• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

Bruce, did you use lime juice when serving your magnificent maduros? (Plantanos Maduros = ripe sauteed plantains) I find it brings them to a whole new level! :wub: (Where's the drool icon when I ned it? :laugh: )

Judiu: Thank you, and thanks for the tip about lime juice and plantains. I had not heard of that, but I will give it a try next time. :smile:

gallery_41378_5233_48743.jpg

I made a dish that we used to get at one of our favourite restaurants in Hanoi - I don't think it's traditional Vietnamese food, but I love it anyway. It's thinly sliced beef, sauteed with garlic, and topped with a dijon-cream sauce. I served it with garlic scapes and baked potatoes. I also learned that having the microwave and both burners of my stove going causes the power to cut out in my kitchen pod. Also: I hate induction stoves. There's no traction for my fry pan.

gallery_41378_5233_57125.jpg

This past weekend was thanksgiving here in Canada.

I think this is a fairly traditional meal: roast turkey, stuffing, brussel sprouts, sweet potatoes, bread sauce, mashed potatoes, green beans, cranberry sauce and gravy.

gallery_42214_4635_79087.jpg

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

everything looks soo good. a few home dinners from the last two weeks. first up john's favorite of chicken saltimbucco.

gallery_403_5258_7051.jpg

last friday night's dinner for him. pork chop pounded out and quickly fried. pan sauce of witbier, mustard and capers, sauerkraut that was drained and cooked with red onions and the rest of the beer and spaetzle.

gallery_403_5258_64804.jpg

i thought i was going to get the day off from the hawkwatch. well, i got half the day off but from when john got up at 515 am i had half the morning to work on something he has been requesting: coq au vin. i had ann willan's new french cookbook at home and he spotted the recipe. he used to travel a good deal to minneapolis and always ate at least once at Hotel Soffitel where he would always order this. he said they served it with baby potatoes and haricot vert so... being the sweet, kind wife i am TA-DA!

gallery_403_5258_98929.jpg

gallery_403_5258_600688.jpg

gallery_403_5258_71755.jpg

the final result

gallery_403_5258_578.jpg

i cooked with the valgrand and we drank the parallelle "45"

gallery_403_5258_128654.jpg

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Jensen, lovely shoulder, skin looks so crispy.

Ce'nedra, you make me want to try that!

Suzilightening, beautiful meals, all!

Venison and pork meatballs w/ basic marinara, spaghetti w/ truffle oil and a big salad loaded with home-made blue cheese dressing.

gallery_48503_4919_961342.jpg

Edited by nonblonde007 (log)

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

I don't think I've ever made spaghetti with meatballs..now I'm tempted to..perhaps a mix of veal and pork.

Dinner last night, inspired by hzrt8w's pictorials: chicken in ginger and green onion sauce. Or more correctly, ginger, with chicken and green onion sauce. Is a full hand of ginger for two people excessive? :raz: I looooooove ginger.

gallery_50383_3988_167839.jpg

And I made the lemon chicken from the pictorials. Thanks to nonblonde007 for the help. I also used panko and less sugar in the sauce.

gallery_6080_205_106774.jpg

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

And I made the lemon chicken from the pictorials.  Thanks to nonblonde007 for the help.  I also used panko and less sugar in the sauce.

Looks great, Marlene! I've made that dish before, using the same pictorial - it was really lovely!! Thanks for reminding me.

Last night I bought some mozzarella and lean pork mince, took an onion and 2 cauliflowers from the fridge, and made this simple gratin for dinner:

gallery_43137_2974_83038.jpg

Not the prettiest dish in the world, but easy, homey and tasty.

And I made the lemon chicken from the pictorials.  Thanks to nonblonde007 for the help.  I also used panko and less sugar in the sauce.

Looks great, Marlene! I've made that dish before, using the same pictorial - it was really lovely!! Thanks for reminding me.

Last night I bought some mozzarella and lean pork mince, took an onion and 2 cauliflowers from the fridge, and made this simple gratin for dinner:

gallery_43137_2974_83038.jpg

Not the prettiest dish in the world, but easy, homey and tasty.

I beg to differ - that meal is beautiful and those perfectly crusted cauliflowerets are gorgeous!

