• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

Thanks, eynkiora! Based on the other pictures I've seen on this thread, that's a huge compliment. The fun play on the colors was my girlfriend's idea. I only wish we could have found green mozz and white tomatoes to go with the red basil. :raz:

Marcia:

If I can post those anemic scallion pancakes, you surely can post whatever you're cooking!  :laugh:

That's kind of the problem....I'm not really cooking much right now :sad: . We moved and then have had one crisis after another so the kitchen STILL isn't really stocked and by the time we start to think about dinner we're too starved to go to the grocery store and then cook.

I used to post a lot more here...and yes, the ordinary stuff like grilled hot dogs, cole slaw, and deviled eggs! I also want to encourage those who cook the ordinary foodstuffs of day to day dinners because those are the foods we remember and turn to when we need comfort.

I'm really looking forward to having the time and energy to cook again, even if it still is annoyingly awkward in my new kitchen. And yes, I'll take pictures and post 'em!

And your scallion pancakes still look so good and eggy and delicious and exactly the kind of food I was in the mood for :biggrin: !

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Tonight I made, for the very first time that I can remember, meatloaf. I used Alton Brown's recipe from Good Eats, with some changes. It had a wonderfully crisp exterior, though the interior was a bit dry (I used an 80-something% lean ground beef). The first slice (a nice crispy end bit) went between two slices of a nice boule with a bit of ketchup. Would have been better with a slice of tomato, but there was none to be had.

The second, thinner, slice went straight into my mouth from the plate.

Caramels from Kerry Beal's recipe (with some sea salt stirred in at the end) for dessert, and life is good in Japan. :smile:

The ruby redness of the Borscht looks brilliant! Makes me want to try it for myself for the first time. It's never appealed to me before, does it taste as good as it looks?

There's an autumnal feeling in the air today. So instead of the Italian style Osso Bucco dish i usually cook i did a more unctuous braised veal shins in red wine. It was very much like a beouf bourginon, very satisfying and suited the weather nicely!

I also couldn't resist taking a snap of the bone marrow on toast - a little fleur de sel and arbequina olive oil, i was in heaven!

gallery_52657_4505_392097.jpg

gallery_52657_4505_220321.jpg

The ruby redness of the Borscht looks brilliant!  Makes me want to try it for myself for the first time.  It's never appealed to me before, does it taste as good as it looks?

Better. The Spawn, who hates beets AND caraway, scarfed it down.

My recipe is here and the inspiration for that recipe is on Pille's Nami-Nami blog.

The only tip I have for borscht is this: resist the temptation to add meat/sausage. I have done that in the past and it just doesn't work out.

(Oh, the osso bucco looks great. Hell, the potatoes alone look great!)

Hello everyone. I've not been posting much for the past two weeks. Computer issues which is really a pain in the you know what, and then too busy to devote my normal amount of time to cooking.

But tonight I hit a couple of homers.

First-Dungeness Crab Cakes. My fishmonger got 100lbs. of fresh Dungeness out of Alaska delivered to his store on Friday morning-and I happened to stop by at 10am, only one hour after he had opened and started selling the beauties. (I found out that most of the restaurants in town only take deliveries of fresh seafood Wednesday thru Saturday-but my fish guy gets fresh seafood delivered in 6 days a week. Yeah!).

Now you probably know we take our crab cakes pretty seriously up here in the Northwest. I bind mine with homemade mayonnaise rather than just using an egg. I dip the crab cake in fresh bread crumbs, then fry them in only clarified butter. A dollop of the mayonnaise on top of the crab cake just adds to the richness of this dish. It's actually pretty decadent-and delicious.

gallery_41580_4407_40567.jpg

gallery_41580_4407_16663.jpg

When I looked over the fresh seafood in the market I immediately put my sights on the fresh Black Cod. My fishmonger had gotten some whole black cod delivered that morning-fresh out of Alaska. Black Cod is also sometimes called 'Sablefish.' It is buttery, soft, oily and tender.

I used an old recipe from the Alaskan Brewing Company for the sauce. I cooked with their 'Smoked Porter Ale' ale a few years back at a local cooking expo. We used the Smoked Porter to make a glaze for Black Cod. The Smoked Porter is a thick, dark beer. The smoke comes from the malt-which is smoked over old alderwood boards that were once part of a fish cannery. Pretty unique isn't it? Using alderwood from a fish cannery to smoke malt for Porter.

You can get the recipe for the smoked porter sauce off their website. But buyer beware-Alaskan Smoked Porter is very rare and they only release it once a year, usually in December. I was lucky my fishmonger had BOTH the Black Cod and the Smoked Porter.

I thought the recipe off the website was a bit sweet for my tastes, so I added some 'Chinkiang Black Vinegar' (Chinese Black Vinegar), to make the sauce more sour. I served the cod on a bed of bok choy and mushrooms.

gallery_41580_4407_7675.jpg

gallery_41580_4407_74531.jpg

Another Sunday afternoon....another birthday dinner. My M-I-L's today and just the 3 of us for dinner.

I started with a orange and yellow tomato salad with cucumbers and spicy poached shrimp

gallery_23695_426_313018.jpg

and a little something to discuss our upcoming trip to Munich over...Pork Schnitzle, potato dumplings, red cabbage and gravey

gallery_23695_426_288988.jpg

Pinot grigio in the glasses and bakery German Chocolate cake and coffee later

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Today was KyHubby's birthday and I made his favorite: Roast Beef with Veggies (+ Gravy).

gallery_48583_3741_98404.jpg

Birthday boy's plate...

gallery_48583_3741_63671.jpg

And dessert was bananana bread...

gallery_48583_3741_349424.jpg

gallery_48583_3741_116420.jpg

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

So, this isn't pretty to look at, but it was really good! I'm the contributor of the "not so pretty meals" here :raz:

Venison meatloaf with green beans and mashed 'taters

gallery_54689_4781_735085.jpg

The meatloaf turned out really good. I had some leftover rice that I mixed in. I put big slabs of fresh mozz cheese in the middle and topped the loaf with slices of tomatoes out of the garden.

gallery_54689_4781_867493.jpg

I like some mashed taters with my butter :biggrin:

Great looking dishes everyone!

David I am especially drooling over your crab cakes!  What kind of spices do you add to those?

And, would you mind shipping me some  :raz:

For the crabcakes I start by making a homemade mayonnaise-egg, lemon juice, dijon mustard, salt, pepper and add both olive oil and canola oil. Any basic mayonnaise recipe will do. I use a blender. This recipe also called for worcestershire and Tabasco in the mayonnnaise. I didn't add any herbs or other seasonings.

In the crab cakes I use fresh Dungeness crab, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, green onion, some of the mayonnaise and then a bit of fresh white bread crumbs. I added just a bit of Paul Prudhomme Seafood Magic Cajun seasoning.

Then I saute the crabcakes in a non-stick skillet using clarified butter-about 3-4 minutes per side just until they get a nice golden brown color and a bit of crust.

Thanks for asking. I'm thinking of doing a platter of little crab cakes for an office Holiday party-if my company will spring for the cost of the crab.

David, beautiful pics. The DC/Maryland area takes the crab cake serious too and man, that looks good!. Shelby's meatloaf makes me wish the temperature here would drop about 30 degrees :angry:

Edited by monavano (log)

David, I'll spring for the crab :raz:

Seriously, thanks for the recipe. I really really want to make this. I have to order the crab--it's like $25 a crab and that doesn't include shipping :wacko:

Monavano lol it was like 90 degrees here yesterday, but meatloaf sounded so good I couldn't resist.

By the way, our crab season is starting to wind down. The new season will start about December 1 depending on ocean conditions, so if you can wait until then to order or buy Dungeness Crab from the Pacific Northwest, you'll be in for a treat of the first of the season crab.

By the way, our crab season is starting to wind down.  The new season will start about December 1 depending on ocean conditions, so if you can wait until then to order or buy Dungeness Crab from the Pacific Northwest, you'll be in for a treat of the first of the season crab.

David, do you have an online source for crab delivery?

By the way, our crab season is starting to wind down.  The new season will start about December 1 depending on ocean conditions, so if you can wait until then to order or buy Dungeness Crab from the Pacific Northwest, you'll be in for a treat of the first of the season crab.

Try www.pikeplacefish.com. It's the guys who throw the salmon at the market in Seattle. While the throwing bit is a part of their shtick to tourists, they do have really good seafood. I looked at the site today and their Dungeness crabs are $24.95 each. I think they would be reliable. Since I live in Spokane, (only a 45 minutes flight from Seattle), I can get fresh crabs within a day of harvest so I don't have to shop online, but I'm sure the guys at the market would ship you really fresh crabs.

Try www.pikeplacefish.com. It's the guys who throw the salmon at the market in Seattle. While the throwing bit is a part of their shtick to tourists, they do have really good seafood. I looked at the site today and their Dungeness crabs are $24.95 each. I think they would be reliable. Since I live in Spokane, (only a 45 minutes flight from Seattle), I can get fresh crabs within a day of harvest so I don't have to shop online, but I'm sure the guys at the market would ship you really fresh crabs.

That's where I get mine, too.

I am enjoying the hearty fall meals and lovely seafood. Tonight the boys requested ribs.

gallery_42956_2536_19952.jpg

We also had eternal cucumbers (long gone by dinnertime), and Rohati’s crisp-fried potatoes with chile and shallot sambal (from Cradle of Flavor (click).

gallery_42956_2536_30670.jpg

For dessert, I helped the boys make hot fudge sauce for ice cream sundaes. Home-made Russian imperial stout for me (picture from yesterday). Apparently, we brewed two cases of beer and completely forgot about the second case. Bonus beer! :biggrin:

gallery_42956_2536_20232.jpg