• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

gallery_56834_5307_160346.jpg

gallery_56834_5307_637901.jpg

Here is last nights dinner.

Ostrich steak, with rice made with thyme, beef broth, and onion.

escargo

the sauces are the anti-cucho red and orange from the nobu now book.

Here is my take on the sauces.

First the quantities are like enough for 3 or 4 servings.

Second the red one asks for a lot of salt. I found the sauce way too salty

I used wine instead of sake, i may remake the sauce with sake and reduce the salt in half.

The Orange sauce basically tasted like a ponzu sauce with chilli paste.

I reccomend to just buy ponzu and add chilli paste and save yourself the work.

All in all, the sauces combination were Ok. But not reaaaallly good.

Also, the sauces are very watery so i thikened up with xantham gum.

The rice came out good, I try using different stocks to see how they work with rice, and so far beef has been my least favorite. Although the rice was still the best part of the meal along with the escargo which are always good.

Venison pot pie

gallery_54689_4781_853993.jpg

Plated with mashed taters

gallery_54689_4781_41403.jpg

Holy moly! How did you make this?! :shock:

Bitter melon soup (eaten with rice)

gallery_56306_5160_71043.jpg

gallery_56306_5160_67379.jpg

It's really easy!

A couple of days ago I made a venison roast in the crockpot. I put in a couple of cans of cream of mushroom soup and a package of dried onion soup with a few cans of beef broth. Anyway, I took the leftovers and added carrots, peas and taters. I then put a crust down, poured the venison mixture on top and then placed a few puff pastry rounds.

It was an easy dinner and definitely a keeper.

Last night was a nice dish of pasta shells with beef meatballs and some homemade ricotta cheese to swirl in :smile:

gallery_23695_426_338981.jpg

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Thanks, I collect plates and bowls.

For the rice, one of my secrets is that I only use premium japanese rice. Like tamanishiki or kagayaki. Depends on what is available where I live.

And most of the time I cook it with my japanese rice cooker that i brought back from japan from when i lived there.

p.s. I use a transformer to change the voltage from 120 to 110 which is what the rice cooker uses. Although I heard that plugging it straight in still works, I know for a fact that there is a small difference.

Everybody asks me how do i make the rice, and its just simple, good rice cooker and good rice.

Lasagna

gallery_6080_205_183139.jpg

and garlic bread

gallery_6080_205_151029.jpg

Dinner

gallery_6080_205_318516.jpg

I know this is probably a silly question but I keep coming back to your photo of the garlic bread. It is perfect! I can't seem to get mine to come out like yours...I have a hard time getting the top to brown nicely like yours, it's either burnt around the edges or too soggy around the middle. Do you broil or bake and for how long?

A truly destitute man is not one without riches, but the poor wretch who has never partaken of lobster. - anonymous

Tonight I made Mongolian Beef using Octaveman's recipe posted here

http://recipes.egullet.org/recipes/r1952.html

Served it along with a side salad, stir fried green beans and rice. It was excellent. Didn't take pictures but it was camera worthy. Looked great and tasted even better. The key to soft, tender meat is the velveting method of marinading

Sunday night Mrs. C and the boys baked a salmon fillet with an absolutely delicious glaze of maple syrup, soy sauce, honey mustard, and ginger. Baked sweet potatoes with butter and brown sugar. Yum.

Tonight we made spicy basil chicken (gai pad gaprow) . . .

gallery_42956_2536_55303.jpg

. . . and soup with ground buffalo, sauteed onions, bean sprouts, fish sauce, and long-leaf coriander (canh thit bo nau rau ram, or thereabouts). The soup tasted pretty good, but seemed to be missing something. I may play with the leftovers at breakfast.

gallery_42956_2536_39391.jpg

Grilled Chicken w/Pumpkin Seed Oil, Roasted Maine Heirloom Carrots and Potatoes

gallery_39170_2381_73586.jpg

Lemon-Dijon Baked Cod w/Arugula Salad

gallery_39170_2381_239895.jpg

Roasted Cibola Pork Loin w/Cabbage, Potatoes and Pink Peppercorn Sauce

gallery_39170_2381_65204.jpg

Here are some dinners from last week and the week before:

This was from Saturday, a salt and pepper shrimp that I made for our monthly dinner club. It must have been good, since over two pounds of shrimp were gone in a matter of minutes:

gallery_45680_4699_738703.jpg

Next up, a low carb buffalo chicken strips with celery and homemade blue cheese dressing:

gallery_45680_4699_1842215.jpg

For my book club last week, I made a low carb baked artichoke square. They were pretty tasty:

gallery_45680_4699_1242157.jpg

Lastly, a sausage and pepper saute type thing with olives, basil, cheese and lots of garlic. Could go really well over noodles, but we had it plain.

gallery_45680_4699_226213.jpg

Ditto on the request for the artichoke square recipe. It looks like it would make a good vegetarian offering.

