Dessert was Gingerbread cupcakes w/ orange cream cheese frosting:

gallery_34972_3580_473425.jpg

Next up was Thanksgiving dinner. Ted made the fantastic meal. I contributed the cheese plate that we munched on while everything was cooking.

The cheeses included L’explorateur, Layered Cheddar and Stilton, Boursin, Carr Valley 6 yr.cheddar & Manchego & Mebrillo:

gallery_34972_3580_156528.jpg

Dinner was Roast Beef w. port wine sauce:

gallery_34972_3580_894777.jpg

Roast potatoes:

gallery_34972_3580_428814.jpg

Roasted Brussels spouts with Dijon, walnuts and crisp crumbs:

gallery_34972_3580_641952.jpg

Momma's wonderful Yorkshire pudding (she sometimes has difficulties with them and they were great this time):

gallery_34972_3580_1182003.jpg

Pecan Chocolate Tart:

gallery_34972_3580_556553.jpg

Just a fantastic meal:

gallery_34972_3580_1107102.jpg

Ted also worked all day Saturday making us dinner while we were in Charlottesville yelling our lungs out (go 'Hoos) and ultimately being disappointed and defeated :sad: . It was lovely to come home from a sad day in a cold stadium to this:

gallery_34972_3580_419101.jpg

A warm, comforting and delicious Steak pudding.

and this:

gallery_34972_3580_858457.jpg

Spotted Dick. With Golden Syrup. MMMMM

Sunday night was Baby Bleu salad, Italian pot roast, wide egg noodles, Southern green beans and yeast rolls:

gallery_34972_3580_47238.jpg

I'm sorry for the massive post, y'all! I probably won't be posting pictures for awhile, so I guess this could be considered 'banking' them :wink: !

Kim

I had the day off, so I had some fun. I made two faced pork chops with jerk paste on one side and cranberry relish (leftover) on the other. There were grilled and cut in half so each person got one of each side. The side is roasted plantains in gruyere topped with limed jicama and roasted mixed peppers on top of that. The green sauce is cilantro, smoked salt, roast garlic oil. The flatbreads subbed for tortillas. I also made an apple and blackberry (from our farm property) tatin. Sorry we ate it without a thought for photography.

gallery_55708_5415_15085.jpg

I made Joonzi today! So this is supper tonight.

gallery_48583_5441_86812.jpg

My joongzi had all my favorite ingredients: sticky rice, chinese sausages, chinese roast pork, mushroom and salted duck egg yolk. :wub:

gallery_48583_5441_329579.jpg

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos