• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

Bruce, bonus beer? Wow...you lead a charmed life!

Dinner here was an ex-pat's Thanksgiving. It's too difficult to find turkey outside of American TG season so I went with a roasted chicken, served with Brussels sprouts, sausage stuffing, and caramelised onion mashed potatoes (think "garlic mashed potatoes" made with caramelised onions instead of garlic).

gallery_11420_759_10798.jpg

Dessert was a quince and apple crisp (thanks again go to Pille for making me think about quince, which in turn led me to grab a couple when I saw them at the market on Saturday).

A very simple dinner last night. My mum had given me some overgrown zucchini, which I grated and mixed with an equal amount of mince meat (half beef, half pork), 2 eggs and seasonings. Drizzled with mayonnaise and served with chopped scallions and pickled cucumbers:

gallery_43137_2974_6927.jpg

Won't win any prizes for its look, but my bf ate about 10 of them in one go :biggrin:

Yesterday's Roast Beef is todays Beef Pot Pie. :wub:

I almost ran out of pastry for the pie cover... so my pie definitely has a rustic look.

gallery_48583_3621_39722.jpg

Hubby had two servings and had to stop himself from eating more. :biggrin:

gallery_48583_3621_140649.jpg

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

That beef pot pie looks amazing! I would totally have to stop myself from eating the whole pan!

Now that I'm finally in a kitchen with running water and a working stove again, I've been back over the heat! Last night was a pasta amatriciana that was perfect after a rainy day spent exploring shrines.

gallery_41378_5233_156263.jpg

I don't have an oven anymore, though, so I'll be watching this thread for recipes I can make on two burners.

That beef pot pie looks amazing! I would totally have to stop myself from eating the whole pan!

Now that I'm finally in a kitchen with running water and a working stove again, I've been back over the heat! Last night was a pasta amatriciana that was perfect after a rainy day spent exploring shrines.

gallery_41378_5233_156263.jpg

I don't have an oven anymore, though, so I'll be watching this thread for recipes I can make on two burners.

OMG this looks good. Is this made with bacon in the sauce?

Hi, everyone! I am sort of on line again! Our computer is still in rehab :angry: , but we hooked up the daughter’s old machine so we could at least surf and read our email again. It is full of her stuff and an old and slow one, so I can’t post any photos yet. I am still taking pictures of my meals, so I’ll do a big old download when we are up and running again. I have spent the last week getting caught up here on the dinner thread and on the blogs and there are so many beautiful meals that I can’t comment on them all, but I do have a couple of requests/comments/questions:

Prawncracker – could I have the recipe for the goat cheese and red onion tarts that Tug made? They look fantastic!

Wendy – your mac n cheese looks exactly like I want mine to. Except it never does. Recipe, maybe?? Please!

Mifi – that bison sandwich had me drooling!

Monavano – I am definitely making that white gazpacho – it looks wonderful! By the way – I have bookmarked your site – I live in Richmond, but lived my whole life until college in Alexandria – went to TC Wms. I miss Alexandria and come back whenever I can!

Tonight will be slow cooked beef sandwiches with Red Onion & fig compote and shaved Parmesan, tots :wub: & winter corn (my own 'invention' - a bag of frozen sweet corn and a small can of creamed corn :raz: ). Dessert will be chocolate chip banana bread.

Hi, everyone!  I am sort of on line again!  Our computer is still in rehab :angry: , but we hooked up the daughter’s old machine so we could at least surf and read our email again.  It is full of her stuff and an old and slow one, so I can’t post any photos yet. I am still taking pictures of my meals, so I’ll do a big old download when we are up and running again.  I have spent the last week getting caught up here on the dinner thread and on the blogs and there are so many beautiful meals that I can’t comment on them all, but I do have a couple of requests/comments/questions:

Prawncracker – could I have the recipe for the goat cheese and red onion tarts that Tug made?  They look fantastic!

Wendy – your mac n cheese looks exactly like I want mine to.  Except it never does.  Recipe, maybe??  Please!

Mifi – that bison sandwich had me drooling!

Monavano – I am definitely making that white gazpacho – it looks wonderful!  By the way – I have bookmarked your site – I live in Richmond, but lived my whole life until college in Alexandria – went to TC Wms.  I miss Alexandria and come back whenever I can!

Tonight will be slow cooked beef sandwiches with Red Onion & fig compote and shaved Parmesan, tots  :wub: & winter corn (my own 'invention' - a bag of frozen sweet corn and a small can of creamed corn  :raz: ).  Dessert will be chocolate chip banana bread.

Chocolate chip banana bread sounds awesome. I make a mean banana bread and the chocolate would just put it over the top. Funny, I lived in Richmond for 3 years before moving back to Alexandria. I miss cuban sandwiches at Kuba Kuba and the sundried tomato bisque at Strawberry Street Cafe (and market). Best. Soup. Ever.

Prawncracker – could I have the recipe for the goat cheese and red onion tarts that Tug made?  They look fantastic!

You're in luck, i've added this recipe to the Recipe Gullet click!

Tonight was spaghetti with Italian sweet sausage, red peppers, onions, garlic, red pepper flakes, parsley and parm tossed in butter and olive oil

gallery_6080_205_59523.jpg

and biscuits! Best I've ever done.

gallery_6080_205_77561.jpg

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Damn I was already thinking about biscuits all day!!!

Even bought some Jimmy Dean sausage to make gravy

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Marlene: Wow, those biscuits look light and flaky as the dickens. Pasta looks delicious, too.

Despite the sweltering summer heat, everyone’s cool-weather meals inspired our dinner tonight: chicken in Oaxacan yellow mole with green beans and potatoes, from Mexican Everyday. Guajillo chiles provided gentle heat; and onions, garlic, cinnamon, allspice, cumin, and cilantro contributed lovely aromas. The boys approved.

gallery_42956_2536_44362.jpg

I found wonderfully black and mushy plantains at the Latino market, and decided to try fried plantains. I never made them before, but they turned out sweet enough to be both a vegetable and a dessert. The boys approved again.

gallery_42956_2536_49395.jpg

Prawn.........Osso bucco is one of my very favorite things, with the marrow being #1. Yours gave me pleasant dreams! :wink:

Bruce, I am with the boys here.

Lemon Chicken, very tart with a satisfying crunch.

gallery_48503_4919_464002.jpg

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Thanks Bruce, I was pretty happy with this batch. I used Ann T's recipe but I used a triple folding method advocated by Fine Cooking and I got a higher biscuit than I ever had!

Nonblonde007 that lemon chicken looks fabulous. Do you have a recipe that you use? Would you share it? :smile:

Marlene

Thank you Marlene. Usually, I just follow this thread, lemon chicken

with a few adjustments for my tastes. Less sugar, more fresh lemon juice, and I use panko instead of breadcrumbs. I have a horrible habit of never measuring anything, so I honestly can't give an exact recipe. :rolleyes:

Edited by nonblonde007 (log)

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

It's good to be back home after our trip to Italy!

After 18 days of pasta, truffles and icecream we needed something light so the first night we were home I made a quick trip to the supermarket for this easy dinner:

gallery_21505_2929_23605.jpg

salad with salmon and mustard/honey dressing

recipe here on markemorses blog.

Yesterday was chilly and grey and I wanted to make soup!

Eggplant- yellow splitpea soup with mint and yoghurt

gallery_21505_2929_39489.jpg

salad with feta and pomegranate

gallery_21505_2929_63849.jpg

Dinner tonight was quick to make.

Red leaf lettuce salad with a sesame and red chili vinaigrette (like the galbi houses in Korea serve),

gallery_41378_5233_158720.jpg

Pan-fried mok-sal (pork neck);

gallery_41378_5233_122793.jpg

And because there wasn't enough pork fat already, some gyoza I had in the freezer.

gallery_41378_5233_133467.jpg

Please note the empty butter container doubling as a dip container. I need some dishes!

Chufi, your salmon looks so fresh. Now I live near a fish shop, I have to remember to go in and pick a piece up some time.

It was breakfast at dinner time last night.

Boiled potatoes and steamed yams were cubed and fried up in bacon drippings with orange and red bell peppers, and served with crumbled bacon, all topped with drippy fried eggs. Spinach sauteed in bacon fat with garlic, and served alongside.

Between last night's meal and frenchfried yams, I've concluded that I like yams accented with salt better than with additional sweet. Those crispy yam cubes with bacon were so very good. I will be doing that again!

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Thank you Marlene.  Usually, I just follow this thread, lemon chicken

with a few adjustments for my tastes.  Less sugar, more fresh lemon juice, and I use panko instead of breadcrumbs.  I have a horrible habit of never measuring anything, so I honestly can't give an exact recipe.  :rolleyes:

Thanks for directing me to this thread. I think this will go on the menu for tomorrow!

Marlene

Last evening sandwiches made with Nigella Lawsonesque 24-hour pork shoulder that I always think of as Maggiethecat's 24-hour pork shoulder.

Rich, falling-apart pork on beautiful rolls made by the banh mi place where I'd stopped in to get gai cuon for lunch, dressed with mayonnaise fortified with minced capers, pickle, anchovy, parsley, plus crunchy large-gauge sea salt and very thin slices of the excellent big sweet onion the one guy at the farmer's market has been having. Coleslaw and Charlie's Angels The Sammy Davis Jr. Kidnap Caper alongside.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

I found wonderfully black and mushy plantains at the Latino market, and decided to try fried plantains. I never made them before, but they turned out sweet enough to be both a vegetable and a dessert. The boys approved again.

gallery_42956_2536_49395.jpg

Bruce, did you use lime juice when serving your magnificent maduros? (Plantanos Maduros = ripe sauteed plantains) I find it brings them to a whole new level! :wub: (Where's the drool icon when I ned it? :laugh: )

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Klary.....wow! Beautiful.

Korean braised short ribs, marinated tofu, rice and various pickles.

gallery_48503_4919_556740.jpg

Brenda