Last night's dinner was inspired by the Filipino cuisine thread. (Well, inspired by the subject header...I didn't actually read through the entire thread. :laugh: )

Chicken adobo:

gallery_11420_759_24108.jpg

Recipe is here.

Catching up with a few more dinners...

gallery_15557_2797_34451.jpg

Grilled chile rubbed pork chop, sauteed snap peas with garlic and butter

gallery_15557_2797_43485.jpg

Grilled chicken breast with Thai spices (it's a rub from Whole Foods and I love it and don't bother making my own because it's inexpensive and I don't think I could do any better), kale with curry and ginger, and zucchini with white wine, garlic, and tomatoes.

gallery_15557_2797_9180.jpg

One of those dinners which, if it doesn't get me thrown out of eGullet, really ought to: I call it Mexican canneloni. Taco seasoned ground beef prepared as per the packet of taco seasoning, wrapped in low carb tortillas, smothered with "queso" which is, let's face it, a small block of Velveeta nuked with a drained can of Ro-Tel tomatoes, and topped with more of the beef mixture. Baked until bubbly.

Yeah, it was good. So sue me :wink:

gallery_15557_2797_6937.jpg

Butternut squash coconut curry soup, garnished with coconut milk and green onions. It might give you an idea of how things are going that I didn't even realize that I'd used the chipped bowl, let alone photographed it, until I was editing the pictures. It didn't affect how good the soup tasted, though. (I served it with a baked chicken breast and a salad.)

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Marcia: Nice to see you posting again. The butternut squash coconut curry soup looked particularly lovely.

Tonight we made a rare Italian meal, from Marcella Hazan: cartwheels with sausage, cream, and tomato; sauteed carrots with vinegar and oregano; and grilled Belgian endive. The box of pasta was labeled “choo choo wheels.” :hmmm: Eh, tasted good anyway.

gallery_42956_2536_62557.jpg

Edited by C. sapidus (log)

This post is for Ce'nedra.

For my supper tonight, I fixed Chicken Kare-kare stew. Though I love having sliced banana hearts in my kare-kare, unfortunately banana hearts are not that readily available here in Korea. I added yard long beans, eggplant and bokchoy to my stew.

My meal.

gallery_48583_3621_88412.jpg

Kare-kare up close. The sauce is basically ground roasted peanuts mixed with ground toasted rice.

gallery_48583_3621_318021.jpg

Kare-kare has to be paired with bagoong - sauteed shrimp paste. One puts a tiny dollop on the rice on the spoon and eat with pieces of meat and veggies with a good serving of sauce.

gallery_48583_3621_261460.jpg

Dinner for the little one was "busketti" - that's spaghetti for us adults.

gallery_48583_3621_115874.jpg

Billy with his dinner.

gallery_48583_3621_192527.jpg

Dessert is bananana bread.

gallery_48583_3621_322410.jpg

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

This post is for Ce'nedra.

For my supper tonight, I fixed Chicken Kare-kare stew. Though I love having sliced banana hearts in my kare-kare, unfortunately banana hearts are not that readily available here in Korea. I added yard long beans, eggplant and bokchoy to my stew.

My meal.

gallery_48583_3621_88412.jpg

Kare-kare up close. The sauce is basically ground roasted peanuts mixed with ground toasted rice.

gallery_48583_3621_318021.jpg

Kare-kare has to be paired with bagoong - sauteed shrimp paste. One puts a tiny dollop on the rice on the spoon and eat with pieces of meat and veggies with a good serving of sauce.

gallery_48583_3621_261460.jpg

Dinner for the little one was "busketti" - that's spaghetti for us adults.

gallery_48583_3621_115874.jpg

Billy with his dinner.

gallery_48583_3621_192527.jpg

Dessert is bananana bread.

gallery_48583_3621_322410.jpg

Can I come to your house for dinner? :wub: The Kare Kare looks so good! Never had it before and left before I got a chance to eat at the new restaurant that opened up listing Kare Kare as their special.

Oh the banana bread looks so moist and yummy.

Milgwimper - the best kare-kare has oxtail, tripe and beef chunks in it (no chicken). Chicken is a quick option. There is also seafood kare-kare that contains shrimp, fatty milkfish belly, baby squid and mussels. So good. And you're welcome anytime in my house. :)

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos