• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

Nakji - I think it took me a minute and a half to inhale it down. :biggrin:

Kim Shook - I made a bigger sandwich today. And made extra crispy oysters on the side to pop in my mouth while munching on my sandwich. It was gooooood! :wub:

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Pasta Negra (with leftover squid from lunch)

pastanegra.jpg

Awesome! I love to see a whole creature on the plate. Good thing the basil leaf is there for scale, otherwise it could be a swimming pool with a giant squid (and pool noodles).

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

angeljolie:I love a good cephalopod!

C. Sapidus: Garlic scapes taste more like mild garlic, with the texture of young spears of asparagus. I love them, and they're super cheap here. I often use them in place of long beans when I make a Thai green curry, and they're great cold, with sesame dressing.

Dodie: I knew it! :biggrin:

Marlene: I shake my fist at your perfect potato rosti. Did you parboil the potatoes before frying them?

Tonight was curry rice, perfect for a cold drizzly day in Tokyo when all of your trains have been running late.

The last time I made curry rice, I doubled the amount of potatoes and carrots I prepped, and froze half. I took them out of the freezer this morning, and they were ready to put right into the curry when I made it this evening. Timesaver tip!

gallery_41378_5233_93005.jpg

We had "eternal" cucumbers on the side. They're such an easy vegetable to prep for dinner!

Dessert was a "marron" kitkat, for the fall season.

gallery_41378_5233_69271.jpg

I got in a baking mood today and made some Menudo Empanadas.

gallery_48583_3741_117742.jpg

And dessert was hubby's favorite (and downfall) - Apple Pie.

gallery_48583_3741_135954.jpg

Billy enjoying his pie.

gallery_48583_3741_51245.jpg

Tom that pastry looks delicious.  What type of sauce is it featured with?  I'm not too familiar with Cornish pastries.

Its "Ted" actually :hmmm:

The sauce is simply a thickened beef broth with onion. Cornish pasties normally are short pastry filled with diced potatoes, turnips, and other vegetables, usually with scraggly bits of lamb, or no meat at all. They were cheap, convenient fillers for the Cornish tin miners and farm laborers to take for their midday meal.

[

Marlene: I shake my fist at your perfect potato rosti. Did you parboil the potatoes before frying them?

I did for about 5 minutes, then stuck them in the fridge for the afternoon. I also always use a cast iron frying pan when making them, and I use yukon golds, rather than russets. :smile:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Last night's dinner was my take on a Cornish pasty. Puff pastry filled with ground beef, onion, carrots, peas, and mushrooms.  We used to call these "Tiddly Oggies" in the Navy!

gallery_50527_4885_103143.jpg

followed by an Orange Creme Brulee

gallery_50527_4885_103029.jpg

You can tell that Momma's still gone - that is one huge pasty :laugh: ! (I know how big those plates are!)

Kim

I dont know if this was 2nd lunch or pre-dinner but when I saw this sign...

gallery_23695_426_100593.jpg

The plate of oysters and clams, the lobster roll and the lobster bisque we just ate were an hour old memory

so we popped in for a snack...

gallery_23695_426_100611.jpg

this is a 2 way plate of Haddock and Oysters with French Fries and Onion rings

gallery_23695_426_325651.jpg

Here we have finally eaten our way down the the oysters

Oh yeah this was out on Cape Cod

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Pasta Negra (with leftover squid from lunch)

pastanegra.jpg

Awesome! I love to see a whole creature on the plate. Good thing the basil leaf is there for scale, otherwise it could be a swimming pool with a giant squid (and pool noodles).

Haha! I prefer cooking the squid whole to minimize shrinkage and preserve its natural juices. Thanks. :biggrin:

nakji, thanks. Btw, what's in your curry? Looks tempting, especially with the shiny grains.

Doddie, kumusta po? Wow menudo empanadas! I'm just wondering though why the pastry is white. How did you do it?

Edited by angeljolie (log)
Angel

You guys are awesome! Everyone has some great food going on here. I've been taking photos of my food for the past few months, so I guess it's time to post something:

gallery_54501_5283_1556363.jpg

This was last Saturday's dinner consisting of Pan-Roasted Chicken Breast with Gnocchi, Cremini Mushrooms, Kabocha Squash and Pan Jus.

My humble offering...

Loved Scallion Pancakes a few weeks ago... so I decided to try pancakes with:

gallery_51818_5098_444022.jpg

Other add-ins. Zucchini, peas (frozen), corn (frozen) and roasted red peppers (jarred).