Kim

Finally, after two months of dickering with Dell :angry: , our computer is up and running. I'll get caught up with a bunch of pictures and bore you all to death:

Mr. Kim's birthday dinner:

Cheeses (Uniekaas Parrano, King's Choice Bleu, Piave Vecchio Veneto), crackers and fig preserves:

gallery_34972_3580_238515.jpg

Rib Eyes from the Belmont Butchery in Richmond:

gallery_34972_3580_1344704.jpg

With mushroom sauce:

gallery_34972_3580_986158.jpg

Apparently delicious (I have tried and tried and am just not a fungus type), but I have no memory at all what I did with this. Dried mushrooms, wine, then.....???

Shrimp w/ remoulade and cocktail sauce:

gallery_34972_3580_1281805.jpg

Caprese:

gallery_34972_3580_952575.jpg

Spinach & Apple Salad w/ Bacon:

gallery_34972_3580_73462.jpg

Pink Lemonade Cupcakes:

gallery_34972_3570_1290622.jpg

Another dinner:

Ribs:

gallery_34972_3580_1358286.jpg

Baby Bleu Salad w/ Spicy Pecans and Cara Red Navels:

gallery_34972_3580_439129.jpg

I also served a delicious Coconut 'Nana pudding that was so good, I posted it in the desserts thread and so ugly that its going in the regrettable meals thread :raz: !

I also made a meal for Mr. Kim's Fantasy Football draft. Included were:

Potato Salad from Cuisine at Home magazine. It's made with grated cucumbers and yogurt and was really light and fresh tasting. The original recipe included green beans, which I didn't add:

gallery_34972_3580_1220484.jpg

and my always popular Bleu Cheese Slaw:

gallery_34972_3580_430995.jpg

BBQ Chicken, spinach fettucine, Southern green beans, biscuits and my grandma's pear preserves:

gallery_34972_3580_1104384.jpg

Pan fried Haloumi cheese on pita:

gallery_34972_3580_774869.jpg

This stuff was fantastic. I was inspired to try it by one of the recent bloggers (sorry - anyone remember who? I have been speed reading them to get caught up lately) and we are hooked!

Chicken Fricassee w/ Figs & Port Sauce, Polenta w/ Mascarpone & Roasted Garlic:

gallery_34972_3580_1153334.jpg

Roasted Green Beans w/ Shallots & Hazelnuts:

gallery_34972_3580_100306.jpg

Even I liked these and I do not usually like my beans to crunch (reference above 'Southern Green Beans' :wink: )!

Store boughten desserts :rolleyes: :

gallery_34972_3580_46300.jpg

Shredded beef sandwiches w/ shaved Parm. & red onion and fig compote, tots :wub: and Winter corn (frozen sweet corn heated up with no water and a small can of creamed corn):

gallery_34972_3580_642136.jpg

Well, that's all right now. I truly hope that I haven't bored everyone to death or broken any site rules about how many pictures you can post at one time! I promise the next post will be more restrained!

Kim

Kim, that steak sandwich and tots dinner looks so comforting. And wow the melty cheese just makes me want to reach in there and grab a bite! It's great to see you catching up with posting all the pics. Everything looks fabulous.

Edited by monavano (log)

I was totally unfamiliar with nem nuong paste, so I "Googled" it. Found lots of different versions and discussions. Ce'nedra, it sounds like you can buy the meat mixture already prepared. I am assuming that you go to a Vietnamese grocery store.

Has anyone made their own? I found some recipes on Google. I am looking at similarities. I should probably know this, but what is potato starch. Can cornstarch be used instead?

Thanks for any help.

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes

HI Kim!!

Food looks absolutely divine!

Could you share your lemonade cupcake recipe with little ole me?  :smile:

Hi, Shelby! I'll be glad to share the recipe. Here you go! This time when I made them, I frosted them with lemon buttercream. We like lemony stuff here! Hope you like them!

Kim

HI Kim!!

Food looks absolutely divine!

Could you share your lemonade cupcake recipe with little ole me?  :smile:

Hi, Shelby! I'll be glad to share the recipe. Here you go! This time when I made them, I frosted them with lemon buttercream. We like lemony stuff here! Hope you like them!

Kim

Thanks sweetie!! We LOVE lemony stuff too!