• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

There is something almost evil about Marlene's chocolate cake! If you look deep enough you may see your own soul...

Today, we started with a creamy roasted butternut squash soup with chorizo and it's own toasted seeds. To follow was crab quiche and salad:

gallery_52657_4505_37028.jpg

gallery_52657_4505_125700.jpg

gallery_52657_4505_187056.jpg

We did Friday night steaks with demi that seems to happen every Friday.

I did make a different side though. I roasted spaghettin squash and then put the threads in a ramekin with garlic, basil, pepper and cheese. I baked this until it held its shape ie a disc. I topped it with a puree of cauliflower, cream and thai red curry. In the puree, I stuck mini fried green tomatoes.

It came out well and my wife loved them. The plus is a low carb side that is still tasty.

I did make a different side though.  I roasted spaghettin squash and then put the threads in a ramekin with garlic, basil, pepper and cheese.  I baked this until it held its shape ie a disc.  I topped it with a puree of cauliflower, cream and thai red curry.  In the puree, I stuck mini fried green tomatoes.

It came out well and my wife loved them.  The plus is a low carb side that is still tasty.

That sounds good. I may have to give that one a try. Thanks.

I did make a different side though.  I roasted spaghettin squash and then put the threads in a ramekin with garlic, basil, pepper and cheese.  I baked this until it held its shape ie a disc.  I topped it with a puree of cauliflower, cream and thai red curry.  In the puree, I stuck mini fried green tomatoes.

It came out well and my wife loved them.  The plus is a low carb side that is still tasty.

That sounds good. I may have to give that one a try. Thanks.

Sorry no pics. We were starving.

The London Broil was HUGE and took over 30 minutes to get med rare.

Since Marlene's gravy was calling to me the other day I had to make something with gravy.

I went with pork shoulder braised in Hacker Schorr Dark Weiss beer with just a chopped onion, 2 bay leaves and the teeniest touch of ground cloves.

While the oven was going I roasted a few golden beets and purple and white cippolene onions and then finished them in a pot with balsamic, honey and some of the braising liquid. The rest was turned into gravy for the falling apart meat and some potato dumplings

gallery_23695_426_344776.jpg

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

More Mexican tonight: grilled chicken with oregano; guacamole; Mexican white rice; and eternal cucumbers. We simmered the chicken with onions, garlic, and chicken broth, and then rubbed the chicken with mashed garlic and oregano before grilling. Interesting – the simmer, rub, and grill method turns up in SE Asian cooking, too.

Pollo con oregano, arroz blanco, guacamole

gallery_42956_2536_38636.jpg

We also made swordfish ceviche with pickled jalapenos, green olives, tomatoes, red onion, black pepper, and Mexican oregano, mixing in cilantro and cubed avocado just before serving. We devoured the ceviche with Tostito scoops and sauvignon blanc. First time making ceviche, and it was delicious.

I let Mrs. C have most of the ceviche because she looked potentially dangerous. :wink:

Swordfish Ceviche

gallery_42956_2536_44453.jpg

Lastnight we made Nigella's Sake Salmon recipe (click me)

gallery_41563_5177_15447.jpg

Its a very simple recipe and one of our favorites :)

Peter: You're a spy

Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd

Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much

The smelt are running! Here's pesce intero al forno in crosta di sale

(whole fish baked in salt) from Jamie Oliver's Italy:

gallery_42214_4635_21651.jpggallery_42214_4635_21598.jpg

gallery_42214_4635_37652.jpggallery_42214_4635_8753.jpg

gallery_42214_4635_44363.jpggallery_42214_4635_4868.jpg

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Barley with Tarantello di Tonno, Tomatoes and Oregano

Ooooh -- this looks amazing! Any chance you could post or PM the recipe? I looove barley, and am always looking for new ways to use it...

Emily

Hey, Emily, thanks for the kind words. Here's all I did:

1. Buy this Sardinian canned tuna, the stuff dreams are made of.

2. Pick a few pounds of heirloom tomatoes from the French Laundry gardens (with the gardener's permission, of course)

3. Cook barley in the rice cooker, because I'm lazy sometimes

4. Roughly chop the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper

5. Open and carefully pull apart the large, beautiful flakes of tuna, then mix with the tomatoes

6. When the barley is cooked through, gently mix through the tomatoes and tuna, taking care not to break up the tuna too much. The large flakes are what really distinguishes this great product.

7. Drizzle some Colonna Extra-Virgin Olive Oil over everything with reckless abandon. Top with fresh picked oregano. (Optionally: sprinkle some coarse toasted bread crumbs on top for textural contrast.) Enjoy.

gallery_41563_5177_15447.jpg

Yoink! I'll be using that recipe, thank you very much! It looks incredible. Did you make the rice from the recipe as well? I might try it with plain rice instead.

Peter the eater, those fish look gorgeous!

I've been craving orange beef for a while, and checked out a few recipes - the crispy fried kind and the stir-fried kind, and I really like the crispy kind, so I came home with good intentions for making that style. Of course, I took one look at my tiny range and gave up and made the stir fried kind. It was good anyway! Served with stir-fried bean sprouts in sesame oil, soy sauce and Korean red pepper.

gallery_41378_5233_88044.jpg

gallery_41378_5233_259058.jpg

Sliced Persimmons with Parmigiano-Reggiono and 30-year aged Balsamic Vinegar

gallery_18974_1420_66472.jpg

Cauliflower Pancakes with Eggplant Caponata, Tomato Sauce and Sauteed Kale & Turnip Greens

gallery_18974_1420_88124.jpg

Cauliflower pancakes is a new one! Sounds like a winner.

Last night was all from my farmers market: Pan seared lamb rib chops, braised broccoli rabe with currents and sweet potato with butter and apple cider.

gallery_24065_1826_22582.jpg

Sunday night dinner.

Vegetables cooked with some brown sugar, butter and dill, on a bed of Creme fraiche cheese sauce.

Korean style marinated steak on a bed of rice, sweet potato. Garnished with carrot, radish, capers.

gallery_56834_5307_378630.jpg

gallery_56834_5307_676753.jpg

gallery_56834_5307_405650.jpg

Having the same today ill see if i can come up with a completely different presentation.

A simple dinner for John last night. Toast, salmon, poached egg, hollandaise with dill and a few slices of avacado. Then cut open to let the yolk run over everything.

gallery_403_5391_339032.jpg

gallery_403_5391_641931.jpg

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Prawncrackers - that butternutsquash soup with chorizo looks divine. I love creamy soups with a garnish of something crispy-spicy on top.

tupac - can you share some more info on the cauliflower pancakes ? They look so good.

Dinner last night.

salad of belgian endive, radicchio and parsley, with hazelnuts, bleu d´auvergne and grilled pears

gallery_21505_2929_26848.jpg

wild boar braised in red wine with sage and chestnuts

gallery_21505_2929_18920.jpg

braised cabbage from Molly Stevens All about Braising

gallery_21505_2929_33607.jpg

we also had potatoes mashed with apples.

dessert: sour cream pumpkintart from Dorie Greenspan´s book

gallery_21505_4018_56615.jpg