I made the savory p-cake batter, added minced shallots and plenty of garlic..

Made pancakes.. first "entree sized", by pouring batter into heated, greased saute pan, then top with veggies named above.

Then made bite sized dollops.. again adorned with veggies on the first side, then browned wonderfully once turned. :raz:

Hopefully pics aren't too bad!

NOPE.. Just saw them again and they SUCK.

gallery_51818_5098_433692.jpg

Entree sized up top, attempted app size on other trays, dipping sauces are a soy/sweet concoction and a yoghurt/cilantro/ginger "try-out"...

As usual, they tasted SO much better than they looked, and work at room temp as well.

Jamie Lee

Beauty fades, Dumb lasts forever. - Judge Judy

Angeljolie - Mabuti! :biggrin: I used lard and butter in my empanada dough. It was a hit with hubby that he asked for more menudo empanadas tonight. I'll post pics of how I made my dough and the insides of the empanada later. Mabuhay!

Tom that pastry looks delicious.  What type of sauce is it featured with?  I'm not too familiar with Cornish pastries.

Its "Ted" actually :hmmm:

The sauce is simply a thickened beef broth with onion. Cornish pasties normally are short pastry filled with diced potatoes, turnips, and other vegetables, usually with scraggly bits of lamb, or no meat at all. They were cheap, convenient fillers for the Cornish tin miners and farm laborers to take for their midday meal.

The traditional recipe for Cornish Pasty is chopped skirt beef, thinly sliced (not diced) potatoes, swede, onions and salt and pepper. Swede is rutabaga, called yellow turnip in Cornwall.

nakji, thanks. Btw, what's in your curry? Looks tempting, especially with the shiny grains.

Just regular old COPs - carrot, onion, and potato. I love the rice in Japan! Unfortunately, I have to cook it on the stovetop, so it's always dicey if it's going to turn out or not. Last night, it did.

Cooking risotto gives me an excuse to sit in front of the range and drink without my wife protesting.

Yeah, that's pretty much why I took up cooking in the first place. :biggrin:

Continuing on my tour of Japan's least healthy dishes, tonight I made yakisoba, right out of the package. I think I've discovered the Japanese version of Kraft Dinner. Put the noodles in the pan and add powder! (And veg, and chicken, but minor details..)

gallery_41378_5233_196665.jpg

Dessert was the remains of yesterday's kitkat. But I was dreaming of Dodie's apple pie.

Last weekend:

-Apple, Pear and Parsnip Salad with Toasted Walnuts, Bleu Cheese and Apple Cider Vinaigrette

gallery_41580_4407_128479.jpg

-Rotisserie Chicken. Yes, I use the handy-dandy Ron Popeil 'set it and forget it' equipment.

gallery_41580_4407_108997.jpg

-Rotisserie Chicken, Red Chard with Bacon, Mashed Potatoes, Chicken Glace'

gallery_41580_4407_114250.jpg

-Slow-Roasted Duck, (more of the Red Chard and Mashed Potatoes), Huckleberry Compote

gallery_41580_4407_202330.jpg

Last weekend:

-Apple, Pear and Parsnip Salad with Toasted Walnuts, Bleu Cheese and Apple Cider Vinaigrette

gallery_41580_4407_128479.jpg

-Rotisserie Chicken.  Yes, I use the handy-dandy Ron Popeil 'set it and forget it' equipment. 

gallery_41580_4407_108997.jpg

-Rotisserie Chicken, Red Chard with Bacon, Mashed Potatoes, Chicken Glace'

gallery_41580_4407_114250.jpg

-Slow-Roasted Duck, (more of the Red Chard and Mashed Potatoes), Huckleberry Compote

gallery_41580_4407_202330.jpg

This all looks awesome, David. I especially like the sinful act of adding bacon to mashed potatoes (although you could pretty much add bacon to anything, right?). Salad looks nice and crisp as well.

Everyone, gorgeous food!! Too many to mention!!

David Your chicken looks awesome. Do you find that you use your "set it and forget it" often? Often enough to warrant buying one? I have debated a lot about purchasing one......

Alex noir: The chives make it!

Jaimie Lee: They look good to me, if I was your neighbor I'd need a restraining order.

Nakji: did you notice the similarity between your nakisobi and your avatar?

David Ross: you have raised the bar, again.

I found some half price flank steak this morning. This is how it looked before the grill . . .

gallery_42214_4635_35576.jpg

and after . . .

gallery_42214_4635_89321.jpg

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack